The discovery thread!
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #60,196 of 99,844
I find the iFi Hip-DAC an excellent sounding source for streaming Tidal and Amazon HD and don't have a problem with battery life. Sad to see very good sounding amps all being tarnished with the same brush. I really like my Hip-Dac.
Your liking the hip-dac has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't offer anywhere near the battery life that was advertised when it was released (I see now that they changed the declared 12 hours down to 8 at some point).
But out of curiosity before I drop this subject and stop derailing this thread: does your saying that you don't have a problem with the hip-dac's battery life mean that you are actually getting the advertised operating time out of it or that the untrue declaration doesn't bother you?

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #60,197 of 99,844
Your liking the hip-dac has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't offer anywhere near the battery life that was advertised when it was released (I see now that they changed the declared 12 hours down to 8 at some point).
But out of curiosity before I drop this subject and stop derailing this thread: does your saying that you don't have a problem with the hip-dac's battery life mean that you are actually getting the advertised operating time out of it or that the untrue declaration doesn't bother you?

I checked my Hip-Dac when I bought it and the figures were close. I'm not going to check it again. I use it all the time and don't have to worry about battery time. It has a problem, a different problem....it's very tricky to stack. How long battery life do you get on your Hip-Dac?

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #60,198 of 99,844
I checked my Hip-Dac when I bought it and the figures were close. I'm not going to check it again. I use it all the time and don't have to worry about battery time. It has a problem, a different problem....it's very tricky to stack. How long battery life do you get on your Hip-Dac?
When I tested it with different IEMs and with Xbass and Power Match enabled I was getting between 5 hours 50 minutes and 6 hours 40 minutes of continuous play time, so nowhere near 8 hours, never mind the 12 hours they advertised when I got it.

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #60,199 of 99,844
When I tested it with different IEMs and with Xbass and Power Match enabled I was getting between 5 hours 50 minutes and 6 hours 40 minutes of continuous play time, so nowhere near 8 hours, never mind the 12 hours they advertised when I got it.
I don't use Xbass on mine. Using it 3.5mm I got about 10 hours. Using it 4.4mm I don't need XBass or Power Match for 90% of my IEM's and Headphones, and got about 8 hours. If I do have both Power Match and Xbass on it is probably less. Although I haven't recently checked it, the battery seems to last a long time. I remember there were a few complaints that if the Hip-Dac was unused for some time the battery would drain. Even with periods of non use my battery keeps it's charge. Mind you I do find in nearly all Chinese made stuff, especially IEM's, there is a relatively high unit variability. Maybe Apple and Sony have enough high level tolerance controls on components and top QC controls to have consistent products. I did have an iFi Ear Buddy I had to bin, it was so poorly made. When I bought my original FiiO X1, X3, and others, battery life was always under stated battery time.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #60,200 of 99,844
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #60,201 of 99,844
Hello everyone.

This model reminds me of the early Chi-Fi of my origins, when testing each new model was exciting. Here is my humble opinion about the Reecho SG-01.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/reecho-sg-01.25307/reviews#review-26840

Reecho SG-01 18.jpg

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #60,202 of 99,844
Simphonio RX10 attract me..

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #60,203 of 99,844

Attachments

• 20210919_162139_HDR.jpg
    20210919_162139_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #60,204 of 99,844
Honestly I would wait for the new APTX Lossless codec before buying a bluetooth dongle,
Yup, i wanna see how far Qualcomm can take it.
But it has LDAC, which at a high bitrate is excellent. Having used ATPX HD in many ways for years and LDAC too, LDAC is definitely superior to my ears. Lossless APTX will need headphones with new chips and pretty good Bluetooth conditions and aerials.
LDAC is possibly the best sounding bluetooth codec now, but it does drains the battery more that APTX-HD and have shittier connection than APTX-HD.

BTR5 have crap antenna makes LDAC connection even worse. I put btr5 in my right jacket pocket, hold my phone with my left hand, then i do slow morning jog, and somehow it can have connection issues.
I simply want a decent alternative and see how far Qualcomm could bring the audio quality, battery life, and connection strength with its new hardware and codec.

