The discovery thread!
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #50,386 of 103,331
But aren’t many of you all the same people that have been begging companies to make Tribrids with the Sonion ESTs, because they sound so awesome? And now you’re up in arms over the semantics?

Isn’t the sound the most important thing? If Sonion can figured out a way to make a dog turd into a TOTL awesome sounding speaker, would it really matter if they advertised it as a “dog feces” driver vs a “dog turd” driver vs “dog poop” driver?

I mean, sure it’s the principle of the thing blah blah. But everyone is head over heels over these Sonion ESTs, and now you want to bite the hand that feeds you?

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #50,387 of 103,331
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #50,388 of 103,331
But aren’t many of you all the same people that have been begging companies to make Tribrids with the Sonion ESTs, because they sound so awesome? And now you’re up in arms over the semantics?

Isn’t the sound the most important thing? If Sonion can figured out a way to make a dog turd into a TOTL awesome sounding speaker, would it really matter if they advertised it as a “dog feces” driver vs a “dog turd” driver vs “dog poop” driver?

I mean, sure it’s the principle of the thing blah blah. But everyone is head over heels over these Sonion ESTs, and now you want to bite the hand that feeds you?
My problem with that is that it seems very ethically wrong to do so. If it isnt a true EST then they shouldnt market it as an EST and just call it an electret.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #50,389 of 103,331
It could be beryllium-coated crap as long as it sounds great and it's inexpensive. I'm sure it's all a ribbon, planar, or otherwise-named vibration membrane tweeter. I once photographed this man at his home, making his jewelry. He was a hoot. For as simple as he pretends to be, he was smart as a fox:

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #50,392 of 103,331
I mean, THIS is misleading. It’s a USB external hard drive, with nothing more than a flash chip inside of the case, plus bolts or nuts to add weight to trick people into thinking there is an actual hard drive inside.

That’s an example of TRUE business behavior that is unethical, lying, dishonest, and misrepresentation.

70E401D9-D61E-4D29-AF2E-F97A73979334.jpeg83CBA90C-84AD-4309-92D5-E1A0C6762A53.jpeg

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #50,393 of 103,331
I mean, THIS is misleading. It’s a USB external hard drive, with nothing more than a flash chip inside of the case, plus bolts or nuts to add weight to trick people into thinking there is an actual hard drive inside.

That’s an example of TRUE business behavior that is unethical, lying, dishonest, and misrepresentation.

70E401D9-D61E-4D29-AF2E-F97A73979334.jpeg83CBA90C-84AD-4309-92D5-E1A0C6762A53.jpeg
Samsung???? Wow what model is that?

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #50,394 of 103,331

Those exotic humanely obtained canine-derived carbon-based dynamic drivers sound very nice and “warm”.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #50,395 of 103,331

They should’ve put a dog turd in here.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #50,397 of 103,331
You are right, it was that a lot of brands for example Campfire Audio used Bellsing drivers instead of knowles in their Solaris (an 1500 usd iem).

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cxqlje/knowles_files_claim_with_us_trade_commission_to/

Litigation is a very expensive, time consuming and uncertain option.

Walking away from the brand (if the facts are established) is the easiest thing to do and, in Head-fi, we have a far-reaching forum to, hopefully, make an inferior brand sit up and realise that it cannot take its customers lightly.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #50,399 of 103,331

I certainly enjoy the Sonion drivers in the Starlights (and French fries) so the point being made does highlight misleading information rather than an attempt to break down the doors of the manufacturers or skin them alive.

These are informative and interesting discussion and points of view on the subject. At least that is how I understand it and as I said litigation is definitely last resort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back