The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #94,186 of 106,723
Are there any affordable options I'm missing for Bluetooth DAC/AMPs with a built-in 4.4mm connection which aren't the FiiO BTR devices? Not that I necessarily have a problem with those by any means, but it seems like that's pretty much all there is. I tried the ddHiFi TC44Pro as a direct dongle but it slaughtered my iPhone 12 mini's battery, so I probably need something I can use independently if I don't want to stick with the Apple dongle and an adapter. I'm on Apple Music, so even a DAP like the R3 II feels like a nonstarter (I'm aware it has some kind of BT mode, but my impression from a couple anecdotes is that it doesn't work perfectly).

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #94,187 of 106,723
Are there any affordable options I'm missing for Bluetooth DAC/AMPs with a built-in 4.4mm connection which aren't the FiiO BTR devices? Not that I necessarily have a problem with those by any means, but it seems like that's pretty much all there is. I tried the ddHiFi TC44Pro as a direct dongle but it slaughtered my iPhone 12 mini's battery, so I probably need something I can use independently if I don't want to stick with the Apple dongle and an adapter. I'm on Apple Music, so even a DAP like the R3 II feels like a nonstarter (I'm aware it has some kind of BT mode, but my impression from a couple anecdotes is that it doesn't work perfectly).
I really like the ifi go blu. It's surprisingly small, plenty of power, and it has 4.4mm output.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #94,188 of 106,723
Hiby M300 or Tempotec V3?

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #94,189 of 106,723
I really like the ifi go blu. It's surprisingly small, plenty of power, and it has 4.4mm output.

I'll look into it more as I generally neglect that one for some reason. I sometimes like having a display for things like volume, but that might be a tradeoff I need to make

I could also just suck it up and go back to a Qudelix 5k with the little ddHiFi adapter I have since they're cheap.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #94,190 of 106,723
Is this located in the inner ear? Maybe why I prefer iems to headphones since iems can get closer to the pleasure gland.
It's a very personal place. Nobody else can go there but you, it's the most personal place we know. It resides between attachment and aversion, between love and hate, it dies when you die. it keeps you going when life is crap. If you have goodness in your heart it follows you everywhere and maybe resurfaces again.....

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #94,191 of 106,723
I'll look into it more as I generally neglect that one for some reason. I sometimes like having a display for things like volume, but that might be a tradeoff I need to make

I could also just suck it up and go back to a Qudelix 5k with the little ddHiFi adapter I have since they're cheap.
Shanling H2

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #94,192 of 106,723
How about qudelix 5k? It has 2.5 balanced;so you would need an extra accoutrement yo attach your 4.4 to 2.5. but reviews rave about its Bluetooth ability and (p)EQ features.

@o0genesis0o wrote about how he used apple music via bluetooth from phone on his r3ii micro dap. Perhaps he can tell you about its sound quality efficacy and battery endurance on bluetooth.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #94,194 of 106,723
Shanling H2

I saw this one but it doesn't seem widely available yet, i.e. at Musicteck for example. Might be worth waiting for.

How about qudelix 5k? It has 2.5 balanced;so you would need an extra accoutrement yo attach your 4.4 to 2.5. but reviews rave about its Bluetooth ability and (p)EQ features.

@o0genesis0o wrote about how he used apple music via bluetooth from phone on his r3ii micro dap. Perhaps he can tell you about its sound quality efficacy and battery endurance on bluetooth.

I had one a long while back and it was pretty decent. I just figured I'd look at other options first.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #94,196 of 106,723
Tempotec doesn’t support Apple Music, does it? I think it supports Tidal but that doesn’t work great and requires you to login daily, I believe.
Good call.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #94,197 of 106,723
Tempotec doesn’t support Apple Music, does it? I think it supports Tidal but that doesn’t work great and requires you to login daily, I believe.
All true. The V3 is best for playing local files. It has a few tricks from the Hiby operating system, such as remote control from a mobile phone and pretty good sound shaping tools, but was clearly designed around the sound hardware. The V6 has the same audio hardware with a better-featured Android operating system. I’m not sure what version of Android the V6 runs, but I think it is lower than the M300’s Android 13.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #94,198 of 106,723
My partner gives me a hard time about buying gear and not reviewing it… then when I try to sit down and get thoughts together, demands all the attention lol.

Oh well at least she doesn’t get mad at me for ignoring her anymore!

Comparing the Sza and MP145 this week for separate reviews. Hopefully people at work leave me alone for a couple hours a day but I’m not holding my breath!

IMG_6503.jpeg

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #94,199 of 106,723
All true. The V3 is best for playing local files. It has a few tricks from the Hiby operating system, such as remote control from a mobile phone and pretty good sound shaping tools, but was clearly designed around the sound hardware. The V6 has the same audio hardware with a better-featured Android operating system. I’m not sure what version of Android the V6 runs, but I think it is lower than the M300’s Android 13.
V6 runs on Android 8.1.0.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #94,200 of 106,723
it is also a little quirky and has its own unique personality......to me anyways?
That's always a good thing. That's why I consider the Final D8000 the best headphones I have listened to.
They are so unique and different-sounding compared to others.

I already tried a dozen tips and found Azla (the sticky one :)) pretty good with an excellent seal.
Also, I have those weird ones; I call them "pine trees." :). They fit deep, and the seal is good.
I might order Spinfit; they have longer ones, which might work well, too, but I don't want to lose bass.
If you have some to recommend, please do.

Lisa Shaw's voice sounds so silky with Vulkan...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back