The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #67,907 of 101,496
Thank to @yaps66 i have come to like jazz, but i have one question... Is jazz just a bunch of wrong note being play together?
That is exactly how I felt when I had to listen to my father's "wonky" music or jazz music by another name, every Sunday. Now I have been well and truly converted! I now actively seek out some of those old tracks and I love listening to them.

I have to agree that in Raw Jazz, there are, what may seem like lots of discordant notes, then it aĺl comes together. Pushing the boundary of musical harmony as far as they can without losing their audience then pulling it back. Here are a few which are easier to digest:

Grant Green - Idle Moments

How I see (or hear) it is this, it is like trapeze artists going to the very edge of danger and then rescue at the last minute! Then you get the fusion which aims to fuse together what you do know but in a different way.

Klazz Brothers
Thanks to @AmericanSpirit

Then you get smooth jazz, easier to digest.

Brian Culbertson

Another way to look at it is music from other than Western culture, some of which takes getting used to. After a while it is perfectly normal!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #67,908 of 101,496
I forgot to have my input about Crin x FiiO, FHE.
3435CE0D-1D3C-4BC5-9D16-538F1DF1DC43.jpeg

B5DC2F73-6C4B-4378-A539-9867C06EC8D1.jpeg

CF64642E-0485-450E-B86D-A3F2F72E8255.png

▶︎Great tuning. Unlike Dusk, FHE surely is a basshead IEM properly re-done.

▶︎very neutral mid, upper mid (2.8khz) has a little peak, which gives me an impression of on live stage, everything sounds in order, nicely tuned, with immersive high-end JBL subwoofers rolling, then a narrow spotlight is on “a female vocal’s lip 👄 “ .

▶︎With the spotlighting, it still sounds within the term of natural timbre, slightly colored, because of very solid and neutral mid-range backed up with inoffensively tined treble

▶︎FHE is musical, not a technical monater, but I found FHE is very pleasant to listen to

—VS HEXA?
6033E9A1-445B-4BBF-8F40-C7456BC8F8C8.jpeg

HEXA have better upper registers IMO when compared to Dusk / FHE, and par with Yume or Softears RSV, in terms of smooth and rich balanced tonality. Dusk has a certain spike, that some may find offensive depending on their gain spots. Not for RSV or HEXA.
F208EB82-01B0-402B-BE1B-E1B21AC43816.png

FHE and HEXA is a very different IEM, FHE is focused on how to entertain listeners, while HEXA is trying to be clean yet balanced neutral approach taking in place (regardless it’s $79 sub$100, a very hard to attain tuning HEXA has got). Technically HEXA is an upper-hand in every spectrum, FHE while is an IMAX Movie theater in an IEM form.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #67,909 of 101,496
Thank to @yaps66 i have come to like jazz, but i have one question... Is jazz just a bunch of wrong note being play together?

As a jazz trained saxophonist and drummer, I can tell you that jazz is very much the opposite. It does more than almost any other genre to push the boundaries of chord and scale structures within songs, arrangements, and harmonies. Sometimes you'll run into particular jazz musicians or groups that ignore much of conventional music theory and look at sonic dissonance as another expression of one's self through music rather than the "wrong notes."

One of the cool things about jazz is that since its inception it has always been played as a medium open to interpretation. Whether your listening to your first jazz piece or recording your fiftieth, your ears put you on equal footing when it comes to listening. Or said another way, no matter how much a giant in the jazz genre tells you that the music theory means that the particular scales and structures he's/she's/they're using make sense, if your ears tell you otherwise thats all you need to know.

Jazz is a great genre and like any genre that has existed for a long time, there are offshoots, like the avante garde, experimental jazz, acid jazz, etc that go pretty far in deviating from the more mainstream iterations. As with any genre and its sub-genres, it's up to you to decide if those deviations hold any interest or musical value for you.

There was a period that peaked in the late 90s IMO where jazz as a genre became largely hamstrung by allowing its most prominent gatekeepers to be pretentious fools who seemed to be involved in some imaginary race to see who could find the weirdest/most novel act calling itself jazz and turn it into the direction of the genre for the next generation. That led to a time when smooth jazz and various experimental or avante garde styles were the only kinds of "jazz" music getting any press. Thankfully abysmal sales and a movement amongst musicians to bring the musical appeal to a more mainstream audience eventually righted the ship, so to speak. As a result, jazz and all its related sub-genres are enjoying a period of popularity unlike any we've seen in decades.

TL;DR: If the music doesn't sound like music to you, then it's not. Expert opinions need not apply. Jazz as a genre is wide ranging and complex so explore thoroughly before deciding on your preference for it.

