The discovery thread!
May 14, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #56,521 of 100,362
If a cable has enough resistance to change the FR then it is defective.
That's like saying every stock cable of most sub-60 USD IEMs are defective because of high cable impedance. I have a BQEYZ Summer that has an SRP of 129 USD, when I switch to a cheap TRN T2 cable, there is a noticeable difference in loudness perceived. That just means that one has lower impedance than the other. I won't talk about other sonic changes...

FYI, I just got out of the "cable believers" table and am currently sitting on the case-by-case chair.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #56,522 of 100,362
Man you should have told them to bring out a EST IEM under $100. Sigh...😪
For KZ? I DID 😏 Even suggested a planar 😎 Telling them that as long as the price is relatively affordable, it will sell a lot.

May 14, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #56,523 of 100,362
Context:

April 20 - I asked a rep if KB Ear or TRI has plans for new IEMs. Asked this because I don't have plans spending ~400 USD on a single IEM (Starshine) in this hobby even if I can.

April 21 - They say they have and asked me what I was expecting.

April 21 - I guess that maybe it's a pure-BA. Or a triple-DD because I loved so much the DQ6 that I want to see KB Ear try to make one (I didn't mention KZ, of course).

May 11 - I tell her I was right about the pure-BA.

May 11 - She tells me that the 3-DD is also in the plans.

Am I a clairvoyant 😏?

-------

Moving to KZ, I was asked by a rep if I have any suggestions. I told her that they should refine the XUN driver in the treble region. She said she'll tell the R & D team. I just don't know if that'll happen and one can only hope.

Imagine a KZ hybrid that utilizes the XUN with a Knowles BA 🤫 That would be awesome if that happens.
Oh ok, so nothing formally announced and no timeframe, but that's cool nonetheless. I would love to see them make a really great triple DD IEM. I hope this planned model sees the light of day.

May 14, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #56,524 of 100,362
That's like saying every stock cable of most sub-60 USD IEMs are defective. I have a BQEYZ Summer that has an SRP of 129 USD, when I switch to a cheap TRN T2 cable, there is a noticeable difference in loudness perceived. That just means that one has lower resistance than the other.

FYI, I just got out of the "cable believers" table and am currently sitting on the case-by-case chair.
Actually most stock cables are not bad, loudness is perceived because of the impedance. Here the cable at fault is TRN T2, for all you know all the terminations of your cables might not even be connected properly. That can lead to some wild sonic presentation.

This dissection by master @Slater was an eye opener for me.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-15003172

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #56,525 of 100,362
Actually most stock cables are not bad, loudness is perceived because of the impedance. Here the cable at fault is TRN T2, for all you know all the terminations of your cables might not even be connected properly. That can lead to some wild sonic presentation.

This dissection by master @Slater was an eye opener for me.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ng-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/post-15003172
@Slater has "opened up" the TRN T2 cable. Found out that all the 16 cores, no matter how unbelievable it is, were soldered. Also the reason why I bought it instead of other budget cables. Just can't find the link but it's here, somewhere.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #56,526 of 100,362
@Slater has "opened up" the TRN T2 cable. Found out that all the 16 cores, no matter how unbelievable it is, were soldered. Just can't find the link but it's here, somewhere.
TRN T2 cables are quite adequate, perhaps the best price to conductivity ratio. I have 4 or 5 - all measured comparably to other 16-core cables.

Have any one heard from @Slater recently? I am really worried about him :frowning2:

May 14, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #56,527 of 100,362
Have any one heard from @Slater recently? I am really worried about him :frowning2:
Me too. I haven't seen him anywhere on Head-fi since February, I think. Anyone know him personally? Maybe the Audioreviews.org group? Is he alright?

May 14, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #56,529 of 100,362
A cable is not holding your gear back as cables have no impact on sound.
Well, I can notice differences while doing cable swap. So for me it's valid.

May 14, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #56,530 of 100,362
Please enjoy more pictures of KBEAR Neon by free!! :ksc75smile:

30.jpg

1.jpg

0.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #56,531 of 100,362
Yes I always enjoy looking at local hifi sites and seeing cables for many thousands of dollars. You gotta be quite special to think that price range is reasonable lmao.

Cost of materials and labor is so small that any of these cables can be homemade at a fraction of the cost

well, this is a sometimes subjective hobby, and the end goal for audiophiles (in my opinion) is to feel good when listening to their favorite tunes.. so if they have the means to do it, all the power to them..in all fairness, those expensive cables do look and feel nice though

boutique/designer's objects are everywhere, not only in audio, and as long as there's a market, they won't be going out any time soon

May 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #56,532 of 100,362
Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #56,533 of 100,362
Please enjoy more pictures of KBEAR Neon by free!! :ksc75smile:

30.jpg

1.jpg

0.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Love the colors and simplicity! However, the fit could be an issue with such design, recommend adding L angle adapter/cables to go with these. Single BA is the hardest configuration to impress, looking forward to the outcome.

May 15, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #56,535 of 100,362
@Slater has "opened up" the TRN T2 cable. Found out that all the 16 cores, no matter how unbelievable it is, were soldered. Also the reason why I bought it instead of other budget cables. Just can't find the link but it's here, somewhere.
I know that T2 was fine because even I have a couple of them. But what I'm implying is that you might have a defective cable which leads to something like this. TRN QC is not the best for all we know and like Slater mentioned most of the 16 core cables will have a few cores unsoldered especially the ones which are sold for cheap by KZ, TRN and all.

T2 is one of my favourite cables but I'm stating one of many possibilities of what you perceive. At the end of the day, what matters most is whether you enjoy the sound or not. If you do then that's that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back