The discovery thread!
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #97,981 of 99,922
Two graphs (3.5mm cable & USB cable) for the upcoming Moondrop Dusk 2 have been posted on Squiglink by Super*Review. Looks pretty good to me! :ksc75smile:

https://squig.link/?share=Harman_Ad...22_Target,Moondrop_Dusk_2,Moondrop_Dusk_2_USB

Normalized at 1000Hz
graph-2.png

Normalized at 300Hz
graph-1.png

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #97,982 of 99,922
I`m in for the MoonGod or DualGod too.
But you can find them for a better price on Hifigo. Most of the mid-higher priced NiceHck cables have a better price.

No need to panic with ”AE-Sale” 😉
Not always... Hifigo’s list of offerings is quite limited, comparing to AE. But yes, in general there’s better pricing on Hifigo.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #97,983 of 99,922
thanks everyone for the replies re: Hype2 bass and mids. There were two primary suggestions:

1) tip roll: I should have mentioned this. I tried on the Hype2 the supplied tips. Then, I ordered and have tried Tri Clarion, Spinfit W1, Final Audio E type, Penon Liqueur Orange, Med and Wide tips supplied with Olina SE, Med and Wide tips supplied with Simgot MT3, BGVP A07, and a wide bore sold by Radio Shack 3 years ago. Turns out the Thieaudio's supplied tips are A07, so that was redundant. I ended up with the Tri Clarion. I don't mind the supplied A07, but for my ear the Tri Clarions actually fit more comfortably. Unfortunately they didn't seem to reduce bass any.

** edit ** I tried one more time with all the tips mentioned above now that my Canon 2 is on the way. I intend to keep the one I like better and sell the other. . and well, what do you know, the Penon Liqueur Orange tips did the trick. Bass is reduced somewhat, and everything sounds right to me. With one exception... I have 2k eq up 2db. That is simply a personal preference, as I like vocals to be clear and forward in the mix.

2) get a dongle. This is more complicated. I've gone down the road of DAC, amp, and DAP 15 years ago, and it seemed like a never ending sinkhole of iterations and distractions. So I determined two years ago when I got into IEM and away from my HD600 (which I found bass shy even through an amp) to find the best sound to my ear from a more basic setup... Apple DAC, period. I would think differently if three different reviewers I respect, including Crinacle, had not all said the Apple DAC, whether dongle or in the MB Air, is accurate, low noise, and just plain fine for almost all IEMs ... unless i have high rez music. Which I don't. I have Spotify premium.

So, thanks everyone for the suggestions. It was a brief moment of irrational thinking that in my basic environment, a cable could be used as a tone control. Wishful thinking. I am quite open to placebo, but eventually scientific thinking takes over in me and I realize that no, I'd rather not live in a world governed by fanciful, undisciplined thinking.

PS: I have ordered two cables for aesthetic reasons -- I find the cables that came with my Olina OG and Olina SE to be hard, wiry, tangly and irritating. I ordered with the help of a very nice gentleman on this Forum, via several private chats, a SilverCat, and a FirstTouch both from NICEhck.

I'm very curious which I will prefer between these Hype2 with the tips that work for me now, and the Canon 2. Canon 2 already has more forward and clear mids without needing to EQ based on several A/B sound clips I've heard. So it will be interesting.
I've had the Canon 2 for about 10 hours in ears, and just now went back to the Hype2 to make sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing...

Yep, Canon 2 crushes Hype2. But not where you might think... not in the bass. Both basses are fine, though I slightly prefer the bass texture of the Canon 2 and it is a big value add to adjust bass about 3-4db using the switches. Hype2 better at around 30-40Hz, but that's about it. Where Canon 2 crushes Hype2 is in the mids, the vocals... such lush, full, weighty, forward, clear mids on the Canon 2, and then the Hype mids which are recessed, veiled, only OK. So disappointing the great mids of the Oracle -- that tuning -- has been abandoned by Thieaudio.

On the Canon 2, using switches 1up 1down, there is no midbass bleed into the vocals. Using 2up there is a little bleed, and if I were to run them 2up, I would EQ 2db back in at 2k.

There are those who think Canon 2 beats Hype 4, though in the minority. To me it's all about palpable, present, textured vocals, and Canon 2 just dominates there.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #97,984 of 99,922
I've had the Canon 2 for about 10 hours in ears, and just now went back to the Hype2 to make sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing...

