The discovery thread!
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #48,046 of 106,709
I actually like TRN VX. They're not for any genre though. (They fit soo well, that I was willing to try extra hard to make it work for me). First, I use $8 KBear copper with it. Anything that boosts treble, like SPC, silver, more than 4 wire copper (anything thick is no go!). When I'm sensitive to treble, I'd obviously resort to something like Ronald or Orb. But the rest of the time I find VX very usable and a sizable upgrade over V90 with more balanced "audiophile" tuning.
When I was writing about CCA CA16 (one of my favorite cheapies, now de-throned by FiiO FD1), I used a few of Fifth Harmony tracks (Pop-dance I guess?) that has a very dense and thick bass line, the kind that on something like Roland or Orb - would smother the resolution and kill soundstage. In that test, CA16 did ok, while A6mini & TRN VX did very well. So, Dance, trance, heavy pop, anything with a lot of base will make it shine. As for treble peak, I find that when I can bear FH7, the same time VX sounds good to me too. Granted, less smooth, but I can sleep on my side with it, and sound is not affected. I have some dark sounding tracks like Two Steps From Hell kind, that are fantastic on FH7 and also very good on VX. And when 8K peak bugs me too much, EQFI takes care of it with ease.
Now, would I recommend TRN VX today? Sound-wise no. FiiO FD1 is like a $60 nuclear bomb that has annihilated my entire budget collection. Nothing in $100 range can touch it. The tonal balance of FD1 is remarkable! Agree with YT reviewer Hifi Dreams when he says that he would take it over FH5.
HifiGo store sent me a black one instead of green but in person, it looks good with black cable, so whatever...

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #48,047 of 106,709
I actually like TRN VX. They're not for any genre though. (They fit soo well, that I was willing to try extra hard to make it work for me). First, I use $8 KBear copper with it. Anything that boosts treble, like SPC, silver, more than 4 wire copper (anything thick is no go!). When I'm sensitive to treble, I'd obviously resort to something like Ronald or Orb. But the rest of the time I find VX very usable and a sizable upgrade over V90 with more balanced "audiophile" tuning.
When I was writing about CCA CA16 (one of my favorite cheapies, now de-throned by FiiO FD1), I used a few of Fifth Harmony tracks (Pop-dance I guess?) that has a very dense and thick bass line, the kind that on something like Roland or Orb - would smother the resolution and kill soundstage. In that test, CA16 did ok, while A6mini & TRN VX did very well. So, Dance, trance, heavy pop, anything with a lot of base will make it shine. As for treble peak, I find that when I can bear FH7, the same time VX sounds good to me too. Granted, less smooth, but I can sleep on my side with it, and sound is not affected. I have some dark sounding tracks like Two Steps From Hell kind, that are fantastic on FH7 and also very good on VX. And when 8K peak bugs me too much, EQFI takes care of it with ease.
Now, would I recommend TRN VX today? Sound-wise no. FiiO FD1 is like a $60 nuclear bomb that has annihilated my entire budget collection. Nothing in $100 range can touch it. The tonal balance of FD1 is remarkable! Agree with YT reviewer Hifi Dreams when he says that he would take it over FH5.
HifiGo store sent me a black one instead of green but in person, it looks good with black cable, so whatever...
You might want to try the iBasso IT00. It's my top pick under 100 USD. :)

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #48,048 of 106,709
You might want to try the iBasso IT00. It's my top pick under 100 USD. :)
Thanks, I'm very aware of it00 since it04 is one of my top favorites, (that not getting deserved ear-time only because it04 is pushing the limits of my concha so I can only wear it a few hours at a time). So naturally, I blind bought AM05 - what a disaster and missed opportunity by iBasso with perfect tonal accuracy, yet most anemic BA bass.
Now, I would love to hear someone compare it00 to FD1, because to my taste it01 is not really competitive to new Be DD of FD1. I will do some more a-b testing with it01 later, now, that FD1 had probably good 50hours on it(of actual listening).
Also, I finally pulled the trigger on open box Noble M3. Will get it this Friday. Wanted it for a long time even though by my standards - it's a bass-head IEM. It graphs like Shouer Tape, so I should be ok with it.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #48,049 of 106,709
Thanks, I'm very aware of it00 since it04 is one of my top favorites, (that not getting deserved ear-time only because it04 is pushing the limits of my concha so I can only wear it a few hours at a time). So naturally, I blind bought AM05 - what a disaster and missed opportunity by iBasso with perfect tonal accuracy, yet most anemic BA bass.
Now, I would love to hear someone compare it00 to FD1, because to my taste it01 is not really competitive to new Be DD of FD1. I will do some more a-b testing with it01 later, now, that FD1 had probably good 50hours on it(of actual listening).
Also, I finally pulled the trigger on open box Noble M3. Will get it this Friday. Wanted it for a long time even though by my standards - it's a bass-head IEM. It graphs like Shouer Tape, so I should be ok with it.
Most likely, you are used to DD bass haha. Will let you know once I have tried the FD1. For me, I am not a fan of the M3 but I hope you like it since you bought it already. Cheers.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #48,051 of 106,709
Most likely, you are used to DD bass haha. Will let you know once I have tried the FD1. For me, I am not a fan of the M3 but I hope you like it since you bought it already. Cheers.
True. I like AM05 but it's even more genre limited than Blessing2, which has de-tuned but nonetheless rumbly DD bass. With M3 I know what to expect. Tape was poor mans M3. ABM driver of Tape is too fast and tuners had to compensate with that shouty lower treble hump. M3 driver is larger and expected to have more natural decay. Custom-universal shell of M3 I expect to fit my ears very well, it's 2pin, and not metal, very good isolation. It was favorably compared to Xelento, which I'm familiar with. Checks most of the boxes...
I'm looking forward to hearing from experienced reviewers like you & @Dsnuts about FD1. I'm blown away, and I'm usually very skeptical about single DD treble. FD1 has a bit of roll-off on top, I think BGGARs graph shows it, but seems to be intentional, because otherwise very capable driver. FiiO says "Flagship quality DD..." - I think true.
May I ask, what do you think about M3, a few words, why not a fan?

