The discovery thread!
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #5,911 of 101,282
Quote:

As many earphones and headphones I own I love it when you don't spend much money for greatness. These CKN50 for what I bought them for..Has a magnificent sound..

This cheap person likes the sound of that! Looking forward to your impressions :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #5,912 of 101,282
Looking forward to the impressions on the TDK's ericp.  I've been close to pulling the trigger on all three models but looks like you're doing a good job for us so I'll keep waiting some more.  

p.s.  If you need your stuff burned in, just send it to Ds.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5,913 of 101,282
Quote:

Is that another name for the moving armature the Ortofon e-Q5 uses? Your description of it is very similar, a BA with a dynamic driver sound.

Well MA stands for magnetic armature, and from the limited research I could find on it, it's suppose to be a new technology developed by TDK, but the magnet armature does work in some ways like the moving armatures, from what I could ascertain (and it does take air or uses air in some ways like the moving armature. So I don't think it's a stretch to think that the technologies are close and similar. The articles I read stated that the sound produced could price the earphones hundreds of dollars about it's under $100 price. We'll soon hear.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5,914 of 101,282
Quote:
Looking forward to the impressions on the TDK's ericp.  I've been close to pulling the trigger on all three models but looks like you're doing a good job for us so I'll keep waiting some more.  

p.s.  If you need your stuff burned in, just send it to Ds.  
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

What three models DannyBai. The new TDK balanced armature? And is there another I've missed?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5,916 of 101,282
Quote:
You already have one in the IE800, then there's the MA600 and MA700 I believe.  

Okay, as of now there is not MA700 (only the MA600), but there is a BA700..

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #5,918 of 101,282
So I just got the ELE in today. First impression: it's awesome! This is the first time I'v ever used a DAC or amp for headphones so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  It DEFINITELY amplifies the sound even though it's only a DAC. All my headphones have doubled in volume, so it works great with Sony IEMs as I find all the ones I've heard a little too quiet.

This little DAC goes perfectly with the MH1Cs. It's like they were meant to be together, and if you have a problem with the volume this definitely amps it up. With the S500s this thing is fantastic, it hasn't been burned in at all yet, but the first thing that stuck out to me were the vocals. They sound lively and even more real. The bass also sticks out more, but is more refined at the same time. It also brings them to more of a neutral sound than a warm sound, although there is still a little warmth there.

That's all I have so far and these are my impressions on open box, so it is all subject to change.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #5,919 of 101,282
Information on the TDK MA600

http://www.tdk-media.jp/tjbbe01/bbe31300.html

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5,920 of 101,282
Hey glad you guys are finally getting your Eles. Not bad for less than a $20 spot no?

Hey ericp what ever happened to them Maxell dual dynamic iems.? The one impression I read doesn't seem all that impressive is what I am reading..

I suppose just because there are 2 drivers really don't mean they are gonna be 2 times the sound quality.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5,921 of 101,282
Quote:

When fully burned. They remind me of another AT phone I recently bought.

As many earphones and headphones I own I love it when you don't spend much money for greatness. These CKN50 for what I bought them for..Has a magnificent sound..

Speaking of which, the local audition didn't turn out so well, I'm 100% certain the pair I heard wasn't burned in at all, the 1000 were much better but the 2000 was to die for
biggrin.gif

Luckily, I remembered your advise "5x the price but not 5x the sound" !    ...so ordered a pair of them 900
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #5,922 of 101,282
Good man Ghost. They sound almost compressed on open box. If that is what you heard that is how they sound on open box. Some proper burn in and they shine like madd. 

Well Danny it looks like Ghost beat you to the punch on the AD900X purchase.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #5,923 of 101,282
Quote:
Hey glad you guys are finally getting your Eles. Not bad for less than a $20 spot no?

Hey ericp what ever happened to them Maxell dual dynamic iems.? The one impression I read doesn't seem all that impressive is what I am reading..

I suppose just because there are 2 drivers really don't mean they are gonna be 2 times the sound quality.

Yeah Dsnuts, I haven't read enough good impressions on the dual driver Maxwell or the hybrid to be interested in purchasing it yet. Plus it will take a lot to beat the best dual-dynamic driver I've heard so far, the TDK IE800. 

I tell you though, one IEM that it's hard to find any press on still has my attention, the AKG K374/K375. I'm so close but i'm fighting the temptation! lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,924 of 101,282
Quote:

Well Danny it looks like Ghost beat you to the punch on the AD900X purchase.

So, those are about $220? And here I thought they were going to be cheap lol!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5,925 of 101,282
I know I haven't mentioned anything about the AD900X on this thread but it is my opinion of course but if you guys have never tried an open can. You must try or own at least one open can to understand what openness does for your music. These are the best open cans I have and they also happen to be a new headphone from Audio Technica.. You guys get to read about these here because I was the first person to buy these unheard. I took a chance on them as you guys know I am a big fan of Audio Technica. The AD900X is

-Very easy to drive
-Marvelous Stage, expansive
-Detailed yet very controlled
-Balanced to a -T-
-Grunt when called for, I think even Grado guys would be impressed.
-Bass when called for
-Vocals will give you goose bumps
-Physically light and non fatiguing in any way or form
-Extremely comfortable
-With the right source projects a very 3D sound.
-Not overly forward or recessed in any part of the sound
-Plays all my tacks stunningly
-Because of their detailed sound and stage. I am willing to bet will be one of the best cans for gaming possible. Will try them out with some soon.

Seriously for what I payed for? Lol. Does it get any better? I feel I hit the headphone jackpot lotto with these. These sell in ebay for $300 plus they sell on Amazon Japan for $192 right now. Freakishly great sounding cans.

On a side note. The CKN50 fully burned in share some similarities to these AD900X cans. Which surprised me today when I was listening to them..

@Wayne the CKN50 microHD earphones are the cheaper earphone version of them I suppose. But once you hear that expansive full sized headphone sound and stage it will be your gateway to higher end sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back