The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #67,891 of 103,879
TruthEar Zero got the tuck in bass line via using 2 DD and one of them is specialized Sub-woofer DD
Quark DSP tried to achieve the same with pre-eq ing the iem via DSP.

1669624528079.png

Now we going to get JIU possibly with similar tuck-in.
---

Turns out KZ have experiment with that tuck-in bass via DSP in their TWS "VXS"

1669624609648.png

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #67,892 of 103,879
That would make sense if all the IEMs had the same problem but it is only the KLIM Fusion which fails to work. And the AP80 Pro X does not have an FM radio!
Yes, that pretty much knocks that theory on the head. But learn something new everyday: I have the AP80 Pro and it never crossed my mind that they would remove the FM radio from the new X version. But they did indeed do that!

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #67,893 of 103,879
Update: I contacted Penon and asked them about this. They confirmed that some sets have incorrect filters and are sending me a new set. Evidently mine was one of the early ones that got the wrong filters.

Now, this is pretty good news since the Eagle is already in my estimation one of the best sets of 2022. Taming the treble a bit would make it better as it can be just a touch sibilant with the currently installed filter. But honestly? Had no one mentioned it I probably wouldn’t have considered the treble a problem at all.

Bottom line: Penon customer service is excellent and I’m very curious to hear what the Eagle sounds like with the manufacturer approved filters.
Sorry, but I have to ask. How do they know / decide which ones have the incorrect filter? Was there a shipping date window?

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #67,894 of 103,879
Sorry, but I have to ask. How do they know / decide which ones have the incorrect filter? Was there a shipping date window?

I have no idea. I just told them that I’d heard that some of the sets had incorrect filters. They got back to me and told me they’d send correct ones. No detail beyond that. They have my order number so I assume they looked at that to check.

If you have an Eagle, email them.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #67,895 of 103,879
While availing of an upgrade for my phone, there was an option to trade in my old phone, and I've got around $200 for it - unexpected, and of course the logical thing is to spend on an IEM :) In the running at the moment are:
  • OH10 (due to my love for OH5)
  • Kato (as a single DD lover, yet to try this and been curious a while)
  • Talos (big fan of DUNU, and intrigued by their execution of a planar set)
Any others I should be considering up to about $200? I'm open on driver config and signature, always curious to explore and generally speaking will suit some shelf of my audio library. One thing is I'm not a fan of large shells, and they absolutely must have vents. I do tend to lean towards single DDs in general.

Regarding your queries:

1) IKKO OH10
- Nice V shaped set with huge bass. Good build and technicalities.
- In this fast moving industry where a few weeks can make an IEM obsolete (looking at you KZ PR1 Pro), and where hypetrains come out like cockroaches every week, if something is talked about just 3 months post release, it is a worthy set to consider. The IKKO OH10 came out 3 years ago and is still recommended and used today, that's how much holding power it has.
- May be a bit fatiguing in the lower treble region, but treble perception may be dependent on hearing health, ear tips, volume played at, pinna gain (ear anatomy), so YMMV.
- The shells are huge and heavy, so maybe best to audition it before purchase.
- I saw the IKKO OH10 at $90ish USD on the BF sales on Aliexpress (after using coupons/coins) and that was a crazy price!

2) Moondrop KATO
- Considered one of the benchmark lower midFI single DDs. Pretty decent technicalities, good timbre. Follows Moondrop's virtual diffuse sound field (VDSF) tuning philosophy (which is their in-house variant of the Harman curve).
- Has tuning nozzles to theoretically change the sound signature, but is a bit gimmicky IMO, the changes are extremely subtle, and other "tunable" IEMs do a more night-or-day difference with their nozzles.
- Some other single DD contenders at the price range beat the Kato in technicalities, eg Tanchjim Oxygen. And considering you own other higher end single DD sets, I am not sure if there is value proposition in you getting this (would be a downgrade). Maybe best to keep your powder dry and save up for a better single DD?

3) DUNU Talos
- The selling point is the switch which can convert it between a pure planar and a hybrid.
- The pure planar setting is pretty good. Balanced U shaped tonality, decent timbre (for a planar) and excellent technicalities. Soundstage is on the smaller side compared to other planars.
- The hybrid switch adds a BA and this setting gives great resolution, sparkle and air, and increases the soundstage. However most consumers will probably find the hybrid setting fatiguing, harsh and sibilant. Maybe it is an option for trebleheads, or niche-case use - eg analysis of music (critical listening), or certain music genres which are darker.
- Most users will probably keep to the pure planar setting, which IMHO is more than decent, good melding of technicalities, timbre and tonality.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #67,896 of 103,879
Have you been contact by Meaoes?
their a filter issue, they supposedly put the wrong one in manufacturing process...and now im waiting for these filters to tame treble and upper mids etc...
My pair sound disastrously spiky wonky...
I haven't been contacted by them, but I was an early purchaser and the main reason I'm selling is the treble/upper mids being too harsh. I guess I'll have to reach out to them?