Edit: spelling and punctuation

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #67,910 of 101,496
That is exactly how I felt when I had to listen to my father's "wonky" music or jazz music by another name, every Sunday. Now I have been well and truly converted! I now actively seek out some of those old tracks and I love listening to them.

I have to agree that in Raw Jazz, there are, what may seem like lots of discordant notes, then it aĺl comes together. Pushing the boundary of musical harmony as far as they can without losing their audience then pulling it back. Here are a few which are easier to digest:

Grant Green - Idle Moments

How I see (or hear) it is this, it is like trapeze artists going to the very edge of danger and then rescue at the last minute! Then you get the fusion which aims to fuse together what you do know but in a different way.

Klazz Brothers
Thanks to @AmericanSpirit

Then you get smooth jazz, easier to digest.

Brian Culbertson

Another way to look at it is music from other than Western culture, some of which takes getting used to. After a while it is perfectly normal!

I’d like to add Hiromi’s tracks as a good modern jazz. She played at Opening Ceremony of Tokyo Olympic.

And this progressive rock x Jazz, everything is in unison. No cacophony. Yea piano for jazz does use some of contradicting tonal expression.

Letting aside smooth piano jazz Brad Medau

And my favorite Pat Metheny

some old but classy Keith Jarrett

Jazz is “live chat” using instruments to me. You will learn “non-verbal” expressions of emotion, to the degree of actual conversation is even possible in Jazz world. Lyrics? It’s not necessary.

In Japanese Zen or more natively “wabi & sabi “ spirit —a philosophy of simplicity and subtraction— sometime words are rather obsolete and even nuisance. People could communicate with by just looking eyes, see body expressions. That’s something happening in Jazz.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #67,911 of 101,496
I’d like to add Hiromi’s tracks as a good modern jazz. She played at Opening Ceremony of Tokyo Olympic.

And this progressive rock x Jazz, everything is in unison. No cacophony. Yea piano for jazz does use some of contradicting tonal expression.

Letting aside smooth piano jazz Brad Medau

And my favorite Pat Metheny

some old but classy Keith Jarrett

Jazz is “live chat” using instruments to me. You will learn “non-verbal” expressions of emotion, to the degree of actual conversation is even possible in Jazz world. Lyrics? It’s not necessary.

In Japanese Zen or more natively “wabi & sabi “ spirit —a philosophy of simplicity and subtraction— sometime words are rather obsolete and even nuisance. People could communicate with by just looking eyes, see body expressions. That’s something happening in Jazz.

Lots of discovery here. I will be exploring some of the works of these musicians.

Add to that "wabi & sabi, another discovery of unspoken language.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #67,912 of 101,496
Nov 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #67,913 of 101,496
Lots of discovery here. I will be exploring some of the works of these musicians.

Add to that "wabi & sabi, another discovery of unspoken language.
Wabi-sabi (not wasabi) ‘s virtue in visual way vs traditional gorgeous beauty.

Beautiful flowers:
11716078-6E1E-479B-B043-3E7D568888E9.jpeg

Wabi-Sabi flowers:
1D5EAC42-F224-4FD7-861D-3CA9B3C0FC47.jpeg

Basically, it’s the empathizing on core essence of what’s standing out of a certain things, not necessarily physical thing, it could be behavior or logical way of thinking.

Anyway, just 2cents from Japanese natives here.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #67,914 of 101,496
A review from my favorite guy.

KZ PR1 and PR1 HIFI( is this PR1 PRO ?)
Google translated to English, you can change it to your native languages

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #67,917 of 101,496
A review from my favorite guy.

KZ PR1 and PR1 HIFI( is this PR1 PRO ?)
Google translated to English, you can change it to your native languages
As I understand it, there are currently three sets, the KZ PR1, the KZ PR1 HIFI and the PR1 Pro.......yet to come, Max, Ultra, Extra...

All jokes aside, KZ seems to have done a good job on their planer earphones.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #67,920 of 101,496
The few that got it just confirmed the tuning is a joke for the price. The build and unboxing experience is truly premium though

I appear to be one of the few, and I actually really love the tuning. It's a warm, enveloping signature with good but not in-your-face or prominent detail - much more of a musical, captivating listen. From a sound perspective, I could listen for hours without fatigue - it really is so wonderfully smooth and easy to listen to... however, the shells do cause me discomfort after about an hour or so which is a shame. The cable is too thick and heavy, plus the modular system needs work as it's easy to accidentally disconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back