The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #67,921 of 103,796
I’d like to see what’s in store for Shanling IEMs, they’re getting close to nailing a good response.

Ordered the green Gimlet, was feeling classy. I’m gonna chill now, got three hot ones coming in hopefully before the holidays: Allure, Cadenza, and Gimlet. Please let there be a winner among these…

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #67,923 of 103,796
So what did people get for recent 11.11 and black friday deals.? For me I have been extremely impressed with Fiios recent dac/amp I did a review for K7. I decided to take a punt on a new K9 pro for my home use. Been a while since I got a home source. Well DX300Max is more for home use than being able to carry around but the price was good enough for me to bite. The intriguing aspect of what Fiio has been doing is that they are simply putting out some of the best sound quality for the bucks that I can recall in recent memory from any source manufacturer.
1669686558928.png
Got enough IEMs to last me 2 lifetimes' so no need to spend there, didn't really need it but hey this is headfi. Curiosity always gets the best of me.

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #67,925 of 103,796
If anyone has recommendations for affordable but good quality 2.5mm cables (2 pin) I’m all ears. I’ve only been using an adapter to test balanced but wouldn’t want to do burn in with it.
Affordable and good quality are somewhat subjective terms. Often with the tendency to wards mutual incompatibility as well!

NiceHCK PurpleSE
NiceHCK C16-3
NiceHCK BlackCat

or if you want SPC

XINHS 8 strands of silver-purple single crystal copper plated with silver

All of those are on sale, well made and sound fine to my ear! :L3000:

Edit: purple ones sound better!:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #67,928 of 103,796
Thank to @yaps66 i have come to like jazz, but i have one question... Is jazz just a bunch of wrong note being play together?

Actually there are lots of musical theory behind jazz, it is not just a chaotic amalgamating of notes.

There are different variants of jazz, but in general, compared to normal run-of-the-mill chords, the jazz genre spices things up by adding substitution and extension chords that give a different flavour/voicings to the usual classical triad chords.

Jazz musicians also improvise along notes of certain scales eg dorian, blues etc, and also utilize a few favourite chord progressions like II-V-I, in addition to using syncopated rhythms (time signatures may change within a song even).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #67,929 of 103,796
If anyone has recommendations for affordable but good quality 2.5mm cables (2 pin) I’m all ears. I’ve only been using an adapter to test balanced but wouldn’t want to do burn in with it.
XINHS cables with black friday sales is like $33 for their regular offer $60. I remember it was higher a while back.

Affordable and good quality are somewhat subjective terms. Often with the tendency to wards mutual incompatibility as well!

NiceHCK PurpleSE
NiceHCK C16-3
NiceHCK BlackCat

or if you want SPC

XINHS 8 strands of silver-purple single crystal copper plated with silver

All of those are on sale, well made and sound fine to my ear! :L3000:

Edit: purple ones sound better!:ksc75smile:
Wait what….? $8???
Glad I found your post! Ordered purple cable with qdc connector.

Openheart cables, as far as from my experience is heavy and bulky. The plugs and connectors used is at a glance high-end, but not really that well made. Maybe they have changed, simce last time I got their cable was 2 years ago

Not sure if it’s worth. But for some old folks who loved how Westone sounded from your old pairs. Their old flagship is sold @$399 for the 8BA model. From ogirinal MRSP $1,500. Not a bad deal for Westone lover. I actually is one of them. Well it’s cheaper than S8, regardless of technicalities or whatsoever, it’s westone’s mellow sound.

https://www.adorama.com/we80v3bt.html

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #67,930 of 103,796
So what did people get for recent 11.11 and black friday deals.? For me I have been extremely impressed with Fiios recent dac/amp I did a review for K7. I decided to take a punt on a new K9 pro for my home use. Been a while since I got a home source. Well DX300Max is more for home use than being able to carry around but the price was good enough for me to bite. The intriguing aspect of what Fiio has been doing is that they are simply putting out some of the best sound quality for the bucks that I can recall in recent memory from any source manufacturer.
. . .
Got enough IEMs to last me 2 lifetimes' so no need to spend there, didn't really need it but hey this is headfi. Curiosity always gets the best of me.
I'm not overly interested in the latest and greatest fads, as I find that I'm at the point (in my collecting), that I'd rather wait for the hype train to leave the station and let the dust settle, before buying.

So I was looking to grab units that for whatever reason, I passed on during their heyday.
iKKO OH10
LZ A7
&
some pretty, pretty cables:
NiceHCK SkyFlag, mixed cable, 7N Litz OCC & 6N OCC
NiceHCK Purple SE, 8 strands Furukawa copper

I did climb aboard, on one train, KZ PR1 Pro; as it caught my interest, for using an in house planar driver. Whereas the competition in the $125 - $200 range appear to be sharing the same driver. But I believe that order is going to timeout and I'm not going to extend the time.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #67,932 of 103,796
As a jazz trained saxophonist and drummer, I can tell you that jazz is very much the opposite. It does more than almost any other genre to push the boundaries of chord and scale structures within songs, arrangements, and harmonies. Sometimes you'll run into particular jazz musicians or groups that ignore much of conventional music theory and look at sonic dissonance as another expression of one's self through music rather than the "wrong notes."

