The discovery thread!
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #76,636 of 107,047
How's the sound of the Kbear XuanWu?
I'm really digging the design but I can't really find anything on the sound of it. Judging by it graph it should be quite a warm V shape.
Sa1931467c61449d9a081bf40e9e108bf7.jpg
without looking detailed scale, doesn’t it look like Traillii?

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #76,637 of 107,047
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #76,638 of 107,047
The MS5 is extremely easy to drive and doesn't really scale at all with sources. No point investing in any sources if all you have is the MS5 (unless you can).

Soundstage gets noticeably smaller with some dongles and micro DAPs though. Using Scores by 2CELLOS as test tracks, I can hear more closed in cellos with lesser sources. The bass is also less snappy. To me, lesser sources reduce both pros of MS5. But of course staging might not matter to some genres and listeners.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #76,640 of 107,047
No way the L Clarions are 14mm. No way.
You've intrigued me.
The product description is 14 mm:
Screenshot_20230419-180644_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you measure with the caliper - the smallest approximation number would be ca. 13.3 mm, trying to measure the rubber.
The widest part is close to the top, so that what potentially makes them more effective (?)
I typically need at least 13.5 mm and the large 15 mm works well, but then Clarions are amazing for me, I got 25+ pairs (and just sharing my highly positive experience for these $3 per pair tips; no any affiliations of any kind).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #76,642 of 107,047
Thank you so much for detailed reply and scale measurements.
I have a weird issue, my left ear canal is a tiny bit narrow than the right one. Eartip fits well in my left ear.
But I think TRI Clarion L will be fine for me and I can order just one Large pair from Aliexpress for $2.99, don't have this option with Springs tips ($13) but I think spring tips will be too large.

You do realize that mixed packs of S/M/L tips will net you two sets if you take different sizes. That can work out cheaper with shipping sometimes. :L3000:

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #76,643 of 107,047
You've intrigued me.
The product description is 14 mm:
Screenshot_20230419-180644_Samsung Internet.jpg
If you measure with the caliper - the smallest approximation number would be ca. 13.3 mm, trying to measure the rubber.

I haven’t measured them myself but that comports with my experience of them. 13.3mm sounds accurate. They work great for me… but only on very long stem sets. I’d prefer a true 14mm L. Maybe they could call it 14.5 XL and have it only measure 14mm.

:wink:

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #76,644 of 107,047
So here may be a crazy idea. So suposedly everyone can hear up to 100kHz through bone conduction right? Does that mean the endgame is a combo of an IEM and a Bone conductor clamp combo? Or an IEM that has some sort of clamp to actually clamp themselves against your concha.

That does sound like a nightmare to tune however.

And yes I know the MEST exists but I've seen no hard evidence of the bone conductor contributing to the sound at least without clamping the mest to your concha somehow. Maybe this is what Unique Melody should've tried from the very beginning.
No, doesn't mean a single thing! Clamp bone conductor is absolutely horrible in tuning, because the nature of open back, they lack bass and extension on top, they need a shell to have better bass respond and treble but even so, they're still bad. UM is special because according to someone i know who have UM Mentor, their bone conductor work in midrange you can say like 1khz to 7-9khz or something and you might need to wear it in a certain way (??), and with that you should hear like an extra layer on top of like 4 ba working in midrange

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #76,645 of 107,047
Ah Timmy = Crin.

They hate Mid-bass.

Simple logic.

Mid bass doesn’t work good to J-Pop.

They hate to see Bassist‘s existence anywhere near the female vocalist.

Makes sense if someone see any slightest mid bass as their archenemy, B3 will throw a heavy body blow, like I posted earlier on B3 impression note.
“Mid bass hater may consider avoid” B3 is warm-neutral as opposed to Dusk’s lean-neutral with huge sub bass lift.

Here is sound image projection of Dusk:

Here is B3:

As you can visually see, Dusk high unnatural high contrast, artistic and I do like Dusk over B2 OG, however, if you take a look at B3 presentation, you may notice it’s a lot more natural and “detailed in textures”.

I can see it’s a preference, and I do sometime like high contrast presentation too, but the detail on Dusk is a class below B3.

Hard to justify based on single aspect of the sound.
Can't speak for Timmy here since he doesn't seem to have a website with articles or maybe I haven't searched enough. But apparently his favorite bass ever comes from the IER-Z1R Which doesn't look much like Blessing 2: Dusk bass at all. Does it?

