The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #76,651 of 106,418
The rough edges in air tubes are a thing in the air intakes of engines. you use the rough edges to get an air cushion via small turbulences against the walls. it could be possible that moondrop tried to achieve something similar here. A smooth surface in Audio is, in most cases, a real nightmare. Like glass, mirror or plain walls with speakers.
But traditional tubes are made to be as smooth as possible. Maybe hard 3d printed tubes behave a bit differently.
O1CN0129Gx9v1tWpGuEKGcS_!!844525910.jpg

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #76,652 of 106,418
Apr 18, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #76,653 of 106,418
interesting... there a Knowles/Sonion drivers?
yea treble should be SWFK.

Mid is Softears MID-B of which I think is Moondrop’s Custom Sonion.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #76,654 of 106,418
Well, unless you confirmed by your ear, the answer is you’ll never know.

I can try to see if that statement remains true as I have EA500, Cadenza, and Titan S instead of JD7.
Obviously nobody but HBB has a pair yet, but looking at graphs and judging by the $30-$35 pricepoint of the Cadenza and Z300, it looks like the Z300 is competing with the Cadenza rather than the EA500 or JD7.

HBB Z300a.jpg

HBB Z300b.jpg

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #76,655 of 106,418
Obviously nobody but HBB has a pair yet, but looking at graphs and judging by the $30-$35 pricepoint of the Cadenza and Z300, it looks like the Z300 is competing with the Cadenza rather than the EA500 or JD7.

Well comparing with similar price iem is a must, but no one need an iem that perform as it is. Rip the price off, let them compare with higher price iem, lower price iem, you might see the value and potential behind these set. I don't think sub 50$ have to compare with sub 50$, my EA500 which i bought for 52$, i think it can compare with sub 150$ or more pretty easy
Edit: i understand what you meant, but just leave it, they don't have to only compare with similar price because they competing with it, it can be better than 100$ iem, who's know!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #76,656 of 106,418
The Z300 is competing with Kiwi Ears Cadenza, not the EA500 nor JD7. Compare apple to apples please.
Been using the Cadenza all day, except when the wife and I went to the Tulip Farm. I used the Ling long, which is actually technically superior to the Cadenza, but half the cost. Cadenza is a burner with metal though.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #76,657 of 106,418
Apr 18, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #76,658 of 106,418
Well comparing with similar price iem is a must, but no one need an iem that perform as it is. Rip the price off, let them compare with higher price iem, lower price iem, you might see the value and potential behind these set. I don't think sub 50$ have to compare with sub 50$, my EA500 which i bought for 52$, i think it can compare with sub 150$ or more pretty easy
Edit: i understand what you meant, but just leave it, they don't have to only compare with similar price because they competing with it, it can be better than 100$ iem, who's know!
You can compare anything to anything at any pricepoint but that doesn't mean it's a fair comparison.

Also, I said in both of my posts that the Z300 is competing with Kiwi Ears Cadenza, not the EA500 nor JD7. Competing as in tuning and price.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #76,659 of 106,418
You can compare anything to anything at any pricepoint but that doesn't mean it's a fair comparison.

Also, I said in both of my posts that the Z300 is competing with Kiwi Ears Cadenza, not the EA500 nor JD7. Competing as in tuning and price.
Feels like this getting out of hands lol. I don't think you misunderstand me or anything ok? I'll explain my point of view.
I understand that Z300 competing Cadenza in price and tuning, maybe Wan er and Tinhifi C2, blon bl03 and lot of similar price set, but the question is, how can they hold their ground againist more expensive iem?
That's the point!
I don't think it's unfair to compare 2 iem from different priced tag, if budget iem worse, it's expected, but if expensive iem is worse, it's bad for them. If i say my Tanchjim Ola bass have better technicality than Hookx which is Planars and planars know for it's tech, do you think someone willing to buy Hookx anymore?
It doesn't mean that you're wrong, but i think it better to compare with all kind of price tag to understand the actually value of an iem, i mean, SR5 better than Gaea according to @s2kphile which is 10 times the price of SR5!
Also i said this
Tzennn said:
Well comparing with similar price iem is a must
Not only comparing to similar price, also higher price! That's why we still have to compare to EA500 or JD7
Edit: guys just a friendly conversation ok? Please hit some likes so i know we're still in safe zone

