The discovery thread!
May 15, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #56,552 of 99,335
Just received the Lotoo PAW 6000 and I love how it can extract every last bit of detail in tracks. Excellent pairing with the Dunu Zen.

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0069.jpg

I'm trying to get a buddy to send me his for a short trial as I have seen several mentions of this as THE not-crazily-priced-DAP-to-get.

Great pics.

May 15, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #56,553 of 99,335
Any comparative deficiencies?
Sure. I am gonna skip upon the usual (build/ergonomics/UI etc.) and focus solely upon sound between these 3 DAPs.

In terms of raw resolving capability, the LP6K trounces all three of the Cowon Plenue R2 (which resolves similarly to Plenue L), Questyle QP1R, and A&K Kann Alpha. With the A&K Kann Alpha you get a very exciting, dynamic, and engaging presentation that's quite a bit colored to my ears but is very fun to listen to. It however sacrifices some of the finer details in the process. The bass and treble also gets more focus than the midrange on the Kann Alpha. Incidentally, it's got the widest staging among the mentioned DAPs and that makes pairing with IEMs like Final A8000 a superlative experience in terms of staging/imaging prowess. However, I think it exacerbates the A8000's treble peak (and any other IEM with similarly peaky treble will have this issue).

Moving to Questyle QP1R, it's the most dynamic presentation among the mentioned ones along with Kann Alpha. It however has a unique ability to portray micro-dynamics which I haven't found on any other DAPs (Cowon Plenue R2 comes close). Subtle gradations in volume are exceptionally well-portrayed, likely something to do with the IIR reconstruction filter they use. It however has some issues with treble roll-off and the mid-bass can be a bit encroaching at times. Still, for a 6 year old DAP, one of the best I've tried thus far.

As for the Cowon Plenue R2, It used to be my daily driver until the LP6K. The Cowon player has an unique ability to make everything sound... sweet. It's an abstract audiophile lingo but I dunno how else to describe it. It's not the most dynamic in terms of macrodynamic punch but the micro-dynamics are great on them frankly. With a similarly dynamic IEM they provide an excellent pairing (e.g. Dunu Zen). The treble impact is somewhat softened and the mids aren't as organic sounding as on QP1R/LP6K but given it's the cheapest DAP in this comparison, Cowon has done a mighty fine job. Also, I am a huge fan of the JetEffects DSP and it's a must-have for me (reason why I keep a Cowon DAP around).

Finally, the Lotoo PAW 6000. With these DAP you feel like you are peering into the mix. I won't call it totally neutral/reference but it's close to that. The dynamics are very good (not as good as QP1R/Kann Alpha but close), and the separation is on another level vs the rest of them. Imaging is as good as anything out there and staging is also very good (though I think Fiio M15 has it beat there in this price bracket). The one area which I wish were a bit better is the micro-dynamics, the LP6K slightly falls behind in this aspect vs the QP1R and Plenue R2.

In short:
If you want a fun/colored sound = A&K Kann Alpha
If you want a forgiving yet moderately resolving signature = Cowon Plenue R2
If you want some of the best dynamics and mids = Questyle QP1R
If you want the utmost resolving capability with holographic imaging = Lotoo PAW 6K

Hope that helped somewhat to ascertain the differences between the three.

May 15, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #56,554 of 99,335
Sure. I am gonna skip upon the usual (build/ergonomics/UI etc.) and focus solely upon sound between these 3 DAPs.

In terms of raw resolving capability, the LP6K trounces all three of the Cowon Plenue R2 (which resolves similarly to Plenue L), Questyle QP1R, and A&K Kann Alpha. With the A&K Kann Alpha you get a very exciting, dynamic, and engaging presentation that's quite a bit colored to my ears but is very fun to listen to. It however sacrifices some of the finer details in the process. The bass and treble also gets more focus than the midrange on the Kann Alpha. Incidentally, it's got the widest staging among the mentioned DAPs and that makes pairing with IEMs like Final A8000 a superlative experience in terms of staging/imaging prowess. However, I think it exacerbates the A8000's treble peak (and any other IEM with similarly peaky treble will have this issue).

Moving to Questyle QP1R, it's the most dynamic presentation among the mentioned ones along with Kann Alpha. It however has a unique ability to portray micro-dynamics which I haven't found on any other DAPs (Cowon Plenue R2 comes close). Subtle gradations in volume are exceptionally well-portrayed, likely something to do with the IIR reconstruction filter they use. It however has some issues with treble roll-off and the mid-bass can be a bit encroaching at times. Still, for a 6 year old DAP, one of the best I've tried thus far.

As for the Cowon Plenue R2, It used to be my daily driver until the LP6K. The Cowon player has an unique ability to make everything sound... sweet. It's an abstract audiophile lingo but I dunno how else to describe it. It's not the most dynamic in terms of macrodynamic punch but the micro-dynamics are great on them frankly. With a similarly dynamic IEM they provide an excellent pairing (e.g. Dunu Zen). The treble impact is somewhat softened and the mids aren't as organic sounding as on QP1R/LP6K but given it's the cheapest DAP in this comparison, Cowon has done a mighty fine job. Also, I am a huge fan of the JetEffects DSP and it's a must-have for me (reason why I keep a Cowon DAP around).