But for Crinacle well. He just updated his IEF Neutral curve. Called IEF Neutral 2023

And Truthear Hexa looks super smooth on this new target.
graph (1).png

...If a little late in the bass boost.

I can only assume that this is what he meant when he said he's only human. He can make mistakes.

Project Red unfortunately now looks a bit cold with this updated IEF neutral. Hopefully it to can be updated alongside this new target, but maybe it's too late.

But as someone who neither owns nor has any interest in paying full price for any Blessing. If you just look at graphs the Blessing 2: dusk seems bassier overall than any other Blessing.
graph (2).png

... And warmer too.

Also never reached their Discord servers (or at least I think Timmy has a Discord server too). So, I cannot speak for their ability to take constructive criticism. But given that Crinacle revised his target makes me think that he at least can.

Also just noticed S5 of Blessing 2: Dusk is substantially colder than the rest, barring the prototype unit. The other 4 samples are virtually identical bass wise. Does this indicate Moondrop could have silently revised the Blessing 2: Dusk to make it colder more like the Variations? Maybe it's unit variation but with S5 being so different from all previous 4? Am I overthinking this?

Also why are genres of music brought up in any of this? But if you have to ask me what I listen i think 75% it mostly falls under the EDM umbrella. They all have one thing in common, however. Very little to no vocals whatsoever. Neither male nor female nor whatever part of the LGBTQA+ spectrum you want to fit them in.

And does Crinacle not like his own FHE:Eclipse?

... And do I want a Hexa if I ever needed a new IEM? Or maybe I want the 7Hz Salnotes Dioko and EQ the bass up myself (I do hate the idea of having to explain to every stranger and family alike than I'm NOT wearing oversized earrings).
No, doesn't mean a single thing! Clamp bone conductor is absolutely horrible in tuning, because the nature of open back, they lack bass and extension on top, they need a shell to have better bass respond and treble but even so, they're still bad. UM is special because according to someone i know who have UM Mentor, their bone conductor work in midrange you can say like 1khz to 7-9khz or something and you might need to wear it in a certain way (??), and with that you should hear like an extra layer on top of like 4 ba working in midrange
So what? Just because they're currently horrible doesn't mean humanity should abandon the technology altogether.

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #76,646 of 107,047
I haven’t measured them myself but that comports with my experience of them. 13.3mm sounds accurate. They work great for me… but only on very long stem sets. I’d prefer a true 14mm L. Maybe they could call it 14.5 XL and have it only measure 14mm.

:wink:
Absolitely, I would love to see XL Clarion with 14.0-14.5 mm physical measurements.
You are right about "long stems", I was essentially avoiding short stems as not fitting properly from my previos experiences, so all my current IEMs are normal/longer stems (not as perpetratingly long as Stellaris), and Clarions fit well. With Dioko, C
Its unfortunate for you because few ~high end~ tips are larger than 14mm/XL in size. Proper sealed Whizzers is the best wide bore bass (while I do not own a Feaulle yet). Tone is not as sibilant as Clarions, but also nice. Expand the soundstage but dont sound harsh.

What I'm truly in love, actually, is with MS42. It is a more intimate presentation, but its a very very pleasant sound
I am thinking of Clarion as preserving all the range well, but you may be right.
I was first putting Clarion on less treble rich IEMs, but then I expanded to most of my IEMs and feel really happy about it. Whizzer almost fit, I ordered antibacterial one as well, just for nice violet colour :)

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #76,647 of 107,047
So what? Just because they're currently horrible doesn't mean humanity should abandon the technology altogether.
No lol who said it should be abandon, tech is good, but nature of it, open, wireless, piezo, all together doesn't go well with audiophile. I have bought 2 clamp bone conductor (one 15$ and one 70ish$) none of them are any good, no way, also tried IMR Ace, no special effect as i aware of (but the bass is nice tho). They might need a long time to improve and improvise to match "audiophile proven" quality but i'm sure it cost a lot which i don't think anyone would even care less about them, unless you have a deep pocket.
Can't speak for Timmy here since he doesn't seem to have a website with articles or maybe I haven't searched enough. But apparently his favorite bass ever comes from the IER-Z1R Which doesn't look much like Blessing 2: Dusk bass at all. Does it?

