The discovery thread!
May 1, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #62,701 of 103,611

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-ova-sg-01.25823/review/28427/

My first budget level 5 star rating. The more and more I hear them the more I realize these are probably the best sub $50 earphones you can possibly buy for your bucks. Unless someone shows me a phone that does better than these at the price. These are it for me. Not to mention the benchmark for bass at this price range. Superb sound quality from Reecho SG-01 OVA edition. As good as the original SG-01 was this one is even better for $10 more.
How's the sound different from the original SG-01?

My earloops can't hold my SG-01 well at all. In fact it's twisted outside and makes the iem falls out. Unlike other IEM earloops that helps keeps the IEM stay in place

May 1, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #62,702 of 103,611
I go into detail exactly what was improved from the SG-01 on my review. What earloops you using? The OVA version has a new driver in it an upgraded Graphene composite dynamic with a stronger magnet N52 vs N50. Treble and mids are more optimized on the OVA version. Also has a more proper cable vs the standard one they included on the SG-01.

May 1, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #62,703 of 103,611
I go into detail exactly what was improved from the SG-01 on my review. What earloops you using? The OVA version has a new driver in it an upgraded Graphene composite dynamic with a stronger magnet N52 vs N50. Treble and mids are more optimized on the OVA version. Also has a more proper cable vs the standard one they included on the SG-01.
I just read your review. Great review!

I only use the original cable with the soft earloops included preinstalled to the cable.

I'm using the SG-01 mic version. The earloops bend outwardly so it's really bad. At first, I even though they don't have earloops like other IEM because it's so bad. Better don't have earloops at all. I yeah i bend it inwardly but it doesn't help much.

I'm thinking of using heat to make it stiffer or maybe using additional earloops.

May 1, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #62,704 of 103,611
You need to just get a different cable. The stock cable does nothing for the SG-01. Unless you absolutely need a mic on the cord. Just about anything will be an upgrade on that cable.
1651461397236.png

This stock cable is one of those throw ins. Standard OFC nylon covering with a mic. The best thing you can do for the older SG-01 is throw these things away and just about anything is better than these things.

At least the new OVA version actually throws in a more optimized much higher quality silver plated OCC cable
1651461571642.png

Truth be told however. These sound so good they are actually worthy of throwing a good aftermarket cable on. Stock cable at least here is acceptable.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #62,705 of 103,611
I don't know about the effect on sounds but the original cable is bad just because it makes the IEM falls out. And I like the mic on them. Probably need to get aftermarket cable.

You need to just get a different cable. The stock cable does nothing for the SG-01. Unless you absolutely need a mic on the cord. Just about anything will be an upgrade on that cable.
1651461397236.png

This stock cable is one of those throw ins. Standard OFC nylon covering with a mic. The best thing you can do for the older SG-01 is throw these things away and just about anything is better than these things.

At least the new OVA version actually throws in a more optimized much higher quality silver plated OCC cable
1651461571642.png

Truth be told however. These sound so good they are actually worthy of throwing a good aftermarket cable on. Stock cable at least here is acceptable.

May 2, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #62,708 of 103,611

What? spend $50 and you get 3 extra days?

I think KZ/CCA picked good role models for levels with CRA+ but still kept it on the fun side rather than the more technical CRA. Perhaps the extended treble is a nod to the name but I would have been fine if the upper treble and mid-bass were closer to O2. I do EQ the mid-bass down as it has some real boom to it, but I am an Oxygen fan so you can inch towards it that way. Well done Harman-ish without some of the extra peaks that KZ has been using lately at 5k and 8k and the bigger stage that KZ has had lately.

graph (58).png

May 2, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #62,709 of 103,611
@Dsnuts

How does the OVA compare to other sub $100 offerings that you've tried? Specifically the Olina if you've had any experience with that?

May 2, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #62,710 of 103,611
I think KZ/CCA picked good role models for levels with CRA+ but still kept it on the fun side rather than the more technical CRA. Perhaps the extended treble is a nod to the name but I would have been fine if the upper treble and mid-bass were closer to O2. I do EQ the mid-bass down as it has some real boom to it, but I am an Oxygen fan so you can inch towards it that way. Well done Harman-ish without some of the extra peaks that KZ has been using lately at 5k and 8k and the bigger stage that KZ has had lately.

I've put my order in but the midbass is looking a bit too bold for me. I used to enjoy the BL-03 but my tastes have changed dramatically over the past year. I lean more towards the approach the Oxygen takes, like you.

Hmm, not sure if I should cancel the order...!

Edit: I think I'll keep the order given that I enjoy the CRA so much

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #62,711 of 103,611
I've put my order in but the midbass is looking a bit too bold for me. I used to enjoy the BL-03 but my tastes have changed dramatically over the past year. I lean more towards the approach the Oxygen takes, like you.

Hmm, not sure if I should cancel the order...!

