The discovery thread!
May 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #56,506 of 102,971
Haha I have an audiophile friend who spends north of $1000 USD on cables. He has a few in fact. He pairs the $1K cable with the $25 USD BLON BL-03. He says it makes the sound "richer".

I won't judge him, cause it's his money, it's a free world. But my personal take is that cables are the very last area I would upgrade for sonic fidelity. Eartips, sources all seem to me at least, to make more sonic differences. And I wouldn't pair a cable that costs more than the IEM.
Firstly, I would never buy a cable for sonic fidelity as they dont change the sound. Cables upgrades are for aesthetics or build quality. Secondly, does he realise he could make the same cables for much much less himself?

May 14, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #56,507 of 102,971
Ditto. I have been debating with myself for a while which cable to get: Penon PAC480 from Penon, or OS849 from locally from another fellow audiophile. Gonna pair them with Mirage. The **** 26AWG 6N pure copper cable is apparently holding it back.
A cable is not holding your gear back as cables have no impact on sound.

May 14, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #56,508 of 102,971
Haha I have an audiophile friend who spends north of $1000 USD on cables. He has a few in fact. He pairs the $1K cable with the $25 USD BLON BL-03. He says it makes the sound "richer".

I won't judge him, cause it's his money, it's a free world. But my personal take is that cables are the very last area I would upgrade for sonic fidelity. Eartips, sources all seem to me at least, to make more sonic differences. And I wouldn't pair a cable that costs more than the IEM.
Agree, it's the last choice to either donate money or get a cable made of pure-"Kryptonite".

May 14, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #56,509 of 102,971
to some, that's reasonable price.. i have friends that have $1.5 K cables.

even that considered cheap compared to the cable spending room speaker audiophiles
Yes I always enjoy looking at local hifi sites and seeing cables for many thousands of dollars. You gotta be quite special to think that price range is reasonable lmao.

Cost of materials and labor is so small that any of these cables can be homemade at a fraction of the cost

May 14, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #56,510 of 102,971
A cable is not holding your gear back as cables have no impact on sound.
I disagree with that, there are many noticeable and measurable differences in the sonic signature, but it's just the alternation of frequency responses. I bet the end connector is rather more of the source of sonic alternation than cable itself though. Sound changes by the action of changing cables.

May 14, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #56,511 of 102,971
I disagree with that, there are many noticeable and measurable differences in the sonic signature, but it's just the alternation of frequency responses. I bet the end connector is rather more of the source of sonic alternation than cable itself though. Sound changes by the action of changing cables.
You're beating a dead horse.

This has been proven time and time again. If you have 2 cables that meet the requirements of the system, then there will be no measurable difference between them. This isn't some objective thing where we can all have our own opinions, cables just dont affect sound and no opinion is going to change that.

May 14, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #56,512 of 102,971

This has been proven time and time again. If you have 2 cables that meet the requirements of the system, then there will be no measurable difference between them. This isn't some objective thing where we can all have our own opinions, cables just dont affect sound and no opinion is going to change that.
Different resistance with cables do actually have some FR changes, but that mostly applies to BA only iems since they are very sensitive to total resistance changes.

1621022494881.png

(although if a cable has that high of a resistance, I would call it defective since you can get cables in the 10-20 usd range that measures around 0.2ohms...)

May 14, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #56,513 of 102,971
Different resistance with cables do actually have some FR changes, but that mostly applies to BA only iems since they are very sensitive to total resistance changes.

1621022494881.png
(although if a cable has that high of a resistance, I would call it defective since you can get cables in the 10-20 usd range that measures around 0.2ohms...)
Not only resistance, cables also have capacitance and inductance which can affect frequency response. the combination of these three parameters is called the cable impedance

May 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #56,514 of 102,971
Yes, lack of outer ear amplification requires some boost in that range.

I'm not sure about the second question. Do you have a specific track that bothers you, that I might have a listen to? Are you talking about a specific drum head material? Not being a drummer, I can't comment on what sounds realistic, and what doesn't reproduce right.
For instance, on this track at 00:32, there’s a certain synthetic clap like instrument on that beat, it sticks out as strident in timbre on the E5000, while the rest of the sounds are smooth and natural.