One of the cool things about jazz is that since its inception it has always been played as a medium open to interpretation. Whether your listening to your first jazz piece or recording your fiftieth, your ears put you on equal footing when it comes to listening. Or said another way, no matter how much a giant in the jazz genre tells you that the music theory means that the particular scales and structures he's/she's/they're using make sense, if your ears tell you otherwise thats all you need to know.

Jazz is a great genre and like any genre that has existed for a long time, there are offshoots, like the avante garde, experimental jazz, acid jazz, etc that go pretty far in deviating from the more mainstream iterations. As with any genre and its sub-genres, it's up to you to decide if those deviations hold any interest or musical value for you.

There was a period that peaked in the late 90s IMO where jazz as a genre became largely hamstrung by allowing its most prominent gatekeepers to be pretentious fools who seemed to be involved in some imaginary race to see who could find the weirdest/most novel act calling itself jazz and turn it into the direction of the genre for the next generation. That led to a time when smooth jazz and various experimental or avante garde styles were the only kinds of "jazz" music getting any press. Thankfully abysmal sales and a movement amongst musicians to bring the musical appeal to a more mainstream audience eventually righted the ship, so to speak. As a result, jazz and all its related sub-genres are enjoying a period of popularity unlike any we've seen in decades.

TL;DR: If the music doesn't sound like music to you, then it's not. Expert opinions need not apply. Jazz as a genre is wide ranging and complex so explore thoroughly before deciding on your preference for it.

Edit: spelling and punctuation
Thanks for the great post and short (but utterly relevant) history of modern jazz! My understanding of jazz is that it has its roots in early western classical music, specifically baroque music. On first listen, there appears to be nothing in common but, there is more than meets the eye in terms of both chord and melodic improvisation. I love both genres in how they invoke similar emotions when listening to them!

In the words of the Manhattan Transfer song Soul Food to Go:

My, my oh the feelin' of the sound
Precious and real and oh that's nice
Whip up some steamin' jazz
The pot is on the stove it's cookin'

Want some more we always save some
Art nouveau for special patrons
You look nice do you believe in jazz?

Kansas City to Brazil
It even gets you hot in your home
Kansas City to Brazil
I say blow your top, blow your own

Ooo oh ah this be-bop's too much
I know you know Hip-Hop never stop
I'll pour you tasty funk
We got cool and hot just for you
The pleasures of the soul
Come on, come in and check it out
Ooo see'est si bon ... soul food to go

And my favorite Pat Metheny

some old but classy Keith Jarrett

Jazz is “live chat” using instruments to me. You will learn “non-verbal” expressions of emotion, to the degree of actual conversation is even possible in Jazz world. Lyrics? It’s not necessary.

In Japanese Zen or more natively “wabi & sabi “ spirit —a philosophy of simplicity and subtraction— sometime words are rather obsolete and even nuisance. People could communicate with by just looking eyes, see body expressions. That’s something happening in Jazz.
Pat Metheny and Keith Jarret are both (relatively) old souls in my book and they are, oh so good! They are the ultimate expressions of non verbal communication! They are "soul whisperers"!

Lots of discovery here. I will be exploring some of the works of these musicians.

Add to that "wabi & sabi, another discovery of unspoken language.
Nicely put Chris! Does not get any better then that! Unspoken communication. So unlike our mutual profession!

Come on guys, this hobby is small enough, and wired IEM is being concerned to a niche sector now.

Let’s be generous toward each other, cable believer, science lover, hype or critique, we share same interest after all, enjoy your favorite songs with best possible means at your best.

Head-fi is a small community hobby enough, let’s be generous.

One exception to non-community outside paid part-timer writing random comments on a bad IEM and just disappear after that.
Hear, hear! To each his own. We all hear differently and one man's meat is another man's poison. Mutual respect is the name of the game here in these crazy tumultuous times!

Yes, yes it is. And, in the quiet parts of some of the more experimental jazz pieces, it isn’t even any notes at all.
And even then, they communication at some level! It's amazing that even noise and silence can communicate!

Actually there are lots of musical theory behind jazz, it is not just a chaotic amalgamating of notes.

There are different variants of jazz, but in general, compared to normal run-of-the-mill chords, the jazz genre spices things up by adding substitution and extension chords that give a different flavour/voicings to the usual classical triad chords.

Jazz musicians also improvise along notes of certain scales eg dorian, blues etc, and also utilize a few favourite chord progressions like II-V-I, in addition to using syncopated rhythms (time signatures may change within a song even).
Spoken like a true jazz musician!

Enjoy the music, in all its varied forms!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #67,933 of 103,796
syncopated rhythms
Boy I hate those :rolling_eyes: I used to try to practice them when walking home from bus (foot step for main beats, hands tapping for syncopated beats)

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #67,934 of 103,796
Speaking of NiceHCK. Seems those folks have been sneaky about their releases. I have their NX7 MK4 and their new Planar the F1 on the way. Will leave some impressions when I get them.

Also have Fiios new FW5 TWS hybrids on the way as well. Looking forward to hearing these.
I now have a mental picture of someone with a wired IEM in one ear. A TWS in the other. Wandering around and cursing under their breath that they can't get Tidal to stream simultaneously and in synch on two different devices.:tired_face:

"In the event that you or any of your team are caught, captured (or driven insane), this forum will disavow any knowledge of your actions!" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back