The discovery thread!
Jul 14, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #57,841 of 100,024
Hype train wreck! At least not many passengers on this one yet.
Not to mention they do have quite the variety, their graphs are at least close to accurate, and you can gauge how much risk you're accepting with how the BAs will sound by whether or not they name the brand and series of drivers they're using. If they don't name them, they're probably Bellsing, and you run a greater risk of encountering that annoying BA timbre. Bellsing drivers can sound fantastic, but it's much less of a guarantee compared to Sonion or Knowles.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #57,842 of 100,024
the H3 was a bass cannon. The A3 was not a bass cannon (but still had amble bass without the veil) but the detail retrieval and resolution were just average. Quite underwhelming, and coming from the H3, I was so excited to get them for my birthday. I now have the XBA300, and with balanced output, they are very good, and they are quite good through 3.5mm, BUT I warn treble sensitives to avoid, as they do possess very BA type highs in extension and timbre.
graph (2).png

The A3 seems to have a teeny bit more bass and they've leveled out some of the lower treble dips with some elevation to the treble extension.
graph (3).png

I, of course, love the significant bass gains that the N3 made over the H3, and the treble is much less peaky, which is also fantastic. The treble extension seems quite significant as well.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #57,843 of 100,024
Wait wait wait..so which is it? Are the Lofty's treble impaired or are they treble monsters. They can't be both ways. I owned the NM2+, and those were godsmacked with treble, to the point where those offended even my very treble toleration. So either the graphs are full of s--t on the Lofty's, or the reviews are full of s--t. Again, it can't go both ways, folks.
The graphs show that they have a lot of lower treble (3kHz~5kHz) but a big scoop after that in the mid-treble. The peak at 4.2 kHz is probably triggering many people’s treble sensitivity while the drop-off afterwards likely leads to a lack of sparkle and possibly air.

1626243404937.png

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #57,844 of 100,024
The graphs show that they have a lot of lower treble (3kHz~5kHz) but a big scoop after that in the mid-treble. The peak at 4.2 kHz is probably triggering many people’s treble sensitivity while the drop-off afterwards likely leads to a lack of sparkle and possibly air.

1626243404937.png
That graph tuning is... interesting...

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #57,845 of 100,024
That graph tuning is... interesting...
Well, there are a lot of people who like the NF NM2, so I guess there's a market for everything. Everyone has different ears, after all. I'm just glad they sent out review samples so I wouldn't be tempted to purchase one and be disappointed, since that graph is quite frightening to me.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #57,846 of 100,024
Well, there are a lot of people who like the NF NM2, so I guess there's a market for everything. Everyone has different ears, after all. I'm just glad they sent out review samples so I wouldn't be tempted to purchase one and be disappointed, since that graph is quite frightening to me.
Agreed, their tuning is based on this kind of songs, soft mellow female voice,
need a forward upper mid tuning to shine,
and there are already a plenty amount of bass present in the mix itself,
so they lower the bass tuning on the tranduser,

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #57,847 of 100,024
Wait wait wait..so which is it? Are the Lofty's treble impaired or are they treble monsters. They can't be both ways. I owned the NM2+, and those were godsmacked with treble, to the point where those offended even my very treble toleration. So either the graphs are full of s--t on the Lofty's, or the reviews are full of s--t. Again, it can't go both ways, folks.

Lofty is upper-mids forward but is not fatiguing. Graphs show that NM2+ has a lot more treble than Lofty. When you switch between the two, they don't strike you as similar sounding at all. I can listen only to specific, darker, music genres with the NM2+ but anything goes with the Lofty. Lofty is much closer in overall tonality to the Astrotec Volans than it is to the NM2+ as Volans and Lofty are both non-fatiguing upper-mid forward sets whereas NM2+ is a bright set.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #57,850 of 100,024
Looks like these IEMs are tuned for Asian Pop music where they need that shimmer in upper mids. Many would find them bright or fatiguing especially the treble sensitive folks.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #57,851 of 100,024

You seem damn interested by the Lofty with all these graphs comparos you pull. Is this the newer HE03 AL or the older HE03? Asking because I have the latter and, although I've not listened to it in a very long time, I don't seem to remember it sounding anywhere close to the Lofty. It felt very bland sounding and boring, something the Lofty certainly isn't.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #57,852 of 100,024
You seem damn interested by the Lofty with all these graphs comparos you pull. Is this the newer HE03 AL or the older HE03? Asking because I have the latter and, although I've not listened to it in a very long time, I don't seem to remember it sounding anywhere close to the Lofty. It felt very bland sounding and boring, something the Lofty certainly isn't.
No idea which HE03 it is (assuming it is the newer version though).

