The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #67,936 of 103,843
Jaco Pastorius - Word of Mouth

The legend is that he had each jazz musician play almost freeform in the studio, and then each was mixed into the song to create that chaotic rhythm mentioned earlier. It's also a great album to test your IEM's with, for imaging and stage.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #67,937 of 103,843
Penon ORB review on the way, released June 2020.
DSC_0093.jpeg124.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #67,938 of 103,843

Wow another $800 Penon Cable paid for review that will blow your mind and quadruple the Soundstage of what ever it's connected to. Just WOW enough with the needless infomercials on Head-Fi.

Same repeat offenders PLEASE STOP the BS for the sake of the ChiFi hobby you are getting a kickback from sales with your free samples and it shows but it's downright embarrassing for you.

My $0.02

Sad to read such a negative and rainy day idea about of a week of my life's effort. Even if you don't personally write reviews, you may want to check......more than 1/2 of Head-Fi believes in cable results. But maybe your some kind of tough guy that already has his mind made-up, that it's all BS. And that's fine, you totally have a freedom to express your thoughts here, which ever way they lean.

This whole thread is advertising, and I have personally spent TONs of my own money discovering what sounds good. So if you think I'm lying about the cable, that's fine, did you read the part (of the review) where it explains the hows and whys........to what makes a cable non-believer? Some people hear a difference, some people don't hear a difference, and science reconfirms those thoughts by not being able to show scientific evidence as to the possibility of there being a cable affect. Yet with this particular cable the differences are HUGE. You would be able to hear a difference I'm 100% sure of it.

"Same repeat offenders PLEASE STOP the BS for the sake of the ChiFi hobby you are getting a kickback from sales with your free samples and it shows but it's downright embarrassing for you.

My $0.02"

It's pretty simple to write the review I just wrote if you believe all you wrote. I believe it wholeheartedly.......so writing the review was a joy. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't always get him to drink.

Here is how I see it.

"I want to give my idea as to why some people believe in cables and some don’t. Think of it this way.................if you have any experience in audio you have built a house on basic beliefs. So starting from the foundation you sculpted your ideas based on both science and previous experience, which you believe hold truths. Such build-ups can be like anything you know, as layers and layers of knowledge and experience build-up. One direction is to believe cables do nothing to affect the sound when put between a DAP and an IEM. Some people don’t hear any difference between cables, then they refer to science and science reconfirms their understanding. This goes on for years as they try new stuff, and eventually they stop experimenting and become crystallized in their beliefs. The believers go the opposite route, they believe not all phenomenon can be tested, and keep finding changes due to cable build methodology. Finally they commingle into groups of other like minded people which will go on to substantiate their beliefs. Though the interesting part, is many (almost all) have the exact same sound results from the exact same cable, regardless of learning what the others had (experienced) before testing. And.....same with the Totem, all the believers, ended having the exact same ideas of sound improvement in daily testing, thus all this comes down to the same results in the end."

The hype monkeys are not even getting mentioned by name, yet they fell called out :o2smile:
This is the order of posts.........of course he does not to need mention my name.......it is implied.
This is 100% accurate and it is also reflects my feelings as to the reason the hype monkeys do a severe disservice to this community.

That aside, you have an IMPRESSIVE resume. Kudos! :beerchug:
Simply block me, and you will not need to have anything more to do with me.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #67,939 of 103,843
Does it have 3 rings though and/or an inline control unit? The latter being a switch like a microphone switch that allows you to control the CDP. Sony used to use this on their minidisc players. You couldn't use the earphones on any other unit without unplugging the switch first. Fortunately Sony allowed for the earphones to be unplugged from the inline switch, but it was still annoying. In your case the 3 rings on the 3.5 mm TRS connnctor will be confusing the AP80 which is designed for L, R and G. I think you may have L, R, S and G - in which case the AP80 Pro X can't make G (ground) contact.

Whats the sound quality of the CDP like?

PS It is possible that the XDuoo used a socket that could use both types of 3.5 mm connectors and Hidizs opted for the regular socket only.
I have tested the CD player with an HDCD recording of Dire Straits. "Private Investigations" sounded superb. Solid bass, loads of detail, impressive transients and excellent imaging. This was with a set of TRN TA2 IEMs, I will try some others as well. Certainly impressed so far.

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #67,940 of 103,843
I'm not overly interested in the latest and greatest fads, as I find that I'm at the point (in my collecting), that I'd rather wait for the hype train to leave the station and let the dust settle, before buying.

