The discovery thread!
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #68,086 of 100,200
Yamaha has released their flagship YH-5000SE headphones.

Costs an eye-watering $5000 USD!

317351584_2604665416341423_357842260528241651_n.jpg

Is that you Senn HD800S?

https://www.facebook.com/YamahaMusi...FSLLhFhmqvZTCqGsNHcxYJssh7Wfc4SGFEdfv2NJJRqql
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/yh-5000se/index.html

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #68,087 of 100,200

Is that you Senn HD800S?

https://www.facebook.com/YamahaMusi...FSLLhFhmqvZTCqGsNHcxYJssh7Wfc4SGFEdfv2NJJRqql
Thanks for sharing! I saw that on yamaha’s thread. But meh…that $5k is as expensive as Yamaha motorcycles….

As a trivia, Yamaha started the world first “Planar” headphone, and they named it as Orthodynamic HP-1 back in 1976. I have HP-1, and couple of YH series because a very unique sounding characteristics back then when only a sizable companies had participated in Planar drivers. The design of HP-1 is still “modern” and relevant even a half a century waged in, also it’s still running and sound. I’m storing HP-1 with silca-gels to avoid moister along with Sennheiser’s world first electrostatic headphone, and for the sake of humanity, may donate to a museum when I find myself not contend enough to store these two historic archives.
Here is ref pic of HP-1, it was designed by an italian designer, Mario Bellini, you can see his signature on the headband.

Italian Design x Japanese engine could not go wrong. (Japanese design Italian engine…a nightmare)

It costed around $200 back then, with inflation adjustment, around $950 USD for today.
1DD27A40-8B12-4F5F-B15C-D044CBF345A4.jpeg
66F35CED-6B8A-4A9C-8DE0-B0B481C61ABD.jpeg
14E0995E-4433-4C85-A797-3444DAB87AF3.jpeg

I hope Yamaha makes a more budget friendly one, hopefully around their offering price range of Yamaha Drums, that’s around $750 for the standard one, then I’m in!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #68,088 of 100,200
Kiwi Ears Cadenza: beryllium coated single DD
6A9D1838-0186-4340-8E80-42F12DE7AE5F.jpeg
E689E20C-BD29-4E39-84A8-750D5EE6852C.jpeg

….? Red? To my eye this color is 👄 Vitoria’s Secret’s Pink😅
Careful ordering Red color.
I ordered from Amazon’s linsoul store
Sound Impression will follow. On this post.

Stock ear tips (3 variations x 3 sizes) all with normal bore size, which doesn’t really match with nozzle outlet size…which means with default stock ear tips, you will have sound interference of ear tip. Wide bore ear tips may save the sound outlet uninterrupted. SpinFit W1, Softears UC, AZLA Zelastec Crystal Clear may fit for single dynamic.
2FF47C68-D24C-4EDF-AC23-1E817A87E0CC.jpeg
C46CFE03-297D-4D83-9162-C9DB0357BFAB.jpeg

Sound out of box: with stock ear tips, impressions may change after tip roll
-reminds me of Tripowin-Mele in terms of ouf of box performance and tuning
-5-6khz a bit spicy, we will see if this gets tamed over the time
-the popular warm-harman tuned one, considering Mele is around $50, $35 isn’t bad pricing with the nice shell
-hmm, right out of the box, nothing stands out, not a bad single DD, but not exceptionally good (I have same notes on Tripowin Mele even after 100 hours of burn-in, so this may not change as well).
-tuning is classy, harman U, with main weight on upper-bass, people with bass bleed may feel a bit uncomfortable

Testing bass with this modern piano d’n’b. Bass region expressions are very sensitive and fast paced, of which it will be a challenging ground for dynamic drivers

Tips Roll:
I couldn’t stand mushy sound with default ear tips, tried several and found Unique Melody’s Blue Core (extra wide bore, with bass boosting soft black thin silicones, but solid bore barrel) is a good match.

This is the right bore size for cadenza:
F9C2D926-5D9A-4176-B4B7-C6921A1307D7.jpeg

UM bluecore & stock cable(feels pretty premium)
0807CDF7-D578-454E-B56D-3196C9994371.jpeg

Timbre now feels more natural.

Dear Kiwi Ears:
Match your stock ear tip bore size with nozzle outlet unless you absolutely need the ear tip to timbre sound right. lack of “hifi” consciousness for stock ear tips will not leave a good impression upon box opening.