Finally, the Lotoo PAW 6000. With these DAP you feel like you are peering into the mix. I won't call it totally neutral/reference but it's close to that. The dynamics are very good (not as good as QP1R/Kann Alpha but close), and the separation is on another level vs the rest of them. Imaging is as good as anything out there and staging is also very good (though I think Fiio M15 has it beat there in this price bracket). The one area which I wish were a bit better is the micro-dynamics, the LP6K slightly falls behind in this aspect vs the QP1R and Plenue R2.

In short:
If you want a fun/colored sound = A&K Kann Alpha
If you want a forgiving yet moderately resolving signature = Cowon Plenue R2
If you want some of the best dynamics and mids = Questyle QP1R
If you want the utmost resolving capability with holographic imaging = Lotoo PAW 6K

Hope that helped somewhat to ascertain the differences between the three.
Amazingly in depth yet concise comparisons. Much thanks.
Is it true that Questyle is on its last legs?

May 15, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #56,555 of 99,335
Is it true that Questyle is on its last legs?
I'd say in terms of sound it still fares well against the other <$500 competition but the UI/navigation is archaic to say the least. QP2R/QPM is the way to go if you wanna try a Questyle DAP.

On another note, I think the QP1R is one of the most photogenic DAPs of all time. Couldn't resist sharing this shot that I took of them:

IMG_9693.JPG

May 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #56,556 of 99,335
I'd say in terms of sound it still fares well against the other <$500 competition but the UI/navigation is archaic to say the least. QP2R/QPM is the way to go if you wanna try a Questyle DAP.

On another note, I think the QP1R is one of the most photogenic DAPs of all time. Couldn't resist sharing this shot that I took of them:

IMG_9693.JPG
I agree. The build design has always attracted me. Thanks. Keeping LP6k on my radar. Love my SR25 though. Only took five daps to get me here!?! Especially battery performance. But I see LP6K is no slouch in that dept either

May 16, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #56,557 of 99,335
I've got a pair of these. There is a good driver in them but it's tuned too bright and QC is very poor, better have some glue around, fit is a bit problematic and cables aren't really MMCX. The Wolf head one is tuned much better IMO and has easier fit.
Here are some measurements for the Wolf Head, Eye Of Evil and a barrel-shaped tibetan-styled one. They may change drivers so I can't guarantee that's what you'd be getting now as I bought mine about a year ago or so.

Tiandirenhe Eye Of Evil.png
Tiandirenhe Tibetan.png
Tiandirenhe Wolf Head.png

May 16, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #56,558 of 99,335
BFE95158-2E5C-40CB-95AB-A5814F20783A.jpeg

Smarter pick for neutrality comparison:
Etymotic Reaearch ER2StudioEdition $88
-the one of flat approach from Ety’s curve, as Ety was originally Hearing Aid company, their vocal range is very clear
-best resolution among four candidates
-thin sounding, although being dynamic driver, ER2SE sound lifeless to some, good for monitoring sound, very dry
-due to dryness the accuracy on natural timbre reproduction & “weightless” touch, ER2SE is subpar on natural sound fidelity
-narrowest sound stage among all IEMs, works great to monitor sound from touch to touch, clearly identifiable small sounds from inaudible sources (i.e. lo-fi voice msg. nah not for music entertainment, it’s for picking up beans from the rough ground)
-due to narrow soundstage, positional accuracy is not discussable

Final Audio VR3000 for Gaming $79
-designed for sound positioning and natural timbre reproduction, as designed, VR3000 has highest sound coordination among all four
-slightly vocal focused trims out of highly neutral tuning from bass to treble. Not as colored as Etymotic’s midrange, still stay intact with neutral course
-second best resolving among four
-not warm/not dry, balanced tonality tuning
-widest sound stage among all four, yet it’s just average as an IEM
-runs perfectly with regular ipad dongle and controller works for play/pause, volumes & skip/back

Final Audio E1000 $29
-same resolution with E500, OK level
-tuning similar to VR3000, vocal focused neutral

Final Audio E500 $24
-OK, resolution
-best natural timbral accuracy among all four, no slightest hints of any coloration, solid neutral
-second best positional accuracy
-OK soundstage

My end of day overall usage pick will be E500, being cheapest yet best performing as neutral reference tuned IEM

VR3000 will be runner up as binaural/live recoding “reality simulator ”.

ER2SE for professional use in checking simple wave sound, not for music. It works great with learning language; great job for reproducing speaker’s voice just merely 3mm away from your eardrum. Not natural or neutral I would not call a roller coaster shape a neutral curve, it is boosted and colored for the sole purpose of making voice audible. No diffusion field, so sound is not natural but posotive effect is the sound doesn’t diffuse so you can clearly track the one last transient of it. Long story short, just imagine a hearing aid on steroids, that’s basically what ER2SE is.

