The discovery thread!
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #68,057 of 100,507
More waifu pops up on Ali. New release? Kind of a Queen of Audio vibe.
Witch Pro.jpeg
Witchpro.jpeg

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #68,059 of 100,507
Yea mate, I made an exactly same comment back then with Aria, until then
-I wasn’t happy about the mushy sound of Aria at the beginning
Post1: Noticed Aria uses a different filter
Post2: Removed the filter
post3: Visual Guide

Also, the stock aria cable is the culprit of mushy transient as well.

That's why you see my Signature's aria has an asterisk Aria* It's not the factory default stock tuned.

I've even spent time taking notes for the detailed chart
Following up with Aria's mushy tonality, I did look up if anyone measured other than FR, and wow RTING did!

Unfortunately, the vast majority of their measurements are for consumer products, yea because it sells a ton or so, but the measurement is very helpful. Hope they had impulse response measurement...

Weighted Harmonic Distortion

Moondrop Aria OG 2020 (stock)

1669845038229.png

Moondrop Kato
1669845086550.png

7Hz Timeless
1669845135875.png

Group Delay

1669845182613.png

Moondrop Aria OG 2020 (stock)
1669845207387.png

1669845215023.png

1669845233806.png

Phase Mismatch
1669845274875.png

1669845281828.png

1669845288718.png

URL:https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-5/graph#30204/7966

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #68,060 of 100,507
Xenns Mangird Tea 2 and Kato should arrive in a few days

Props to every Chinese seller for redirecting all of my orders to Colombia for some stupid reason, this adds like 2 weeks of shipping delay on average,

Then my Ali orders are shipped to Florida adding even more delays.

It's no wonder why standard ali shipping is snailmail.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #68,062 of 100,507
CCA CRA+
OTTB: very bass dominant but has quality driver compared old generations (EDX).

▶︎Sound like W-shape, not bad, junkie taste with quality backbone

▶︎Gold face plate is really gold, not my taste but hey it’s gold! How Gold? This Gold.
F3D95ABA-CF35-4475-A15E-7E5D2D267D3C.jpeg

▶︎so far bass is boxy and boomy, but may change after some burn-in

▶︎good image focus

▶︎but still CRA+ can’t be good enough in technicality over LCP equipped Chu / lea. Par with Salnotes Zero, so if tuning fits your preference, it’s a good choice for $20-30 segment

▶︎This feeling is like, I had a burger that’s made with premium grade beef. Junk food with some strong taste and emphasis, but well made.

▶︎overall weight is on mid-bass & mid, treble is nicely scooped off the edgy portion. Natural? No. Good? Yea pretty good👍 At least my ear is intact and sound.

▶︎note is rich and round sounding

▶︎bass could be a bit lowered if CCA’s intention was to nerd it. Unique taste but not for everyone.

▶︎bass bleed sensitive group or basso-phobia may **** in pants

▶︎ for bassheads? Yea!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #68,063 of 100,507
Hello guys, since i love the Penon Serial so much, i feel the need to share it here (im kinda never making front page, so...gotta do what we gotta do!) I rarely share my review, so....follow me if you wanna be update about it. Cheers!

Pros:
-Bass presence, layering and fullness
-Mids presence, layering and fullness
-Natural dense timbre
-beautifuly balanced warm W shape tonality
-wide lush male and female vocal
-thick yet well articulated layering
-good enough transparency
-smooth non fatiguing
-heavy note weight and dynamic
-wide holographic soundstage
-excellent all arounder
-dark treble that doesnt lack in details and nuance
-excellent accessories
-good construction with appealing look
-great price value

Cons:
-not the cleanest sound
-not the sharpest resolution
-not the most extended and sparkly treble
-not for treble head

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-serial.25604/reviews#review-29662
The fascinating part in the response was the change from 5 days of burn-in to 7 full days of burn-in. Where I was at first no that critical of such silliness, thinking.........ahhh.......what's the use? You know most of the time the differences are incredibly small if any between 5 days and 7 days burn-in. But it was suggested to me through PM that I go the full 7 days burn-in. Amazingly enough the bass actually become slightly more fluid and the midrange and treble become more congealed and of larger stage. After 7 days there was an aura of smoothness that seemed to permeate the whole signature? The Serial are unique in the IEM world as they perform with full authority from just a phone..........still thick and full sounding, of course another source makes them better, and truthfully from a phone they only get so loud, but it's the best response from a simple phone I have got........ever. So of course if people are searching for the ultimate phone IEM, and they are drawn to warmth and thick responses, here it is. Who ever thought of putting three different technologies of DDs into one configuration? They are as unique as they look, little expressions of the IEM art for people who truly are searching for correctness. Not and ounce of BA timbre cuz the BAs were left out!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #68,064 of 100,507
A little while since I've been here... Any successors on the Kato and oxygens in its similar price range? I'm single DD all the way now but just hoping for better drivers for my future upgrade. In the meantime I've been on the usb dac rabbit hole and have found an amazing combo with the kato's and centrance dacport hd. The most close to real life as I have ever heard but the search for my perfect sound still continues!
If your religion is absolutely single dynamic, Softears Twilight($1k) is probably a Kato’s upgrade. And you got some DUNU as a well.