—Sound impressions upon proper ear tips fitted:

▶︎Harman with slight adjustments on bass floor, pretty natural and intimate

▶︎Sound stage is average
▶︎Rich & Natural timbre, acoustic instruments sounds welcoming
▶︎Good choice between Tripowin Lea once burn-in is completed, but do not expect an LCP bass speed
▶︎pretty cohesive imaging across the spectrum, no visible flaws unless using the stock ear tips

👉Moondrop Chu vs Tripowin Lea vs 7Hz Salnotes Zero vs CCA CRA+ vs Kiwi Ears Cadenza

Technical expressions:
Chu > Lea > Cadenza ≧ Salnotes Zero > CRA+

Overall tonal balance:
Salnotes Zero > Cadenza > Chu > Lea > CRA+

Timbre consistency : harmonic distortion
Chu > Lea > Salnotes Zero ≧ CRA+ ≧ Cadenza

My preference: tuning x technicality

Salnotes Zero > Chu > Lea ≧ Cadenza > CRA+

I would find myself comfortably listening with Cadenza for acoustic music, especially with duo /trio /quartet level small ensemble, due to the limitations in instrument separation, for full orchestra I wouldn’t use Cadenza unless all I needed is a macro listening or as a BGM. Cadenza is well balanced, so the tonal balance makes acoustic music to sound “right”.

For modern electronically mixed tracks, such as this (you will need BA/EST to render its speed and artificial complexity ) This is more like sine sweep in a form of music not necessarily pleasant to hear.

with wide variety of artificial sounds, Cadenza may sound “your average single DD” , lacks speed and layering, Cadenza has pretty wide frequency range, from very sub-bass to treble (disregarding that’s distorted or not), which makes at least Cadenza a bare minimum “Pass” for modern tracks.

I would pick Chu or Lea, the higher technicality ones as an entry-level solution.

For $35, it a good gift (just don’t choose Red, it will be pink unless you want Pink), “safe” sound with No visible flaws except basso-phobia, cable feels pretty premium (at least some aluminum components). Only let down is stock ear tips that has no good compatibility with Cadenza.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #68,089 of 100,200
Vernus is by far my favourite IEM. I like it a lot more than the much more expensive Dunu Zen Pro or Moondrop Variations.

You have to wonder why the Vernus was so limited. I have a feeling it was due to just how good it was meaning in the scheme of things. You cant have a $220 IEM outdo your higher end IEMs. It was both fan service and as much as people clamored for dunu to sell the vernus, they probably knew it was competing with their more higher end IEMs.

If any of you guys got lucky to get a Vernus. You are just that. Lucky. I have yet to own a comparable dynamic IEM for the price point. I think Penons Vortex comes the closest in value at the price but Dunu should make them permanent part of their line up. But I bet they have their reasons why it was in limited quantities.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #68,090 of 100,200
T
6A9D1838-0186-4340-8E80-42F12DE7AE5F.jpegE689E20C-BD29-4E39-84A8-750D5EE6852C.jpeg

Stock ear tips (3 variations x 3 sizes) all with normal bore size, which doesn’t really match with nozzle outlet size…which means with default stock ear tips, you will have sound interference of ear tip. Wide bore ear tips may save the sound outlet uninterrupted. SpinFit W1, Softears UC, AZLA Zelastec Crystal Clear may fit for single dynamic.
2FF47C68-D24C-4EDF-AC23-1E817A87E0CC.jpegC46CFE03-297D-4D83-9162-C9DB0357BFAB.jpeg

-the popular warm-harman tuned one, considering Mele is around $50, $35 isn’t bad pricing with the nice shell
-hmm, right out of the box, nothing stands out, not a bad single DD, but not exceptionally good (I have same notes on Tripowin Mele even after 100 hours of burn-in, so this may not change as well).
-tuning is classy, harman U, with main weight on upper-bass, people with bass bleed may feel a bit uncomfortable
This looks beautiful man !! Thanks for sharing

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #68,091 of 100,200
Not sure whether its have been posted here, apparently TinHifi Tin T4+
still googling for extra info or confirmation.
i've heard that its coming soon from one of the reviewer, but this random image is all i have found.

1669889417742.png
Tin HiFi keeps switching between their designs. First they had bullet shaped ones with T2 series, then they go full ergonomic with T2 Plus and T3 Plus, now back again to Bullet shaped ones. Looks interesting though.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #68,093 of 100,200
@AmericanSpirit I haven’t tried those SpinFits, are they similar in feel against the ear canal to CP100 Plus?
No W1 is the latest generation soft and sticky crystal silicon that doesn’t depreciate like old AZLA xelastec. CP100 Plus is the half-transparent soft silicon, same with most of SpinFit CP series except anomalies like CP500. To my knowledge, so far Softears UC, and AZLA xelastec crystal clear ( or in US they call it Xelastec 2 ) uses same material. Moondrop is still behind in base materials, their Spring Tip (SpinFit copy with wide bore) is pretty close to the latest generation soft silicone but a bit too soft to stick on ears.