Yep, Canon 2 crushes Hype2. But not where you might think... not in the bass. Both basses are fine, though I slightly prefer the bass texture of the Canon 2 and it is a big value add to adjust bass about 3-4db using the switches. Hype2 better at around 30-40Hz, but that's about it. Where Canon 2 crushes Hype2 is in the mids, the vocals... such lush, full, weighty, forward, clear mids on the Canon 2, and then the Hype mids which are recessed, veiled, only OK. So disappointing the great mids of the Oracle -- that tuning -- has been abandoned by Thieaudio.

On the Canon 2, using switches 1up 1down, there is no midbass bleed into the vocals. Using 2up there is a little bleed, and if I were to run them 2up, I would EQ 2db back in at 2k.

There are those who think Canon 2 beats Hype 4, though in the minority. To me it's all about palpable, present, textured vocals, and Canon 2 just dominates there.
Can agree that Canon2 has more pleasing mid, but I don’t get how you explain Hype2 recessed 🤔 Could you elaborate further on this?

To me, It’s crystal clear and upper mid forward like all ThieAudio since Mk2.

Anyhow, my Hype2 has returned from the Aussie tour with no fanfare, and despite the best care of my friends, the glossy protective layer on the faceplates are falling off 😂 I’m reporting the problem to Linsoul/ThieAudio

Edit: so I pair the flimsy, short, wide ear tips from Singolo with Hype2 and have a test with my snowy night. The fit is so good. Ironic that the ear tips work so well with many other IEMs but not the one it came with. The stage gets narrower comparing to the stock long tips, but the depth and layering feel better. Or maybe it’s the dongle doing heavy lifting. Anyhow, now I want a real Monarch III

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #97,985 of 99,922
Fantastic stuff, congrats! I've just started reviewing too and it takes a ridiculous amount of time, but feels so therapeutic at the same time.
Thanks Nik! I'm very much looking forward to your reviews.

you deserve it!

lol right, i have like 3 reviews in half written states...
Appreciate the love! Get on those reviews so I can hype yours up.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #97,986 of 99,922
Holy crap! That's so cool! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Wow I feel very honored to have one of my reviews featured. Just screenshotted that so I'll never forget lol 🥹

Edit to add: I really want to thank everyone who has encouraged me, read my reviews, and given me feedback. I never saw myself doing reviews but I'm enjoying it more than I thought. You'll definitely see more from me in the near future (hopefully that's a good thing)
Now we wait for theslaya x TRN collab?! :wink: The TRN green Slaya!

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #97,987 of 99,922
New FIIO 10 BA IEM incoming!

The FA19

D9E31978-D0A8-454B-BFA6-B1CE701C5B82.jpeg

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #97,988 of 99,922
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #97,989 of 99,922
I'm guessing the inclusion of micro planars in the Dusk 2 is because the OG Dusk didn't have good treble extension which is something Crinacle talked about.

Might pre-order a set, I enjoyed the OG Dusk enough to give the sequel a chance.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #97,990 of 99,922
New FIIO 10 BA IEM incoming!

The FA19

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE FIIO FX15????

Kiddin, but I hope this 10 BA set is going to have a vented subwoofer, so at least the BA bass won't sound so unnatural compared to DD bass.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #97,991 of 99,922
Can agree that Canon2 has more pleasing mid, but I don’t get how you explain Hype2 recessed 🤔 Could you elaborate further on this?
well, for sure everyone has a unique hearing apparatus, but still let me flesh out what I meant by that comment.

First, i'm not the only one who has said that. I was watching a review by Tony (akros) and he said exactly the same thing -- Hype2 has recessed mids. Perhaps our ears are similar.

Let me tell you my points of reference, otherwise you won't know what my tastes are. My first over the ear headphone was the Sennheiser HD560. Then 580, then 600. That is what I always thought vocals should sound like... up front, clear, spacious. Forget about the weak bass, lack of treble sparkle. I was OK with that b/c mids and vocals are where most of music, and life, lives. When I put a stereo system together in 2002, I settled on a system that was vocal forward, which included speakers from Sonus Faber and a REL sub. I even had a Heart Audio cd player with a tube output in which I rolled about 5 different tubes and settled on Amperex Bugle Boy.... for the mids. And you know I love vocals if I'm willing to roll through a bunch of expensive NOS tubes. And that's not all I rolled through... at least 6 different speaker cables, about 8 differrent ICs, and four different power cables... till I got it JUST RIGHT. Just right for what? for vocals.

