The discovery thread!
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #83,536 of 104,977
Credit to the admins they were open to reason and were willing to talk (after the fact), eventually removing the restrictions on my account
Discredit to them when they could have the talk before just banning or removing posts. Makes people feel pretty powerless

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #83,537 of 104,977
his messages have to be approved by an administrator before posting
Ouch. So, that’s why people like Riku and tgx78 rarely post anymore :grimacing:

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #83,538 of 104,977
@AmericanSpirit do you recall me asking you if you were to be considered a "Member of The Trade" when you first brought up the subject of your collaboration? I was just teasing you then, but this looks like an unpleasant real-life initiation you have experienced. I'm sorry for you that it happened this way.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #83,539 of 104,977
Ok, guys. I have a $20 coupon from Linsoul that expires at the end of the month that I need to use.
Any suggestions [hopefully under $150]?
I was thinking about the Kailua, the KZ AS24, the Simgot EW200, Hidizs MS3, or the 7Hz Legato.
Ideally would like something that contrasts with what I already have.
Is the Kailua any good? Is the AS24 actually worth it (especially considering I recently got the EPZ 530)?
I also could wait to see if the get the Moondrop Starfield 2, but it's uncertain whether they will have it before the coupon expires.
Anyways, I have been trying to figure out a nice, easy solution to this but it is starting to frustrate me with their limited selection, out-of-stocks and overall higher than normal prices for a lot of their inventory.
I am not opposed to choosing something I didn't list here as well.
Thanks in advance.
Y'all rock!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #83,540 of 104,977
Ok, guys. I have a $20 coupon from Linsoul that expires at the end of the month that I need to use.
I was thinking about the Kailua, the KZ AS24, the Simgot EW200, Hidizs MS3, or the 7Hz Legato.
Is the Kailua any good? Is the AS24 actually worth it (especially considering I recently got the EPZ 530)?
I also could wait to see if the get the Moondrop Starfield 2, but it's uncertain whether they will have it before the coupon expires.
Anyways, I have been trying to figure out a nice, easy solution to this but it is starting to frustrate me with their limited selection, out-of-stocks and overall higher than normal prices for a lot of their inventory.
Thanks in advance.
Y'all rock!
MS3 seems like a good IEM. @baskingshark thinks highly of them, and we know he hates Hidizs usual tuning :dt880smile:

The legato is also a unique IEM. My votes are on these two.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #83,541 of 104,977
Where did the Night Oblivion thread go? Angry mods killed AmericanSpirit. :sob: He wuz a good man, he didn' do nuffin!
What?? What happened?

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #83,542 of 104,977
What?? What happened?
Our friend asked me to deliver a good bye to good folks here for him:

From @AmericanSpirit twitter:
Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 10.29.12 am.png

Edit: tl;dr;: everything he posts must be vetted somehow.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #83,543 of 104,977
MS3 seems like a good IEM. @baskingshark thinks highly of them, and we know he hates Hidizs usual tuning :dt880smile:

The legato is also a unique IEM. My votes are on these two.
Thanks for the input. I see the MS5 gets all sorts of different reactions and am intrigued, but the MS3 seems to be a safer option.

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #83,544 of 104,977

Wow, they came down on him like a ton of bricks. I'm sure HiFiGuides forum will welcome him without those chains...

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #83,545 of 104,977

Man, that is awful! I understand rules but he seems like he should be exempted from this for the reasons he brings up, at least until they get the company actually making income.
I will try to follow him elsewhere, but this seems wrong to me.

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #83,546 of 104,977
I see the MS5 gets all sorts of different reactions
It goes for Kublai Khan/MEST tuning, but it is not able to blend the 8k peak into the rest of the signature somehow (maybe the peak is too high). It's not shouty, just trebly and can sound odd with some tracks. The bass nozzle does a good job of taming the signature without killing the treble extension. I tried all kinds of foams and filters I have here following @DynamicEars advice, but I either kill the treble extension and details or I don't change the signature enough, so hats off to Hidizs for that bass nozzle.

Excellent, indulgent bass. Good resolution for the sub $500 bracket. Hi-Fri confirms via teardown that everything inside these IEMs are well designed and use high-end components. Maybe Hidizs can revisit this one day to retune it or maybe add a BCD to blend the treble into the rest of the signature somehow. Weak recommendation from me.