W1: https://a.co/d/c7WEyYc
UC: https://a.co/d/fq8imtn
Xelastec Crystal: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msm8PBO

You know both AZLA and SpinFits are core ear tip makers and the market leaders, these new generation tip surely is a thing that will change the game. A high performance sport tires they are

The latest silicon feel better and sticks better than ones, also SpinFit mentioned that W1 is designed for the latest hybrids/tribrids. W1’s bore is pretty big, so it does a good job moderating the hybrids’s nozzle outlet. W1 also has the “Spiral fit” or SpinFit tech and acoustic chamber that sometimes does a tremendous job altering bass transients response.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #68,094 of 100,200
6A9D1838-0186-4340-8E80-42F12DE7AE5F.jpegE689E20C-BD29-4E39-84A8-750D5EE6852C.jpeg

2FF47C68-D24C-4EDF-AC23-1E817A87E0CC.jpegC46CFE03-297D-4D83-9162-C9DB0357BFAB.jpeg

Testing bass with this modern piano d’n’b. Bass region expressions are very sensitive and fast paced, of which it will be a challenging ground for dynamic drivers

Tips Roll:
I couldn’t stand mushy sound with default ear tips, tried several and found Unique Melody’s Blue Core (extra wide bore, with bass boosting soft black thin silicones, but solid bore barrel) is a good match.

This is the right bore size for cadenza:
F9C2D926-5D9A-4176-B4B7-C6921A1307D7.jpeg
UM bluecore & stock cable(feels pretty premium)
0807CDF7-D578-454E-B56D-3196C9994371.jpeg

Timbre now feels more natural.

Dear Kiwi Ears:
Match your stock ear tip bore size with nozzle outlet unless you absolutely need the ear tip to timbre sound right. lack of “hifi” consciousness for stock ear tips will not leave a good impression upon box opening.

—Sound impressions upon proper ear tips fitted:

▶︎Harman with slight adjustments on bass floor, pretty natural and intimate

▶︎Sound stage is average
▶︎Rich & Natural timbre, acoustic instruments sounds welcoming
▶︎Good choice between Tripowin Lea once burn-in is completed, but do not expect an LCP bass speed
▶︎pretty cohesive imaging across the spectrum, no visible flaws unless using the stock ear tips

👉Moondrop Chu vs Tripowin Lea vs 7Hz Salnotes Zero vs CCA CRA+ vs Kiwi Ears Cadenza

Technical expressions:
Chu > Lea > Cadenza ≧ Salnotes Zero > CRA+

Overall tonal balance:
Salnotes Zero > Cadenza > Chu > Lea > CRA+

Timbre consistency : harmonic distortion
Chu > Lea > Salnotes Zero ≧ CRA+ ≧ Cadenza

My preference: tuning x technicality

Salnotes Zero > Chu > Lea ≧ Cadenza > CRA+

I would find myself comfortably listening with Cadenza for acoustic music, especially with duo /trio /quartet level small ensemble, due to the limitations in instrument separation, for full orchestra I wouldn’t use Cadenza unless all I needed is a macro listening or as a BGM. Cadenza is well balanced, so the tonal balance makes acoustic music to sound “right”.

For modern electronically mixed tracks, with wide variety of artificial sounds, Cadenza may sound “your average single DD” , lacks speed and layering, Cadenza has pretty wide frequency range, from very sub-bass to treble (disregarding that’s distorted or not), which makes at least Cadenza a bare minimum “Pass” for modern tracks.

I would pick Chu or Lea, the higher technicality ones as an entry-level solution.

For $35, it a good gift (just don’t choose Red, it will be pink unless you want Pink), “safe” sound with No visible flaws except basso-phobia, cable feels pretty premium (at least some aluminum components). Only let down is stock ear tips that has no good compatibility with Cadenza.