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #48,052 of 106,709
True. I like AM05 but it's even more genre limited than Blessing2, which has de-tuned but nonetheless rumbly DD bass. With M3 I know what to expect. Tape was poor mans M3. ABM driver of Tape is too fast and tuners had to compensate with that shouty lower treble hump. M3 driver is larger and expected to have more natural decay. Custom-universal shell of M3 I expect to fit my ears very well, it's 2pin, and not metal, very good isolation. It was favorably compared to Xelento, which I'm familiar with. Checks most of the boxes...
I'm looking forward to hearing from experienced reviewers like you & @Dsnuts about FD1. I'm blown away, and I'm usually very skeptical about single DD treble. FD1 has a bit of roll-off on top, I think BGGARs graph shows it, but seems to be intentional, because otherwise very capable driver. FiiO says "Flagship quality DD..." - I think true.
May I ask, what do you think about M3, a few words, why not a fan?
AM05 is more vocals oriented definitely. Will update you on the FD1 once I have tried it. Regarding the M3, it is very v-shaped with recessed and harsh midrange. It sounds completely wrong IMO. Very polarising sound. My top picks from the Noble line-up are Kaiser Encore, Katana & Savant 2. Cheers.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #48,055 of 106,709
AM05 is more vocals oriented definitely. Will update you on the FD1 once I have tried it. Regarding the M3, it is very v-shaped with recessed and harsh midrange. It sounds completely wrong IMO. Very polarising sound. My top picks from the Noble line-up are Kaiser Encore, Katana & Savant 2. Cheers.
Thanks a lot!:thumbsup:I've researched all of the mentioned as well as EE lineup. If I would want all BA detail monster, probably would consider Thie Voyager14. But for a TOTL - better yet Monarch. I'm that impressed with their tuning after experiencing Legacy3. As for Noble, most of their IEMs fit is not for my ears, M3 being an exception. :triportsad: I'm not worried about polarizing sound signature, Tape is polarising but I like how it renders percussions - lots of potential. Also, I live in a hell of a noise pollution - New York, and Tape was fun for commute, just don't think it would survive this use. Also, I've learned that ABM drivers need an ungodly amount of burn-in to flatten the mids. Well, if I'm wrong, then someone going to be getting a better deal on M3 than I've had:smile_phones:. BTW, when I'm bass sensitive - same issues you describe with M3 - I experience with some of my best IEMs, including IMR Red, ISN H40, even Sony Z5, so I'm familiar with this to the extreme. I don't expect M3 to be 24/7 usable, it will fill a niche, sadly, this is how I roll. There are times when AM05 with its polite bass is perfect. Oh well...

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #48,056 of 106,709
Thanks a lot!:thumbsup:I've researched all of the mentioned as well as EE lineup. If I would want all BA detail monster, probably would consider Thie Voyager14. But for a TOTL - better yet Monarch. I'm that impressed with their tuning after experiencing Legacy3. As for Noble, most of their IEMs fit is not for my ears, M3 being an exception. :triportsad: I'm not worried about polarizing sound signature, Tape is polarising but I like how it renders percussions - lots of potential. Also, I live in a hell of a noise pollution - New York, and Tape was fun for commute, just don't think it would survive this use. Also, I've learned that ABM drivers need an ungodly amount of burn-in to flatten the mids. Well, if I'm wrong, then someone going to be getting a better deal on M3 than I've had:smile_phones:. BTW, when I'm bass sensitive - same issues you describe with M3 - I experience with some of my best IEMs, including IMR Red, ISN H40, even Sony Z5, so I'm familiar with this to the extreme. I don't expect M3 to be 24/7 usable, it will fill a niche, sadly, this is how I roll. There are times when AM05 with its polite bass is perfect. Oh well...
Yea, this is why we own more than 1 IEM. :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #48,059 of 106,709
Looking forward to your impressions. No problem.

The Fedex man delivered a little package this morning. First time ever I've bought on one review. The iBasso it00. This could become a classic. Timbre and tone as good as Blon 03, a bit like a Moondrop Starfield on steroids. I immediately put on L Spiral Dots. Non fatiguing. For 60 odd quid this is a very well tuned IEM. Will come back with more as I listen more and will see if there is any burn in. Well recommended @audio123

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #48,060 of 106,709
The Fedex man delivered a little package this morning. First time ever I've bought on one review. The iBasso it00. This could become a classic. Timbre and tone as good as Blon 03, a bit like a Moondrop Starfield on steroids. I immediately put on L Spiral Dots. Non fatiguing. For 60 odd quid this is a very well tuned IEM. Will come back with more as I listen more and will see if there is any burn in. Well recommended @audio123
Glad to see you enjoying the IT00. The IT00 is a no-brainer at its price hence highly recommended. In this hobby, it is simply about trying as much gears as possible and being seasoned gradually (having high end reference points help definitely). Of course, ultimately it depends on your personal preference. Speaking of the Starfield, this is an IEM I didn't rave/recommend as I didn't enjoy listening to it. At the end of the day, happy listening and enjoy the music. The IT00 will get better with burn-in. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back