The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #54,616 of 103,043
Which ones first with my new EA Maestro cable??
20210130_212233.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #54,617 of 103,043
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #54,618 of 103,043
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #54,619 of 103,043
For the last thirty years or so, the larger audio community, listeners and creative types alike, has become polarized around the question of whether or not the cables used to connect recording and playback devices can affect the quality of reproduced audio. The competing factions can be loosely divided into two camps: the subjectivists and the objectivists. For subjectivists, a change in connecting cables in an audio signal chain can introduce a perceptible change in the sound of the system.
Objectivists point to measurements and formulae and insist that such perceptions of change have no basis in reality. Personally while sharing an objectivist desire to correlate experience with data, I am in the subjectivist camp. I hear subtle differences in cables. Mind you not as drastic changes as eartips rolling.

We subjectivists have typically listened to, and a lot of us have bought, many different cables for our sound systems. Given, in the opinion of the unenlightened, our obsessive natures, many of us have also digested white papers, engaged in debate about the merits of various conductor sizes, configurations and geometries, materials, alloys and laminates, and diverse insulating materials and connector designs. Yet, no one seems to question a simple and fundamental premise: conductor material is solid.

With a solid conductor, or rather, an alloy or element in a solidus (below melting point) atomic lattice configuration. In such condition, ‘electrical response’ , or electron flow, is restricted to electron orbital ‘co-joined’ pathways in the atomic lattice. This is the situation in what we call ‘DC Flow’ in the given conductor. This relates to named observations like Johnson–Nyquist noise.

A solid metal wire is confined to simple DC flow considerations, and all points above or beyond those DC considerations, with a complex AC audio signal applied to the solid wire cable are inherently a compromise and generate distortion.

So theoretically what we need to achieve in the best audio cable is with a liquid conductor.

In a liquid conductive pathway, things are markedly different, regarding electron transfer conditions and electron flow.

First, to define a liquid conductive pathway, in being one that is occuring at the ‘atom to atom’, or even ‘molecule to molecule’ level. Meaning, no solids in a liquid carrier. At the atomic level – a liquid, likened to that of liquid water.

Under such conditions as a true liquid conductor, electrical transfer characteristics change dramatically, in, for the most part, far more advantageous ways as compared to that of a solid conducting pathway. This, regarding use as an ‘audio’ cable in theory.

Theoretically if liquid metal cable is thin enough to exist and feasible for earphones, it will have RF waveguide considerations, magento-hydrodynamic flow and function considerations, as well as retaining some conditions of DC flow characteristics.

There is a company in Eastern Canada that already manufactures this kind of cable for the speakers and amps but they are quite thick and not ideal for a portable use. I am going to contact and suggest them to engineer something for us but probably not possible.

Actually what might be feasible is magnetic conduction patented by High Fidelity cable in US and how they preserve signal integrity by utilizing magnetism to enhance signal transfer. Magnetic Conduction consists of using magnetic fields with the precise strength, orientation, and dimensions as to concentrate electron flow inside the conductor. I used to own some of their cables for my speakers system and they were flexible and thin enough that it might be possible for us earphones enthusiasts.

It's been proven time and time again that cables, of the correct specification for the system, measure identical.

However, what has also recently been proven is that bias can actually change how our brain processes the signal, resulting in the same signal sounding different. If you expect cable B to sound different to cable A then chances are they will sound different. But if you gave them those two cables to someone who didn't hold such expectations then they will sound the same.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #54,620 of 103,043
Isn't there a specific thread for this specific "controversial" topic that divides the whole audio world? Though I do understand that it is related to the purpose of the discovery thread, but still.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #54,621 of 103,043
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #54,622 of 103,043
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #54,623 of 103,043
It's a Sony with a totl tuning that's universally acclaimed...what could possibly go wrong :sunglasses:
IMG_4401.PNG
Screenshot_20210115_171803.jpg

So a budget KZ has a similar TOTL tuning as well? :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #54,625 of 103,043
-4644640521644102538~2.jpg

Just put in my order for the Smabat X1. Dual dynamic (10mm + 6mm), tuning switch on the back, $50; will be interesting to see how these turn out!

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #54,627 of 103,043
1612094113451.png

Apparently the measurement looks VERY different from the Yume' box which seems to imply it's Harman targeted but this seems more like as Crinacle calls it:"Neutral with Bass Boost"... Wonder if I want this.

On the other hand I can't find anything about Prisma other than from a single Aminus review.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #54,628 of 103,043
-4644640521644102538~2.jpg

Just put in my order for the Smabat X1. Dual dynamic (10mm + 6mm), tuning switch on the back, $50; will be interesting to see how these turn out!
Looks interesting, will put this one on my wishlist for sale on Ali :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #54,629 of 103,043
Looks interesting, will put this one on my wishlist for sale on Ali :)

No published FR chart that I can see. Their previous two IEMs (NCO and Black Bat) didn't turn out too bad, however, so I am optimistic :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #54,630 of 103,043

Apparently the measurement looks VERY different from the Yume' box which seems to imply it's Harman targeted but this seems more like as Crinacle calls it:"Neutral with Bass Boost"... Wonder if I want this.

On the other hand I can't find anything about Prisma other than from a single Aminus review.
Yume from crinacle's graph is very close to Yume's box graph.
yu.png

Read "Scaling & Smoothing" section of crinacle's How to Read Graphs article if you think they are different because crinacle's graph looks "flatter" to you.
Also, there is a difference between Measuring Systems, see audio could use system that different from crinacle's system.
https://crinacle.com/2020/04/08/graphs-101-how-to-read-headphone-measurements/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back