It was launched right after I ordered Wan'er and I think I don't miss much. Was expecting way better technicalities. Nah. Better get Hexa/hybrid for a real tech upgrade :)

By the way, Wan'er SG is such a soothing listening session. No glare at all and no BL03 annoying levels of midbass... Just the right formula. The PET diaphragm is decent. Not much microdetails, but macro resolution is fine. It also benefits of wide bore tips

Dec 1, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #68,095 of 100,200
It was launched right after I ordered Wan'er and I think I don't miss much. Was expecting way better technicalities. Nah. Better get Hexa/hybrid for a real tech upgrade :)

By the way, Wan'er SG is such a soothing listening session. No glare at all and no BL03 annoying levels of midbass... Just the right formula. The PET diaphragm is decent. Not much microdetails, but macro resolution is fine. It also benefits of wide bore tips
Good to hear that Wan’er is great in timbre! Looking forward to compare it with other entry level ones.

And for real solid technicality one, yea HEXA is the solid one👍

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #68,096 of 100,200
AüR Audio Neon Pro (with RSV and EJ07M)
Gear used & streaming service: Cayin RU6 on balanced output & Apple music

*edited graph info
Hello People of portable audio,

Please allow This is gonna be my first-time writing / sharing about a product I personally really like. But first a little bit disclaimer, I bought all the items with my own money and nothing for free and also, I’m one those guys who perceive 64audio U12t as just an ok iem, so you guys might question my thoughts written here but it’s ok. It is what it is. Everything is personal as everyone has different ears, so what I hear might not what you’re gonna hear.

So, I am going to share a bit about AüR Audio Neon Pro (10BA set), an iem from a small brand in Singapore with a master tuner from China.

Gonna make it short with a bit of comparison with the RSV and EJ07M (even though it has a different config) because it has similar price range and the NP is priced at $650.

Neon Pro is an all-rounder IEM that is very engaging. It has a switch to turn the bass down by 3dB and it affects the graph from sub bass all the way to 600Hz.
How is it engaging? for me personally, an iem must have an impact on the mid bass presentation such as kick drum and bass guitar and Neon Pro has it.

I start with this point because this is the thing that I found lacking the most in RSV and even more on the EJ07M. I watched HBB review on the RSV and I did confirm that for me personally it is a bit lacking/muted and I sometimes did lose some of the engagement from a song.
Song to test it out: Little Dragon – Another Lover https://youtu.be/1ZW25hXzNV4

The sub bass can go very low when it’s called to and mids, especially when we compare it with the RSV, nearly has the same presentation and sounds natural to me.
Song to test it out: Alina Baraz and Galimatias – Pretty thoughts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHw9BDa3OE

Treble of the NP is never fatiguing just like the RSV but it has more energy/gain that gives more sparkle but still not sibilant. This is also the 2nd point that I found lacking from the RSV that makes it a little bit less engaging.
Song to test it out: Jimmy Browm – It’s gotta be you https://youtu.be/L8UC5hTmx9s

and especially listening to this song, the NP sounds expansive (this might be the word for it) and also immersive.

Instrument separation and clarity is good on the Neon pro and it has detailed sound that makes me question what is the benefit of having EST on the EJ07M. I honestly find that NP is even more detailed than the RSV and EJ07M.

As for the soundstage, I personally still learning how to define it and differentiate one to another so I cannot say much about it.

So, all and all, Neon Pro is an IEM that I categorized as an all-rounder, very engaging and musical (the most important factor) that every time I put it on, I always find myself moving and nodding my head. #notshilling

RSV and EJ07M are not a bad IEM, certainly there are people that love them to the upmost and it's good. But having to compare the three of em, I find that the Neon Pro is better for me by identifying what is lacking on the other two.
If I only have the RSV or the EJ07M with none to compare I would just find with either one of em.

On a side note: I bought the RSV and EJ07M to learn how to understand FR and cross checking it with the sound and I must say Harman target IEM is probably not for me. There might be some exception, but for now, AüR Audio certainly know how to tune their IEM and not just follow the trend.

FR courtesy of: AKROS

aür_audio_neon (1) - Copy.jpg

317718433_707403667520487_3173878028712015138_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #68,097 of 100,200
Surprised they’re still available, any measurements? I haven’t heard them but I remember eyeing em back in the day.
Not sure? Maybe Golden Ears? Do they still exist? LOL I remember they used to be the old school place to go for measurements.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #68,098 of 100,200
AüR Audio Neon Pro (with RSV and EJ07M)
Gear used & streaming service: Cayin RU6 on balanced output & Apple music

Hello People of portable audio,

Please allow This is gonna be my first-time writing / sharing about a product I personally really like. But first a little bit disclaimer, I bought all the items with my own money and nothing for free and also, I’m one those guys who perceive 64audio U12t as just an ok iem, so you guys might question my thoughts written here but it’s ok. It is what it is. Everything is personal as everyone has different ears, so what I hear might not what you’re gonna hear.