Edit: I think I'll keep the order given that I enjoy the CRA so much
Your call but that is why I mentioned it and why I EQ it. Maybe just my personal preference but I would have been fine with EDA Hires level too which is coincidentally close to O2. I think most people will enjoy the boom and those that don't, EQ or big open tips. I started with AZLAs

graph (61).png

2022-05-02 12.44.34.jpg

May 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #62,712 of 103,611
@Dsnuts

How does the OVA compare to other sub $100 offerings that you've tried? Specifically the Olina if you've had any experience with that?
Never heard the olina but. There are better technical sets like Dunus Titan S and the recent ECCI YST-02 is more of a mid forward balanced set that is more of a hybrid. The OVA SG-01 has a nice balance of dynamism, tonality and musicality with very good detail for the price range. It does have a bit more coloration for its bass and slightly more for treble which makes them sound energetic in the right way, but otherwise its a very enjoyable sound. More bassier than the Titan S and slightly more bassier than the YST-02. So they are not exactly neutral but music sounds enjoyable on them. I wrote in my review they are a mix between a v shaped signature and a u signature. As it has ideal extensions on both ends of its sound. Mids have a very good rangy tonal quality to its sound not forward but certainly not recessed there.

Technicalities are not world class for is mids but it does not lack in any areas there at the same time. It has an inoffensive sound tuning while sounding superbly dynamic at the right places. I posted on my review about how they compare to something like the older Tin hifi stuff around the price range. T2, T2 plus. The T2 plus actually has some bass and comes more closer to the OVA SG-01 than the T2 but is more mid bass than sub bass and has a bigger 8khz peak than what is on the OVA. Definitely will be more noticeable.

OVA is got excellent bass for both mid to sub bass with zero roll off, much beter texture in the sub bass and the treble while it has a mild 8khz peak got very good treble balancing and extension. Again it isnt that they are the best of anything but for your Sub $50. I think they are easy to like as the sound does nothing really egrigious and sound superbly dynamic especially when amped. That is the reason why I gave them a 5 star rating.

I give ratings on how an earphone does at the price range they are sold at. There will be plenty of $100 sets that will be better here and there vs the OVA SG-01 but for the sub $50 price point. The OVA has a very enjoyable fun yet techical versatile sound tuning that will sound good with most music you all listen to just fine and will certainly excel with bass genres.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #62,713 of 103,611
Mail call! YES. Oooooooh YES. Twas about time after 1 month of waiting, the HZSOUND WAIST DRUM arrive and don't disappoint at all. Well, apart from 2pin connection that i feel isn't very appropriate for bulled shape mini IEM...at least cable is good enough like with HZsound Mirror.
My fear of it being a clone of DQSM Hermit with back vent is gone now, since its like 2 times smaller housing than the Hermit, more like Moondrop Spaceship. Its real open back.
It's third product i test from HZsound and can confirm they have an house target, balanced neutral with focus on imaging and effortless detailing. This time it's hint warmer than Mirror, but more open and wide in soundstage, with more natural and dense timbre and better mids presence, it's really refined and beautifully balanced. Treble is magnificent, sparkly, yet full and rich, not metallic nor as sharp as Mirror which is more crisp W shape. Vocal are free of sibilance very well rounded with wide frontal presence and hint of breath in them (for female vocal)
Highlight for now: High unforced resolution, great transparency, natural timbre, excellent imaging
Need more than 5min listen so stay tuned about those, youll see surely a legit hype growing.
Let say my expectation were extremely high and im blown away by both tonality and technicalities, which are better balanced than Mirror in term of overall musicality.

Insane sound value. I hope the legit recognition will take less time than king of technicalities HZsound Mirror.
1651515034303.png

May 2, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #62,714 of 103,611
Mail call! YES. Oooooooh YES. Twas about time after 1 month of waiting, the HZSOUND WAIST DRUM arrive and don't disappoint at all. Well, apart from 2pin connection that i feel isn't very appropriate for bulled shape mini IEM...at least cable is good enough like with HZsound Mirror.
My fear of it being a clone of DQSM Hermit with back vent is gone now, since its like 2 times smaller housing than the Hermit, more like Moondrop Spaceship. Its real open back.
It's third product i test from HZsound and can confirm they have an house target, balanced neutral with focus on imaging and effortless detailing. This time it's hint warmer than Mirror, but more open and wide in soundstage, with more natural and dense timbre and better mids presence, it's really refined and beautifully balanced. Treble is magnificent, sparkly, yet full and rich, not metallic nor as sharp as Mirror which is more crisp W shape. Vocal are free of sibilance very well rounded with wide frontal presence and hint of breath in them (for female vocal)
Highlight for now: High unforced resolution, great transparency, natural timbre, excellent imaging
Need more than 5min listen so stay tuned about those, youll see surely a legit hype growing.
Let say my expectation were extremely high and im blown away by both tonality and technicalities, which are better balanced than Mirror in term of overall musicality.

Insane sound value. I hope the legit recognition will take less time than king of technicalities HZsound Mirror.
1651515034303.png
I need the graph ASAP

May 2, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #62,715 of 103,611
I need the graph ASAP
yeah me too....somebody tell me their one somewhere on FB....on an audio group that compare them to Vesna...cant find it.

they are still blowing my mind right now....with Sony eartips included....connected to Tri Tk2.

those are hint warmer than HZsound mirror, bass isn't as well define yet it have fast slam to it, im listening to fast jazz of Gogopenguin right now...dynamic have really good weight in note impact and again imaging-layering is great, with this holographic charm that was a bit lacking with the Mirror (thinner timbre).

anyway, i will not go hysterical too much...but man. its a very pleasant surprise, wasn't expecting this cohesive near organic yet open, detailed and super well layered musicality. not for basshead for sure, but treble sensitive people will not find those as sharp and peaky as HZsound Mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back