The discovery thread!
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #97,996 of 99,904
Would that give an impression of 'recessed'?

I have a few IEMs that have vocals buried underneath the bass. That to me is recessed.

It’s a confusing topic, tbh. For example, someone said midrange of Gaea “recessed” but its vocals are right up, and shouting to my face. And then I realised by recessed, they mean the lower midrange “warmth” is not there, so the midrange is “recessed and shouty”

But that’s not all the confusion. Someone told me Andromeda 2020 is recessed because its upper midrange is not as forward comparing to its lower midrange.

That’s why I hate the term “recessed” and “bass bleed” 😂

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #97,997 of 99,904
Thanks for taking time to elaborate, mate!
Maybe you need more across 500Hz all the way to the slope up to 2kHz?

Have you got Canon2 or you have only listened to the sound demo by Dan?
I think vocals need good energy from about 700 Hz up through about 3k. The timbre is probably defined by 2k - 3k. However, it has to be more complicated than that... really everything affects everything. If you look at FR graphs of Hype2 and Cannon 2, Hype2 *should* have more forward vocals, but it is just the opposite. I have no idea why.

And yes, I have both. I used those clips to help me choose which IEM to try out, and sell whichever I liked less.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #97,998 of 99,904
I have a few IEMs that have vocals buried underneath the bass. That to me is recessed.

It’s a confusing topic, tbh. For example, someone said midrange of Gaea “recessed” but its vocals are right up, and shouting to my face. And then I realised by recessed, they mean the lower midrange “warmth” is not there, so the midrange is “recessed and shouty”

But that’s not all the confusion. Someone told me Andromeda 2020 is recessed because its upper midrange is not as forward comparing to its lower midrange.

That’s why I hate the term “recessed” and “bass bleed” 😂
Agree. For me recessed, is not forward, recessed, hidden behind bass.
yeah confusing.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #97,999 of 99,904
My favorite IEM. If only the fit were better, I'd probably never take them off. Only IEM in my collection that can match or exceed the CCA Trio in stage, imagingm spacing, and transparency while delivering a much more fulfilling bass and mids experience.
My god, you love that Trio!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #98,000 of 99,904
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #98,001 of 99,904
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #98,003 of 99,904
I'm buying me a trio. I mean KZ can't disappoint me 5 times in a row, am I right?
The amount of trust that you have. This is called love my dear friend haha.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #98,004 of 99,904
After about 20 days at the customs, and about 7 days in travelling, NiceHCK Himalaya has landed!! After listening to the F1 Pro from NiceHCK i was excited alot. And the wait has been fruitful, just spent an hour yet with the set, but it sounds deliciously bassy, and has outstanding clarity as well. It has a lively and immersing sound which is quite interesting. Can't wait to listen more!!

1711616127839.png

1711616146243.png

1711616163829.png

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #98,005 of 99,904
Oh thanks, you're really trying your best to make me regret me parting ways with the NP just recently, huh ... this decision might come back to bite me, but we'll see. Enjoy, it's a fabulous set, no question there.

Fantastic stuff, congrats! I've just started reviewing too and it takes a ridiculous amount of time, but feels so therapeutic at the same time. Weird.

Congrats on starting reviews Nik, hope it goes well.

I look forward to reading your content as I get a sense we have similar tastes.

Hopefully your natural style is something like Leonard’s. That is I feel like he is just describing his own gear not stuff “provided in exchange for an honest opinion” if you get my meaning.

If you start talking about new rhodium plated 4.4mm swappable terminations significantly increasing soundstage you will have lost at least one reader 😂😂

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #98,006 of 99,904
Congrats on starting reviews Nik, hope it goes well.

I look forward to reading your content as I get a sense we have similar tastes.

Hopefully your natural style is something like Leonard’s. That is I feel like he is just describing his own gear not stuff “provided in exchange for an honest opinion” if you get my meaning.

If you start talking about new rhodium plated 4.4mm swappable terminations significantly increasing soundstage you will have lost at least one reader 😂😂
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. Two of my reviews are already live, please check them out and tell me what you think. All feedback is welcomed!

Next one is definitely about the new purple coloured plugs which enhance all albums that have purple in their covers!

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #98,007 of 99,904
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. Two of my reviews are already live, please check them out and tell me what you think. All feedback is welcomed!

Next one is definitely about the new purple coloured plugs which enhance all albums that have purple in their covers!

Could you link your reviews please Nik ?

Sorry ……

I recall scanning your one with comments on the Ascension which helped tip me over the edge but I can’t recall where it was located .

Much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #98,008 of 99,904
After about 20 days at the customs, and about 7 days in travelling, NiceHCK Himalaya has landed!! After listening to the F1 Pro from NiceHCK i was excited alot. And the wait has been fruitful, just spent an hour yet with the set, but it sounds deliciously bassy, and has outstanding clarity as well. It has a lively and immersing sound which is quite interesting. Can't wait to listen more!!

1711616127839.png
1711616146243.png
1711616163829.png
man, the level of craftsmanship and the sound. Fit needs a bit tip-rolling for me as the stock tips are not properly isolating for me with the set. But the overall sound and the solid build speaks for itself. I might sound exaggerating but i guess if some mainstream famous Audio brand gives such craftsmanship and sound, they could ask two to three times the cost of the Himalaya lol.

Another image of me enjoying the Himalaya in my ears.
1711621902412.png

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #98,009 of 99,904
Wanted to mention this in particular earlier in the day but wanted to hear it one more time before i posted.

https://songwhip.com/gustav-holst/holst-the-planets1987

Trio plays this really well. The spacing, distinction, placement and allotment of real estate to each soloists without any congestion is quite something.

To quote @Nimweth 's review

"Charles Dutoit's series of recordings with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra on Decca is legendary and his version of Holst's "Planets Suite" is a fine example. Throughout the piece, the atmosphere at St Eustache, Montreal was conveyed authentically and the locations of the various orchestral sections were accurately delineated. The front to back perspective was particularly well realised and the interplay of the woodwind and strings was in perfect balance. The varying timbres of the different instruments as they successively shared the melody were clearly differentiated and the impression of each soloist occupying their own space was another outstanding feature."

1000061116.jpg
If you enjoy The Planets, I can recommend three other excellent versions. Adrian Boult with the LPO (1979), Herbert von Karajan on Decca with the VPO and Andre Previn's superb recording with the LSO on EMI.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #98,010 of 99,904
Thanks for taking time to elaborate, mate!

I’m still don’t get how you can find P5 and Hype2 recessed when both follow academic target and pushes upper mid forward 😂 but that’s not a criticism of you, but more like my curiosity about the concept of “recessed mid”.

Maybe you need more across 500Hz all the way to the slope up to 2kHz?

Have you got Canon2 or you have only listened to the sound demo by Dan?

Just for fun, you should try Hiby Yvain one day if you have a chance. Most of my circle complains that its midrange is too forward.

Anyhow, it would be safer for you if you don’t buy stuffs based on what I hear, since we seem to hear very differently
Could depend on the rest of the chain. I just learned the JDS Atom+ has poor soundstage/imaging: it crushes the staging to a narrow, very deep staging. That would sound recessed to anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back