Now on to IEMs. After a lot of cheap stuff, I tried a bunch... first, CCA C12 and HifiMan RE400. Then the quest for better. Simgot MT3, Thieaudio Legacy 3, TFZ No. 3, 7 Hz Timeless, finally settled on Tripowin Olina SE. which is close to Tanchjim Oxygen. That kind of vocal to me is correct. Up front. Clean. maybe lacking some texture and sense of 3D, but not far off.

So, first attempt within my budget for a vocal forward, but more detailed IEM with more impactful bass and more treble presence than the Olina SE was the AFUL P5. Yuch. The vocals were at the back of the stage. Cymbals sounded like they jumped out into the audience. A veritable tuning mess. Timbre of the vocals was fine, but step forward please so I can hear you more clearly through the snare drum and high hat. sold those and bought Hype2. Better. Almost good. Still vocals nowhere near as present or appealing as with the Olina SE. Sure, tons of bass. Lots more treble. But vocals only mid stage, and a little veiled, a little husky... better than P5, not near where the Olina SE is.

Now, there is a channel on Youtube, Dan's Audio Reviews, where I did get to hear a lot of IEMs compared to each other on his rig. That's where I first noticed that Canon 2 has more forward vocals than Hype2. There is another completely unknown Youtube channel called Glenn Gane Audio, where again i, and you, can listen to clips with various iEMs, Hype2, Canon 2, EJ07M, Cadenza 12, MEST, Prestige Ltd. and Mk III, and about 30 others do A/B across 11 diffferent tracks. Even those who don't have Hype2 or Canon 2 will hear a clear difference in how vocals are presented.
Lastly, so you know my opinion isn't out on some idiosycratic limb, the reviewer down in Oz called Passion for Sound, reviewed the Hype2 and Canon 2 in the same week. I asked him about which had better vocals, and he was quite clear... the Canon 2.

All that to say, it isn't just my set of Hype2 and my set of Canon 2, or just my ears, that hear these two IEM that way. I tried lots of tips on the Hype2, trying to get the mids to step forward... Spinfit W1, Tri Clarion, Final E, BGVP A07, some wide bore I had from the Olina, some wide bore from a Simgot MT3 in my drawer, etc. Ultimately ran them on Penon Liqueur Orange. None of those tips made the Hype2 mids and vocals take their place in front of the band.

I can enjoy the Hype2 by increasing 2k by 2db, but it still isn't as present or textured as is my preference, as would remind me of my HD600s. The Canon 2 does that with no EQ anywhere. Pure, textured, holographic, great mids.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #97,992 of 99,922
well, for sure everyone has a unique hearing apparatus, but still let me flesh out what I meant by that comment.

First, i'm not the only one who has said that. I was watching a review by Tony (akros) and he said exactly the same thing -- Hype2 has recessed mids. Perhaps our ears are similar.

Let me tell you my points of reference, otherwise you won't know what my tastes are. My first over the ear headphone was the Sennheiser HD560. Then 580, then 600. That is what I always thought vocals should sound like... up front, clear, spacious. Forget about the weak bass, lack of treble sparkle. I was OK with that b/c mids and vocals are where most of music, and life, lives. When I put a stereo system together in 2002, I settled on a system that was vocal forward, which included speakers from Sonus Faber and a REL sub. I even had a Heart Audio cd player with a tube output in which I rolled about 5 different tubes and settled on Amperex Bugle Boy.... for the mids. And you know I love vocals if I'm willing to roll through a bunch of expensive NOS tubes. And that's not all I rolled through... at least 6 different speaker cables, about 8 differrent ICs, and four different power cables... till I got it JUST RIGHT. Just right for what? for vocals.

Now on to IEMs. After a lot of cheap stuff, I tried a bunch... first, CCA C12 and HifiMan RE400. Then the quest for better. Simgot MT3, Thieaudio Legacy 3, TFZ No. 3, 7 Hz Timeless, finally settled on Tripowin Olina SE. which is close to Tanchjim Oxygen. That kind of vocal to me is correct. Up front. Clean. maybe lacking some texture and sense of 3D, but not far off.

So, first attempt within my budget for a vocal forward, but more detailed IEM with more impactful bass and more treble presence than the Olina SE was the AFUL P5. Yuch. The vocals were at the back of the stage. Cymbals sounded like they jumped out into the audience. A veritable tuning mess. Timbre of the vocals was fine, but step forward please so I can hear you more clearly through the snare drum and high hat. sold those and bought Hype2. Better. Almost good. Still vocals nowhere near as present or appealing as with the Olina SE. Sure, tons of bass. Lots more treble. But vocals only mid stage, and a little veiled, a little husky... better than P5, not near where the Olina SE is.