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #83,547 of 104,977
Discredit to them when they could have the talk before just banning or removing posts. Makes people feel pretty powerless

They didn't ban me but yes, it wasn't a nice experience. Either they allow a potential subversive poster with an agenda to continue to post while they investigate or, like most control mechanisms, shoot first and ask questions later. The latter protects the community better but it didn't feel nice to be silenced, even if it was only for a day or so.

Regardless, it's 'spilt milk' now and it's all been sorted. I just wanted to share how vigilant the admins are to covert advertising.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #83,548 of 104,977
They didn't ban me but yes, it wasn't a nice experience. Either they allow a potential subversive poster with an agenda to continue to post while they investigate or, like most control mechanisms, shoot first and ask questions later. The latter protects the community better but it didn't feel nice to be silenced, even if it was only for a day or so.

Regardless, it's 'spilt milk' now and it's all been sorted. I just wanted to share how vigilant the admins are to covert advertising.
In one hand its understandable decision to have "trades member" to be put on extra scrutiny.
but in the other hand, you will be put on extra scrutiny even if you are posting simply as one of the enthusiast and not as "official account"

understandable precaution but yeah, kinda sucks of people involved.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #83,549 of 104,977
Thanks in advance.
Y'all rock!

My 2 cents, based on the very nice gear you already own in your signature, I think if you want something contrasting, the only one is the 7Hz Legato.
The rest of the stuff you mentioned are not gonna give any value-add over the higher end better stuff you have, so best to keep your powder dry for a more substantial upgrade, or something different.

The Legato is a basshead set with huge sub-bass that will rumble your jaw. It is not too technical or resolving, but the sound is reminiscent of the floor speakers of yesteryears. Head-banging set, good for bass forward stuff like EDM and hip hop and a set for "fun". But basshead tuning is quite niche in a way, it might be a bit intrusive if you don't want big coloured bass like for example in Classical music, but it will be something different from the usual Harman fare.

7Hz Legato Graph.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #83,550 of 104,977
I just got my sample today from Kiwi Ears website (2 weeks time and this time no local taxes)...Redcarmoose convinced me to give at least a try with his complete review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kiwiears-quintet.26582/reviews#review-31155

1689866881907.png

I really wanted to give a try to a rather complex and risky/muddy hybrid multi drivers like this, though I think the best results for me were mainly none hybrid systems (except IER-Z1R absolute reference, XBA-N3 as fun reference & EXT quite good even if far too expensive and weak), but, till now I enjoyed clearly a lot single DD (IE900-600, Xelento & HA-FW1800), the surprising Planar (ZeTian Wu) and for a month, I got my new tone reference IER-M9 with some full load of "Sony"'s special BA drivers.

My first feeling after a pair of hours with the Kiwi Ears Quintet, is that I am a bit surprised that mid high and high frequencies are clearly less detailed than with my IER-M9 or IE600, as I was expecting something "different" even aggressive with some BA + micro Planar Magnetic + Piezzo Bone Conductor involved in the sound ...
Compared to the M9, it seems some cymbals are muffled a bit in the path for some of my jazz test tracks..
For ultra low and low frequencies, in my case, everything seem to be there with the DD, deep low frequencies and good impacts (better than IEM-M9 without EQ).

Basically, I am one who is not really convinced by any hardware burning, cables & amp effects on sound quality, though FIIO pure silver balanced cable seems sometimes to improve high frequencies for my ears (this can still be a placebo effect).
Usually, I am far more convinced by some proper EQ and of course ear tips effects..
So, even if some of the Kiwi Ears stock ear tips inclued in the box are really comfortable, I felt some of my other ear tips with very large hole nozzle => opens the sound by a significant margin in mid-high/high frequencies.

So, I am thinking the Kiwi Ears Quintet fits perfectly in my ears as they are long and rather slim (this should allow to lay down with the head on the side ), In my case, they are :
-> totally non fatiguing for hours with no sibilance at all,
-> with a rather "dark" tone signature,
-> giving quite promising impacts and not too muddy low frequencies.
I will still take some time to "burn" a bit this quintet (?) and mainly my ears and I will see in a week or two if they will really join my actual dream team : Ier-M9, XBA-N3, HA-FW1800, Ze Tian Wu or go on the shelf full of unused IEMs and dust...
Congratulations. Also they really get better with burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back