The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #94,201 of 101,972
Are there any affordable options I'm missing for Bluetooth DAC/AMPs with a built-in 4.4mm connection which aren't the FiiO BTR devices? Not that I necessarily have a problem with those by any means, but it seems like that's pretty much all there is. I tried the ddHiFi TC44Pro as a direct dongle but it slaughtered my iPhone 12 mini's battery, so I probably need something I can use independently if I don't want to stick with the Apple dongle and an adapter. I'm on Apple Music, so even a DAP like the R3 II feels like a nonstarter (I'm aware it has some kind of BT mode, but my impression from a couple anecdotes is that it doesn't work perfectly).
I've been trying to find a replacement for my BTR7 and I've only come across a few that have 4.4mm and BT. Others have mentioned the Tempotec V3, but I don't recommend it if you're mainly going to use it on BT with your iPhone. Its BT connection has about a 1 second sync delay, which is pretty annoying.

MUSE HiFi M4 - $140 USD

1706632206780.png

ACMEE Magic Sound 5 - $260 USD

1706632249726.png

and I know you mentioned affordable, but I can't leave out this one..

Questyle CMA18 Portable - $800

1706632361816.png

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #94,202 of 101,972
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #94,203 of 101,972
So, how does it sounds?

And this?
Just began burning in today. Very early impression is that it is a more refined version of the Castor Harman Target IEM. This is with all switches off. I will have a more accurate description later on.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #94,205 of 101,972
New discovery, for me at least: Audeze LCD-X 2020 model.
I traded my 109 Pro and a Lyr 3 for it (I also had the shipping for my items covered to balance out the value).
I use Roon which has a built-in EQ profile for several Audeze models including this one.
Sounds heavenly with EDM, pop, hip-hop, metal and rock.
Monstrous, textured bass.
So you know I like that!
Aune S17 Pro synergizes perfectly with these phones.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #94,206 of 101,972

DUNUUUUUU....VULKAAAAAAN here we gooooooo....woooooo :)

So...Thanks Redcarmoose, again, for not letting me give up on these!

Strange or not...When I hooked them up to DAP, which is pretty powerful for DAPs, they seemed so close to Falcon Ultra.
I almost couldn't notice the difference, a slight yes, but nothing more. I was a little bit confused because I expected more bass thunder.
Yes, there was a bit more, but nothing substantial.
I also thought I would pick Falcon before Vulkan for vocals because vocals were more in front and "clearer" with Falcon.

But...there was a huge change when I hooked Vulkan to the Topping A90D..
woow...bass and everything scaled up so much, power, power, more power, please, always more power :)
Now, I can't say the same as I did above. Those two are really different. Vulkan is such an exciting IEM and not harsh.
You can volume up as you wish, and they still don't bite :)

Hmm, there is one small caveat, but that's on me; they are not a perfect fit for me, just a bit too big (thick/fat); probably 1 or 2 mm less would be perfect :frowning2:

ME happy after all!!! :)))

Cheers!

P.S. I am officially a DUNU fan since this is the second pair I love!
Love the picture, wow. Glad you're getting on well with the Vulkan too!

More power is a funny topic, since (most) IEMs really aren't power-hungry, yet the difference headroom makes is very underrated. Stuff with power controls the movements of drivers so much better. It is quite a difference. You can also go louder without any hint of distortion.

It's a very personal place. Nobody else can go there but you, it's the most personal place we know. It resides between attachment and aversion, between love and hate, it dies when you die. it keeps you going when life is crap. If you have goodness in your heart it follows you everywhere and maybe resurfaces again.....
Love word artistry. Thanks for this absolute treasure. Such hidden gems are what makes it worth reading through these threads.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #94,207 of 101,972
Are there any affordable options I'm missing for Bluetooth DAC/AMPs with a built-in 4.4mm connection which aren't the FiiO BTR devices? Not that I necessarily have a problem with those by any means, but it seems like that's pretty much all there is. I tried the ddHiFi TC44Pro as a direct dongle but it slaughtered my iPhone 12 mini's battery, so I probably need something I can use independently if I don't want to stick with the Apple dongle and an adapter. I'm on Apple Music, so even a DAP like the R3 II feels like a nonstarter (I'm aware it has some kind of BT mode, but my impression from a couple anecdotes is that it doesn't work perfectly).
I’ve come close to pulling the trigger on this one. Good specs and looks sweet. 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0CgcX0

Edit: Oh I see it’s been mentioned

Attachments

• IMG_6970.png
    IMG_6970.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #94,208 of 101,972
Blind purchase of the Ziigaat Doscino arriving tomorrow. Hopefully I didn’t make a $280 mistake. Anyone else purchase it?

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about it. I had too many other purchases to make, so this one was put on the backburner but it is on my radar of IEMs to check out as I did end up liking the Nuo quite a bit after sorting out proper tips and source.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #94,209 of 101,972
@o0genesis0o wrote about how he used apple music via bluetooth from phone on his r3ii micro dap. Perhaps he can tell you about its sound quality efficacy and battery endurance on bluetooth
If you have apple product, using bluetooth with any DAP running HiBy OS is a pain. Even the latest version can still incorrectly connect using SBC frequently, forcing you to disconnect and connect again for the DAP to lock into AAC. Audio latency is also much more noticeable than FiiO BTR series.

