The discovery thread!
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #43,126 of 100,674
stupid question.
assuming the graphs are the same, will you listen the same? objectively it should be

If your asking if the tuning is similar would they sound the same. Well you have to take factors like stage, isolation, depth, resolution and drive ability to account. More importantly Solaris is more refined in just about every way. It cost the way it does for a reason.

NX7 looses out on all the factors mentioned above but sound signature wise there are some similarities and that is really about it. NX7 is more closer to a reference tuned earphone a bit like how the IT04 is tuned minus the stage.
If the NX7 had a more refined treble and had the stage of the IT04. That would truly be spectacular. You never know what NiceHCK is gonna do with their next concoction of hybrids. They are learning and advancing and that is only a good thing. NX7 is a step in the right direction.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #43,127 of 100,674
stupid question.
assuming the graphs are the same, will you listen the same? objectively it should be
No! Graphs only indicate quantity of sound, not quality. Both are not directly related. Exception: single DDs with similar FR responses may sound similar. More here.

g44pFZQ.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #43,128 of 100,674
No! Graphs only indicate quantity of sound, not quality.

Not all graphs are created equal. I've grown to really appreciate the square wave graphs, which you'll find in the Innerfidelity reviews and now Reference Audio Analyzer sites. Tyll Hertsens summed it up well here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response

"The bugaboo about measurements is that if you test for information in one domain to make it perfectly clear, the information in the other domains disappear from view. You can't see time information in the frequency response plot, but it's there and you can calculate it. And you can't see frequency response in the impulse response, but again, it's there. The cool thing about step and square wave response is that you get a nice, albeit hazy and sometimes difficult to interpret, mix of both time and frequency information that, for me, feels a bit more naturally accessible and rich."

Is there some technical reason why folks who test headphones and post frequency response graphs here at head-fi don't do the square wave tests?

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #43,129 of 100,674
After doing some listens to frequency sweeps, I think it's the 7.5kHz and 12khz peaks that make some music a bit harsh on the NX7... for instance, take a listen to the track "Vipers Follow You" from Amon Tobin:

Immensely boring song, which the MD Crescents handled with ease, with no adverse peaks. Listened to this track with the IE40, known for being a bit bright, and it didn't come off as peaky either. I thought it helped show off the resolution. Maybe I got old ears? Do younger ears mistake resolution and timbre for peakiness or brightness? I dunno? For me, even the IE800 played these with clear resolution. The percussion was pretty cool. So if the NX7 plays this track with the same hi resolution aplomb, then i'll be very happy with them.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #43,131 of 100,674
I listened to the NX7’s all day today and the tremble didn't bother me at all.
Hot tremble normally tires me out.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #43,133 of 100,674
I'll post my impressions here once I get them, and have had some time to spend with them. I'm stoked because I've never owned anything with a piezo tweeter before, so I'm interested to hear how well this combines with the BA'S and dual dynamic. According to the latest info, they have cleared customs. With any luck, they will be with me by the end of this week.
Got an update today. They were released to Canada Post today, and info says expected delivery date is between Aug. 12 and Aug. 22. Based on previous experiences in the past 3 months with Aliexpress shipments, I'm guessing about the 8th or 9th. Using Aliexpress Standard Shipping with all my orders, it's usually only taken about 1.5-2 weeks total to get my stuff all the way from China. I think that's really good for all the money I save by getting it from Aliexpress compared to Amazon (especially since most of the time, Amazon doesn't even have what I want available).

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #43,135 of 100,674
Treble is different. I have learned to accept it. I am almost done writing my review on them which I go into detail how I feel the sound is tuned like. I think guys that own higher end earphones will most definitely recognize the tuning here. It is unexpected to have a tuning done like this on a sub $100 phone.

The Piezoelectric ceramic tweeter can pick off upper treble with ease on this thing and while some may look at it as a possible peak or something that is not normal. I suppose that is actually a correct way to look at it.. This upper treble detail is really not normal. Especially on something so cheap.

I will be the first to say there are flaws in the sound but the positives outweigh the negatives and actually has a unique sounds due to the flaws. The tuning again is more closer to a reference type tuning reserved for crazy expensive earphones but on a $65 earphone. Who would have thought this type of sound and precision was possible for so cheap. Lol.

These will be a popular seller for NiceHCK and that will clearly show them where to focus their attention on.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #43,136 of 100,674
Immensely boring song, which the MD Crescents handled with ease, with no adverse peaks. Listened to this track with the IE40, known for being a bit bright, and it didn't come off as peaky either. I thought it helped show off the resolution. Maybe I got old ears? Do younger ears mistake resolution and timbre for peakiness or brightness? I dunno? For me, even the IE800 played these with clear resolution. The percussion was pretty cool. So if the NX7 plays this track with the same hi resolution aplomb, then i'll be very happy with them.

Boring, eh? How about some Einstürzende Neubauten - "Die Interimsliebenden" from Tabula Rasa:

The metal on metal percussion starting at 5:47 is a decent treble test, though I think it's less than ideal in the lossless Youtube stream (I'd recommend a lossless version like the CD, especially for high frequency things like this - Youtube videos can be a bit frustrating, i.e. I can hear the compression artifacts and rolloff, especially with the NX7).

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #43,137 of 100,674
Boring, eh? How about some Einstürzende Neubauten - "Die Interimsliebenden" from Tabula Rasa:

The metal on metal percussion starting at 5:47 is a decent treble test, though I think it's less than ideal in the lossless Youtube stream (I'd recommend a lossless version like the CD, especially for high frequency things like this - Youtube videos can be a bit frustrating, i.e. I can hear the compression artifacts and rolloff, especially with the NX7).

Now this was a really sweet listen with the IE40. Detailed percussion and bass. Reminded me of Falco with some World elements.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #43,138 of 100,674
Just an aside on Einstürzende Neubauten, saw them live back in the 80's at New York's Cat Club. In one of the most bizarre opening acts for what at the time was considered an Industrial band, the Cat Club dancers came out and gave us one of those female line performances, complete with synchronous high leg kicking, worthy of Radio City Music Hall. Then Einstürzende Neubauten came on.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #43,139 of 100,674

never heard of this band called (collapsing new buildings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back