Only reason I even bother looking at the Lofty is due to its claim of being a "pure beryllium" iem.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #57,853 of 100,024
Looks like these IEMs are tuned for Asian Pop music where they need that shimmer in upper mids. Many would find them bright or fatiguing especially the treble sensitive folks.

One may think so on viewing graphs or even initial listen but the fact is that, as with the Astrotec Volans, I can listen to them at rather high volume for long periods of time without any fatigue surprisingly and no residual ear ringing either when I stop listening, YMMV.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #57,854 of 100,024
No idea which HE03 it is (assuming it is the newer version though).

Only reason I even bother looking at the Lofty is due to its claim of being a "pure beryllium" iem.

Well, if you're wondering whether they could be some giant killer dynamic technically because they supposedly sport pure Be drivers, you can rest assured they aren't.

The only earphone I have that I regard as a true TOTL is the Turii and the Lofty doesn't even remotely touch it but I think the Lofty is a very nice single dynamic set at its price point so far.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #57,855 of 100,024
It looks like @CK Moustache did a review of them a while back and didn't find their performance to be worthwhile, mostly because the driver wasn't ideally suited for treble performance or it just wasn't tuned properly for that application. It does look like a strong contender if the rear chamber is ported to act as a sub-bass and bass driver in a hybrid config. I think the Dunu EST112 uses a larger driver that they based off what they learned with the Titan 6. Though I have heard some complaints that the EST112 could stand to have more texture in its sub-bass and bass performance, so maybe they ended up making the driver too large or the diaphragm too heavy with the two-sided beryllium coating. I don't really know, and I can't fit them in my ears anyway, so there's no point in me considering purchasing them, even if their cable is excellent.

The main reason why I don't rate the Titan 6 high is their bass quality/reproduction, as quoted below; it just sounds as if the driver's mass were too high wherefore it just lingers around and sounds blunted; quite weird and unnatural - the tuning itself is okay although not entirely perfect/ideal/natural (still okay in the price range/category, although I'd personally take other IEMs over the Titan 6 in terms of tuning). Really, there are so many other comparably priced (DD, hybrid, single-BA, multi-BA) in-ears that I'd personally choose over the Titan 6, including the Titan 1/3/5 (that are all tuned peakier/splashier/sharper/less natural in the treble, but have "something" to them and are superior when it comes to bass quality).

Resolution:

The Titan 6s’ treble is on the softer side in terms of definition but still with decent detail retrieval and yet clean note separation.

The in-ears’ midrange is truly its positive highlight, as it is really nicely layered, detailed and reproduces fine details very well (high speech intelligibility). What’s really notable is however how “layered” it appears subjectively – really something that sounds very appealing (comparable to the Etymotic ER2SEs’ and ER2XRs’ layering, however those two carry this perceived sound attribute over their entire frequency range and therefore do it “better” than the Titan 6), and is a nice feature that the other Titan series in-ears don’t have to my ears.

When it comes to bassy or bass-heavy in-ears' bass performance, I demand a reasonably high quality, nimbleness and control – unfortunately, the Titan 6 clearly disappoint in this regard. While their lows aren’t really soft or slow sounding per se (they are a bit soft, though, but not to the extent of being overly so), their bass quality isn’t very high; it just rumbles but doesn’t have any real definition or details.
The control is actually quite decent, nonetheless the bass sounds fairly one-noted, not really layered and just doesn’t feel “right” (there are very bassy single- and multi-driver in-ears in comparable price ranges that perform so much better when it comes to technical bass delivery (e.g. the AAW Nebula One and Nebula 2, Echobox Audio Finder X1, FiiO FH1, Shure SE215m+SPE, iBasso IT01 and IT01 v2); the Titan 6s’ bass, on the other hand, falls rather into the category of my Sennheiser IE 80 (not really the softness, but the lack of details), Trinity Audio Engineering Delta V-II (the same as for my Sennheiser) or the MEE audio Pinnacle P1 (yup, in their bass delivery, the DUNUs’ technical performance appears to be really similar to the latter that already left me quite disappointed in terms of bass quality (one-noted, lack of layering, not much definition or details despite not sounding really soft or slow per se))).
To me, it sounds as if the driver’s mass were just too high (or over-damped), resulting in the attack not appearing to be the fastest, which leads to a lack of differentiation and definition, and a blunt, dull appearing rendering of the bass. This still sounds well with slower bass lines (nice slam and lingering of the lower notes) but not so well with faster ones at all, and sounds really bad with tracks that have fast, layered bass lines.
Thinking this may be a result of the driver not being able to handle the strong elevation is unfortunately a wrong assumption, as even when both vents are blocked (which leads to the bass to become flat and only mildly lifted), the bass quality is still not great and remains about the same (fairly one-noted rumble without much layering, details or differentiation).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back