So, I am going to share a bit about AüR Audio Neon Pro (10BA set), an iem from a small brand in Singapore with a master tuner from China.

Gonna make it short with a bit of comparison with the RSV and EJ07M (even though it has a different config) because it has similar price range and the NP is priced at $650.

Neon Pro is an all-rounder IEM that is very engaging. It has a switch to turn the bass down by 3dB and it affects the graph from sub bass all the way to 600Hz.
How is it engaging? for me personally, an iem must have an impact on the mid bass presentation such as kick drum and bass guitar and Neon Pro has it.

I start with this point because this is the thing that I found lacking the most in RSV and even more on the EJ07M. I watched HBB review on the RSV and I did confirm that for me personally it is a bit lacking/muted and I sometimes did lose some of the engagement from a song.
Song to test it out: Little Dragon – Another Lover https://youtu.be/1ZW25hXzNV4

The sub bass can go very low when it’s called to and mids, especially when we compare it with the RSV, nearly has the same presentation and sounds natural to me.
Song to test it out: Alina Baraz and Galimatias – Pretty thoughts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHw9BDa3OE

Treble of the NP is never fatiguing just like the RSV but it has more energy/gain that gives more sparkle but still not sibilant. This is also the 2nd point that I found lacking from the RSV that makes it a little bit less engaging.
Song to test it out: Jimmy Browm – It’s gotta be you https://youtu.be/L8UC5hTmx9s

and especially listening to this song, the NP sounds expansive (this might be the word for it) and also immersive.

Instrument separation and clarity is good on the Neon pro and it has detailed sound that makes me question what is the benefit of having EST on the EJ07M. I honestly find that NP is even more detailed that ESV and EJ07M.

As for the soundstage, I personally still learning how to define it and differentiate one to another so I cannot say much about it.

So, all and all, Neon Pro is an IEM that I categorized as an all-rounder, very engaging and musical (the most important factor) that every time I put it on, I always find myself moving and nodding my head. #notshilling

RSV and EJ07M are not a bad IEM, certainly there are people that love them to the upmost and it's good. But having to compare the three of em, I find that the Neon Pro is better for me by identifying what is lacking on the other two.
If I only have the RSV or the EJ07M with none to compare I would just find with either one of em.

On a side note: I bought the RSV and EJ07M to learn how to understand FR and cross checking it with the sound and I must say Harman target IEM is probably not for me. There might be some exception, but for now, AüR Audio certainly know how to tune their IEM and not just follow the trend.

FR courtesy of: AKROS

aür_audio_neon (1) - Copy.jpg
302101134_619350159717996_640439702246813565_n.jpg
Is the green line the Pro with the 3 db switch on? Interesting what you say about mid-bass and the bass guitar. I listen to a lot of reggae where bass guitar rhythm is so important. I have always found that reggage sounds much more alive when IEM performs prominently in mid-bass are. Yet I often see comments about mid-bass bleeding into vocals and most of the current tuning appears to really dampen the mid range response. I am still very much learning about how to read graphs so appreciate others wisdom in this area.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #68,099 of 100,200

Is that you Senn HD800S?

And in two-three years, when there's hardly any sales, and the experiment is considered a bust, they will be sold on black friday 2025-2026 for 75% off like the AKG N5005 are nowadays.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #68,100 of 100,200
Is the green line the Pro with the 3 db switch on? Interesting what you say about mid-bass and the bass guitar. I listen to a lot of reggae where bass guitar rhythm is so important. I have always found that reggage sounds much more alive when IEM performs prominently in mid-bass are. Yet I often see comments about mid-bass bleeding into vocals and most of the current tuning appears to really dampen the mid range response. I am still very much learning about how to read graphs so appreciate others wisdom in this area.
It's a bit tricky with how we define the usage of a switch right..hahaha..
but to make it simple, let's follow your premise. With switch off, yes it follows the purple line and I gotta say, it doesl affect male vocal. It will be thicker and have more weight. If reggae is one of your playlist then, the male vocal that usually has rough vocal will be affected.
But if we switch it on, we follow the green line that means it cut down the bass by 3dB all to 600 Hz and the vocal will be just nice. The switch is certainly audible in my experience and to be open and honest about it, I like the switch on all the time but yes sometime I miss that sub bass.

That's why this is such an all-rounder for me because it can easily satisfy the crave for low and deep yet clean sub bass and with a flick of a switch can present a different sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back