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #76,661 of 106,418
Hessian Dark Night 7 (DN7) 999yuan = 150$ Link
Seems like a 2 LCP DD set with a proper chamber
1681809410302.jpg

1681809420342.jpg

Graph
1681809398485.jpg

Looks close to Trailii
Edit: update rendered graph (kind of)
graph - 2023-04-18T164642.772.png

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #76,662 of 106,418
Feels like this getting out of hands lol. I don't think you misunderstand me or anything ok? I'll explain my point of view.
I understand that Z300 competing Cadenza in price and tuning, maybe Wan er and Tinhifi C2, blon bl03 and lot of similar price set, but the question is, how can they hold their ground againist more expensive iem?
That's the point!
I don't think it's unfair to compare 2 iem from different priced tag, if budget iem worse, it's expected, but if expensive iem is worse, it's bad for them. If i say my Tanchjim Ola bass have better technicality than Hookx which is Planars and planars know for it's tech, do you think someone willing to buy Hookx anymore?
It doesn't mean that you're wrong, but i think it better to compare with all kind of price tag to understand the actually value of an iem, i mean, SR5 better than Gaea according to @s2kphile which is 10 times the price of SR5!
Also i said this

Not only comparing to similar price, also higher price! That's why we still have to compare to EA500 or JD7
Edit: guys just a friendly conversation ok? Please hit some likes so i know we're still in safe zone
Agree about not caring about price tag when comparing. Of course, there is nothing interesting to say in a review when, say, a pair of CCA CRA is stomped on any aspect by U12T. But imagine the CRA putting up a good fight against the Aria? Why does a budget fi like the CRA must be inferior to the Aria because it is cheaper? (CRA and Aria are just random examples from the top of my head, btw).

JD7 is technically capable (semi open back + new DD) and has great build (reuse shells from FA7s). If the blon can truely reach that level, not just “sound kinda similar” or “almost the same graph”, then it is an achievement for blon and a win for consumers.

I’ll never know because when given the option, I chose to review Simgot EW100P instead of the blon :dt880smile: Ultra budget-fi from simgot is coming to me in a week or so.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #76,663 of 106,418
Speaking of odd pairing

9E49ED1B-46D6-457B-B8C9-69A541361D9B.jpeg

Cheapest FiiO with high-end R2R DAP. The JD3 is more competent than how I remember.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #76,664 of 106,418

Nah. The magic of Chi-fi is that some budget brands, those that focus on volume sales, truly want to beat mid tier. But yeah, just dont be delusional comparing $35 to $3000

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #76,665 of 106,418
Just did side-by-sides. The ISN D10 is way upper frequency crisper and offers imaging in the treble which is substantially brighter, more detailed. Where the bass is in a way similar, strange this is one of the few times my audio memory was fairly accurate? Really it’s the above description.

If I was to put it in a sentence it would be the Legato is smoother, more rolled-off in the highs?
After another day with the Legato, I have to agree with you. I had hoped it to be like 7Hz Salnotes mid to high + ISN D10 bass. That is not the case though.

For the moment I prefer the ISN due to a better fit (for my ears). They have a smaller shell as well. And for all the cable guys out there, the stock cable is supposed to be much better.

Speaking of cable -- the Legato cable (and others too) makes it neccessary to break out an electron microscope to read the 'L' and 'R' markings. Do these cable guys ever consider that older people or vision impaired people like listening to music too? How difficult to use a red dot and a blue dot? How difficult is it to have one side with a little plastic artifact which you can feel with your fingers? Shame on them.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back