But for Crinacle well. He just updated his IEF Neutral curve. Called IEF Neutral 2023

And Truthear Hexa looks super smooth on this new target.

...If a little late in the bass boost.

I can only assume that this is what he meant when he said he's only human. He can make mistakes.

Project Red unfortunately now looks a bit cold with this updated IEF neutral. Hopefully it to can be updated alongside this new target, but maybe it's too late.

But as someone who neither owns nor has any interest in paying full price for any Blessing. If you just look at graphs the Blessing 2: dusk seems bassier overall than any other Blessing.

... And warmer too.

Also never reached their Discord servers (or at least I think Timmy has a Discord server too). So, I cannot speak for their ability to take constructive criticism. But given that Crinacle revised his target makes me think that he at least can.

Also just noticed S5 of Blessing 2: Dusk is substantially colder than the rest, barring the prototype unit. The other 4 samples are virtually identical bass wise. Does this indicate Moondrop could have silently revised the Blessing 2: Dusk to make it colder more like the Variations? Maybe it's unit variation but with S5 being so different from all previous 4? Am I overthinking this?

Also why are genres of music brought up in any of this? But if you have to ask me what I listen i think 75% it mostly falls under the EDM umbrella. They all have one thing in common, however. Very little to no vocals whatsoever. Neither male nor female nor whatever part of the LGBTQA+ spectrum you want to fit them in.

And does Crinacle not like his own FHE:Eclipse?

... And do I want a Hexa if I ever needed a new IEM? Or maybe I want the 7Hz Salnotes Dioko and EQ the bass up myself (I do hate the idea of having to explain to every stranger and family alike than I'm NOT wearing oversized earrings).
Well how about this, he have Auto EQ and a lot of user who use his old IEF to Auto EQ complain about how flat the bass is, so he updated the new one.
I personally think that maybe his library/test track have something to do with his prefer tuning and it's noticeable when you looking through his ranking list. Probally his library have something to do with staging and imaging projection, so midbass tuck is uninevitably his prefered tune
Edit: oh yeah i always look for the possibility and i don't think my theory is right, so take that with a grain of salt, usual ENTP things, sorry

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #76,648 of 107,047
How's the sound of the Kbear XuanWu?
I'm really digging the design but I can't really find anything on the sound of it. Judging by it graph it should be quite a warm V shape.
Sa1931467c61449d9a081bf40e9e108bf7.jpg
It sounds Harman-y. Without user graphs to verify, it sounds similar to Kiwi Ears Cadenza with a smoother 3k area and better mid-treble to my ear, in A/B.

I prefer midbass focus to sub-bass and an 8k boost for treble clarity, for a reference point

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #76,649 of 107,047
It sounds Harman-y. Without user graphs to verify, it sounds similar to Kiwi Ears Cadenza with a smoother 3k area and better mid-treble to my ear, in A/B.

I prefer midbass focus to sub-bass and an 8k boost for treble clarity, for a reference point
Yeah, I don’t like sub boost with weak mid bass, the boominess creates thin lower mids.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #76,650 of 107,047
Heyday came in the mail yesterday, I've given it like 6 hours of listening time.

Sound impressions: (Fiio KA3, 4.4mm stick cable, Final E tips.)

Take the following with a grain of salt, especially from someone who lacks listening experience.

- Well balanced tone, I'd classify the sound as mild V
- Bass is fast and has good control but lacks some oompfh.
- Mids are the star of the show, very natural and accurate.
- Treble has good extension past 10k, never sibilant.
- Soundstage is an the intimate side, layering and separation are above average.
- Sheer detail retrieval is around the JVC HA-FDX1 from memory
- Presentation is very soft, this sounds to me like a high quality DD, I'm not getting any of the planar twang some people mention when they talk about Planar sets.
- Considerably harder to drive than any other IEM I own, the KA3 does a decent job though you can do better, I'd love to try running this off the Questyle M15 soon.

Accessories:

- Tips are more or less garbage, get third party tips if you are interested in picking up a set.
- Stock cable is probably the best I've seen on any IEM I've bought so far, this is a far cry from the terrible stock cable bundled with the DUNU Vernus (Contrary to all the praise they receive for their cables.) and other bad stock cables like the B2 Dusk stock cable
- Stock case is way too big for normal use, I would have been fine with a case similar to the stock Moondrop B2 Dusk case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back