The discovery thread!
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #44,296 of 106,841
Can you explain?

One dark and one light (visually) , one bright/detailed and one warm/mellow.

Soundwise they're really polar opposites.

Luckily for me I enjoy them both :wink:

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #44,297 of 106,841
after 48 hours with the BIE, and pitting it against all my other budget priced dynamic drivers, and in some cases a good hour back and forth between the BIE, Moondrop's and Sony's, the BIE is the best of the bunch. In the head to head with the Crescents, the only area where the MD's won out was in bass quality. The crescents had more mature bass with higher resolution. You could hear the individual notes easier, with plucks, plinks, and slaps coming through more resolving than the bass of the BIE, but the bass in the BIE wasn't a slouch either. since the Crescents are a bit more power hungry, they required an amp to sound their best. The BIE played very well without an amp, and were plenty loud just out of a DAP or the phone. BIE's had more air between instruments, better imaging, and slightly better sound stage. Timbre goes to the Crescents, but not by much. Highs are similarly extended and resolving. note weight is slightly for the Crescents, but since the Crescents really needed a amp to play with the loudness and resolution of the BIE, i'm giving the edge to the BIE over the MD Crescents. If you're looking for a more accurate timbre along with more mid bass and smoother sound, then sure, i'd recommend the Crescents over the BIE, but playing from a level field of no amp and straight from the source, the musicality and imaging of the BIE wins out over not only the Crescents, but also the Sony MH755 and Sony MDR-EX300. These are not detail monsters, but neither are the Crescents or the Sony's. Musicality over details. Not gonna make you come into this thread and pronounce that you have to listen to your collection all over again because you're hearing details you never heard before, but maybe so you can listen to them with some top notch musicality and fun?! In the case of the Sony's, the lack of air, bass resolution, and extension of the highs with sibilance (the MH755 don't have sibilance, but they don't have any sparkle at all) just don't keep up with the BIE at all. The only areas they do keep up is in musicality and really nice vocal presentation. So to summarize, I sure am glad I took HBB's advice and jumped on the Venture Electronics BIE. They are the best sounding and musical cheapo earphones I have in my collection, and the more I listen to them, the more I enjoy that uncanny imaging, soundstage, and sweet ass mids. Guitars and vocals really attack in a goood way! Overall, they remind me of the Moondrop Kanas Pro with more comfort, similar bass resolution and mids, better highs, but not quite as mature sound, but damn close. Closer than the Crescents. Thank you.

Fit? Well, a couple others have commented on how short and stout the nozzles are, making for tip fitment a bit of a tricky situation, but I got lucky and found some UE500-600-700 silicone replacement tips that fit perfectly, stay on, and sound fantastic. So tip roll and good luck.

Recommendation? a hell yeah and no brainer sticker! For $20.00? Good luck finding something that sounds better and is more musical with instrumentation accuracy.

no-brainer-guarantee-image.png

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #44,298 of 106,841
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #44,299 of 106,841
Peter try out a silver coated or anything silver on your DB3 cable wise. Will balance out the sound more so. Coppers gonna get them to be more warnn bassy than they need to be. So guys that want to chat about the NiceHCK stuff please comment on the thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nicehck-earphones-thoughts-and-impressions.915497/

If I'm not mistaken the one I use is silverplated but I need to check as I've got too many. You know me I typically don't here much, if any, difference between cables :wink:

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #44,300 of 106,841
Silver coated usually gonna look silver in color. I would throw that on there. use it for a week. Then throw back your copper or whatever you was using before. If you can tell the slight sound changes than I would keep the one you like more so on the phones.

It usually takes a while for your brain to fully understand the little sound nuonces with cables. But is more noticeable when you change it to another after you get used to that sound.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #44,301 of 106,841
Silver coated usually gonna look silver in color. I would throw that on there. use it for a week. Then throw back your copper or whatever you was using before. If you can tell the slight sound changes than I would keep the one you like more so on the phones.

It usually takes a while for your brain to fully understand the little sound nuonces with cables. But is more noticeable when you change it to another after you get used to that sound.

I've stopped buying the white ones as they always goo green after some usage :wink:

Come to think of it I got a new cable in the mail too that I know is silver plated so I'll give it a try.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #44,302 of 106,841
Otto Motor, "I was travelling to China a lot in the first decade of this millennium...and looked at some of their Hifi. It was frequently sounding shrill and aggressive...goal was probably to generate something that leaves a lasting impression. And it surely did :D."

Could it derive from the "tonal vs verbal" language and generally more high pitched voices, I wonder...

Just for your edification, we don't all sound like characters from "Kung-Fu Hustle" or "Kung Pow".

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #44,303 of 106,841
Otto Motor, "I was travelling to China a lot in the first decade of this millennium...and looked at some of their Hifi. It was frequently sounding shrill and aggressive...goal was probably to generate something that leaves a lasting impression. And it surely did :D."

Just for your edification, we don't all sound like characters from "Kung-Fu Hustle" or "Kung Pow".

Well that's disappointing :/

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #44,304 of 106,841

Well that's disappointing :/

Just so that no one misinterprets my referenced post: my original reply was not directed at @Otto Motor

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #44,305 of 106,841
If you took my remark as an insult or bias - please reconsider.
The scientists are funny guys who like to measure and categorize all the weird stuff, so it seems there are plenty of studies related to the human voice pitch and the different languages.
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/ldc/VanHandelD4.pdf
http://site.hanyang.ac.kr/documents/24916/113960/Cho_Ladefoged_1999_JPhon.pdf
http://www.fonetiks.info/bgyang/db/96jp.pdf
https://www.jstor.org/stable/23752908?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
or less academic but more recent and operating on the public domain data
https://erikbern.com/2017/02/01/language-pitch.html
Up to 15 minutes of googling, all of them.
The last one has an interesting assumption, that some languages are simply better and more natural for higher pitches while others - for lower.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #44,306 of 106,841
Dont worry buddy, doubt anyone took offence - Actually its an interesting point.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #44,307 of 106,841
The thing i REALLY like about chifi stuff as a hobbyist and not a reviewer is that you can demo different stuff for extremely cheap and have a lot of different types of sets. If you find something you really like, you can hop into a higher end TOTL model of that type that'll be much more expensive, and only a little better.

I live in Iowa, so I don't get... Any local chance to demo gear unless I order it and return it...

In the past I'd been doing it in reverse, basically just "guessing" on pairs I might like and ordering them (Andromeda and CL2 come to mind). For $130, I can easily consider the Shuoer tape as nothing more than a demo if I end up not liking it... The EE est models though? Hell no, that's too big of a risk having never heard them.

I wish I understood a little more about the designs to tell how similar they really are... But the gap definitely seems to be narrowing, especially with 3d printing and crossover tech being so widespread now. I consider my bqeyz bq3 to basically be a budget version of the EE Legend X. I understand that it does some of the things the EE Legend X does only in cheaper or less complicated ways, but I'm not asking it to be essentially perfect like the legend x needs to be at that price.... The thing cost me $50, and with EQ and MSEB I can get it within spitting distance of the LX to my ears, and that's pretty damn impressive.
Yup, I agree. I also use EQ and MSEB and it's quite remarkable how a few DB of EQ can transform an inexpensive set into something that comes within spitting distance of the TOTL Western brands. I know that some people don't like to EQ, they are purists and don't believe in it, blah, blah, blah. Me; I've got no problem with EQing, if the end result is a sound I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back