The discovery thread!
Jul 31, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #43,096 of 100,489
So true - I have heard details in music I have NEVER heard before. Considering Im on around my 150th pair of earphones . . . that is quite some achievement!
and yet, the highs Im not finding a problem.
Its possible though that for those with 'young ears' listening to modern, hotly compressed music with a bright player may find them a tad too much ?

In terms of balance though, I do sometimes hear the slightly plasticy ceramic aspect of the highs - you can kinda hear the ceramic BUT it is very subtle and I very much expect
this to dissapear with more time and it is only with the occasional song.

Anyway, very much looking forward to hearing other peoples impressions :)
it needs bass boost, the woofer can take it, it is very fast and clean sounding bass but not enough in stock form, the treble is taking over if not boosted

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #43,097 of 100,489
Can someone test the Nx7 with a phone? Thats my only source for now, and i dont know if i should buy it or not

With iPhone 6 - 50% volume was enough. More than 65% was too loud. In that senses it was fine - It was clear though a better / dedicated DAP improves the sound a LOT

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #43,098 of 100,489
Seems you guys are now understanding what I have been writing about here. Good to see folks getting their NX7.

NX7s does like a bit of juice and sound more coherent to me with a bit more power than your garden variety phone but a phone can drive them easily. I mentioned it before but try to use them in balanced mode if you are able to and it will surprise you just how capable the NX7 is.

What you guys are hearing is a tuning that is not common on a sub $100 phone. I showed that graph of the CA solaris which is a $1500 phone. And yes the sound signature and balancing has some similarities. Enjoy them NX7s. Happy listening fellas. More impressions!

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #43,100 of 100,489
How do these fare against the iBasso IT01?

One immediate impression is how the bass is much more balanced with the NX7. In fact the way the frequencies all relate to each other is more linear and controlled than the IT01. Even though the details over all are clearer and cleaner the NX7 [in comparison] sounds more 'Audiophile' where as the IT01 sounds more 'HiFi'-
Bass on the IT01 is much rounder, warmer and fun. The both quite different sounding
(I have an award winning Mastering Engineer visiting at the moment - He commented the low end of the NX7 was very good - tight - He was impressed, especially with the price)
I like both NX7 and the IT01 but Its looking like the NX7 is more mature, more impressively tuned IEM at the moment. Bear in mind, due to their individual characteristics, synergy will play a part in how each of the IEMs sound. Both excellent though
(Both with compared using Spiral Dot tips + iBasso DX90 DAP) - ((The NX7 behaves quite differently with my iBasso DX150!))

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #43,101 of 100,489
So true - I have heard details in music I have NEVER heard before. Considering Im on around my 150th pair of earphones . . . that is quite some achievement!
and yet, the highs Im not finding a problem.
Its possible though that for those with 'young ears' listening to modern, hotly compressed music with a bright player may find them a tad too much ?

In terms of balance though, I do sometimes hear the slightly plasticy ceramic aspect of the highs - you can kinda hear the ceramic BUT it is very subtle and I very much expect
this to dissapear with more time and it is only with the occasional song.

Anyway, very much looking forward to hearing other peoples impressions :)
They definitely are a landmark set that make it worth rediscovering FLAC collections- all the electronics tracks I listened to this afternoon sound totally different.
Currently listening to Gwenno’s first album Y Dydd Olaf...which is laden with interesting micro sounds that magically buzz around the 3D stage, coupled with her ethereal voice! I agree that you can perceive a “plasticy ceramic aspect of the highs”...but this however doesn’t detract from the overall gorgeous signature - kinda gobsmacked!

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #43,102 of 100,489
also the fit is surprisingly good, they are smaller than i thought

IMG_20190731_215626.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #43,103 of 100,489
@peter123 got a question about lz a6 .. how piercing are the lz a6 treble .. do you think this iems can handle bad mastered tracks? if I use the filters.. and do you know if they are interchangable with other filters like bgvp dmg and semkarch lz semkarch cnt1?

and lastly do you know how big the soundstage is if you compare with lz a4 and your other iems maybe in the same price bracket or higher?

btw does anyone if the filters of lz a5 and lz a6 are interchangable?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #43,104 of 100,489

I'm not that young but I can hear up to 17kHz... the NX7 works really well with most of my music with most ear tips except when I listen to a number of tracks from bands like The Glitch Mob, Bassnectar, Flying Lotus, Trifonic - music with extentensive amounts of synthesized treble as an integral part of the song (I wouldn't call these tracks as lacking in dynamic range, i.e. "compressed"). I'll continue experimenting with ear tips, and I still need to do some frequency sweeps, and I'll share more info when I have it. I'll also do some comparisons with one of my favorite over-ear headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B, which has some of the most clearly defined highs and tight, controlled lows I've heard.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #43,105 of 100,489
I'm not that young but I can hear up to 17kHz... the NX7 works really well with most of my music with most ear tips except when I listen to a number of tracks from bands like The Glitch Mob, Bassnectar, Flying Lotus, Trifonic - music with extentensive amounts of synthesized treble as an integral part of the song (I wouldn't call these tracks as lacking in dynamic range, i.e. "compressed"). I'll continue experimenting with ear tips, and I still need to do some frequency sweeps, and I'll share more info when I have it. I'll also do some comparisons with one of my favorite over-ear headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B, which has some of the most clearly defined highs and tight, controlled lows I've heard.
Just auditioning this soundtrack with NX7’s:

It now sounds completely mind-blowing....incredibly visceral - as one comment states “it goes into the bones.” Sublime atmospheres build up coupled with uber authentic instrumentation!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #43,106 of 100,489
Lot of NX7 hype going on.... any FR graphs?
here is a better graph, we all know that Otto rig is dipping a little bit more than it should
that is a raw file, compensated will be close to neutral but a little bit uneven because of the dips and peaks
NiceHCK-NX7.png
NiceHCK_NX7_vs_Moondrop_Kanas_Pro.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #43,107 of 100,489
Is the NX7 discount available for long? I want to keep my finger on it. The only competing temptation would be planars but I would prefer to remain indecisive for as long as possitble :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #43,108 of 100,489
here is a better graph, we all know that Otto rig is dipping a little bit more than it should
that is a raw file, compensated will be close to neutral but a little bit uneven because of the dips and peaks

Thanks. If graphs would be set @1kHz ...I think I would stay with KPE. Not that NX7 looks bad. I`m sure it is quite special due to driver configuration.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #43,109 of 100,489
Thanks for correcting me.....I haven’t really followed LZ’s progress since LZ A4.
With a price tag of $310 for the LZ A6’s ...it’s probably just as well!

No problem, fwiw I only paid $220 for my pair on the last sale so it looks as if the price is going down on them. Definitely a extremely good value for in my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back