The discovery thread!
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #68,116 of 100,175
Final should really can that design..
OOC, why do you say that? It seems to have been somewhat successful for them and some of their most popular IEMs share that shell design. I, personally, don't have much of a feeling either way on it which is part of what has me curious. I'm thinking you know something about that design that I don't and I'm certainly down to hear about it.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #68,117 of 100,175
OOC, why do you say that? It seems to have been somewhat successful for them and some of their most popular IEMs share that shell design. I, personally, don't have much of a feeling either way on it which is part of what has me curious. I'm thinking you know something about that design that I don't and I'm certainly down to hear about it.
I think it's a love hate relationship for some. I personally find A4000 to be the most stable comfortable IEM fit, but I know some have painful fit due to the sharp corners.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #68,119 of 100,175
I think it's a love hate relationship for some. I personally find A4000 to be the most stable comfortable IEM fit, but I know some have painful fit due to the sharp corners.

I didn't think about that because I also find the design to offer a very stable and comfortable fit, but I suppose I could see how the edges might pose a problem for some. I think the A8000s are overpriced for what they are, but I still think they're actually a very good IEM. I haven't tried the A4000s, but they certainly seem to have a loyal following. It's that apparent success that had me curious as to why he felt Final should drop the design, but your explanation would make sense.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #68,120 of 100,175
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #68,121 of 100,175
Is it? I actually never tried it, I just assume most find it uncomfortable due to the flat inside and angled corners.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #68,122 of 100,175
Is it? I actually never tried it, I just assume most find it uncomfortable due to the flat inside and angled corners.

As @o0genesis0o and I just discussed above, it can be incredibly stable and comfy, but I could see some people having issues if the edges were causing pain. For me, and apparently for him to, and for quite a few others I know, their shell design is actually a very good fit.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #68,123 of 100,175
Final Audio mark-up in my place hurts so bad.

Yeah, the Final Audio gear is a bit pricey outside Japan.

FWIW, I bought the entire E series of Final Audio, but all were bought 2nd hand. There are good deals to be had, as the Final Audio gear are quite frequently sold briskly on forums.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #68,124 of 100,175
How big is the mark-up for you?

back then i saw the dollar price for e2000 or e4000 and was about to save for it as local store points out that i might like the sound sig.
then i google the local price... yup its marked up pretty significantly.
it was along side Ikko at the time where OH1 was sold locally at OH10 price. (it went down now)
---

wait let me check again,
oh hey, its went down now.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #68,125 of 100,175
Left a memoir of Monarch on head-gear, since nobody barely talks about her anymore. Still Monarch is an excellent IEM in some genre that doesn’t require mid-bass presence.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #68,126 of 100,175
back then i saw the dollar price for e2000 or e4000 and was about to save for it as local store points out that i might like the sound sig.
then i google the local price... yup its marked up pretty significantly.
it was along side Ikko at the time where OH1 was sold locally at OH10 price. (it went down now)
---

wait let me check again,
oh hey, its went down now.
Guys, if you have a USD account, it’s still not too late to buy from Amazon Japan for any IEM related goods. The JPY/USD could still hold ¥140/$1USD, which is very very good settlement rate if you can settle in USD.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #68,127 of 100,175
FR looks nice.
Hope more reviewers to try These two.

For RSV, it’s hit or miss really depending on your gain spots, if you have your pinna gain spots right at 3khz where Softears tuners have set as anchor point, their tuning to RSV is not to render out that 10BA’s power /energy/layering /textures, but to provide an ultimate quasi-realistic hearing simulator. With 5BA penta driver —only 1BA as a super tweeter (this will recude minimum harmonic distortions over 10khz where things gets complicated), 2BA for mid, 2BA for sub woofer, a bare minimum setup—Softears had done a mastery piece of low-distortion and perfectly liner phase, and state of art loudness status management gear. If it fit with your spot, it’s one and the only gear that you could never get away. But it misses, I totally agree with that you have mentioned in the comparison. They are different animals, one is VR simulator, another one is ultimate movie theater

Thanks to bring AuR Neon!

Just googled very few reviews. I found our fellow head fier nymz’s review and it seems it wasn’t his cup of tea
https://nymzreviews.com/2022/02/13/aur-neon-review/

I think I’ve mistaken Allure’s fr with Neon’s…. Neon’s FR looks like a bass-head IEM with V-tuned treble, you probably will have a very wide sound stage as a benefit with a sacrifice of natural tonality.

