The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #102,871 of 106,555
SR5 is quickly growing on me... I see why this IEM made such a big blip on the ChiFi radar last year.
The shells were way too big for my cavernous ears, but I actually enjoyed them quite a bit while I had them. They, along with the Sennheiser IE600, accompanied me on my travels to my mom's funeral early in 2023. But they just hurt my ears from those massive shells. Interestingly enough, I ended up selling both. Probably something to do psychologically?

May 23, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #102,872 of 106,555
My Sliivo slt-6 arrived just now. First impressions are good but damn that nozzle is big!! It wasn't easy to slip on some Divinus Velvet and even then I wonder if I get the seal from the umbrella or the stem? On my other IEMs the Divinus seem to be more comfortable. It seems Myer audio recommends 100 hours of burn-in but ootb they already sound good to me. Not as fun as my other sets but can still agree to it on UD setting. I will try and compare them with my Himalaya and TSMR-x properly another time. If anyone has some song suggestions that show the strength of an all BA set I am all for.
Very curious about your thoughts. There’s still little to find on these and I’m wondering why they aren’t talked about more. The brand is no real secret anymore and they’re readily available, albeit no cheapies. I wonder if they would be a nice addition to the SA6 or mostly redundant 😅.
If you’re not offended by electronic style music you could give ‚Vessels, Max Cooper - Everyone Is Falling‘ a listen. One of those tracks that always makes my all ba sets show off :)

May 23, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #102,873 of 106,555
Anything more specific you might share on the Splendor II yet? (humbly asking also how they compare to the Himalaya?)

EDIT: Thanks for mentioning Z's review on them, just saw his review/rant about them and even though I seldomly concur with his opinions or his style of "reviewing", this time I am fully behind his conclusion.
The Splendor II comes with a proprietary DSP Dongle (like the Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk) to sound as the INTUAURA engineers wanted it to sound. This is IMHO a crazy unlikable trend. It's like "Oh, our product is not finished yet and its design and development didn't allow us to tune it the way we wanted... Ok, lets DSP the hell out of it quickly, charge a premium on top of it because we add a frickin fancy USB-C dongle and sell it like its a gooood thing!"
So, in order for it to sound like a 240$ 1DD, you have hook it up with USB, which totally limits its use, and this DSP Dongle you cannot even use with other IEM's if you might have wanted to because it's so uniquely and specifically tuned for the Splendor II. >> It's a no go for me and I move on.
I applaud this message and high five you. It's a absolutely disturbing trend. Tuning an IEM via a USB plug is catering, like TWS is. It's almost the EXACT SAME THING. I don't use dongles, I don't use amps/dacs with USB C (because with the two DAPS I plug them into, for some reason it disables the EQ/sound profiles), and it's meant to force you to use these things on a phone or computer. I don't listen to music on my phone unless it's sync'd in my car, or my computer except to sample or to listen to videos. I don't use my phone like that! I don't want to use TWS, but with the way things are going, it's almost necessary. I don't think this is, and the reaction to the new dusk, where people are saying the DSP unit sounds fabulous and out of this world, but the stock tuning is uninspiring? WTH is that? So punish those of us who like wired out of daps and rewards phone zombies? I applaud you. Well said. Release it when both tunings are optimal.

May 23, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #102,874 of 106,555
I applaud this message and high five you. It's a absolutely disturbing trend. Tuning an IEM via a USB plug is catering, like TWS is. It's almost the EXACT SAME THING. I don't use dongles, I don't use amps/dacs with USB C (because with the two DAPS I plug them into, for some reason it disables the EQ/sound profiles), and it's meant to force you to use these things on a phone or computer. I don't listen to music on my phone unless it's sync'd in my car, or my computer except to sample or to listen to videos. I don't use my phone like that! I don't want to use TWS, but with the way things are going, it's almost necessary. I don't think this is, and the reaction to the new dusk, where people are saying the DSP unit sounds fabulous and out of this world, but the stock tuning is uninspiring? WTH is that? So punish those of us who like wired out of daps and rewards phone zombies? I applaud you. Well said. Release it when both tunings are optimal.
Man, these words coming from you, I'm truly flattered my friend, grazie mille! :blush:

May 23, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #102,875 of 106,555
Today's vibe:
"Supernature" by Goldfrapp

0523241345.jpg

EDIT: Also swapped the stock cable for this Gold/SPC one from XINHS.
Sounds nice together, IMO.
Also, corrected typo.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #102,876 of 106,555
Love the look of the TRN Medusa... so I did a quick and dirty Photoshop to see how they would look like with a more suitable cable to fit the Medusa colors. Ended up using a pic of the Tripowin Sirene ...and now we're talkin' :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

TRN_Medusa_Tripowin_Sirene.jpg
That is a gorgeous, stunning assembly! I'm really looking forward to mine, but I have that cable, and it sucks. Now sonically, it's actually one of my favorites, especially balanced, but it tangles. As you can see from this picture, it's rather thin, and with many thin cables, they tend to twine really bad, and this one does it worse than others, so I get tired of having to untangle it every time I need to use it, plus it can kink too. Not bad, but it will kink. Too bad, because it's got great sonics (for those who believe in such things).

May 23, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #102,877 of 106,555
It’s in the mail, so impressions when it is here. Actually I look at DSP as a way to get components of replay which are different than what can be stock. I don’t look at it as engineers not meeting their expectations at all. They are offering 2 sounds and I bet a few will like the DSP module and I few without? :)
This works when BOTH tunings are OPTIMAL, but when it's not, like the Dusk, then it's a CRUTCH, and not "offering two sounds". You pay good money for the stock sound, and not a magic cable. If that's the case, buy the magic cable.