EDIT: Sent them an email earlier today.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #67,897 of 103,879
Regarding your queries:

1) IKKO OH10
- Nice V shaped set with huge bass. Good build and technicalities.
- In this fast moving industry where a few weeks can make an IEM obsolete (looking at you KZ PR1 Pro), and where hypetrains come out like cockroaches every week, if something is talked about just 3 months post release, it is a worthy set to consider. The IKKO OH10 came out 3 years ago and is still recommended and used today, that's how much holding power it has.
- May be a bit fatiguing in the lower treble region, but treble perception may be dependent on hearing health, ear tips, volume played at, pinna gain (ear anatomy), so YMMV.
- The shells are huge and heavy, so maybe best to audition it before purchase.
- I saw the IKKO OH10 at $90ish USD on the BF sales on Aliexpress (after using coupons/coins) and that was a crazy price!

2) Moondrop KATO
- Considered one of the benchmark lower midFI single DDs. Pretty decent technicalities, good timbre. Follows Moondrop's virtual diffuse sound field (VDSF) tuning philosophy (which is their in-house variant of the Harman curve).
- Has tuning nozzles to theoretically change the sound signature, but is a bit gimmicky IMO, the changes are extremely subtle, and other "tunable" IEMs do a more night-or-day difference with their nozzles.
- Some other single DD contenders at the price range beat the Kato in technicalities, eg Tanchjim Oxygen. And considering you own other higher end single DD sets, I am not sure if there is value proposition in you getting this (would be a downgrade). Maybe best to keep your powder dry and save up for a better single DD?

3) DUNU Talos
- The selling point is the switch which can convert it between a pure planar and a hybrid.
- The pure planar setting is pretty good. Balanced U shaped tonality, decent timbre (for a planar) and excellent technicalities. Soundstage is on the smaller side compared to other planars.
- The hybrid switch adds a BA and this setting gives great resolution, sparkle and air, and increases the soundstage. However most consumers will probably find the hybrid setting fatiguing, harsh and sibilant. Maybe it is an option for trebleheads, or niche-case use - eg analysis of music (critical listening), or certain music genres which are darker.
- Most users will probably keep to the pure planar setting, which IMHO is more than decent, good melding of technicalities, timbre and tonality.

Thank you for that analysis, much appreciated. I'm leaning towards Talos at the moment.

In relation to higher end DDs etc, I'm always curious to explore at various price points as there can be interesting tuning quirks for starters, plus diminishing returns often becomes evident! On that note, SonicMemory SM2 landed a few minutes ago, looking forward to trying shortly.

20221128_114833.jpg

20221128_115256.jpg

20221128_120120.jpg

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #67,898 of 103,879
Thank you for that analysis, much appreciated. I'm leaning towards Talos at the moment.

In relation to higher end DDs etc, I'm always curious to explore at various price points as there can be interesting tuning quirks for starters, plus diminishing returns often becomes evident! On that note, SonicMemory SM2 landed a few minutes ago, looking forward to trying shortly.

20221128_114833.jpg

20221128_115256.jpg

20221128_120120.jpg
They really send you a lunch box as the box for the IEM? This NF audio company has interesting presentation :dt880smile:

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #67,899 of 103,879
They really send you a lunch box as the box for the IEM? This NF audio company has interesting presentation :dt880smile:

Yep, that's certainly a first!

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #67,900 of 103,879
Black friday deals have arrived lol

DB6DBD86-4C0B-4B05-A8F0-227759453E3D.jpeg

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #67,901 of 103,879
- In this fast moving industry where a few weeks can make an IEM obsolete (looking at you KZ PR1 Pro), and where hypetrains come out like cockroaches every week, if something is talked about just 3 months post release, it is a worthy set to consider.

2) Moondrop KATO

those two part. Well-said. The pace of IEM entries is way too fast.

Now All I see on head-gear review for $sub50 is “a new-head fier” from one single particular country(I will refrain putting the name), with some shops promoting it. Come on…giving 4.5 for KZ ZEX PRO??? A serious joke. What if someone new to IEM saw that review and most likely they will before checking thread, and believed KZ CRN is one of the best IEM in the world for $50 by looking at near 5 star cooked up reputations…

Kato: exchangeable acoustic nozzle filter. Yes it’s as subtle as the tuning switches, a mere 1 or 2 db that I can see the change that nozzle make. I wanted Kato to be less fatiguing sounding one like KXXS, but it still has metallic trebles to me that I need some ear tips to coup with. Hope Moondrop could prepare more filters not just two in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #67,902 of 103,879

20221128_114833.jpg

20221128_115256.jpg

20221128_120120.jpg
Very nice. Let’s see Paul Allen’s IEMs.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #67,904 of 103,879
Moondrop Void anyone?
I heard someone tried on twitter or somewhere, says “sounds like rather classy HD650”.

As a first try of full-size can to reach the legend, not bad. Also that Venus planar can is very amusing, if not I personally spent $150 on their planar Stellaris.. what if Moondrop cooked Venus with SSR tuning only good for J-POP.

Unless someone proof that Void is worthy to replace their HD560S, I’m not too convinced.

I’m using Senn’s can for daily use, hope it’s “light” in weight.
49B03471-A21E-47CC-A495-6B3A877B3CE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #67,905 of 103,879
Thank to @yaps66 i have come to like jazz, but i have one question... Is jazz just a bunch of wrong note being play together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back