E1000 for vocal lover’s neutral reference pick

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #56,561 of 99,335
iBasso IT01X just arrived:

These have an awesome unboxing experience for the price it sells for.

Package: 4 pairs of white wide-bore silicone tips. 3 pairs of translucent grey wide-bore silicone tips. 3 pairs of black regular-bore silicone tips. 3 pairs of grey/blue wide-bore silicone tips. 2 pairs of foam tips (extremely slow rebound). Metal iBasso Audio-branded case. User Guide. Warranty card. 1 pair replacement screw-on nozzle.

I don't know if it's possible to not get the right ear tip for your ears 😂

Build-wise, I'm not sure of the shell material but it's very light. Cable is excellent - 4 cores, slightly thicker cores than usual, soft, handles well, metal hack and splitter (as well as holder) and didn't retain the "rolled" form. Interestingly, it's like a 4-core version of the BQEYZ Summer cable with thicker cores.

MMCX connectors were weird as it didn't "click" in place. Also tight-fitting.

Fit is good for my ears (doesn't fall off when I shake my head). Size is of the smaller side. Isolation is non-existent.

IMG20210517151324.jpg

IMG20210517151425.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too early for what signature the IT01X follows, but one thing's for sure - these sound different to the point that I was weirded out by the presentation when I put them in my ears. I'm having a hard time determining what exactly sounds different.

Vocals are forward and intimate, especially male which is why I have a confused face right now. The songs that I thought I knew by heart are presented like they're in a different dimension - there's this "transparency" that I never heard before in my other IEMs. Vocal detail is highlighted so much compared to my previous IEMs. I might just drop all of them by half a star once I post a full review of the IT01x.

Bass has nice impact. It's present but it doesn't shout in bold letters, "Look at me!"

There's definitely a peak/s in the treble region and upper midrange is slightly elevated. Can't determine yet where exactly and by how much.

Soundstage is still in your head. However, I'm being mind-blown by the instrument layering and placement/imaging. Add in the non-existent isolation and it's like the music is all around you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently running them with the Earstudio HUD100 MK2 (high power, bypass; connected to laptop) and the translucent grey wide-bore tips (small) at my usual listening volume (low-medium; 1/100).
These are rated at 108 dB and 16 ohms. Quick A/B and there was no noticeable difference between low power and high power. Will further look for one if there are any in the future.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #56,562 of 99,335
Whoever came up with the design idea to write "In Tune" on them needs to follow a different career path.

May 17, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #56,563 of 99,335
Whoever came up with the design idea to write "In Tune" on them needs to follow a different career path.
+1 😂

Would have preferred the model name instead.

Well, the faceplate does look nice, I'll give them that. It's like it's covered in glass.

----------------

UPDATE:
Switched to the Tennmak Whirlwind-like looking tips (medium) and it's now even airier at the expense of bass. I've got a Lypertek Bevi 2 which should arrive any time now and the IT01X might have spoiled the experience.

UPDATE 2:
Current preference for tips is the translucent gray, wide-bore ones. The regular bore tips, meanwhile, make it bassier which I don't like for the IT01X.

UPDATE 3:
Now using white, wide-bore tips. Similar to grey, maybe slightly punchier bass response but isn't significant.

UPDATE 4:
Bass extension isn't exceptional. Reaches sub-bass but struggles to provide satisfying rumble. Might improve after significant burn-in due to driver design.

----------------

Just read the marketing materials, and it says that it's a "Double Sided Beryllium-plated Diaphragm." If this means that it's also one of the 2021 trends of "dual diaphragm dynamic drivers," then that may be why initial listen is very positive.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #56,564 of 99,335
May 17, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #56,565 of 99,335
Another one!

Lypertek Bevi 2:

Unboxing leaves much to be desired after the wonderful experience that is the IT01X considering that there's only a ~30 USD difference.

Package: Carrying case. 4 pairs of silicone tips. 3 pairs of foam tips. Silica pack.

Cable is nothing to write home about. Generic and microphonic though it does have metal parts. Only available with a mic.

Fit, meanwhile, is awesome! Look at how small it is!

------------------------

186498664_145720844202556_5555481361646972457_n.jpg
184195564_131186748971980_2612586190145592216_n.jpg
186556840_112861717538402_5367051854683814291_n.jpg

----------------------------------

Now, for the sound, it's nothing exceptional after the IT01X. A neutral-tuned IEM with a mid-bass boost resulting in a warm signature that uses the Knowles RAF-32873 (this info's from Lypertek). I'm not sure if they did anything else to the BA. It currently sells for 79.90 USD.

Is it "good?" Depends on how you see it. Personally speaking, it plays well my playlist.
Is the price "justifiable?" Maybe. There IS a lot of competition even in sub-20 USD bracket.

So what am I paying for here? Form factor. Knowles BA. Warm-neutral tuning. MMCX.

----------------------------------

Oh, and as you can see on the pic, it uses really narrow nozzles. If I am correct, that's T100 size? 33 ohms at 110 dB. MMCX connection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back