The discovery thread!
Feb 13, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #72,541 of 102,994
Excellent info!
Btw. do you have any good source of new paper/nylon dampers? Or do you make them yourself?
I bought my mod needs on ali
Lot of store sell them, just write the keywords "tuning foam earphone"
There are low density and high density, and there are "imported tuning foam" which is higher density
And also i like to buy animal foam toys from 1 dollar store (its a capsule with animal shaped foam inside, when you dip the capsule inside hot water, the capsule will melt and the foam pop up 😁 )
That animal foam is considered medium density foam and you can cut as you want.

While the nylon damper the keywords are "mesh earphone" you will find result with mesh 500, mesh 300 etc
The numbers here showing the density also, so bigger number = dampening more.

put keywords "Y5 paper tuning" will have result of paper damper y1 y2 y3 y4 y5, bigger number also showing bigger density.

And if you need grill replacement for end nozzle the keywords are "earphone dust filter" coming in many sizes too.

They are cheap so having lot of material is very useful if you are into mod thing
But as this mod requires lot of "trial and error", measurement tools are highly recommended to make sure you have your desired tuning, and to make sure you don't have channel imbalance between L and R unit.

Shenzhen audio sells filters for various Moondrop products which is widely applicable to other IEMs. $4.99 for 6 set with tool.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-earphone-filter-accessories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone?variant=3337294702followt

these also works. And tanchjim filters too
Thanks

As a follow-up, I should mention that Truthear Official Store on AliExpress have been great to deal with. They are replacing the my Shio. I would have loved to find out what the technical solution is to the issue, but I think because of language issues that is too difficult. I did find out from interrogating the USB ports on both Windows and OSX that the firmware update changed the PID on my Shio from F076 (as required for the software to work) to 6000, and it looks like the software no longer recognises the PID. So looks like it was an obscure technical error.
Wow great service, glad you got your bricked shio replaced!

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #72,542 of 102,994
What is the source of information/insight that Joyodio is KZ- related?
To me it looks TRN-like all the way - similar looking shells and odd expectations that someone would buy 7-mm DD + two BAs for $80 because of the tuning switches (?!?)
With all other IEMs out there, it is a hard pass for me.
I would rather get my third copies of ASX + ESX to get more modications for this money :)

I have all the plethora of the blue shades of cables to totally enjoy my IEMs :)
Many japanese source revealed KZ and Joyodio shares same OEM components even the starline ear tips.

Well I’m passing it as well, 80USD is HEXA level. 40 is my buy line for that IEM.

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #72,543 of 102,994
As a follow-up, I should mention that Truthear Official Store on AliExpress have been great to deal with. They are replacing the my Shio. I would have loved to find out what the technical solution is to the issue, but I think because of language issues that is too difficult. I did find out from interrogating the USB ports on both Windows and OSX that the firmware update changed the PID on my Shio from F076 (as required for the software to work) to 6000, and it looks like the software no longer recognises the PID. So looks like it was an obscure technical error.

Bravo to Truthear, great service to replace it, glad to hear it is all sorted out!

Haha I guess once bitten twice shy, will you still be trying to update the firmware? I guess if one needs to update the SHIO, better place it on a supportive cushion (don't let it hang in the air) and make sure nothing comes within 5 metres of touching the dongle during firmware update!!!! Not even a fan blowing at the SHIO!

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #72,544 of 102,994
Bravo to Truthear, great service to replace it, glad to hear it is all sorted out!

Haha I guess once bitten twice shy, will you still be trying to update the firmware? I guess if one needs to update the SHIO, better place it on a supportive cushion (don't let it hang in the air) and make sure nothing comes within 5 metres of touching the dongle during firmware update!!!! Not even a fan blowing at the SHIO!
Ha, ha. Yes, and we have had a lot of fans running in the house. In the middle of a heatwave. Maybe I won't try the update again. I mostly use it with DAP and OSX desktop. And my Windows laptop I have now split into a dual operating system with Linux Mint with DeadBeef and Audacity running direct to USD DAC. So if it works okay with the Linux OS I will probably leave it in original condition.

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #72,545 of 102,994
What is the source of information/insight that Joyodio is KZ- related?
To me it looks TRN-like all the way - similar looking shells and odd expectations that someone would buy 7-mm DD + two BAs for $80 because of the tuning switches (?!?)
With all other IEMs out there, it is a hard pass for me.
I would rather get my third copies of ASX + ESX to get more modications for this money :)

I have all the plethora of the blue shades of cables to totally enjoy my IEMs :)
no official confirmation, we asked in KZ discord and no response.
but so far,
- the marketing material have the same vibe with KZ marketing material..
- It uses KZ Starline Eartips.
- It uses KZ supposedly in-house custom DD.
poosibly made in the same factory or supplied by the same OEM but...

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #72,546 of 102,994
Flo Audio Cable Pair result:
A54D8C91-6062-4D7B-A668-EB16F48C3798.jpeg

Amped :
#0: Softears RSV Stock cable; Well Balanced gain
#1: See Audio x Hakugei Collab. Cable (Bravery OG Stock) 3.5mm SE; good U-tuning
#2 Mangird Tea Stock SPC 4.4mm ; U tuning
#3 Truthear Stock cable 3.5mm SE ; balanced gain
#4 NiceHCK DB3 stock cable : V-tuning
Line-out:
Lily Stock cable….Couldn’t find better balanced cable other than Stock for LO ; well balanced to vocal neutral with great sense of resolution x air, I don’t know why but Lily matches better with 3.5mm SE rather than balanced cables, especially in imaging technicalities, SE performs better on most of occasion for Lily.

Terrible Match:
#1 Sea-Elf Hakugei cable; Again Weird mid boost with rolled off treble, and some peaks and dips😵
#2: Banned Brand (Y/i/n/yoo) cable; musks all spectrum with fog, Muddy air plane complementary buds class.

Sea-Elf’s cable (left) vs See Audio x Hakugei Collab cable (right) , the See Audio one definitely feels better made, similar cable to Linsoul’s LSC08 UPOCC.
615B6413-E966-4C2D-8ADD-3800181F76C8.jpeg

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #72,547 of 102,994
Hello friends,
I have just posted my review for the Letshuoer x Gizaudio Galileo. Love the Galileo for its rich, lovely sound tonality, it sounds comfortable and relaxing. Although would have loved some more punch to the lower end and a tad bit more depth to the soundstage.
Please read my complete review here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-x-gizaudio-galileo.26290/reviews#review-30205

Some eye-candy:-
2.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the writeup.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #72,548 of 102,994
Hello friends,
I have just posted my review for the Letshuoer x Gizaudio Galileo. Love the Galileo for its rich, lovely sound tonality, it sounds comfortable and relaxing. Although would have loved some more punch to the lower end and a tad bit more depth to the soundstage.
Please read my complete review here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-x-gizaudio-galileo.26290/reviews#review-30205

Some eye-candy:-
2.jpg
4.jpg
9.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the writeup.
Your photos are good. Letshuoer can use these as marketing materials

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #72,549 of 102,994
Your photos are good. Letshuoer can use these as marketing materials
haha Thanks man <3 I love clicking good images and the pair here is super beautiful on its own as well.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #72,551 of 102,994
Just curious, but is anyone here reviewing the Ling Longs?

If you wait a week, a "PRO/MAX/ULTRA" version of the KZ Ling Long will inevitably be released haha.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #72,552 of 102,994
Not sure whether this review was shared before, but watching it made me curious about Ling Long’s potential, particularly due to it’s open back design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back