The discovery thread!
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #49,636 of 103,293
^^^ I get what you guys are saying, Re: cans vs. IEM.

I just received my ATH-WP900; now on my 5th song with them, hahaha. This is the first time in almost 6 years I've had headphones on my head. I swore off cans back then, sold everything as I went all-in on IEM (well....kinda; actually more or less left the hobby). These aren't even top tier cans, but man, I missed how full-size cans present sound. Glad I took the plunge with these.

I'll still likely pay a ton of attention to the ~$750 IEM market because I can see myself buying something within the next 9-12 months.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #49,637 of 103,293
I am in the same exact boat as you actually. I think I used that analogy before. Lol. But for me I like my cans as much as my earphones. Case in point. You guys know about Beyers new T1 gen3 here?

1598980116051.png

No earphone gonna have the same stage as a well tuned open can. While I am looking forward to see how the Philips Fidelio X3 turns out. I have to admit I love Beyerdynamic headphones. These are talking to me. This hobby. Geeze!!!!!!!!!!

Beyer DT880 and 770 fan here. :) I NEED a DT1880!

Maybe there is a pattern/trend of Chi/J-fi IEM fans and Beyer can fans? (Now say that seven times rapidly :wink: ).

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #49,638 of 103,293
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #49,639 of 103,293
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #49,640 of 103,293
I've never heard over the ear sets that sound remotely as good to me as IEMs, open or closed. I think it's physiological for me... Something about my ear canals.

I get my first few pair of buds soon and will see how those fair but for me IEMs>full size by a long way. Every time I've dropped any good amount of cash on something like the mrspeakers ether cx I've almost immediately regretted it....

i also prefer IEMs characteristics compared to headphones and earbuds..and i have my fair share of listening to headphones. Sure people might say headphones have bigger soundstage than IEMs, but for me, "expansive" and "soundstage" itself are subjective.

On the other hand, no headphones can compete with IEMs for "intimate" and "immersive" type of soundstage.. so like i said, subjective to preference.

Earbuds are much more similar to openback headphones, and most IEMs can't get that "airy-ness".. but earbuds can, and i still prefer earbuds than headphones

other thing to consider for me is because of my listening habit (laying on the couch /bed) using headphones is more of a nuisance for me. so i don't have a scenario where headphones or trump over IEMs and earbuds.

the only headphones that i still keep is the ATH R70X (one of the flattest and neutral sounding headphones/earphones I've ever heard), the ATH M50 (purely sentimental values), and the Sony XM3 (well.. ANC)

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #49,641 of 103,293
Different strokes for different folks, but I find that for CHIFI IEMs, they have superb price to performance ratio compared to CHIFI headphones. I still find that that most western headphones are king in the headphone industry, whereas the CHIFI IEMs have really caught up to the midfi western brands for IEMs at least. The CHIFI headphones are catching up though, tried a few of their stuff and they ain't bad, but just that the CHIFI IEMs have more choices and better selection. It is my hope that CHIFI headphones can one day do the same thing and catch up to their western counterparts in the midfi segment, so as to save all of us $$$ in this hobby.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #49,642 of 103,293
Different strokes for different folks, but I find that for CHIFI IEMs, they have superb price to performance ratio compared to CHIFI headphones. I still find that that most western headphones are king in the headphone industry, whereas the CHIFI IEMs have really caught up to the midfi western brands for IEMs at least. The CHIFI headphones are catching up though, tried a few of their stuff and they ain't bad, but just that the CHIFI IEMs have more choices and better selection. It is my hope that CHIFI headphones can one day do the same thing and catch up to their western counterparts in the midfi segment, so as to save all of us $$$ in this hobby.
I tend to prefer over ears myself if mostly because I HAVE to limit the usage of IEMs due to the increased chance to impact my earwax every time I put them on compared to a can. So I have to relegate IEMs to portable use. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if this is due to me trying to force the tips too deep and/or I'm choosing an eartip too small that's unable to grab my ear with a shallow insertion. Or the way I insert the tips is just plain incorrect (Tipically I pull the ears from above before inserting).

Edit: Makes me wonder how it's even possible to fully insert an Etymotic ERXXX without pushing the earwax.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #49,643 of 103,293
TBT, He is overly critical and I honestly wonder if he gets any enjoyment out of the hobby... His opinions are worth just about zero to me. He is my example of a reviewer I give Zero credence to from a personal subjective taste standpoint. The only pair I really agree with him on is the blon. Pairs he likes are generally pretty drab to me.... Pairs he trashes I either like, or can be fixed with very minor EQ.

That being said, he does seem to be one of the more trustworthy reviewers in the sense of not being a total shill.

He's like the opposite of a hobbyist like me though. I like a vast majority of gear I get (one of the few things in life where I'm an optimist) and he seems to hate most of it. His general attitude bums me out. Get another hobby that brings you joy buddy....

Reminds me of joker. remember the king reviewer joker? now that was a hit and miss reviewer. some things were spot on, and some were absolutely not anywhere near what he described. The biggest ones that come to mind were the JVC HA-FXT90 , VSonic GR-7 bass, Thinksound Rain, and the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet. I thought all of them either sounded weaksauce or not up to the reviews. So hit and miss. gotta find folks you can trust.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #49,644 of 103,293
what happened with @HungryPanda? When i was last here in April, he was still posting.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #49,645 of 103,293
Hungry was a health care worker. Got Covid and passed away it was shocking news and still is. I have to admit this year was and still is one of the worst in the history of man kind. I am also a health care worker and I am sick of wearing a mask but it is something I have to have on all day long.

Unfortunately we are not out of the woods on this one. While life goes on people like our good buddy Hungrypanda passed away. I also had some coworkers who caught the virus and managed to survive. It has affected so many people and killed a lot more.

I think the best part of having my earphones at work I can forget all that is still happening even if just for an hour and listen to some music. I feel bad for folks that don't enjoy music for some reason. I am at risk every day I am at work but life goes on.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #49,646 of 103,293
Hungry was a health care worker. Got Covid and passed away it was shocking news and still is.

oh wow. that's horrible news. my deepest condolences to his family and friends. COVID is awful.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #49,648 of 103,293
I'm with you, after I got the HD800S a couple of years ago everything else is just nice to have while they're need to have for me. That being said, 95% of the time I listen to music huge open headphones are out of the question so IEM's still get a lot more usage. Then there's always the curiosity og trying new things......
It's weird but I hear almost zilch for staging from over the ear sets, closed or open, whatever.... I'd say the range of sounds is about if I had Mickey mouse ears for really good sets. Also, everything sounds behind me by a few inches which doesn't occur with IEMs.

With IEMs it is a little bit larger of a stage, but the illusion works better and the separation between instruments is MUCH superior, as well as the bass punch, weight and slam. For me it's really no contest.

The moment I tried the TFZ S5, my over the ear days were done.... To bad my old ety er4ps had no stage, otherwise I'd have been into IEMs much sooner.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #49,649 of 103,293
I think this is why I like warm/dark sounding gear. It's not because I'm treble sensitive, it's because it's MUCH easier for me to achieve zen moments with neutral/dark gear than bright gear.

that is oddly opposite my ears, but that's what makes this hobby most unpredictable!

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #49,650 of 103,293
Per Crinacle:
“11/08 edit: I was informed that the first Monarch unit I received was built incorrectly. I just received the second (correct) unit, and so the impressions/measurements sections have been amended accordingly.“

He updated this article: https://crinacle.com/2020/07/29/thieaudio-monarch-unboxing/

1598977603734.jpeg

The black line (first sample) is looked better to me. I wonder if this a unite variation? or they just retune it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back