Hopefully with proper competition, we'll get a much better LDAC.2

---

And btw KZ EDX Pro early impression is popping out in youtube and it seems a decent set.
"A smoother DQ6 tuning" as one headfier state.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #60,205 of 99,844
Hey guys! Cross posting here for people who aren't subscribed to the Tanchjim thread.

I received Tanchjim Prism this week and finally got to spend some good time with it today to jot down my OOTB first impressions. If you haven’t come across it yet, Prism is Tanchjim's new 1DD+2BA $599 flagship. It has a 4th generation DMT dynamic driver with high polymer carbon nanotube diaphragm and a Sonion dual balanced armature driver. It has a Vibration Suppression Metamaterial Back Cavity design which is based on the Helmholtz resonant cavity principle. What it basically does is absorb the reflections inside the cavity so that the transmitted sound is pure and natural. They’ve also designed a guided leakage channel port specifically to match the back cavity, which as per Tanchjim helps in managing the sound pressure in the inner cavity and optimises it by appropriately increasing the atmosphere flux.

Fit wise, it fits me much better than Oxygen and I get a nice, fairly snug and comfortable fit with the Large size stock ear tips. Sound wise, I have to say that I’m quite impressed, especially with what Tanchjim has achieved with just 1DD and 2BAs. The first thing that impressed me right off the bat was how open, clean, wide and deep its soundstage sounds. A lot of good IEMs are able to do width fairly well but not depth as nicely. I don't say this lightly but Prism does both in an interesting manner which enables a fairly holographic listening experience, not something I've experienced a lot with IEMs in this price range. Tuning wise, Prism traces the Harman 2019 Target curve till 5kHz extremely closely, if not perfectly, but deviates from it in the treble region. Prism has a nice Harman style 7-8dB bass boost; very good bass timbre, punch, impact as well as rumble. Prism has a fairly linear and neutral lower-midrange, forward upper-midrange with around 10dB pinna gain, nice and smooth lower-treble tuning and a very nice tasteful north of neutral upper-treble boost, which is responsible for its open and airy signature. Tonality wise, I find Prism sounding natural, well balanced as well as exciting, all at the same time. It has really good technical capability too, especially spatial imaging and separation. It comes with 2 sets of ear tips - Treble and Bass. They sound close but I personally prefer the Treble ones, though I don’t really perceive them sounding much brighter than the Bass tips.

Kindly note that these are my first impressions and my opinion might change over time as I take Prism through its paces with extensive testing and comparisons with other IEMs in my collection. With that said, I doubt they'll change that drastically. Anyway, I'll let you all know if I have something substantial to report. Otherwise, keep an eye out for the full review, to be published soon on Twister6 and Head-fi!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #60,206 of 99,844
New Fiio E10K-TC edition. Intro level dac/amp from Fiio.
DSC08943.JPG

For folks the review earphones. You need to seriously consider getting one of these. Here is why. The E10K-TC is the least colored, transparent linearly tuned dac/amp I have heard for any source. Why does that matter? If you want to hear what your IEMs and cans sound like without the source adding its own flavor. You use a Fiio E10K-TC and it will tell you exactly how much bass mids and treble your IEMs and Cans have.

If you want the best sounding dac/amp in this price range from Fiio. Go for the K3 but if you want something you can actually use to evaluate earphones and cans. I prefer the E10K-TC.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-e10k-tc.25425/reviews#review-26845

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #60,207 of 99,844
Hey guys! Cross posting here for people who aren't subscribed to the Tanchjim thread.

I received Tanchjim Prism this week and finally got to spend some good time with it today to jot down my OOTB first impressions. If you haven’t come across it yet, Prism is Tanchjim's new 1DD+2BA $599 flagship. It has a 4th generation DMT dynamic driver with high polymer carbon nanotube diaphragm and a Sonion dual balanced armature driver. It has a Vibration Suppression Metamaterial Back Cavity design which is based on the Helmholtz resonant cavity principle. What it basically does is absorb the reflections inside the cavity so that the transmitted sound is pure and natural. They’ve also designed a guided leakage channel port specifically to match the back cavity, which as per Tanchjim helps in managing the sound pressure in the inner cavity and optimises it by appropriately increasing the atmosphere flux.

