The discovery thread!
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #5,897 of 101,284
So I just ordered my pair of CKN50s from Amazon Japan. Here is what is interesting. I noticed the dollar is gaining on the Japanese Yen in value. So what does this mean? I just bought my CKN50 for $38.97. The price was so good I ended up throwing in another item that I will disclose when I get them. But for now. For guys that are willing to try out Tenso. It is a win win.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,898 of 101,284
Quote:
Edit: holy crap! I just checked Canada Post tracking, and instead of the usual "cannot be found" message, it popped up and is in my town! We have been saved!

Ok, it's here, and it just started working once I plugged it into my laptop. The only headphones I've tried so far are my Uptowns. Without the ele dac, I would often max out the volume at 100% on my laptop to drive them, so I was also using the E11, which makes the Uptowns sound a bit darker (they already lean towards the dark side a bit I find). With the ele dac however, the volume sounds about the same loudness at 60% instead of 100%, so the ele dac definitely has some amping going on, which for these Uptowns is great. And wow, it is really making these uptowns sound good - they sound a bit brighter now and really sound awesome. I don't think there will be any sense in using my E11 with this laptop+eledac+uptown combo, because I don't think it can sound much better.

Can't wait to try the S500's and my other iem's on the ele dac.

Dsnuts: awesome discovery! Thanks.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5,899 of 101,284
Glad they finally got to you my friend..One thing I noticed about new dacs in general be it my Fire Phoenix or the Ele here. They seem to be a bit on the bright side of sound at first. It is a good idea to let your music just run through them for full potential of the sounds out of them.

Just hook up your Ele and let it run through music all day. The more I read about new DACs and Amps. They also need some burn in to fully bring out the sound.. I noticed on the Leckerton portable Dac/Amp.. Danny let me borrow sounds great but to my surprise when I hooked it up to my optical box it sounded bright and was a bit harsh. For something that cost $300ish this is the last thing you want to hear.

The good news is I found out Danny has been using the amp portion hooked up to his daps but not so much the DAC portion hooked up to his mac. So the dac section was actually like out of box new. I also noticed this on my Fire Phoenix as well the first time I hooked them up to my PC.

I have been using his Leckerton dac/ amp to burn in his CKN50 for him and I am happy to report his Leckerton sounds tremendous right now as well as the CKN50.. So long story short. Keep using your Ele dac to get them to break in. They will be a bit bright on open box.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5,900 of 101,284
Grr! I don't what my post office is doing with the ELE. Tomorrow will be 58 days for me. I thought I'd be getting it today, but it landedupbeing a replacement computer mouse - I managed to get both the original and this replacement in less time that it's taken for the ELE to arrive.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #5,901 of 101,284
My CKN50s came in. Cost me $60 after shipping. The loop feature works very well, the earpieces stay in my ears comfortably. Bass is very good. Sub bass is strong, great definition, texture and fullness. The mids are good too, good detail and fairly smooth. The mids are nice and clear but they're a little recessed behind the bass and highs, and can be sibilant. I have a problem with the highs too. My XBA-30s might have spoiled me with their amazing highs, lol. But the CKN50's highs are definitely forward and I find it a bit unbearable. Sometimes I have to turn down the volume. Overall though they are pretty good, especially for the price.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5,902 of 101,284
Yes they can be sibilant. I have been burning in Danny pair and the highs have improved greatly. I would throw your best burn in tracks and burn them in.

Ya the key here is you have to give them a chance to settle in to their sound. Micro HD drivers I am convinced are very stiff on open box. I have a good 40 hours of full blast Drum n Bass on Dannys Pair and while the highs are still forward in the mix they show much more control and sound really nice using his Leckerton. I have them in my ears as I type.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,904 of 101,284
They will improve not only in the highs but the entire sound with burn in and as to be expected these aren't gonna be better than your XBA-30 but I think they will surprise you once you get them nice n loose. They sound marvelous out of Dannys Leckerton amp I am using right now.

I think AT tuned these to be a bit bright so they settle in nicely once they break in.. These sound even better than when I first heard them and did the comparo against the FXDs right now..

Oh snap I forgot to mention. I am actually using the tips from my JVC earphones on here. I don't like how the AT tips restrict. Sounds optimal with wider bore tips and in this case the tips that are on your JVCs. Try em out.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #5,905 of 101,284
Well, while my FXZ200 are on massive burn-in, I receive my new BTG-Audio Starlight cable for my V6. Oh boy!! So that will occupy my ears (and the TDK BA200) while the FXZ200s take it's burn-in pounding.