Hope they revise that FR to something like this; non-harman dark-neutral approach
D8A9CB10-2BC8-4CAB-8ED8-B90206DEA701.png

If you find Neon perfectly fitting with your preference, you also may find GS Audio ST10 amusing.

US $430.00 | GS AUDIO ST10 10BA Hybrid Driver HiFi In-Ear Earphones with 0.78 2pin Detachable Cable IEMs for Audiophiles Musician OEM ODM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0FJqky

It’s a copy of Vision Ears’s setup, full of high-end Sonion and Knowles, 10BA, bass-heavy V-shaped, I also have one of ST10.
1B770A66-873F-43D5-856D-BEF97B5270C8.jpeg2DA40FFC-6E6A-4C1B-B4D3-6C35CC7A5D10.jpeg
A detailed FR chart I obtained directly from GS Audio
16AF1B88-9494-4416-8262-32F8402B4D5D.jpeg

12db of bass floor, and whopping 20db treble boost! With 10BA high-end devices, it’s a hot dog made with premium A5 Rank Wagyu Beef and USDA Prime chateaubriand steak.
Agreed on the RSV, when talking about RSV I always say something like, for someone who just want to relax and not think about the height soundstage, layering and pin pointing which direction the 27th instrument is coming from or trying to hear details like the ants walking in the studio, RSV is just the right set. It makes you focus on enjoying your playlist and maybe something that you haven't listen to for a long time. But the NP is honestly giving me more of that feeling than the RSV.

regarding the Neon Pro, just want to clarify that Neon pro has a switch right, I borrowed akros' FR but but probably it's a bit confusing because the title on the FR. But Neon Pro with switch has 2 sound profiles which follows the purple and the green line. (while Neon, is without a switch and that only follows the purple line) sorry for the confusion.

As for nymz review, he tried the original Neon, the one without a switch.
if it follows the purple line (with the switch off), I sort of have to agree with him to some extend. It has very capable sub bass which probably addicting for some but for me, because it affects the mids, for some songs in my library, I didn't like it as much. But with the switch on (to cut the bass by 3dB) it is perfect for me my friend. Nymz hasn't tried the Neon Pro.

Also thank you with the suggestion ST10, it looks similar to NP with the purple line. Will try to give it a listen if someone has it here. GS audio is kinda rare in my country.

Actually this NP, RSV and EJ07M comparison is my journey understanding the hype behind harman target tuned IEM. I bought these IEM without listening to them first so understanding the FR and cross checking the sound can probably give me half of the information of what other iem on the market that I am interested in, the journey give me one important knowledge too that the diminishing return hits hard. It hits hard when we cannot actually buy and sell the iem easily. So yeah, ultimately, I trust my ears more and hopefully it helps my wallet in this journey too. lol

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #68,128 of 100,175
Agreed on the RSV, when talking about RSV I always say something like, for someone who just want to relax and not think about the height soundstage, layering and pin pointing which direction the 27th instrument is coming from or trying to hear details like the ants walking in the studio, RSV is just the right set. It makes you focus on enjoying your playlist and maybe something that you haven't listen to for a long time. But the NP is honestly giving me more of that feeling than the RSV.

regarding the Neon Pro, just want to clarify that Neon pro has a switch right, I borrowed akros' FR but but probably it's a bit confusing because the title on the FR. But Neon Pro with switch has 2 sound profiles which follows the purple and the green line. (while Neon, is without a switch and that only follows the purple line) sorry for the confusion.

As for nymz review, he tried the original Neon, the one without a switch.
if it follows the purple line (with the switch off), I sort of have to agree with him to some extend. It has very capable sub bass which probably addicting for some but for me, because it affects the mids, for some songs in my library, I didn't like it as much. But with the switch on (to cut the bass by 3dB) it is perfect for me my friend. Nymz hasn't tried the Neon Pro.

Also thank you with the suggestion ST10, it looks similar to NP with the purple line. Will try to give it a listen if someone has it here. GS audio is kinda rare in my country.

Actually this NP, RSV and EJ07M comparison is my journey understanding the hype behind harman target tuned IEM. I bought these IEM without listening to them first so understanding the FR and cross checking the sound can probably give me half of the information of what other iem on the market that I am interested in, the journey give me one important knowledge too that the diminishing return hits hard. It hits hard when we cannot actually buy and sell the iem easily. So yeah, ultimately, I trust my ears more and hopefully it helps my wallet in this journey too. lol
I see, if Neon could be tuned to a somehow mild V, it will be interesting. I may try it out someday as a some new taste.