I think it’s due to that 3-4khz emphasis that it sounds that way. Would the Shozy 1.4 sound smoother with that clap like instrument?

Here’s the link, click on the first track that is 1:51 long, the instrument starts at 00:32. It’s a 320kbps mp3.

https://ru-music.com/search/Tech N9Ne Worst case senario/

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #56,515 of 102,971

If folks would understand Ohm's law then entire cable business would have gone kaput eons ago. I finally find all the sermons of my physics professor extremely useful.

Not only resistance, cables also have capacitance and inductance which can affect frequency response. the combination of these three parameters is called the cable impedance
Resistance is also fine as it can more or less help in calculating the ideal condition required to optimally drive the system.

May 14, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #56,516 of 102,971
Wait, KBear is going to release a triple dynamic driver IEM? When would this be coming out? I would be very interested in it. The 3DT and DQ6 have shown me the immense potential of such a configuration.
Context:

April 20 - I asked a rep if KB Ear or TRI has plans for new IEMs. Asked this because I don't have plans spending ~400 USD on a single IEM (Starshine) in this hobby even if I can.

April 21 - They say they have and asked me what I was expecting.

April 21 - I guess that maybe it's a pure-BA. Or a triple-DD because I loved so much the DQ6 that I want to see KB Ear try to make one (I didn't mention KZ, of course).

May 11 - I tell her I was right about the pure-BA.

May 11 - She tells me that the 3-DD is also in the plans.

Am I a clairvoyant 😏?

-------

Moving to KZ, I was asked by a rep if I have any suggestions. I told her that they should refine the XUN driver in the treble region. She said she'll tell the R & D team. I just don't know if that'll happen and one can only hope.

Imagine a KZ hybrid that utilizes the XUN with a Knowles BA 🤫 That would be awesome if that happens.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #56,517 of 102,971

Andromedas are very low impedance IEMs so the changes will be very noticeable with slight changes made in either direction. Even their sensitivity is crazy.

This article actually explains a lot - https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/user-report.php?id=1350#gsc.tab=0

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #56,518 of 102,971

1621022494881.png
If a cable has enough resistance to change the FR then it is defective.

May 14, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #56,519 of 102,971
Context:

April 20 - I asked a rep if KB Ear or TRI has plans for new IEMs. Asked this because I don't have plans spending ~400 USD on a single IEM (Starshine) in this hobby even if I can.

April 21 - They say they have and asked me what I was expecting.

April 21 - I guess that maybe it's a pure-BA. Or a triple-DD because I loved so much the DQ6 that I want to see KB Ear try to make one (I didn't mention KZ, of course).

May 11 - I tell her I was right about the pure-BA.

May 11 - She tells me that the 3-DD is also in the plans.

Am I a clairvoyant 😏?

-------

Moving to KZ, I was asked by a rep if I have any suggestions. I told her that they should refine the XUN driver in the treble region. She said she'll tell the R & D team. I just don't know if that'll happen and one can only hope.

Imagine a KZ hybrid that utilizes the XUN with a Knowles BA 🤫 That would be awesome if that happens.
Man you should have told them to bring out a EST IEM under $100. Sigh...😪

May 14, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #56,520 of 102,971
For instance, on this track at 00:32, there’s a certain synthetic clap like instrument on that beat, it sticks out as strident in timbre on the E5000, while the rest of the sounds are smooth and natural.

I think it’s due to that 3-4khz emphasis that it sounds that way. Would the Shozy 1.4 sound smoother with that clap like instrument?

Here’s the link, click on the first track that is 1:51 long, the instrument starts at 00:32. It’s a 320kbps mp3.

https://ru-music.com/search/Tech N9Ne Worst case senario/
Listening to that part with my way cheaper E500 right now, and it’s smoother with that sound. Unfortanetly, bass is lacking a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back