But like Dsnuts, the Amazon.jpn bug has caught me worse than the flu bug going around the states here. So, I also ordered the ATH-CN50, but in addition I ordered a new technology earphone that seems to be getting a lot of rave (actually Currawong raved about them along with the FXZ200 at the electronic show he went to in Japan). Yes, I ordered the TDK MA600, (aka: magnetic armature instead of balance armature). It's been getting some good reviews from what I can tell and basically gives the armature driver or more dynamic (yet BA detailed) like sound. Currawong stated heard the MA700, but I couldn't find that model. The magnetic armature seems to be the MA600, so maybe the number changed. I wouldn't be surprised if Dsnuts ordered these too. I was reading some Japanese website where the writer stated he was surprised that TDK isn't selling this great sounding new technology at more of a premium price. So, like with the S500s, I put myself out as the guinea pig for you guys and will let you know when I get them (which could be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at the speed Tenso is going in sending these products out).

Really, I must get the V7007 and ASG-2 and stop! Happy listening (yeah, I'm also thinking about being the guinea pig for the AKG k374 ... We'll see). Oh boy! 

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,906 of 101,284
Quote:
Well, while my FXZ200 are on massive burn-in, I receive my new BTG-Audio Starlight cable for my V6. Oh boy!! So that will occupy my ears (and the TDK BA200) while the FXZ200s take it's burn-in pounding.

But like Dsnuts, the Amazon.jpn bug has caught me worse than the flu bug going around the states here. So, I also ordered the ATH-CN50, but in addition I ordered a new technology earphone that seems to be getting a lot of rave (actually Currawong raved about them along with the FXZ200 at the electronic show he went to in Japan). Yes, I ordered the TDK MA600, (aka: magnetic armature instead of balance armature). It's been getting some good reviews from what I can tell and basically gives the armature driver or more dynamic (yet BA detailed) like sound. Currawong stated heard the MA700, but I couldn't find that model. The magnetic armature seems to be the MA600, so maybe the number changed. I wouldn't be surprised if Dsnuts ordered these too. I was reading some Japanese website where the writer stated he was surprised that TDK isn't selling this great sounding new technology at more of a premium price. So, like with the S500s, I put myself out as the guinea pig for you guys and will let you know when I get them (which could be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at the speed Tenso is going in sending these products out).

Really, I must get the V7007 and ASG-2 and stop! Happy listening (yeah, I'm also thinking about being the guinea pig for the AKG k374 ... We'll see). Oh boy! 

You're a brave soul ericp, appreciate all your hard work and hard cash spent. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #5,907 of 101,284
Quote:
You're a brave soul ericp, appreciate all your hard work and hard cash spent. 
beerchug.gif

Well sfwalcer I expect you to participate in my hot sidewalk sales when I need to sell some of these so that I have a place to live...lol. Actually I only bought earphones because I won some money in a sports bet. lol. So I'm trying to be a little frugal. Ha!

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #5,908 of 101,284
Nicely done ericp. I look forward to what you have to say about them earphones..There was a couple of earphones I was looking at today when I ordered the CKN50s. Amazon Japan is not good for me as there are so many earphones and headphones I have never heard about or seen before. Not good..I was looking into them TDKs myself I opted to get the one thing I had my eyes on every time I log onto Amazon Japan. A little surprise I will do a write up for. For everyone on this thread. If they are worthy might have to open a new one..

The CKN50 as I type is a very surprising earphone. When fully burned. They remind me of another AT phone I recently bought.

As many earphones and headphones I own I love it when you don't spend much money for greatness. These CKN50 for what I bought them for..Has a magnificent sound..

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #5,909 of 101,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I ordered the TDK MA600, (aka: magnetic armature instead of balance armature). It's been getting some good reviews from what I can tell and basically gives the armature driver or more dynamic (yet BA detailed) like sound.

Is that another name for the moving armature the Ortofon e-Q5 uses? Your description of it is very similar, a BA with a dynamic driver sound.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #5,910 of 101,284
Quote:
Well sfwalcer I expect you to participate in my hot sidewalk sales when I need to sell some of these so that I have a place to live...lol. Actually I only bought earphones because I won some money in a sports bet. lol. So I'm trying to be a little frugal. Ha!

Don't worry man, i'll be the 1st one inline to low ball you. hoho
tongue_smile.gif

I wish i am lucky enough to win my sports bets, good thing mines are like $5-$10 bucks.
biggrin.gif
Man how much you be betting??? Buying all these gear with your sports bets winnings BALLA!!! LITERALLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back