The discovery thread!
Jul 7, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #48,031 of 102,995
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #48,033 of 102,995
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #48,034 of 102,995
FR 5 Hz to 40 kHz? That's preposterous.

I forget what I was looking at a few weeks ago, but it had specifications listed 20-100k. Uh huh, riiight

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #48,036 of 102,995
Anybody tried this Co-Donguri brand before?

http://trdsn.com/product_codonguri_s2.html
https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000303884

Apparently comes with Final E type eartips, which is already a big proportion of the 3465 yen (~ $32 USD) asking price!

Let me chime in on this. This is basically the Japan boutique brand that has 2 divisions - Surround (Low end) & Ocharaku (High end). Co-donguri Shizuku is Surround's entry level. There are 4 types of Shizuku including this, OG, Dual Tornado Equalizer Limited, Brass & S2. Surround also has Donguri Series (Raku, Syou Hagane & Syou Kurenai) and Chonmage Series (3 & Kun). As for the Shizuku (excluding S2), I personally don't think they are competitive anymore. I am curious on S2 too.

As for the higher end, they have Donguri and Flat 4 Series. I still enjoy my Donguri Kaede now which I bought during my Japan trip in 2017. For the Flat 4 series, I am not a fan of the treble as it is harsh imo. There is actually a thread on this brand https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ocharaku-音茶楽-thread.668611.

Happy listening everyone!

My Donguri Kaede
FB_IMG_1594143782632.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #48,038 of 102,995
So I finally got my TRN VX yesterday. I let it burn in over night before listening to it at all. Really hoping this one improves as it burns in..

It's thin sounding, tuned badly, and overall wouldn't make it past 30 seconds with most of my other sets in a A-B comparison (checked the polarity multiple times since it sounded like it might be out of phase). The TRN official store did include an extra TRN t3 cable though.... Not that I need another 3.5mm cable lying around.

I'm not sure what they were going for with this set, but so far, I'm not sure I'd rank it above any set in my collection....

Build quality is pretty good though! Step in the right direction there at least....

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #48,039 of 102,995
Ya my thoughts exactly. I cant for the life of me figure out what they are doing with this tuning. There are some tracks that sound OK and then you hit that high note and it is more than cringe enducing. I hate to say this but the TRN VX has to be the worst sounding earphones I have heard in a long time. And no amount of burning will help these out. These are currently collecting dust. Gotta figure out what mod I will do to salvage these if at all. AS they are I would take the QOA pink lady over these and you all know how I felt about those. Lol.

I know some of you guys got the free sample to do the review on these. Tell it like it is. These are not good. Thin, dry notes with splashy bright treble is not a recipe for success. Don't know how these made it through QC and think. WOW these sound great. I like that it pokes and tingles my ear drums every time it hits a high note. What a HI FI effect!.

I can tell they were going for a reference type tuning but that treble. Lol.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #48,040 of 102,995
Ya my thoughts exactly. I cant for the life of me figure out what they are doing with this tuning. There are some tracks that sound OK and then you hit that high note and it is more than cringe enducing. I hate to say this but the TRN VX has to be the worst sounding earphones I have heard in a long time. And no amount of burning will help these out. These are currently collecting dust. Gotta figure out what mod I will do to salvage these if at all. AS they are I would take the QOA pink lady over these and you all know how I felt about those. Lol.

I know some of you guys got the free sample to do the review on these. Tell it like it is. These are not good. Thin notes with splashy bright treble is not a recipe for success. Don't know how these made it through QC and think. WOW these sound great. I like that it pokes and tingles my ear drums every time it hits a high note. What a HI FI effect!.

Guess you have to burn them, for real :sob:

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #48,041 of 102,995
I aint loosing sleep over them but at the same time what a wasted opportunity. Shows a lack of awareness and experience in tuning on these. I can tell they wanted to go for a high end tuning with them but if they can reduce that treble end by 5dbs it would actually sound decent. What I don't get is all the 5 star ratings on these on the express. I suppose if these folks have never heard a proper sounding earphone before they could think all that treble is a good thing. I have no idea.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #48,042 of 102,995

I know some of you guys got the free sample to do the review on these. Tell it like it is. These are not good. Thin notes with splashy bright treble is not a recipe for success. Don't know how these made it through QC and think. WOW these sound great. I like that it pokes and tingles my ear drums every time it hits a high note. What a HI FI effect!.

Like all my sets except for two, I paid full price ($64 with coupons) and was initially pretty excited about the design.

I thought it'd be like the V90 on steroids.

I have a pure copper cable on these and they still lack any note weight, warmth and are still shrill and the treble is right in your ear drum. I'm not treble sensitive, and don't mind sets most people consider bright with my 38 year old ears, but these are just so wrong in the treble... And not just how they graph out.

Instead of making the treble airy and spacious sounding it's like a bullhorn directly to your eardrum. Reminds me of early Klipsch horn tweeters.... That's not a compliment....

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #48,043 of 102,995
I remember seeing HBBs vid on these. I believe the reason why the treble is so prominent on these is due to the treble BA being in the nozzle end. It is funny if you look at graphs it dont look all that spiky but hearing them is a different matter. I have had a few earphones with the BAs in the nozzle and they didnt sound this crazy. Treble never stood out like the VX do.

Oh well you buy you try and you learn. Not ready for prime time. For similar dosh. T2 plus is for real. These not so much.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #48,044 of 102,995
The thing is, burn-in with the TRN VX is a different process than with most other IEMs. You actually have to wear them while burning them in. Take a painkiller of choice, turn the volume up to the maximum you can tolerate, and over time, it won’t hurt so much. As you achieve ideal high-frequency hearing loss, the sound will blossom into sweet, smooth sounding melody.
(KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back