The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #54,631 of 106,703
Looks interesting, will put this one on my wishlist for sale on Ali :)
No more AliEx sales for me.. I have four orders in dispute from 11/11...I know that the shipping is out of their hands once it leaves the seller but AE is supposed to be Guarenteed delivery or your money back... They are no longer standing behind this and are making customers become detectives to solve the missing or stolen orders mysteries. .. Buyer Beware.... I can no longer trust Aliexpress to Hold onto my hard earned cash for months and Hope that maybe the order will arrive in 3 months....

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #54,632 of 106,703
No more AliEx sales for me.. I have four orders in dispute from 11/11...I know that the shipping is out of their hands once it leaves the seller but AE is supposed to be Guarenteed delivery or your money back... They are no longer standing behind this and are making customers become detectives to solve the missing or stolen orders mysteries. .. Buyer Beware.... I can no longer trust Aliexpress to Hold onto my hard earned cash for months and Hope that maybe the order will arrive in 3 months....

What country are you in and what happened exactly?

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #54,633 of 106,703
Ok up next..

Penon Fan

Fan sounds like it is trying to be competent all-rounder, but it is mostly a miss for me as it decidedly sounds warm and leans slightly towards the dark. The bass and treble are present in roughly equal quantities, with the mids recessed. Extension is mediocre on both ends but the top end isn’t harsh at least. The bass has a fair bit of punch but can be too boomy for my liking. The midrange is obscured slightly by the bass at the low end and lacks clarity to be engaging. Treble response is pretty smooth but rolls off early, and lacks information compared to its peers. Sadly I cannot recommend the Fan without some serious equalization in the midrange, treble and bass.
I agree. So far, to me the Fan has too much mid bass, is boomy, has recessed mids, has no shouty upper mids, has some sharp areas of lower treble, likely intended to provide treble sparkle so as not to be too dark. The driver seems like it has quite good technical capabilities, but I don’t really like the tuning. I much prefer the ISN D02.

The IEM looks great though, with a very nice faceplate, and the isolation is very good for a single DD IEM. No driver flex for me, unlike my ISN D02, that I have to use foam tips for because of such bad driver flex. If you like a warm, V-shaped sound signature, this could be a really fun IEM for you, but it’s not really my taste.

Edit: Of note, I’m still breaking in the drivers (maybe 20hrs so far), so I’ll see if it significantly changes for the better over time.

Update: It is sounding better, with noticeably less mid bass, and less boominess. The treble has smoothed some as well.

Update: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-16150371

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #54,634 of 106,703
Received a set of the Dunu DM-380 yesterday. Very interesting, bought from AMP3 during a one-day half-price sale. Triple titanium drivers, 1x DD 6mm bass driver, 1× 5mm DD mids driver and 1× 5mm DD treble driver, fixed cable. Sounded a bit lame from the off....until I'd broke in for an hour and put on the magic panacea.....Spiral Dot L. Game changer. The stock tips looked good but sounded awful. I have seen 3 reviews. One loves them, one rates them and one thinks they are tat. These are really good in most ways except the fixed cable. Dunu are possibly the most consistent brand and these £24 Black Friday offerings belie what they can deliver. These are not tame, very punchy, impactful sound, that covers the FR well. Good build quality....just that fixed cable. The sound doesn't hide and sounds great from my Samsung S9 plus. For a cheap pair of mobile phone IEMs...these are the guys. Way better than expected. It's the 'tips' that do it. Reviewers are often stuck reviewing with stock tips. Just a simple, silly thing like a change of tip, turns these guys from a frog into a prince.
I think it's maybe also you checking in with very similar comments beneath a CCA CST listing on Ali X? Which inspires me to ask, do you think it at all possible that salesmen can place fake reviiews there? I only ask because the long string of ecstatic reports from buyers of Whiizzer HE-01 would seem to totally contradict the only comments i can find in this thread re that very earphone, to wit, that they have "dark tuning and rolled-off treble", whatever *that* really means, haha... !

