The discovery thread!
Oct 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #14,958 of 106,632
Well. The way I see it. As many new earphones come out I suppose all of us will support great product and there will be many, many more. Who knows maybe soon. The performance level of earphones will be so great for the cost that it might not be worth spending more than a $100 for something truly high end.

I hope to see that one day and it very well could be a possibility.  My best advice is. There will be so many great new phones that we will uncover on this thread. You have to pick n choose what will suit you best which ones you can afford.

For me I wish I could afford a Cardas and some of the stupid higher end universals that seem to be popular at headfi but phones that cost 1K plus are not even thinkable. I am glad at least we discover the best money can buy at the absolute best value possible here and that is very important to me on a personal level.

Listening to this tune with my MA750 with a smile on my face.

What a great post, man. Your thread is the reason I joined Head-Fi. You know, before this I was using cheap old Sony Ericsson ear buds which had been used so much, the sound was only coming out from one channel, lol. Then on the off chance, I found your thread via a Google search and the rest is history.

I won't pretend and say I'm that knowledgeable about this stuff, but I love my music and good earphones enhances the experience for me, and it's these recommendations that have helped me find that extra enjoyment as the ones I have bought so far have all sounded great to my ears, each time I've upgraded in sound I get that little extra enjoyment out of my music so thanks to all you guys but especially you, Dsnuts!

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #14,959 of 106,632

What a surprise, newer is very often better in the hype club.

Ehhh what are you talking about meng??? The ATH CKS1Ks has been released since a year ago and Ds as well as many others, me included still hold them to high regards.

The "newer" S2/ MA750/ M200, etc, etc doesn't seem to even best them. You need to seriously READ the impressions carefully cuz they ALL have different sound siggys that carter to people that prefer different types of emphasis in sonic presentation.

I have the Vsonic gr07 BEs which you might consider as kinda "old", but do my "new" M200 best them, hell no. They are more like a great sounding side grade that has a completely different style of music rendition which is just as enjoyable.

New tech/ iems is not necessarily worse or better than oldies and vice versa, BUT since with most technological innovation newer/ improved stuff tends to be often better than the old ones due to it's rapid advancements from year to year, month to month and sometime even day to day. That's the nature of technology and that's what makes it great and fun meng, cuz it's never stagnant.

If you can't take the heat/hype then get the heck outta' the kitchen. No need to even waste your time commenting, tbh.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #14,960 of 106,632
Lol, the troll suggests I stop commenting? I certainly do spend time reading all the posts here, probably more than I should. I know there are phones that stand the test of (some) time - for one of them still to be mentioned a year later can be considered an achievement. But unless you're totally blind, you'll see how strong the effect of the 'new toy' syndrome is in this thread. Here today, gone tomorrow - even ericp, who's contributed many a valuable insight, has proved rather fickle in proclaiming a new favourite every month, not to mention saying 'I'm done with new acquisitions' and carrying on the spree not long afterwards. The reason it sometimes annoys me is that a lot of people are easily influenced by what is posted here, especially if it's by someone with a lot of posts (regardless what's actually in those posts...), and for them a recommendation from someone they respect here can easily be enough to spend $200. Of course it's always a gamble buying things you haven't tried out, and most of my own gambles have paid off, but I think a bit more self-awareness would be beneficial as a counterpoint to the spiral of consumerist addiction being fuelled. You get it everywhere in society: newer is better. There are exceptions, but they remain exceptions. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #14,961 of 106,632
  Lol, the troll suggests I stop commenting? I certainly do spend time reading all the posts here, probably more than I should. I know there are phones that stand the test of (some) time - for one of them still to be mentioned a year later can be considered an achievement. But unless you're totally blind, you'll see how strong the effect of the 'new toy' syndrome is in this thread. Here today, gone tomorrow - even ericp, who's contributed many a valuable insight, has proved rather fickle in proclaiming a new favourite every month, not to mention saying 'I'm done with new acquisitions' and carrying on the spree not long afterwards. The reason it sometimes annoys me is that a lot of people are easily influenced by what is posted here, especially if it's by someone with a lot of posts (regardless what's actually in those posts...), and for them a recommendation from someone they respect here can easily be enough to spend $200. Of course it's always a gamble buying things you haven't tried out, and most of my own gambles have paid off, but I think a bit more self-awareness would be beneficial as a counterpoint to the spiral of consumerist addiction being fuelled. You get it everywhere in society: newer is better. There are exceptions, but they remain exceptions. 