So I was looking to grab units that for whatever reason, I passed on during their heyday.
iKKO OH10
LZ A7
&
some pretty, pretty cables:
NiceHCK SkyFlag, mixed cable, 7N Litz OCC & 6N OCC
NiceHCK Purple SE, 8 strands Furukawa copper

I did climb aboard, on one train, KZ PR1 Pro; as it caught my interest, for using an in house planar driver. Whereas the competition in the $125 - $200 range appear to be sharing the same driver. But I believe that order is going to timeout and I'm not going to extend the time.
thankfully my KZ PR1 Pro got shipped, after 5 days of purchase.
i keep asking the seller when to ship every other day.
previously, my ESX (also bought at first week sales/disguised pre-order) was sent on the last day right before timeout. like 11 days
---
btw new KZ/CCA pokemon with no additional Info

1669713589869.png

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #67,941 of 103,843
Come on guys, this hobby is small enough, and wired IEM is being concerned to a niche sector now.

Let’s be generous toward each other, cable believer, science lover, hype or critique, we share same interest after all, enjoy your favorite songs with best possible means at your best.

Head-fi is a small community hobby enough, let’s be generous.

One exception to non-community outside paid part-timer writing random comments on a bad IEM and just disappear after that.
:clap::clap::clap:
Absolutely! It's perfectly fine to disagree. It is not however fine to vilify people with whom you disagree. If someone has a tendency to praise or criticize then take that into consideration, along with other factors like their tuning and music preferences. Most of us are adults here. For the others "Say hello to the ignore button"! :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #67,942 of 103,843
btw new KZ/CCA pokemon with no additional Info

1669713589869.png
I looks nice but it's probably another cheap 1 DD. Now if it uses the CRA driver and a improved version of the tuning it might be interesting.
And is that the old B type connector I see? What happend to the C type (QDC) connector?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #67,943 of 103,843
I looks nice but t's probably another cheap 1 DD. Now if it uses the CRA driver and a improved version of the tuning it might be interesting.
And is that the old B type connector I see? What happend to the C type (QDC) connector?
It looks like a recessed TFZ connector to me. That would provide the option to TFZ/NX7 connectors (or use 0.78mm 2 pin). Also providing sealing against dust and moisture like QDC, without the risk of snapping off. Of course it could be a new proprietary connector, in which case they can go jump! :rolling_eyes:

Nov 29, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #67,944 of 103,843
Some graphs of "tunable" IEMs from NiceHCK below. Good to see the filters work and ain't gimmicks.

1) NiceHCK F1
14.2 mm planar

Silver filter - balanced tuning
Gold filter - treble tuning
Black filter - bass tuning

NiceHCK F1.jpg

2) NiceHCK NX7 MK4
4BA + 10 mm Beryllium plated dual DD + Seven layer Piezo

Gold filter - balanced tuning
Red filter - treble tuning

NiceHCK NX7 MK4.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #67,945 of 103,843
Nov 29, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #67,946 of 103,843
It seems that to Chi-Fi, treble means cat ears tuning
I was not so sure about what cat ear 🐈 means until the moment I saw the FR. Makes sense!
Not sure if it’s worth. But for some old folks who loved how Westone sounded from your old pairs. Their old flagship is sold @$399 for the 8BA model. From ogirinal MRSP $1,500. Not a bad deal for Westone lover. I actually is one of them. Well it’s cheaper than S8, regardless of technicalities or whatsoever, it’s westone’s mellow sound.

https://www.adorama.com/we80v3bt.html
Sorry guys, it seems it was the cyber monday deal. Price is back to somehow unreasonably high one on this store. You can still find around $500-800 range.

Anyway as once-milk-fed-by-Westone baby, I felt I’m obligated to get the last gasp of “W” series flagship of musician’s trusted brand (their EQ app was one of the best back then). Besides AKG’s flagship N5005, now I have Westone’s flagship W80 incoming. Probably will arrive in a week or so.

Will see how these two big boys will interact with modern IEMs.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #67,947 of 103,843
2) NiceHCK NX7 MK4
4BA + 10 mm Beryllium plated dual DD + Seven layer Piezo

Gold filter - balanced tuning
Red filter - treble tuning

NiceHCK NX7 MK4.jpg
False marketing with the DD though. Its not a dual DD.

1669733630758.png

1669733644412.png

(this is the OG NX7, but its assumed that they continued that lie across the whole NX7 lineup...)

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #67,949 of 103,843

1669733630758.png
1669733644412.png
(this is the OG NX7, but its assumed that they continued that lie across the whole NX7 lineup...)

They call it a composite DD, so they aren’t lying any more than makers who claim 2 BAs when they’re actually single composite units.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #67,950 of 103,843

1669733630758.png
1669733644412.png

Busted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back