The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #62,686 of 103,665
1651257203383.png

Got the NE4 and the new plates in my ears. Just amazes these guys can tweak a sound using these caps. So the new transparent plate here adds more upper mids and a bit more emphasis to the mid trebles. So these aren't a new version of their neutral plate but more of a different reference plate.

It has been a while since I have been hearing the NE4 but these new plates. My goodness do these inject a new fresh sound on the NE4. This new transparent plate is actually how this one is tuned. It is the most detailed and airy version of all their plates. Reason why they seem to have gone with the clear plate. This actually describes the sound characteristics of the NE4 using this plate. I will post a few pics later but for now. I don't know how many of you reading this actually own the NE4. It took them a while to bring out a new plate for the NE4 but this new plate is most definitely worth it.

Neutral with the cleanest tonality out of all the plates. These plates end up making the NE4 sound like open cans. Fantastic airy clean reference sound from these. So they made good on their promise of more plates on the NE4. Amazes me what these guys can do with 4 high end BAs and how many ways they can tweak them.

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #62,687 of 103,665
At first listen, not overly harsh as it looks but I think if you love your 6 or 6 Pro, I don't think I would spend the extra money on the Max. A Tanya damper may drop the 2k close to the level of Pro. I thought the dip at 5k may have been a coupler artifact but I get it on other tips as well. I think where 6 was a fun set for $20usd, at nearly $50usd, Max needs to be a bit more refined for other genres outside of electronic.

graph (58).png
2022-04-27 10.57.46 - Copy.jpg
2022-04-27 10.59.15 - Copy.jpg
I have received my 6 max yesterday, and I really got to like them. I used Tempotec E44 as a clear transparent source on a bright side for tests and comparisons.

Relative to 6 original and MT300 (I have also 6 pro, but could not much appreciate it), 6 max felt close, somewhat in between, yet different enough.

The bass felt much more capable than that of original 6, yet too much to my liking. I do like MT300 well integrated bass more and my strong biased preference is for the tight fast BA bass.

The treble of 6 max felt more extended and capable than that of original 6 and of MT300 as well, while not as penetrating as of NX7 pro...

Greatly, less timbre issues to my ears with 6 max compared to original 6 and MT300.

The shell is OK (the metal insert is nice, the plastic part is adequate and functional) The shell size and shape should work well for smaller ears. I had to use 14.5 mm tips to get both a good seal and reasonably comfortable fit.

The interchangeability of the cable is nice, suprisingly low resistance of 0.4 Ohm, but the stiffness makes it less versatile and enjoyable for me.

Overall, 6 max felt really nice and capable and well worth their ~$55-$60 ($50 + extra for all cable connectors + shipping); very happy with my purchase :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #62,689 of 103,665
Just got the Thor mjolnir MK2 today. Must admit I'm letting a couple of hours for burn in. First impressions though:

The build quality it's not in par with the last one, the corner bores look sloppy and the whole finish ain't on par with mk1

Sound wise; sub bass has way more presence ootb than mk1, mid bass is way more detailed and has a nice bump which makes it quite appealing, mids are more detailed, THOUGH!!!! there's a peak in the treble around 3k/ 4k. looking at the nozzle it has the same grill that mk1 has, changed it for a moondrop mesh filter and the treble peak got tamed though it left a bit of sub bass out which I'm not comfortable with, will get the og mesh a try later on again but I'm still giving the moondrop mesh sometime on

For 390 bucks (bought it with pre release discount for 360) the iem came with no box, just the linsoul carry case and some thieaudio foams, not exactly what I was looking for. I thought a box would come this time but well... c'est la vie, still not a major let down for me since i already have a ton of boxes.

Og cable is the same as mk1 which is a silver cable from linsoul, though this one feels a bit cheap, changed to my regular 2 pin cable for on the go and tbh it wasn't a night and day change. Yet after a a/ b comparison, soundstage is a bit wider with less hump in the 3k area.

Soundstage is quite average, nothing to be impressed here (this is without any burn in)

Overall, I cannot vogue for this release as much as I did for the first one. Other thing is that i don't like resin shells since i cannot mod anything nor place any kind of dampers behind the drivers or anything alike (IMR's do give me that opportunity and it lets me tune a bunch of extra things in their older models which makes for a more fun experience tunning the sound to my likes)

Will give em a week for the massive driver to burn in, I'm hoping a change in a couple of hours. But so far ootb I'm a bit let down. It is a 1/2 step from it's older brother sound wise, but in the competitive market we are in, it doesn't ring anything that make it impressive. IMO we got something good when you can get something amazing for the same cash
Any update? Mine come middle of next week and I'm super curious.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #62,692 of 103,665
Is CRA+ the same driver as the vanilla?
Not quite sure, they say its "new".
It seems, its technically new. The same superthin membrane but with new housing and magnet
Also apparently they change the inner working of the iem shell for better acoustics.

