The discovery thread!
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #50,401 of 102,879
I mean, THIS is misleading. It’s a USB external hard drive, with nothing more than a flash chip inside of the case, plus bolts or nuts to add weight to trick people into thinking there is an actual hard drive inside.

That’s an example of TRUE business behavior that is unethical, lying, dishonest, and misrepresentation.

70E401D9-D61E-4D29-AF2E-F97A73979334.jpeg83CBA90C-84AD-4309-92D5-E1A0C6762A53.jpeg

@Slater, I am curious, did Samsung actually sell this as an external hard drive?

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #50,405 of 102,879
The greatest offender being Canadian bacon
The lawyers may get consulted for this gross digression from the topic of the thread.

On the topic of electrostats and magnetostats: can anyone explain for me clearly a significance of the difference?

From my understanding, if I ever get this type of drivers - they will be "magnetostats", since even the idea of generating high voltage close to my brain does not bode well at all...

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #50,406 of 102,879
Mangird MT4 ( 1 dd + 3 BA (2 sonion/ 1 Knowles)) = 200 usd

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/mangird-mt4
These look great! I wonder how these will compare with the Tea.

As someone who is extremely new to the hobby (started in July), I find myself quite overwhelmed with all of the options in this price range and the new releases coming out. As a sufferer of upgraditis and gear acquisition syndrome, I find myself GASsing at all of the new IEMs coming out and have hopped on the hype train of many models. As a grad student with a limited budget, I have to consider my purchases, but since July I've already ordered a bunch (albeit fairly low cost/good deals) of IEMs, the Soundmagic E11C, FAAEAL Hibiscus, and in transit are the BQEYZ vending machine and Campfire Orions I got at a great discount.

How do you all deal with the hype and enthusiasm for new offerings, especially those with reasonable prices/are more budget friendly?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #50,407 of 102,879
These look great! I wonder how these will compare with the Tea.

As someone who is extremely new to the hobby (started in July), I find myself quite overwhelmed with all of the options in this price range and the new releases coming out. As a sufferer of upgraditis and gear acquisition syndrome, I find myself GASsing at all of the new IEMs coming out and have hopped on the hype train of many models. As a grad student with a limited budget, I have to consider my purchases, but since July I've already ordered a bunch (albeit fairly low cost/good deals) of IEMs, the Soundmagic E11C, FAAEAL Hibiscus, and in transit are the BQEYZ vending machine and Campfire Orions I got at a great discount.

How do you all deal with the hype and enthusiasm for new offerings, especially those with reasonable prices?
I gave up and just bought a ton of stuff. :joy:
Resistance is futile.

And now I am at a point where I am simply not interested in some things even if they are great because im already satisfied with what I have. (Except exotic iem configs, like planars, piezo. Since those usually sound very unique)

I say the best way to deal with "pokemon syndrome" is to just not read on sites like this and be happy about what you have. Once you have fallen deep enough, it is extremely hard to get out. :sob:

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #50,408 of 102,879
I gave up and just bought a ton of stuff. :joy:
Resistance is futile.

And now I am at a point where I am simply not interested in some things even if they are great because im already satisfied with what I have. (Except exotic iem configs, like planars, piezo. Since those usually sound very unique)

I say the best way to deal with "pokemon syndrome" is to just not read on sites like this and be happy about what you have. Once you have fallen deep enough, it is extremely hard to get out. :sob:
Haha, as a trekkie I feel you. Thanks for the quick response!

I think it is too late for me; my purchases so far have helped me hear more things in my music, and now all I want is more! I think I am just addicted to collecting things. Why do I have so many hobbies that enable this!

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #50,409 of 102,879

I think it is too late for me; my purchases so far have helped me hear more things in my music, and now all I want is more! I think I am just addicted to collecting things. Why do I have so many hobbies that enable this!
Rip, once you turned to the dark side there is no going back.

At least we can all cry together and mourn for our wallets. :joy:

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #50,410 of 102,879
Rip, once you turned to the dark side there is no going back.

At least we can all cry together and mourn for our wallets. :joy:
You can always think on bright/light side - coming with the prudence, self-restrain, defying consumerism, putting music first :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #50,411 of 102,879

I definitely have a compulsive collecting tendency, and thus I have not even remotely entertained several interesting hobbies b/c I knew it would not be good for me. Well, I fell into this rabbit hole. I guess the most prudent thing to do is to discover what your preferences are by trying a few budget options, then saving up for a higher end item that fulfills those preferences. Then, just enjoy it and stay away from here and us addicts.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #50,413 of 102,879
@Slater, I am curious, did Samsung actually sell this as an external hard drive?

No, I assume someone bought it, swapped out the drive with that garbage and then returned it. Or perhaps it was a shady eBay seller selling an “open box” external drive. I don’t remember the exact details.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #50,414 of 102,879
I mean, THIS is misleading. It’s a USB external hard drive, with nothing more than a flash chip inside of the case, plus bolts or nuts to add weight to trick people into thinking there is an actual hard drive inside.

That’s an example of TRUE business behavior that is unethical, lying, dishonest, and misrepresentation.

70E401D9-D61E-4D29-AF2E-F97A73979334.jpeg83CBA90C-84AD-4309-92D5-E1A0C6762A53.jpeg

Seriously, the flash chip is a better hard-drive then a mechanical drive that it is probably billed as.

Probably adds about 5 years of life to this drive, glued on bolts and all, LOL!

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #50,415 of 102,879

Users who are viewing this thread

Back