The discovery thread!
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #83,506 of 101,344
I think I have compared them, maybe a few hundred pages back.

Monarch II has a weird cloudy bass that is annoying if you pay attention to that. It rumbles and growls rather than punchy. U12t is noticeably snappier in the bass. That’s a stand out difference.

When listening to simple but detail rich recordings, Monarch II is surprisingly even more detailed than U12t. But when the music gets very dense and busy, the U12t peels apart the music better.

The staging is no comparison. Monarch II feels smaller and flatter, more in-the-head.

But yeah, super solid option for A$1600. Most folks would appreciate the rumbles, details, and clear vocals of Monarch II.

Aah @o0genesis0o beat me to it. I concur similar experience between 2

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #83,507 of 101,344
Aah @o0genesis0o beat me to it. I concur similar experience between 2

I’m eager to try the Monarch III. ThieAudio makes a big deal about the new dual woofers setup, so let’s see how it pans out.

There is also a new hybrid from ThieAudio called Hype 2, using the same new woofers. More wallet friendly price tag.

BF5A8E55-D1AF-4DA7-8354-FDD485DCDA38.jpeg

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #83,508 of 101,344

CHU CHU HYPE TRAIN PART 2?​

compressed descaled.jpg

Come with me as I take a first look at the long awaited update to one of the sets that lead the budget Chifi boom, thr Moondrop Chu 2! Priced at $18, this is a set with a massive reputation to live up to, so let's not diddle daddle and see whether Chu 2 is the return of the budget king!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
  • Very clean packaging with a tasteful waifu
  • Decent inclusions for $20, but omits from Springtips
  • Decent detachable cable that omits from the wacky Moondrop y-split
  • Solid, full metal build with a very comfortable and snug fit
  • Interesting removable nozzle lip design
  • Energetic, slightly v-shape sound signature
  • Deep-hitting, punchy and nicely textured bass
  • Clean, slightly thin midrange
  • Forward, well extended but fatigue-free treble with very crisp microdetail retrieval
  • Decent technical capabilities

The Moondrop Chu 2 features a 10mm Aluminum-Magnesium diaphragm housed in a Zinc Alloy shell with 0.78mm detachable cable interface and terminated to 3.5mm.

The biggest surprise I had upon putting the Chu 2 in my ears and listening to music is that it is fundamentally different from the original Chu. The bass is considerably boosted with it having such a deep and tactile presentation that is a stark contrast from the original. The treble still retains the signature Chu sparkle with fantastic microdetail and clarity but tamed down just a tad bit to make the Chu 2 a more balanced, more lively and arguably more rounded listening experience. It does all that while still retaining the wonderful shape and finally implementing a detachable cable.

However, having a considerable boost on both ends leaves the midrange sounding a little thin and a little recessed. The bass also isn’t the tightest or most defined sounding. The upper mids are also boosted quite the ways from the original Chu with can potentially introduce shout. The omittance of the Springtips was also quite disappointing as it was one of the hallmarks of why people got the Chu in the first place.

I was so tempted to put everything in this impression as I genuinely think there is a lot to talk about the Chu 2 in terms of the legacy that the OG Chu left and whether the former can live up to the latter. However, these two IEMs are fundamentally different from each other in terms of its tuning philosophy that it ends up seeming like a different flavor more than an upgrade. Nonetheless, it's a good $20 set for those looking for a fun sound!

Stay tuned for the full review!

If you would like to order one, consider using the non-affiliated link below:

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-chu-2-10mm-dynamic-in-ear-headphone

If you have any questions or concerns, contact me on my Facebook page or email me at obodioreviews@gmail.com

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #83,513 of 101,344
Wild guess that Penon don't want this to take away from the Penon Turbo buyers, so I am calling somewhere between 500-600usd :thinking:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Got the famous and mixed received Letshouer DZ4 today, letting it get some play time today and over the night. Can share what I think tomorrow.
Its very mid centric, reminds me of a Tangzu Wan Er with more resolving capability. Cool design, and a very nice texture to the shell.

DSCF3108.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #83,514 of 101,344
I just got my sample today from Kiwi Ears website (2 weeks time and this time no local taxes)...Redcarmoose convinced me to give at least a try with his complete review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kiwiears-quintet.26582/reviews#review-31155

20230721_093216 copie.jpg

I really wanted to give a try to a rather complex and risky/muddy hybrid multi drivers like this, though I think the best results for me were mainly none hybrid systems (except IER-Z1R absolute reference, XBA-N3 as fun reference & EXT quite good even if far too expensive and weak), but, till now I enjoyed clearly a lot single DD (IE900-600, Xelento & HA-FW1800), the surprising Planar (ZeTian Wu) and for a month, I got my new tone reference IER-M9 with some full load of "Sony"'s special BA drivers.

My first feeling after a pair of hours with the Kiwi Ears Quintet, is that I am a bit surprised that mid high and high frequencies are clearly less detailed than with my IER-M9 or IE600, as I was expecting something "different" even aggressive with some BA + micro Planar Magnetic + Piezzo Bone Conductor involved in the sound ...
Compared to the M9, it seems some cymbals are muffled a bit in the path for some of my jazz test tracks..
For ultra low and low frequencies, in my case, everything seem to be there with the DD, deep low frequencies and good impacts (better than IEM-M9 without EQ).

Basically, I am one who is not really convinced by any hardware burning, cables & amp effects on sound quality, though FIIO pure silver balanced cable seems sometimes to improve high frequencies for my ears (this can still be a placebo effect).
Usually, I am far more convinced by some proper EQ and of course ear tips effects..
So, even if some of the Kiwi Ears stock ear tips inclued in the box are really comfortable, I felt some of my other ear tips with very large hole nozzle => opens the sound by a significant margin in mid-high/high frequencies.

So, I am thinking the Kiwi Ears Quintet fits perfectly in my ears as they are long and rather slim (this should allow to lay down with the head on the side ), In my case, they are :
-> totally non fatiguing for hours with no sibilance at all,
-> with a rather "dark" tone signature,
-> giving quite promising impacts and not too muddy low frequencies.
I will still take some time to "burn" a bit this quintet (?) and mainly my ears and I will see in a week or two if they will really join my actual dream team : Ier-M9, XBA-N3, HA-FW1800, Ze Tian Wu or go on the shelf full of unused IEMs and dust...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #83,515 of 101,344
Kailua?

What is that?

EDIT. I see, the new HBB collab
Yeah, Im trying to ignore the influencer aspect because the tuning fits my preference. I think DZ4 and Zero:RED lacks bass quantity for the musicality I aim in IEMs. Another aspect is that drivers are promised to be high quality. It seems to be a solid purchase. But I dont want to risk more early adoptions. Waiting for community feedback

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #83,516 of 101,344
Yeah, Im trying to ignore the influencer aspect because the tuning fits my preference. I think DZ4 and Zero:RED lacks bass quantity for the musicality I aim in IEMs. Another aspect is that drivers are promised to be high quality. It seems to be a solid purchase. But I dont want to risk more early adoptions. Waiting for community feedback
Bass quantity?

U should get the LEGATO then

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #83,520 of 101,344

Users who are viewing this thread

Back