The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #94,171 of 104,064
Hahaha, you don't need a lottery win for Z1R...lier :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think I gave up on them. I recently found out that I don't have big enough ear canals for them, I guess :triportsad:
But they would be my #1 pick for the top-tier IEM in my collection.

I don't know about the lottery win, but it's more realistic to wish you getting them soon!

Cheers!
I just wonder why Sony has yet not revised the design of Z1R! I mean 99.99% of people must have issues with it’s design and fit. Ergonomically, that’s the most absurd iem. Sorry if that sounds harsh, because I find it absolutely beautiful sounding iems but such a horrible fit is not at all tolerable and it makes the situation more miserable. I think the product lifecycle at Sony has some minimum number of years (and that’s very high).

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #94,172 of 104,064
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #94,173 of 104,064
Surprisingly I'm also listening to OD200 today. It really growing over time.

ARP_5931_002.jpg
Guitars, such as Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, sound as sweet as raw honey, through the OD200, vocals hit the pleasure gland.

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #94,174 of 104,064
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #94,175 of 104,064
So, how does it sounds?

So the ND X12 has 3 tuning switches, which on paper is supposed to translate to 8 tuning permutations.
In practice however, there are only 2 tunings on graphing independently (so the switches seem crowbarred in for the illusion of choice). 8 kHz is a coupler peak as per below.

ND X12.jpg

So on the brighter tuning (switch DDD), it is very bright and thin sounding. Maybe only trebleheads will enjoy it, but it is too sibilant and fatiguing for me, can't tolerate it for more than a few minutes. Vocals are nasal and metallic, though clarity and resolution are high.

Thankfully, the other tuning (switch UUU) is tamer in the treble. So this is my preferred setting, and it furnishes a still bright U-shaped tonality. Still perhaps not for the very treble-sensitive. Technicalities are at least above average for a $40ish hybrid, it is quite resolving. Upper mids can be a bit shouty at higher volumes, but other than that, I think on first impressions, this ND X12 may be an option for beginners who want a budget technical hybrid. Will burn in and do further testing against other budget hybrids and report back.

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #94,176 of 104,064
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #94,177 of 104,064
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #94,178 of 104,064
Just received my EA500LM. Stuck some divinus tips on them (think they make everything sound better). It’s absolutely mind boggling to me that they come out with a product in the LM that, to me, sounds better than their product that costs twice as much. Don’t know what to do with my EA1000 now. Oh well, ZMF Bokeh delivery today after a two month wait.

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #94,180 of 104,064
Guitars, such as Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, sound as sweet as raw honey, through the OD200, vocals hit the pleasure gland.
For those of you who are looking for a DD in the higher performance bracket, this Oriveti OD200 may give you an organic sound experience. It has silver and black nozzles. The sound difference between the two is night and day. The black introduces for my ears a certain harshness in the upper mids/treble, the Silver filter is heavenly. Amazing difference. For those of you who like, Rock, Folk, Blues, General Pop, these handle vocals, guitars, instruments with a very nice tone/timbre. Not the best for technical chops, but not terrible too. The stock cable is good, lightweight and malleable. Penon Orange Liqueur Tips 14mm are perfect for me, I'm not a fan of stock tips. Someone had said in a review that the cable tangles. In my experience the opposite is true, it is fairly tangle resistant. They do seem to improve as physical burn-in increases and as brain burn in increases. Are they worth $200 when you can get the Simgot EA500LM for $90. The Simgot is detail heaven, while still being musical. It is though, from this modern digital world, and is almost scientific in it's detailing. If you are old school, and perhaps a musician yourself, Oriveti have come up with an ultra musical old school sound that is a tone/timbre icon, with a good bass thrown in.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #94,181 of 104,064
$259.99 is the price. Really this looks a lot like a SIMGOT production. :)

F2CA81FD-B926-4B05-89A9-64287B9C8B80.jpeg

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #94,182 of 104,064
Dunu Vulkan_sredjeno_smanjeno.jpg

DUNUUUUUU....VULKAAAAAAN here we gooooooo....woooooo :)

So...Thanks Redcarmoose, again, for not letting me give up on these!