Speaking about RSV. As far as your HRTF coincide with RSV, of which you probably missed, my take is that It’s not soundstage height or dimensions, RSV is a designed VR simulator, it renders what ever the original recording had captured.

If it was a binaural recording in wide open space, RSV reconstruct that sound image. RSV is designed that way, not an artificial a live house like diffusion tuned, imagine an binaural original recording took in wide open space then played back in with “artificial stage diffuse effect”, it will echoes and will make it sound “artificially” wide. RSV doesn’t do that “artificial surrounding effect”. If original track is recorded in a small recording room, you will hear that. Scalable sense of image depth RSV is capable of. If your HRTF didn’t hit RSV’s it’s just a 5BA sounding normal good multi-BA, a very expensive one for sure…

It’s hard to find info other than FR, but if you could, there are some enthusiasts that disclose, say, impluse response, loudness status, and all other key measurements that tells more than simple FR of an IEM. You may also look Linear Phase consistency, and Harmonic Distortion graph, which will help you to understand about Imaging accuracy.

Here is a Japanese guy who record many new IEM’s measurements.

This guy’s “pay-per-view” contents contains many useful measurements.
And good part is that he releases “recording signature”—the actual copyright free tracks recording thru each of those IEM to the Neumann dummy head. It’s very useful “nom-verbal” “non-numerical” pure-audio data that tells more that thousands of words.
4C2499E2-ED77-4521-913A-7B473BEFC1D5.jpeg
18F7CCEC-BAC1-4321-836C-429803848D18.jpeg
6267C2A8-437F-4B86-A827-CE3444356F5B.jpeg

Insanely high quality right? You can find many other IEM’s recording signature, just use a neutral IEM to replay the “recording signature” then you will get at least tonality part.

Unfortunately he charges for some of the graphs, and most recently he barely became HiFiGo’s promoter & Japanese translator….but still you can find some useful review of his.

Speaking of the journey, you may want to consider a Planar IEM? It’s $60-200USD at most and it’s something trending right now.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #68,129 of 100,175
A462C17D-F3DF-4911-A010-8643FE8C6D27.jpeg

Very first impression of NF Audio RA10 (review sample by Penon)
  • Unboxing experience and accessories are interesting. The egg bag for the IEM is made of a fake leather material with fuzzy lining.
  • The cable is very soft and light, but the ear hooks are tangly. I don’t hate it.
  • The ear pieces are way uglier in real life than the photos. They are just two pieces of semi glossy plastic snapping together. The photos made me think they are ceramic like Campfire dorado.
  • The tips attached to the ear pieces out of the box belong to the trash can. I think NF audio expects you to do so, since they include an entirely different set of tips in the box.
  • The ear pieces are tiny. Like IE900 tiny. As a result, they fit well and are quite comfortable. You can lie on your side with these.
  • The tuning feels neutral, slightly bright. No shout, no boomy vocal, not too much mid bass, not too much subbass. Treble feels lifted, but I didn’t hear noticeable peaks. Both Ed Sheeran and Bon Jovi sound right, not harsh nor sibilant (beyond what is already there in the recording). However, sometimes, I hear something uncanny with tonality. Need to verify with measurements later. Preliminary rating: 3 to 4.
  • Bass has decent extension and not much midbass. Skyrim theme has quite decent rumble, but not overwhelming. The “boom boom” of the drum is a bit quieter than the midrange. I guess the bass shelf peaks at lower dB than ear-gain. Bass texture is average. Not surprising, not bad. Preliminary rating: 3.
  • Soundstage is wide and flat. I heard a lot of left to right but not much front to back. Stage can extend beyond my ears when the music has hard pans. Center image is somewhat at the back of my head (?!). Quite strange sometimes . Not sure whether it is due to the IEM or the new dongle. Preliminary rating: 3.
  • Resolution: quite good detail retrieval. It digs out more details from the shouty voice of Ed Sheeran in = album more than, say, an Aria or Titan S. However, the sheer ability to distinguish similar sounds (separation) is nothing special. Still, I don’t complain. Preliminary rating: 3/5.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #68,130 of 100,175

Users who are viewing this thread

Back