The discovery thread!
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #57,811 of 101,403
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #57,812 of 101,403
I was gonna buy gt12 but I see that I need hold on for a while.

I'll wait for more reviews...
Well, Vortex likes the GT12:

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #57,813 of 101,403
GK10 but the SG-01 has a better sense of clairity due to more upper mid presentation. Stage is roughly very similar actually between the two otherwise the GK10 is the more technical earphone. SG-01 sounds a touch more airy for mids but the GK10 sounds more airy for trebles .

For you ace I would get the GK10. I think your gonna appreciate how they sound especilly for the little money.

GK10 sounds a bit rough out of the box especially the treble area sounds a bit brittle. Sound kinda fills out after some run in.
SG-01 sounds more smoother more fluid after some time.

I got word GK10s are flying off the shelves. Lol!
I think I'll get the GK10 Pro when released. Currently will target the QT9 Mk2.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #57,816 of 101,403
You're right. I removed the clear adhesive behind the metalic filter and it sounds more clear. Imaging got better.

I was going through my cables and finally found the perfect match for Aria. Kbear 5n upocc occ cable.

Aria sounds much better now. The scene also got deeper. I will stick with Aria for some time before jumping into Summer.

Edit: I should also note that I have driver flex on the right side. Even though I'm using foam tips and not putting pressure on them, I still hear this weird clicking driver flex. I'll try ignore it. I'll try...
Mine Aria with KBEAR Warmth cable:
Something went wrong, pictures below :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #57,817 of 101,403
Mine Aria with KBEAR Warmth cable:

Aria 02.jpg

Aria 01.jpg

Aria 03.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #57,818 of 101,403
GK10 but the SG-01 has a better sense of clairity due to more upper mid presentation. Stage is roughly very similar actually between the two otherwise the GK10 is the more technical earphone. SG-01 sounds a touch more airy for mids but the GK10 sounds more airy for trebles .

For you ace I would get the GK10. I think your gonna appreciate how they sound especilly for the little money.

GK10 sounds a bit rough out of the box especially the treble area sounds a bit brittle. Sound kinda fills out after some run in.
SG-01 sounds more smoother more fluid after some time.

I got word GK10s are flying off the shelves. Lol!
I just realised the drivers of the SG01 are mentioned to be "graphene composite", which is interesting as it seems to suggest different materials being utilised in different zones/layers of the driver (unless the graphene is somehow interwoven with the other material)

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #57,822 of 101,403
For myself I think 12mm isn't necessary for tight extended bass. I've heard smaller drivers/diaphragms capable of producing that
I can't help but remember the 64 Audio Nio's bass performance from its 9mm DD. Where it seems to be quite often cited to have excellent subbass but somewhat wobbly mid/upper bass.

But I assume it's not the diameter's fault then?

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #57,823 of 101,403
So I got asked what is the difference in sound vs the SG-01 and the GK10.

SG-01 has more upper mid and lower treble emphasis to my ears vs the extremely well balanced GK10. This is not a bad thing as the sense of clarity for the SG-01 done tastefully and is also very well balanced relative to the rest of the signature. There is a slight female vocal lift for the SG-01 meaning without even seeing the graph on the SG-01 I am gonna guess roughly 10dbs of pinna gain. SG-01s is a single graphene dynamic but one that is tuned to optimize the driver to its fullest. Coherence is optimal and I will say is more fluent in how the sound is presented vs the multi driver GK10. Your really getting a well tuned earphone here with good clarity, surprisingly great imaging and even though the earphones are compact and is using a fairly smaller shell it has a very good well rounded stage. Granted the stage for both earphones are about average you can clearly pick out parts of sound that is supposed to be there with the SG-01. Both the SG-01 and the GK10 are not overly emphasized in any one region but how both portray its sound signatures is a bit different. SG-01 being a single dynamic you get the obvious benefits of single dynamic coherence and a seamless transition of the three zones of sound I can also argue its treble performance sound a bit more natural in tone and ability vs the GK10. Don't know if you guys have ever heard Piezo treble but it does sound a bit thinner in note vs your standard BA or EST treble. It isn't a deal breaker since it actually has a very well extended treble end that mimics much higher end trebles with excellent sparkle and surprising detail coming from the GK10 something your not going to get too much of done correctly on budget fi offerings.

GK10 is using every single driver it has to full advantage here also for each part of the sound portions it is representing. It does have the upper hand on the SG-01 in sheer dimensionality and is more technical. This is the advantage of using multiple types of drivers. While the SG-01 has to use more pinna gain in order for that better clarity to the sound the GK10 just simply represents each portion of the sound more effortlessly. With lesser pinna gain for the GK10 and also seem to have a bit more in the way of lower mids vs the GK10. Treble is presented a bit differently the GK10 has the better treble extension but the SG-01 has a bit more in the way of emphasis for the main parts of the trebles.

The GK10 is tuned more for western enthusiasts vs the SG-01 more for eastern enthusiasts. You guys realize for less than $100 you can actually get both and have a serious 1 2 punch for excellent budget fi. I spent $100 recently on a set of Ikko CTU-01 cables and some Spiral dot+++ tips. Lol.
and

OR

Oh wait it isn't exactly $100. Actually these two masterclass budget fi earphones would be $15 less at $85.

Bass for both sets really are excellent but as you can guess the GK10 uses its largest dynamic driver plated in Titanium coating to do that bass. This being said. SG-01 is no weak sauce for bass in fact its sub bass performance is very excellent. GK10 has a bit more authority in the bass regions but the SG-01 bass quality like the rest of the sound is very surprising for what it can do. Pick your poison graphene bass or titanium bass. Both will rumble with authority with very good definition for bass.

You really cant go wrong with either or to be completely honest. This pic shown, I purposefully switched out cables just to see how they are on the other phones cables I am using. I decided I like it better the other way around. SG-01 has good clarity so a warmer copper cable benefits its tuning it is the NiceHCK Lofty cables actually. The SPC White crane here suits the GK10 better.
I am anxious to see graphs for both of these (I know there was a screenshot of the GK10 shared earlier, but it was too blurry for me to read it properly).

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #57,825 of 101,403
Do you think a 12mm DD with low max excursion would be a way to provide tight bass... Albeit at the expense of a rather large housing?
in speaker world, big speaker sound big and small speaker sound small...
it's not just about the depth of the bass but the grandness of the overall sound, physics still play role...

small woofer try to get volume displacement by throw longer/further the diaphragm excursion, more difficult motor design to stay linear..
big woofer could get the same volume displacement with much lesser excursion, simpler motor would do..

... is the smaller DD driver such in earphone follow the same treat? I don't know... maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back