The discovery thread!
Sep 2, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #49,652 of 101,294
Just wondering if there's any IEM worth buying that is an upgrade to Orb's treble and airiness under $500. H40 is the only one I'm aware of that has a superior treble for my taste, but Orb trumps it for bass and vocals.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #49,653 of 101,294
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #49,654 of 101,294
Hungry was a health care worker. Got Covid and passed away it was shocking news and still is. I have to admit this year was and still is one of the worst in the history of man kind. I am also a health care worker and I am sick of wearing a mask but it is something I have to have on all day long.

Unfortunately we are not out of the woods on this one. While life goes on people like our good buddy Hungrypanda passed away. I also had some coworkers who caught the virus and managed to survive. It has affected so many people and killed a lot more.

I think the best part of having my earphones at work I can forget all that is still happening even if just for an hour and listen to some music. I feel bad for folks that don't enjoy music for some reason. I am at risk every day I am at work but life goes on.
Respect friend for the giving you do. There is nothing better than to have kindness and compassion for others....and putting yourself on the line. Scary times. Due to a whole list of conditions that make me vulnerable, I have been out 4 times since lock down in UK. I went online to @HungryPanda funeral. It was sad, because at the time everything was limited without any real human contact for his wife. Tragic. My heart went out to his partner who was so active here. So, so unfair.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #49,655 of 101,294
I also saw a post on Facebook showing @HungryPanda and some of his friends (also Head-fiers I guess) having a mini audio meet. I think that was just this year before he got hospitalized. It was sad indeed. He's quite prone to the virus as his age was already advanced. Still, cheers to his contributions to the community, and heartfelt thanks to his sacrifices as one of the frontliners who battled with the damn virus. May his will live on as one who continued to contribute a lot to this community despite his age while having a demanding day job.

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #49,656 of 101,294
Just Arrived: Smabat NCO. Single DD Graphene 8mm. MMCX. They are tiny, the capsule is only 10mm long but very comfortable. Sound is very neutral with good extension both ends, good rumble of sub-bass from such a small unit. More impressions soon and review to follow. Can somebody create a showcase page for me?
IMG_20200902_132221.jpg

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #49,657 of 101,294
Reminds me of joker. remember the king reviewer joker? now that was a hit and miss reviewer. some things were spot on, and some were absolutely not anywhere near what he described. The biggest ones that come to mind were the JVC HA-FXT90 , VSonic GR-7 bass, Thinksound Rain, and the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet. I thought all of them either sounded weaksauce or not up to the reviews. So hit and miss. gotta find folks you can trust.

I used to trade with Joker and heard half or more of the exact earphones he reviewed. Over 90% spot on with me. The only difference being he always tried to get the most isolation out of an earphone. So, the last few % difference is that I would take off iso if I felt it helped an earphone. Funny how the ones you listed have so many reviews and are well regarded by many. Almost classics all four. Think you are in the minority there. Joker was more consistent and better than people reviewing today. Shigeo, Joker, ClieOS, KJK, etc. back in the day were a step above what we have today though perhaps to be expected with it being more watered down today.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #49,658 of 101,294
Just Arrived: Smabat NCO. Single DD Graphene 8mm. MMCX. They are tiny, the capsule is only 10mm long but very comfortable. Sound is very neutral with good extension both ends, good rumble of sub-bass from such a small unit. More impressions soon and review to follow. Can somebody create a showcase page for me?
IMG_20200902_132221.jpg

Here u go friend: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-nco.24604/

SMABAT is one of my favourite earbud companies, look forward to your review (and their foray into the IEM world).

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #49,659 of 101,294
Sep 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #49,660 of 101,294
I used to trade with Joker and heard half or more of the exact earphones he reviewed. Over 90% spot on with me. The only difference being he always tried to get the most isolation out of an earphone. So, the last few % difference is that I would take off iso if I felt it helped an earphone. Funny how the ones you listed have so many reviews and are well regarded by many. Almost classics all four. Think you are in the minority there. Joker was more consistent and better than people reviewing today. Shigeo, Joker, ClieOS, KJK, etc. back in the day were a step above what we have today though perhaps to be expected with it being more watered down today.

Tell him we miss him and still love his incredible work. I hope he's doing alright.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #49,661 of 101,294
Got my woojer strap yesterday from their IGG campaign and am putting it through it's paces. I haven't seen much talk at all about this device on here or from, ummmmm, from THIS crowd.

https://www.woojer.com/strap/

Basically it's a haptic bass feedback device you pair via Bluetooth. I wish my hiby r6 pro would allow me to use a headphone port at the same time as the Bluetooth out but for now I'm stuck with my earphones plugged into the 3.5mm out from the woojer (making me cringe a bit there).

It's interesting. It could use some work but the tactile sensation for bass might be fun for bassheads like me who miss feeling the bass thump in your chest.

Feels a little bit sloppy but adds another dimension to the headphone experience.

Worth the $109 I paid for it? Meh? Will probably be worth it and a bit of fun when I'm in an altered state, but might want to wait for future versions....

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #49,662 of 101,294
Got my woojer strap yesterday from their IGG campaign and am putting it through it's paces. I haven't seen much talk at all about this device on here or from, ummmmm, from THIS crowd.

Basically it's a haptic bass feedback device you pair via Bluetooth. I wish my hiby r6 pro would allow me to use a headphone port at the same time as the Bluetooth out but for now I'm stuck with my earphones plugged into the 3.5mm out from the woojer (making me cringe a bit there).

It's interesting. It could use some work but the tactile sensation for bass might be fun for bassheads like me who miss feeling the bass thump in your chest.

Feels a little bit sloppy but adds another dimension to the headphone experience.

Worth the $109 I paid for it? Meh? Will probably be worth it and a bit of fun when I'm in an altered state, but might want to wait for future versions....

Interesting... now what if we combined the Woojer with the Lofelt Basslet :p

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #49,663 of 101,294

I remember the days of a basement room, with a concrete floor and little furniture. The large stand mount speakers sent soundwaves, from the vinyl record deck into my plexus. I miss that physical hit of the deep bass. Can this device recreate that intensity?

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #49,664 of 101,294
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #49,665 of 101,294
Interesting... now what if we combined the Woojer with the Lofelt Basslet :p
Yeah, there are others like it including that. Not a new concept. I remember when the rumblepak for the N64 first came out.... Sort of gimmicky, yes, but also sort of neat.
I remember the days of a basement room, with a concrete floor and little furniture. The large stand mount speakers sent soundwaves, from the vinyl record deck into my plexus. I miss that physical hit of the deep bass. Can this device recreate that intensity?
Sort of.

Intensity wise it can get quite strong and deep, but it is fairly localized to the area you wear the transducer. For me, I will always wear it on my chest. The haptic feedback can also feel a bit loose or sloppy compared to the accuracy and naturalness of actual soundwaves.
And then combined the Woojer with the Lofelt Basslet, with THIS:

2F41DF79-12E0-451B-A090-E1D2E7F5EBC8.gif

The ultimate immersive experience
No comment, just want to see this over and over....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back