You have less problems with LDAC.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #94,210 of 101,972
I'm on the Penon mailing list, and did receive the notice today that the Quattro is now available.
A set has been ordered, for the mailing list discount price. :ksc75smile:

The package of my Penon Quattro was in the mailbox yesterday morning, and I listened to them some at work yesterday, connected as:
Win10 PC -> Cayin RU6 R-2R DAC (NOS) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [2x XLR] S.M.S.L. sAp-9 Amp [2.5mm TRRS] -> Quattro
Even without any burn-in, I really like the full, thumpy sound of the Quattro.
However, one thing I noticed this morning, is that the blue-ring filter is missing from the left earphone. :slight_frown:
(It wasn't in the little plastic bag that the earphone was shipped in, and it's not in my audio carry case. I didn't notice whether it was in the earphone when I first started using them yesterday morning. From looking through a loupe at the right earphone, the filter appears to be press-fit, rather than glued in - and I don't see any glue residue on the left earphone.)
DSC-240130_110653.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #94,211 of 101,972
Simgot DEW4X

First impression is good on the dongle, compared to the older Truthear SHIO it seem to be higher resolving. SHIO can seem a little dull sounding when I swap over, of course not day and night. But seem like a upgrade from the early Cirrus Logic dongles of 2023.
Need to try more over the week, and against the Penon Tail that I prefer more than the SHIO.

Love the size, its tiny.

1706646666804.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #94,212 of 101,972
New discovery, for me at least: Audeze LCD-X 2020 model.
I traded my 109 Pro and a Lyr 3 for it (I also had the shipping for my items covered to balance out the value).
I use Roon which has a built-in EQ profile for several Audeze models including this one.
Sounds heavenly with EDM, pop, hip-hop, metal and rock.
Monstrous, textured bass.
So you know I like that!
Aune S17 Pro synergizes perfectly with these phones.
Highly recommend looking up the oratory1990 EQ and messing with the basic sliders it suggests. Audeze headphones were made for EQ, my LCD-2C are absolute bass monsters now.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #94,213 of 101,972
The package of my Penon Quattro were in the mailbox yesterday morning, and I listened to them some at work yesterday, connected as:
Win10 PC -> Cayin RU6 R-2R DAC (NOS) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [2x XLR] S.M.S.L. sAp-9 Amp [2.5mm TRRS] -> Quattro
Even without any burn-in, I really like the full, thumpy sound of the Quattro.
However, one thing I noticed this morning, is that the blue-ring filter is missing from the left earphone. :slight_frown:
(It wasn't in the little plastic bag that the earphone was shipped in, and it's not in my audio carry case. I didn't notice whether it was in the earphone when I first started using them yesterday morning. From looking through a loupe at the right earphone, the filter appears to be press-fit, rather than glued in - and I don't see any glue residue on the left earphone.)
Tell Penon support about the missing filter. They have excellent support, though the approaching Chinese New Year might slow them down a bit.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #94,214 of 101,972
Love the picture, wow. Glad you're getting on well with the Vulkan too!

More power is a funny topic, since (most) IEMs really aren't power-hungry, yet the difference headroom makes is very underrated. Stuff with power controls the movements of drivers so much better. It is quite a difference. You can also go louder without any hint of distortion.
Yup, thanks...

I didn't speak about the lack of power to make them extremely loud.
No, I don't support the idea; if there is enough W, then you are fine (that's crazy)...
I spoke about the configuration and architecture of the powerful desktop amps and what you miss with smaller DAPs.

A&K Kann Alpha is excellent sounding and has more than enough power to max the volume more than enough (even for me :) ).
And I love listening to it. It's just that the sound is fuller with desktop amps and more grand.

I have never tried 2k DAPs or more expensive ones, but even if I had, I don't believe they can be better than, let's say, SPL Phonitor XE.
Perhaps I will change my perception when I hear 2k or 3k one. Still, DAPs that cost less than 2k...no way, anyway...maybe in the future :)

I wrote even with cheaper IEMs I got recently; they just scale up, especially bass with the desktop amp.

What's the case? It doesn't matter to me; it's just what I can hear, the difference. I trust my hearing.

As I wrote, Falcon Ultra vs. Vulkan, I almost couldn't hear the difference on DAP; with Topping A90D, there is a big difference in the sound between the two.

Uh, man, I talk (write) too much! :)

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #94,215 of 101,972
Many of the current Sigma Delta DAC dongles use similar DAC chips, and the various DAC brands eg AK, ESS, Cirrus, tend to have their house sound.

But the final sound is still influenced mostly by the rest of the circuitry and tuning. So I've tried ESS/AK sources that are edgy, some that are smooth.

The current day dongles do vary in terms of power output, output impedance and measurements. But I guess most are hitting such a high level of measurements and sound that most are at least above average and are not outright failures. In fact I dare say dongles have made sub $100 DAPs obsolete, they give much better price-to-performance ratio than DAPs, though some may not like the battery drain and memory limits of a dongle-smartphone combination.
When I had the BTR7 it blew me away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back