Now, there is a channel on Youtube, Dan's Audio Reviews, where I did get to hear a lot of IEMs compared to each other on his rig. That's where I first noticed that Canon 2 has more forward vocals than Hype2. There is another completely unknown Youtube channel called Glenn Gane Audio, where again i, and you, can listen to clips with various iEMs, Hype2, Canon 2, EJ07M, Cadenza 12, MEST, Prestige Ltd. and Mk III, and about 30 others do A/B across 11 diffferent tracks. Even those who don't have Hype2 or Canon 2 will hear a clear difference in how vocals are presented. Lastly, so you know my opinion isn't out on some idiosycratic limb, the reviewer down in Oz called Passion for Sound, reviewed the Hype2 and Canon 2 in the same week. I asked him about which had better vocals, and he was quite clear... the Canon 2.

All that to say, it isn't just my set of Hype2 and my set of Canon 2, or just my ears, that hear these two IEM that way. I tried lots of tips on the Hype2, trying to get the mids to step forward... Spinfit W1, Tri Clarion, Final E, BGVP A07, some wide bore I had from the Olina, some wide bore from a Simgot MT3 in my drawer, etc. Ultimately ran them on Penon Liqueur Orange. None of those tips made the Hype2 mids and vocals take their place in front of the band.

I can enjoy the Hype2 by increasing 2k by 2db, but it still isn't as present or textured as is my preference, as would remind me of my HD600s. The Canon 2 does that with no EQ anywhere. Pure, textured, holographic, great mids.
So, mids I hear you say? Particularly vocals? AüR Audio Aure. This is the one. When I listen to these, I often refuse to believe the vocals I'm listening to are coming from this tiny little green thing. Discontinued, though, so off to Headfi Classifieds you go!

1000011942.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #97,993 of 99,922

Now, there is a channel on Youtube, Dan's Audio Reviews, where I did get to hear a lot of IEMs compared to each other on his rig. That's where I first noticed that Canon 2 has more forward vocals than Hype2. There is another completely unknown Youtube channel called Glenn Gane Audio, where again i, and you, can listen to clips with various iEMs, Hype2, Canon 2, EJ07M, Cadenza 12, MEST, Prestige Ltd. and Mk III, and about 30 others do A/B across 11 diffferent tracks. Even those who don't have Hype2 or Canon 2 will hear a clear difference in how vocals are presented.
Lastly, so you know my opinion isn't out on some idiosycratic limb, the reviewer down in Oz called Passion for Sound, reviewed the Hype2 and Canon 2 in the same week. I asked him about which had better vocals, and he was quite clear... the Canon 2.

Thanks for taking time to elaborate, mate!

I’m still don’t get how you can find P5 and Hype2 recessed when both follow academic target and pushes upper mid forward 😂 but that’s not a criticism of you, but more like my curiosity about the concept of “recessed mid”.

Maybe you need more across 500Hz all the way to the slope up to 2kHz?

Have you got Canon2 or you have only listened to the sound demo by Dan?

Just for fun, you should try Hiby Yvain one day if you have a chance. Most of my circle complains that its midrange is too forward.

Anyhow, it would be safer for you if you don’t buy stuffs based on what I hear, since we seem to hear very differently

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #97,994 of 99,922
Thanks for taking time to elaborate, mate!

I’m still don’t get how you can find P5 and Hype2 recessed when both follow academic target and pushes upper mid forward 😂 but that’s not a criticism of you, but more like my curiosity about the concept of “recessed mid”.

Maybe you need more across 500Hz all the way to the slope up to 2kHz?

Have you got Canon2 or you have only listened to the sound demo by Dan?

Just for fun, you should try Hiby Yvain one day if you have a chance. Most of my circle complains that its midrange is too forward.

Anyhow, it would be safer for you if you don’t buy stuffs based on what I hear, since we seem to hear very differently
Piqued , I YouTubed the iem and chose super review. He doesn't say recessed but does find mids weak, lacking texture, nuances.

Would that give an impression of 'recessed'?

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #97,995 of 99,922
So, mids I hear you say? Particularly vocals? AüR Audio Aure. This is the one. When I listen to these, I often refuse to believe the vocals I'm listening to are coming from this tiny little green thing. Discontinued, though, so off to Headfi Classifieds you go!

1000011942.jpg
My favorite IEM. If only the fit were better, I'd probably never take them off. Only IEM in my collection that can match or exceed the CCA Trio in stage, imagingm spacing, and transparency while delivering a much more fulfilling bass and mids experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back