Adding to this, I've listened to the Kato and Oxygen, but i haven't heard the Softears Twilight.
i would suggest giving the Sennheiser IE600 a listen. That's one of the best single DD I've heard.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #68,065 of 100,507
The fascinating part in the response was the change from 5 days of burn-in to 7 full days of burn-in. Where I was at first no that critical of such silliness, thinking.........ahhh.......what's the use? You know most of the time the differences are incredibly small if any between 5 days and 7 days burn-in. But it was suggested to me through PM that I go the full 7 days burn-in. Amazingly enough the bass actually become slightly more fluid and the midrange and treble become more congealed and of larger stage. After 7 days there was an aura of smoothness that seemed to permeate the whole signature? The Serial are unique in the IEM world as they perform with full authority from just a phone..........still thick and full sounding, of course another source makes them better, and truthfully from a phone they only get so loud, but it's the best response from a simple phone I have got........ever. So of course if people are searching for the ultimate phone IEM, and they are drawn to warmth and thick responses, here it is. Who ever thought of putting three different technologies of DDs into one configuration? They are as unique as they look, little expressions of the IEM art for people who truly are searching for correctness. Not and ounce of BA timbre cuz the BAs were left out!
Right mate, funny you underline this...oups, i forgot to underline it in my review! anyway, first thing i tell myself getting these was: even if you dont believe in burn in, it would be dumb not doing so with 3DD....since it multiply by 3 benefit of the doubt...and indeed, bass begin to extract its presence way more, in a WOW way....cant rave enough about sub bass of these, this just cant be achieve with one DD, not even with Final A8000....i mean, its not as fast as A8000 but whole meaty body is extract of the sub bass line, sometime i was feeling i hallucinate the bass player in front of me, yet, when singer come in, he let its space to blossom too.
I do well to ask them to Penon, since first sample I get from them was SuperTFZ Force 1 lol...ultra bass head...very fatiguing to my ears, give me headache in fact.
Serial should become a classic, and its perfect UM 3DT bromance to have, bright bro plus warm bro

i will give them a try on my LG V30 soon cause of you:wink:

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #68,066 of 100,507
That's also part of the magnetic structure. It's the outer circular part you see in the teardown picture. It's a standard part in many DD designs, such as in the Aria:
1669821261283.png
It's just a single DD.
What I suspect is that a DD's correct name is actually "moving-coil dynamic" driver so it's not like there are two diaphargms but two moving coils and the coil(s) are probably not always drawn in the diagrams. Maybe someone should ask NiceHCK about this.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #68,067 of 100,507
Yes, to tell you the truth, I was asked about phone power sound during a PM, or I would have never discovered it!
Right mate, funny you underline this...oups, i forgot to underline it in my review! anyway, first thing i tell myself getting these was: even if you dont believe in burn in, it would be dumb not doing so with 3DD....since it multiply by 3 benefit of the doubt...and indeed, bass begin to extract its presence way more, in a WOW way....cant rave enough about sub bass of these, this just cant be achieve with one DD, not even with Final A8000....i mean, its not as fast as A8000 but whole meaty body is extract of the sub bass line, sometime i was feeling i hallucinate the bass player in front of me, yet, when singer come in, he let its space to blossom too.
I do well to ask them to Penon, since first sample I get from them was SuperTFZ Force 1 lol...ultra bass head...very fatiguing to my ears, give me headache in fact.
Serial should become a classic, and its perfect UM 3DT bromance to have, bright bro plus warm bro

i will give them a try on my LG V30 soon cause of you:wink:

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #68,069 of 100,507
Anybody out there wants to trade:
a pair of small (red) Spinfit W1 eartips for large (blue) ones,
shoot me a PM.
I want another pair of the small ones (without buying yet another overpriced three pack).
Unused, preferably. Thanks

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #68,070 of 100,507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back