The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #44,266 of 100,579
Its ok with the sellotape / scotch tape Mod - wrap tape around the nozzle 4-5 times / trim then the tips can grip ok

thanks for that tip. i'm gonna go ahead and try it.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #44,267 of 100,579
so the BLON is a basshead earphone? I bet that's why they're so popular? everytime a cheap boomer comes around that still provides decent highs, people go apes**t.

I don't know if they are, I'm very sensitive to midbass and the BL-03 just have too much for me.

I wasn't entirely correct in my post above as I did find the Bonus overly bassy until I found the right tips for them. Now they're fairly balanced with slightly recessed vocals. I'd guess ear anatomi play a role with the Bonus as well since it does with most IEM's. I'm also wearing mine over the ears.

I've also had mine since they were first released so I've got plenty of time playing around with them.

15706512564078289298000800269480.jpg

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #44,268 of 100,579
yeah! that was my main beef OOTB too. all my tips that had wider stems wouldn't stay on when i pulled them out of my ears. POP! I'm digging those tips out of my ears. terrible nozzle indeed. i've experienced them exactly like you have.

I have no problem with the nozzles. Auvios and Whirlwinds both work well. Will stick with the Whirlwinds as they cut the bass a little compared to the Auvios. I do get driver flex while inserting them though. Am I the only one? It is mainly in my right ear.

BIE with Tennmak Whirlwind tips

R0015611.JPG

Attachments

• R0015608.JPG
    R0015608.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #44,269 of 100,579
so the BLON is a basshead earphone? I bet that's why they're so popular? everytime a cheap boomer comes around that still provides decent highs, people go apes**t.
Hi...new to the thread. No, the Blons are not basshead at all or why they are so popular. It’s the general timbre, soundstaging and...yes, very decent highs.
Don’t be suspicious of their popularity. Take it as a possible cue to test.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #44,271 of 100,579

I hope not... Mine are still on the way, though, so a bit nervous.

According to crinicle's measurements, they are very very close to the Moondrop Crescent that you ranked fairly high up in your signature.
gdH8DarjhBVl45pAmZTUFLYM3hfAuW_gKtdY-rtzEbyqHxI-VorP-ISxNPXvyb5bhp8Qeg8s3pgv8Jos-w4ur7LgxuodgIhaRV3tYPejbjr9mbrNwHwR3sUkwPe4rDd6Djn3HRjG_w=w1600-h692-no

7mr7oLd2t1gFZf946

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #44,272 of 100,579

According to crinicle's measurements, they are very very close to the Moondrop Crescent that you ranked fairly high up in your signature.
gdH8DarjhBVl45pAmZTUFLYM3hfAuW_gKtdY-rtzEbyqHxI-VorP-ISxNPXvyb5bhp8Qeg8s3pgv8Jos-w4ur7LgxuodgIhaRV3tYPejbjr9mbrNwHwR3sUkwPe4rDd6Djn3HRjG_w=w1600-h692-no

7mr7oLd2t1gFZf946
They can be basshead with EQ, but they're not tuned like TFZ sets... They're extremely well refined for $30

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #44,274 of 100,579
So i've spent the afternoon listening to a boatload of 80's music, and comparing the BIE to my other single dynamic drivers. I immediately withdrew the Senns and the JVC. They did not play in the same ballpark as those three. All three were much better than the BIE, but i did put them up against the Crescents, TFZ King exclusives, Sony's, SoundMAGIC, and Philips. And the results will astound you...

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #44,275 of 100,579
So i've spent the afternoon listening to a boatload of 80's music, and comparing the BIE to my other single dynamic drivers. I immediately withdrew the Senns and the JVC. They did not play in the same ballpark as those three. All three were much better than the BIE, but i did put them up against the Crescents, TFZ King exclusives, Sony's, SoundMAGIC, and Philips. And the results will astound you...
And..........

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #44,276 of 100,579

not really, and my preference is neutral to bright usually. the Blon's bass is no more basshead than the Kanas, or even the head pounding TFZ Kings. i might even place them as just a little north of neutral in bass

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #44,277 of 100,579

I'm a basshead, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but I don't think the BLON BL-03 is basshead in quantity. IMHO it is north of neutral with the stock tips, with midbass more elevated than the subbass. But it does not reach jawrattling bass, and the TFZ No. 3, Semkarch SKC CNT1 (black filters) and even the Toneking ninetails with both red bass filters on are bassier in quantity than the BLON.

The issue is that most people have problems fitting the BLON with the stock eartips, and the headfiers are using different aftermarket tips or spacer mods for the BLON. I have a feeling the different eartips will influence the bass, so it depends on the tips used, some folks find the bass boomy, some not.

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #44,278 of 100,579
And..........

not quite there yet, but let's just say for right now, the BIE play close to or above all of them for various reasons I will get more in depth into, but a little addendum to the info bite, the BIE isn't one for super fast tracks like black metal or complex death or speed metal, as the drivers aren't the fastest, but for rock and heavy music like Pantera, Metallica, or Korn, they can really shine!

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #44,279 of 100,579
An unnamed 2+1 beta earphone in generic housings arrived directly from the infamous Tanchjim Oxygen/Blon BL-03 tuner [correction: from his team] for comments and improvement suggestions. A bit less mid-bass and less upper midrange, the lower mids are already ok...this will be another good one. Good dynamics and air already. I first used this after 2 hours with a $1300 loaner and it fared well.

I name such betas "elf king" in direct translation of Erlkönig, a moniker for German car prototypes that are kept entirely black...and secret.

IMG_8285.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #44,280 of 100,579

7mr7oLd2t1gFZf946
The Blon are absolutely no basshead earphone. The bass is fairly accurate in its dynamics and the whole tonality is incredibly accurate. The Crescents are way less detailed and bassier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back