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #54,635 of 106,703
I think it's maybe also you checking in with very similar comments beneath a CCA CST listing on Ali X? Which inspires me to ask, do you think it at all possible that salesmen can place fake reviiews there? I only ask because the long string of ecstatic reports from buyers of Whiizzer HE-01 would seem to totally contradict the only comments i can find in this thread re that very earphone, to wit, that they have "dark tuning and rolled-off treble", whatever *that* really means, haha... !
Oh shoot. Somehow this comment of mine has appeared beneath the WRONG quote. How the hell did that happen? Was meant to respond to person exalting about CCA CST timbre, etc. Where the heck did that go?

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #54,636 of 106,703
No published FR chart that I can see. Their previous two IEMs (NCO and Black Bat) didn't turn out too bad, however, so I am optimistic :)

If you own NCO, then would like to know your comparisons. NCO is very underrated. This X1 looks very interesting as well. Looking forward to your impressions :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #54,637 of 106,703
?????? Que?

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #54,641 of 106,703
Here's a review of the HE-01... but it's in Russian.

This is what I believe he says (mind, the last time I used Russian was 20 years ago, so I may be missing his meaning completely; maybe someone else who knows Russian better can translate with more specifics):
- The two eartip wheels contain tips labelled as "Vocal" and "Reference", but he didn't like them much and tested the earphone with SpiralDots.
- He repeatedly calls the sound of these "meaty", though at first he didn't like them, but after some burn in he was surprised by how much they improved. He found them to be shouty at first, but then the sound became more balanced.
- Overall tonality is warm, with slightly elevated mid-bass.
- The bass is "meaty" and is well-controlled. It has good slam. It has good definition and doesn't come across as blurred. It deals well with fast percussion parts. I believe he says this is not a bass-head IEM.
- He was surprised by the mids, which he considers to be something in between monitor-like and musical. Mids have good texture and are "meaty" - I suppose it's meant to say full-bodied?
- Well-defined, deep headstage. They give the impression of outstanding depth.
- Good layering
- They do well in rendering even soft sounds and make it easy to pinpoint the sources.
- They are revealing, so high quality recordings are recommended. They favour acoustic music over rock/metal, though that doesn't mean the latter two will sound bad.
- Highs are likewise "meaty" and weighty. He makes a comparison to balanced armatures and I believe he says that the HE-01 renders highs just as well as BAs. The highs are are of comfortable and soft nature
- I think he says that people sensitive to highs won't like this IEM much. So I suppose these are V- or L-shaped?
- By his tastes, the HE-01 is one of the best budget dynamic IEMs of 2020.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #54,642 of 106,703
Can't wait for them. I own Aune's first model - E1 (Polish Aune's distributor has exclusivity for it). Also single dynamic and it is still my favourite set - organic sound, very coherent. This one is much pricier but i exprect to be much better. Deffinitelly on my list.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #54,643 of 106,703
So i can only hope some very plucky soul will now try to address the weird discrepancy between no reviews of Whizzer HE-01 anywhere and a great string of them, all of which are raves, on Ali X !

If they don't send free review samples out there will be little to no reviews. They're decent earphones with build type, price and frequency response in roughly the same ballpark as TFZ No3, NF Audio NM2 and Simgot MT3. I like the HE01 less than the MT3 but more than the No3, not sure where the NM2 stands right now as I haven't listened to those in a while.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #54,644 of 106,703
Penn Volt and Totem in hand. OMG
20210131_133609.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #54,645 of 106,703
The KZ DQ6 belongs in that group. Every day they amaze me even more. This is coming from a guy who has been buying and selling and hating KZ products for YEARS. KZ finally got it right with the DQ6. These triple dynamic are coherent, lively, detailed, wide stage, and balanced. They are my favorite currently, and sound as good as the LZ A7 (minus the 3D presentation and refinement), with better bass. Though things change daily in this hobby, and even in my own collection, the current kings of budget are the DQ6 (burn in definitely required). They sounded very underwhelming OOTB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back