^ Ehhh i was able to troll your @ss to reply didn't i???
rolleyes.gif

Why bother reading this thread and waste your time commenting if you didn't think the Discovery Thread is a valuable resource in the 1st place huh??? Yes the "new toy" syndrome is extremely prevalent and FOTM is often posted about. That is sadly the reality of this hobby cuz if no one tried the new gears how would you know if it's any good??? So instead of being a smart @ss and is always crying about how Dsnuts is such as hype man blah blah blah in other threads, you as well as ALL of us owe him and many others that are selfless enough to spend their hard earned money to try out new/ unknown gears and EVER SO generously give us impressions and feedback on them.

By doing this they are are truly the contributors/ valuable resource of this community. So let me ask you what has you contributed so far huh??? Even my troll @ss has written numerous comparos/ impressions that had help many others. But you seem to be just a leecher that goes around bad mouthing people behind their backs and don't even have the b@lls to tell them in person.  

In fact this Discovery Thread is a microcosm of head-fi in that there are TONS of new gears posted about and "hyped", so it's up to the individual to do their own research and make informed decisions that best matched their needs. If you are stupid enough to go out and buy ALL the "hyped" gears here (this thread as well as all of head-fi) then you are one gullible sucka' and deserves to be misled. And LoL regarding your canned typical greenie liberal "consumerist addiction" mumble jumble.  Save it and go preach in some stupid global warming/ tree hugger forum or something cuz THIS IS HEAD- FI where GEARS RULEZ!!! DURRR!!! Again no one is telling you to buy anything and if you are so weak willed you need to unsub from not just his thread but from Head-fi as well, in fact unsub from the inter-web cuz someone somewhere is always trying to sell you some ish fool!!! WELCOME TO CAPITALISM!!!
deadhorse.gif

Oh and i think patrick got some coconut audio cables/gears to sell to you that will rock your world. LMAO This guy.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #14,964 of 106,632
Okay, so back to the comparison to the S2 and 750i. Yes, the DK-1K is the clear winner in sound! The sound is spacious in a fuller more forward way than the S2 or 750i (or H-200). It's improving quickly with burn-in. Now, I only wish I could hear the K3003 to see if they sound anything alike. I will probably go to a high-end audio store in the city and take an audition soon. The DK50 and DN-1K really complement each other. I'll probably compare all three with the X3 tomorrow. 

Great impressions Ericp! Thanks for taking the time.
Is the DN 1K better in terms of detail and separation against the S2 and MA750? if it is I may have to skip the last two and get the DUNU so I can also compare it with my H200.

I'm also excited for the H3 so most likely I'll end up collecting hybrids... Already sold most of my other gear.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #14,965 of 106,632
quartertone I get what you are saying and I agree with the points you've made. I believe this forum exists because there is so much variety and choice, especially nowadays for IEMs, and people will naturally have preferences that change as new products arrive. I for one like the way ericp10 ranks his preferences and understand they change as new IEMs are released. I think the "new toy" syndrome portrayed by owners is natural and while some might be more muted, others are very enthusiastic, as you pointed out. We can't change how people wish to describe headphones as they receive them, but I think the point of this forum is to provide a platform of discussion for headphones. I am thankful for the people who contribute their thoughts and engage in discussion on headphones as it helps others. How it helps, or doesn't help, is dependent on one's ability to interpret the opinions given.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #14,967 of 106,632
I guess I need a refill on some popcorns
biggrin.gif