Minor improvement across the spectrum, which is good... but twice the price.
It seems KZ know CRA SQ could be sold in higher price, so the improve on what they can and then give it a higher price tag.
Still, at $28. decent compact shell, supposedly good sound and interchangable cable (i have no idea why other midfi brand that try to enroach this territory didn't have this).

From several review i read, Chu and CRA is still somewhat in same level but different enough to be complimentary to each other.
Even Pro-Chu Crin noted that in CRA V tuning style, CRA is still the best in the price point.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #62,693 of 103,665
I have received my 6 max yesterday, and I really got to like them. I used Tempotec E44 as a clear transparent source on a bright side for tests and comparisons.

Relative to 6 original and MT300 (I have also 6 pro, but could not much appreciate it), 6 max felt close, somewhat in between, yet different enough.

The bass felt much more capable than that of original 6, yet too much to my liking. I do like MT300 well integrated bass more and my strong biased preference is for the tight fast BA bass.

The treble of 6 max felt more extended and capable than that of original 6 and of MT300 as well, while not as penetrating as of NX7 pro...

Greatly, less timbre issues to my ears with 6 max compared to original 6 and MT300.

The shell is OK (the metal insert is nice, the plastic part is adequate and functional) The shell size and shape should work well for smaller ears. I had to use 14.5 mm tips to get both a good seal and reasonably comfortable fit.

The interchangeability of the cable is nice, suprisingly low resistance of 0.4 Ohm, but the stiffness makes it less versatile and enjoyable for me.

Overall, 6 max felt really nice and capable and well worth their ~$55-$60 ($50 + extra for all cable connectors + shipping); very happy with my purchase :)
I am enjoying the 6 max as well. It is burning in. After 36 hours the bass, which was a bit overpowering to begin with, has become nicely in balance with the rest of the range. This is a very good IEM. Bass is solid and tuneful, somewhat north of neutral, no bleed. The mids are well presented, slightly recessed but becoming more forward with frequency. Treble is very extended, detailed and smooth with excellent levels of detail. Soundstage is very impressive being very wide with good depth and height. Separation and layering are very good, especially with electronic music. At the current price of $39 on Ali Express they are a bargain. Amazing packaging and accessories as well. I think it is as good as the MT300 but slightly different in tonality.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #62,696 of 103,665
Any update? Mine come middle of next week and I'm super curious.
They are growing on me, mids are too much fun and mid bass has improved or at least grow on me, really fun pair with a bit of work imo but yeah, it is an improvement over the first

May 1, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #62,697 of 103,665
The 6 max continues to improve. I have found that they need a lot of power. On high gain on my Xduoo X20 this sounds excellent :

May 1, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #62,698 of 103,665
1651423819865.png
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-ova-sg-01.25823/review/28427/

My first budget level 5 star rating. The more and more I hear them the more I realize these are probably the best sub $50 earphones you can possibly buy for your bucks. Unless someone shows me a phone that does better than these at the price. These are it for me. Not to mention the benchmark for bass at this price range. Superb sound quality from Reecho SG-01 OVA edition. As good as the original SG-01 was this one is even better for $10 more.

May 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #62,699 of 103,665
1651423819865.png
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-ova-sg-01.25823/review/28427/

My first budget level 5 star rating. The more and more I hear them the more I realize these are probably the best sub $50 earphones you can possibly buy for your bucks. Unless someone shows me a phone that does better than these at the price. These are it for me. Not to mention the benchmark for bass at this price range. Superb sound quality from Reecho SG-01 OVA edition. As good as the original SG-01 was this one is even better for $10 more.
Looking forward to my set coming in this week, thanks for whetting my appetite!

May 1, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #62,700 of 103,665
Okay, I just received the new D.T.6 MAX tribrid by SFR a day ago and they are stunning in looks and are a steal for the asking price! And I can reassure you, they DO NOT belong and have no business competing at such a low price of only 299 RMB ($47 US dollars). After just briefly listening to them and the package and accessories that come with it, I'm sure they are going to be a force to be reckoned with! My review will go up within a weeks time, so be on the look out and prepare to be surprised on the sound quality!...Check out some of his websites PIC's below.:point_down:

1648897315318 (3).jpg1648920315400 (3).jpgInkedInkedO1CN01wRWXq31ESnlABJoDr_!!125780351_LI.jpg1648920315500.jpgO1CN01B3gylK1ESnl4hE1As_!!125780351.jpg *Courtesy of SFR for the D.T.6 MAX

I will post my review after a weeks time with my own PIC's...

-Clear :grinning::thumbsup:
AAAaaaaand ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back