May 23, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #102,878 of 106,555
The Delci sub-bass might be a bit too much for you even though I love it. I suggest the Artti R1. Excellent set for $80.

But again, you have a better 1DD with the Himalaya. Why buy a budget set? Wouldn't you just gravitate to the Him every time? People can slice their bread as they please, but I never understood the logic of buying a lesser set of the same configuration unless it was a throwaway for the gym, cutting the lawn, etc.
Not necessarily. I have much much more expensive IEMs, and even superior budget IEMs, but I keep reaching for the TRN ST7. Damn I love these things. They have my fullest rec. Listening to Clash - London Calling, and SO MUCH FUN!

May 23, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #102,879 of 106,555
Hey everyone, I’ve been trying hard to suppress my curiosity because it’s like opening a whole new can of worms (similar to my previous post about cables). But I can’t hold back any longer - and maybe I like to open new cans of worms from time to time? - so I have to ask: Do you always stick with the default filter on your DACs, or do you have a preferred filter that you switch to whenever possible?

I know some people believe that filters are “invisible,” but in my experience, that’s not the case. For instance, when it comes to Linear Phase Filters, I’ve noticed a significant difference between the Fast and Slow options. The same applies when comparing Minimum Phase filters to Linear Phase ones. Despite the common understanding that filters only affect frequencies above 20 kHz (except for Slow Filters, which gradually drop within the audible range), my ears tell me otherwise. Why would I perceive differences if they were limited to the “inaudible” range?

What stands out most to me is how filters impact the “attack” and “decay”. Linear phase Slow filters offer a gentler attack and an airier presentation, while Linear Phase Fast Filters are sharper and quicker in both attack and decay, resulting in a cleaner but less airy sound. As for Minimum Phase Filters, they share the same characteristics I mentioned earlier for their Slow and Fast iterations, but compared to Linear Phase one their attack tends to be sharper and cleaner. However, their decay is generally slower—slower even than Linear Phase Slow Filters—leading to a more organic and richer overall sound. These are just a few of the distinctions I’ve observed. I decided to not go more in depth in this post because there are way too many in between Filters (Low ripple, Hybrid, Apodizing, etc.) and the post would end up being unnecessarily detailed and longer than it needs to be.

Now, to answer my own question: I tend to stick with the default filter on my DACs most of the time. After all, there must be a reason why the manufacturer chose a particular filter as the default. However, I also enjoy exploring different ones to take advantage of all the possibilities my DAC offers. Lately, I’ve been using mainly the Hybrid filter on my BTR15 and the Minimum Phase Fast filter on my KA17 (both default). Occasionally, I’d like to change them and use filters that I think better suit a particular IEM. For example, when I want to add a little more clarity to warmer-sounding IEMs, I switch to the Linear Phase Fast filter (or a variant of it). Alternatively, if the treble on an IEM is borderline too bright, I opt for a slow filter (either Linear Phase Slow or Minimal Phase Slow).

I'll share the descriptions (obtained from the component datasheets I believe) on the various DAC filters that I have available on my XD05 PRO.
They may help you understand.

IMG_6354.png
IMG_6356.png
IMG_6355.png

May 23, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #102,880 of 106,555
and it's meant to force you to use these things on a phone or computer. I don't listen to music on my phone unless it's sync'd in my car
Forced is a curious choice of word oh magnificent ranter!

Perhaps there are enough people who don't buy DAPs ( like I was until couple of months ago) and this is for em?

My thinking then was instead of wasting money on source, use it to buy iems. Once I got a few, I got the dap.

May 23, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #102,881 of 106,555
Not necessarily. I have much much more expensive IEMs, and even superior budget IEMs, but I keep reaching for the TRN ST7. Damn I love these things. They have my fullest rec. Listening to Clash - London Calling, and SO MUCH FUN!
The greatest album of all time! :)

May 23, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #102,882 of 106,555
Not sure if anyone will find this interesting, but I had some time last night and decided to throw together some very quick and dirty rankings to see if I had to order the IEMs I own, how everything would stack up comparatively.

Overall I think it ended up being very representative of my real tastes except for the Quintet which I'd probably pop above the Orchestra Lite due to intangibles of the sound.

I'm sure some folks will disagree with my list, and I hope you do!

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #102,883 of 106,555
Today's vibe:
"Supernature" by Goldgrapp

0523241345.jpg

EDIT: Also swapped the stock cable for this Gold/SPC one from XINHS.
Sounds nice together, IMO.
LOL You misspelled it, my friend. I looked this up and it took me forever to get a bite! LOL It's Goldfrapp.

May 23, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #102,884 of 106,555
I'll share the descriptions (obtained from the component datasheets I believe) on the various DAC filters that I have available on my XD05 PRO.
They may help you understand.

They surely can help a lot - and I didn't find them anywhere before! Thank you very much for searching and sharing them! 😁
You make excellent sense to me. While I have many technically superior IEMs at my disposal, recently I find myself opting for the cheaper ones. I'm not sure why - they sound really good too thought, so there is that. Interestingly, I’ve got double or even triple the listening time on my Orca compared to my Hiditz Mp145. 😂

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #102,885 of 106,555
LOL You misspelled it, my friend. I looked this up and it took me forever to get a bite! LOL It's Goldfrapp.
I corrected it now. Dang fat fingers and stupid phone keyboard!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back