The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #54,646 of 106,703
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #54,647 of 106,703
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #54,649 of 106,703
itsokay.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #54,650 of 106,703
I feel very fortunate to have this combo in the Hifiman RE-00 and Sony A55 (Mr Walkman FW). What a treat to my ears. If you can get your hands on a pair of RE-00, i'd recommend you do (not for bassheads!!!). Very hard to find, as are any RE-0, RE-ZERO, or early RE anything. These are the Drop specials.

Attachments

• IMG_4788.jpg
    IMG_4788.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #54,651 of 106,703
It wasn't my money, it's not my iem its my mom's 40yr retirement gift to herself, and there was a package deal that made it make sense. And even though it doesn't matter, it was paid in full by 5 shares of gme stock that were purchased a month prior for $19 and sold at $379 so it cost under $100 in actuality. But yeah go off meme God

And if you look at it from paying with dogecoin shares then it cost under $1 I sold over a million shares at .07 that were bought when it was worth a tenth of a cent, .0016 actually last march

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #54,652 of 106,703
It wasn't my money, it's not my iem its my mom's 40yr retirement gift to herself, and there was a package deal that made it make sense. And even though it doesn't matter, it was paid in full by 5 shares of gme stock that were purchased a month prior for $19 and sold at $379 so it cost under $100 in actuality. But yeah go off meme God

And if you look at it from paying with dogecoin shares then it cost under $1 I sold over a million shares at .07 that were bought when it was worth a tenth of a cent, .0016 actually last march

If you got the coin, then indulge your whims, brotha! Congrats on mom's retirement, and stock savvy. Look at our own @jwbrent, who has blessed us with a few reviews of purchases that make yours look like budget shopping. LOL Not to mention @Dsnuts.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #54,653 of 106,703
If you got the coin, then indulge your whims, brotha! Congrats on mom's retirement, and stock savvy. Looks at our own @jwbrent, who has blessed us with a few reviews of purchases that make yours look like budget shopping. LOL Not to mention @Dsnuts.
With the last 7 days in the stock market I'm chilling for a while, my portfolio increased over 500k which doesn't matter whatsoever it just rubs me the wrong way when people make comments trying to make people second guess their purchases that they are obviously excited about

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #54,656 of 106,703
With the last 7 days in the stock market I'm chilling for a while, my portfolio increased over 500k which doesn't matter whatsoever it just rubs me the wrong way when people make comments trying to make people second guess their purchases that they are obviously excited about
Welcome to the Internet 😃
No offence, but most people do not like when someone brags about how much they have won in the lifes lottery, especially if someone sounds too co**y about it.
What difference does your portfolio makes in the grand scheme of things in the thread about discoveries in audio equipment? Or that you have bought a bunch of expensive stuff?I do hope that expensive stuff sounds great for the amount it costs.
I am more excited when people listen to blons or dq6 and are blown away, that so little can get you so much.
Peace as usual ✌️

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #54,657 of 106,703
On the topic of discoveries. I ordered a ton of tips hoping that I will find gems among them:

Elecom EHP-CAP20LWH

Radius HP-DME01K

Final Audio Type A

Final Audio Type B

Sony EP-TC50L

JVC EP-FX8L

JVC EP-FX2

The ones I have the most hope for is the Type A/B tips. Its always so frustrating when the Type E´s seems to always be out of stock and no one seems to have the Type A/B to know if they are good alternatives in those situations.

The JVC FX2 on the other hand is praised here: https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/
1612134404026.png

So very curious to see if I agree with that or not. They only cost 300 jpy while the ordinary spiral dots are around 900 jpy, so could be a great budget alternative.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #54,658 of 106,703
On the topic of discoveries. I ordered a ton of tips hoping that I will find gems among them:

Elecom EHP-CAP20LWH

Radius HP-DME01K

Final Audio Type A

Final Audio Type B

Sony EP-TC50L

JVC EP-FX8L

JVC EP-FX2

The ones I have the most hope for is the Type A/B tips. Its always so frustrating when the Type E´s seems to always be out of stock and no one seems to have the Type A/B to know if they are good alternatives in those situations.

The JVC FX2 on the other hand is praised here: https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

So very curious to see if I agree with that or not. They only cost 300 jpy while the ordinary spiral dots are around 900 jpy, so could be a great budget alternative.
no Ortofon ?
it's so comfy and sound similar to the Type E,

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #54,659 of 106,703
Here's a review of the HE-01... but it's in Russian.

[/QUOTE
Here's a review of the HE-01... but it's in Russian.

This is what I believe he says (mind, the last time I used Russian was 20 years ago, so I may be missing his meaning completely; maybe someone else who knows Russian better can translate with more specifics):
- The two eartip wheels contain tips labelled as "Vocal" and "Reference", but he didn't like them much and tested the earphone with SpiralDots.
- He repeatedly calls the sound of these "meaty", though at first he didn't like them, but after some burn in he was surprised by how much they improved. He found them to be shouty at first, but then the sound became more balanced.
- Overall tonality is warm, with slightly elevated mid-bass.
- The bass is "meaty" and is well-controlled. It has good slam. It has good definition and doesn't come across as blurred. It deals well with fast percussion parts. I believe he says this is not a bass-head IEM.
- He was surprised by the mids, which he considers to be something in between monitor-like and musical. Mids have good texture and are "meaty" - I suppose it's meant to say full-bodied?
- Well-defined, deep headstage. They give the impression of outstanding depth.
- Good layering
- They do well in rendering even soft sounds and make it easy to pinpoint the sources.
- They are revealing, so high quality recordings are recommended. They favour acoustic music over rock/metal, though that doesn't mean the latter two will sound bad.
- Highs are likewise "meaty" and weighty. He makes a comparison to balanced armatures and I believe he says that the HE-01 renders highs just as well as BAs. The highs are are of comfortable and soft nature
- I think he says that people sensitive to highs won't like this IEM much. So I suppose these are V- or L-shaped?
- By his tastes, the HE-01 is one of the best budget dynamic IEMs of 2020.

Oh i forgot ..Jurgen/Otto Motor/Schweinsgrüber reviewed them as well! I got confused because the name 'Kylin" now seems to be used only with listings for HE-03, which is more expensive
https://www.audioreviews.org/whizzer-kylin-he01-review-jk/

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #54,660 of 106,703
no Ortofon ?
it's so comfy and sound similar to the Type E,
They arent available on amazon japan. Thats where I ordered all those tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back