I kinda have to agree with Master Troll in this subject, new toy syndrome and the hype train is what keeps this thread going, almost all of the amazing unknown iems here discovered where product of this engine.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #14,969 of 106,632
It's amazing how much new stuff out there, not in the kilobuck range, is really good sounding these days. I was kidding with my previous post, think it's great. I continue to watch the Deals and iem Deals threads for good buys, get a kick out of it...currently, the Atrio X MG5 was on sale at Tiger Direct for $20 (sold out fast, but may come back), which I haven't listened to for a while, but I recall being good iems and sold for around $100 (supposed to be going out of production-good time to snag a deal). Along the same lines, the Westone 4R, also being discontinued according to some threads, was seen $299 new, and about $250 Amazon warehouse. Also seen Monster Bronze in the $180 range Amazon Warehouse. Of course, the Gratitudes are a real buy-listened last night, really nice. I think they detail as well as the S2-the S2 beats them in openness, silence/space between instruments, ease of presentation.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #14,970 of 106,632
  quartertone I get what you are saying and I agree with the points you've made. I believe this forum exists because there is so much variety and choice, especially nowadays for IEMs, and people will naturally have preferences that change as new products arrive. I for one like the way ericp10 ranks his preferences and understand they change as new IEMs are released. I think the "new toy" syndrome portrayed by owners is natural and while some might be more muted, others are very enthusiastic, as you pointed out. We can't change how people wish to describe headphones as they receive them, but I think the point of this forum is to provide a platform of discussion for headphones. I am thankful for the people who contribute their thoughts and engage in discussion on headphones as it helps others. How it helps, or doesn't help, is dependent on one's ability to interpret the opinions given.

First, thank you fellas who like my "first impressions" of items that have come in. I can't really argue against those who think my excitement for iems is "new toys" syndrome. Perhaps it is, but I really don't think so. I think it's just a matter of companies trying to one up the other in today's market with more value on higher technology products. And I think I just call it how I hear it. For example, the MA750i is an outstanding earphone and it's newer than the KEF M200, but I stated a few posts back that the M200 is still technically superior to my ears. I love the M500 and Onkyo headphones, but I think the older X1 is technically superior than both (well, the M500 is very close technically, but it's a whole different sound sound signature so it is like apples and oranges in a way). To be honest, I wasn't expecting the DN-1K to sound better than the H-200 (a side-grade at best), so I was pleasantly surprised.

Great impressions Ericp! Thanks for taking the time.
Is the DN 1K better in terms of detail and separation against the S2 and MA750? if it is I may have to skip the last two and get the DUNU so I can also compare it with my H200.

I'm also excited for the H3 so most likely I'll end up collecting hybrids... Already sold most of my other gear.

Yes, the DN-1K has greater imaging and instrument separation than the S2 and MA750. It's a more spacious sound, and actually the soundstage may be just as wide as the S2 (if not wider). I didn't think this at first because the DN-1K's signature is so much fuller top to bottom, and more forward than the other two earphones. But listening to Sade on the X3 this morning, the soundstage was pretty wide and reaching seemingly outer head with some of the percussion instruments (which I hear better with the DN-1K than I do with the 750i and S2). I must say that hybrids are generally my favorite earphone configurations nowadays.
  well done Eric! really enjoyed the reading.

should have my 1K pair soon, and it's the international/re-vision. 

btw, did you find that low 10ohm imp picky?

Great Zelda, I can't wait to read how you hear the international/re-vision. I'm not unhappy with this version at all, but I'm not totally convinced it's not the revision since the highs aren't too sharp to my ears. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I the revision is different, I  am pretty sure I won't seek that version out. I'm happy with the sound here. And the 10 ohms is fine, but only tried the earphone with my X3 and DK50. I haven't tried with the iPods yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back