Fit wise, it fits me much better than Oxygen and I get a nice, fairly snug and comfortable fit with the Large size stock ear tips. Sound wise, I have to say that I’m quite impressed, especially with what Tanchjim has achieved with just 1DD and 2BAs. The first thing that impressed me right off the bat was how open, clean, wide and deep its soundstage sounds. A lot of good IEMs are able to do width fairly well but not depth as nicely. I don't say this lightly but Prism does both in an interesting manner which enables a fairly holographic listening experience, not something I've experienced a lot with IEMs in this price range. Tuning wise, Prism traces the Harman 2019 Target curve till 5kHz extremely closely, if not perfectly, but deviates from it in the treble region. Prism has a nice Harman style 7-8dB bass boost; very good bass timbre, punch, impact as well as rumble. Prism has a fairly linear and neutral lower-midrange, forward upper-midrange with around 10dB pinna gain, nice and smooth lower-treble tuning and a very nice tasteful north of neutral upper-treble boost, which is responsible for its open and airy signature. Tonality wise, I find Prism sounding natural, well balanced as well as exciting, all at the same time. It has really good technical capability too, especially spatial imaging and separation. It comes with 2 sets of ear tips - Treble and Bass. They sound close but I personally prefer the Treble ones, though I don’t really perceive them sounding much brighter than the Bass tips.

Kindly note that these are my first impressions and my opinion might change over time as I take Prism through its paces with extensive testing and comparisons with other IEMs in my collection. With that said, I doubt they'll change that drastically. Anyway, I'll let you all know if I have something substantial to report. Otherwise, keep an eye out for the full review, to be published soon on Twister6 and Head-fi!

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how the Prism sounds compare to the Moondrop Illumination. Their frequency responses that crinacle measured was quite similar, but the Prism's aesthetics is far superior not to mention it also costs less.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #60,208 of 99,844
Yup, i wanna see how far Qualcomm can take it.

LDAC is possibly the best sounding bluetooth codec now, but it does drains the battery more that APTX-HD and have shittier connection than APTX-HD.

BTR5 have crap antenna makes LDAC connection even worse. I put btr5 in my right jacket pocket, hold my phone with my left hand, then i do slow morning jog, and somehow it can have connection issues.
I simply want a decent alternative and see how far Qualcomm could bring the audio quality, battery life, and connection strength with its new hardware and codec.

Hopefully with proper competition, we'll get a much better LDAC.2

---

And btw KZ EDX Pro early impression is popping out in youtube and it seems a decent set.
"A smoother DQ6 tuning" as one headfier state.
In Bluetooth, antenna design play very important role.

With my LG V20 as BT player (note LG V20 only has BT4.2, not 5 yet), the max distance vary between receivers:
  • TWS Omthing Air free, AAC, open air max 5 metres, max across 1 wall about 4 metres. And can only across 1 wall. (Red Brick wall 15cm)
  • Qudelix 5K, doesn't matter codec even with LDAC 660Kbps, open air more than 10 metres. 8 metres across 3 layers of brickwall: Put 5K on my bed in bed room, I tested it from terrace of my house, and that across two restrooms, thus 3 layers of brickwall
  • TWS Oppo Enco X, AAC (only codec I can use with), can pass 2 layers of brickwall at about 4 meters distance. (Not really testing it, juat casual use.)

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #60,209 of 99,844
Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how the Prism sounds compare to the Moondrop Illumination. Their frequency responses that crinacle measured was quite similar, but the Prism's aesthetics is far superior not to mention it also costs less.
Hey! Sorry, I haven't heard the Moondrop Illumination myself but based on graphs, they're quite different as Illumination has a much smaller bass boost and will be significantly darker sounding in comparison because it doesn't have as much gain post 9kHz, in mid-treble or upper-treble. But well, someone who has both will be able to give you a much better answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back