Strange or not...When I hooked them up to DAP, which is pretty powerful for DAPs, they seemed so close to Falcon Ultra.
I almost couldn't notice the difference, a slight yes, but nothing more. I was a little bit confused because I expected more bass thunder.
Yes, there was a bit more, but nothing substantial.
I also thought I would pick Falcon before Vulkan for vocals because vocals were more in front and "clearer" with Falcon.

But...there was a huge change when I hooked Vulkan to the Topping A90D..
woow...bass and everything scaled up so much, power, power, more power, please, always more power :)
Now, I can't say the same as I did above. Those two are really different. Vulkan is such an exciting IEM and not harsh.
You can volume up as you wish, and they still don't bite :)

Hmm, there is one small caveat, but that's on me; they are not a perfect fit for me, just a bit too big (thick/fat); probably 1 or 2 mm less would be perfect :frowning2:

ME happy after all!!! :)))

Cheers!

P.S. I am officially a DUNU fan since this is the second pair I love!

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #94,183 of 104,064
For those of you who are looking for a DD in the higher performance bracket, this Oriveti OD200 may give you an organic sound experience. It has silver and black nozzles. The sound difference between the two is night and day. The black introduces for my ears a certain harshness in the upper mids/treble, the Silver filter is heavenly. Amazing difference. For those of you who like, Rock, Folk, Blues, General Pop, these handle vocals, guitars, instruments with a very nice tone/timbre. Not the best for technical chops, but not terrible too. The stock cable is good, lightweight and malleable. Penon Orange Liqueur Tips 14mm are perfect for me, I'm not a fan of stock tips. Someone had said in a review that the cable tangles. In my experience the opposite is true, it is fairly tangle resistant. They do seem to improve as physical burn-in increases and as brain burn in increases. Are they worth $200 when you can get the Simgot EA500LM for $90. The Simgot is detail heaven, with still being musical. It is though, from this modern digital world, and is almost scientific in it's detailing. If you are old school, and perhaps a musician yourself, Oriveti have come up with an ultra musical old school sound that is a tone/timbre icon, with a good bass thrown in.
Anybody here remember the KBear Believe IEM of a few years ago? At the time KBear said it was pure Beryllium and most did not 'Believe' them. HBB didn't so he opened an earpiece up and lo and behold......it was pure Beryllium. At the time they were $162 at HiFi Go...way too cheap for pure Berrylium, so they very quickly were withdrawn. Maybe pure Beryllium had health negativities too. So why am I mentioning this, with the Oriveti OD200 cable and Penon 14mm Liqueur Tips they sound remarkably similar. I've listened, A and B'ing both and they are like brothers.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #94,184 of 104,064

DUNUUUUUU....VULKAAAAAAN here we gooooooo....woooooo :)

So...Thanks Redcarmoose, again, for not letting me give up on these!

Strange or not...When I hooked them up to DAP, which is pretty powerful for DAPs, they seemed so close to Falcon Ultra.
I almost couldn't notice the difference, a slight yes, but nothing more. I was a little bit confused because I expected more bass thunder.
Yes, there was a bit more, but nothing substantial.
I also thought I would pick Falcon before Vulkan for vocals because vocals were more in front and "clearer" with Falcon.

But...there was a huge change when I hooked Vulkan to the Topping A90D..
woow...bass and everything scaled up so much, power, power, more power, please, always more power :)
Now, I can't say the same as I did above. Those two are really different. Vulkan is such an exciting IEM and not harsh.
You can volume up as you wish, and they still don't bite :)

Hmm, there is one small caveat, but that's on me; they are not a perfect fit for me, just a bit too big (thick/fat); probably 1 or 2 mm less would be perfect :frowning2:

ME happy after all!!! :)))

Cheers!

P.S. I am officially a DUNU fan since this is the second pair I love!
The VULKAN is to me a classic, meaning while it is accessible, it is also a little quirky and has its own unique personality......to me anyways? Glad you like it, I had somehow confidence in recommending the VULKAN, cuz no matter how many IEMs came after it, none of them ever really emulated it? Keep trying different ear-tips, and it may eventually fit better?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #94,185 of 104,064
vocals hit the pleasure gland.
Is this located in the inner ear? Maybe why I prefer iems to headphones since iems can get closer to the pleasure gland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back