The discovery thread!
Feb 15, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #46,531 of 100,512
I ordered my Dunu Titan 6 on February 3rd on Aliexpress and it arrived today at my home in the UK

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #46,532 of 100,512
Man I just found this thread - awesome! Right up there with “what I’m listening to” where I just disovered some new blues music

took the leap into nice sound equipment recently... loving the JH Lola universals I picked up and I’m thinking I’m ready to get some custom IEM

so many choices though... I listen to mostly classical, opera, instrumental/guitar, blues, jazz and a lot of female vocals

I’d love any thoughts or suggestions. Probably looking to stay in the $2k to $2500 range

thanks

Wow with your budget the sky's the limit, lots of summit FI u can potentially get. U can audition the QDC Anole VX if u get the chance, it's my dream IEM, though I can't afford it as of now.

10 BA, 3 tuning switches, to give 8 sound signatures on the go, so very versatile for most music genres. Great technicalities (imaging, details, clarity, instrument separation), very tight and accurate bass. Some may say it is boring as the tuning is pretty balanced. I think it retails around $2 - 2.5 K USD depending on whether u want a universal or custom version.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #46,533 of 100,512
Man I just found this thread - awesome! Right up there with “what I’m listening to” where I just disovered some new blues music

took the leap into nice sound equipment recently... loving the JH Lola universals I picked up and I’m thinking I’m ready to get some custom IEM

so many choices though... I listen to mostly classical, opera, instrumental/guitar, blues, jazz and a lot of female vocals

I’d love any thoughts or suggestions. Probably looking to stay in the $2k to $2500 range

thanks

This is a good thread for you to ask. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...al-high-end-portable-audio-discussion.826876/

Discovery thread is all things audio mostly in ears but we seldom tackle earphones in the megabucks range. Nothing wrong with in ears in the 2K plus range but most guys that frequent this thread is all about bang for bucks which your 2K plus range in ears will most certainly not get you. It is all relative however and it depends on what your willing to shell out to get what you want. There are a lot of guys on that thread that own high end in ears so you will be able to find what you need more so on that thread.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #46,534 of 100,512
This is a good thread for you to ask. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...al-high-end-portable-audio-discussion.826876/

Discovery thread is all things audio mostly in ears but we seldom tackle earphones in the megabucks range. Nothing wrong with in ears in the 2K plus range but most guys that frequent this thread is all about bang for bucks which your 2K plus range in ears will most certainly not get you. It is all relative however and it depends on what your willing to shell out to get what you want. There are a lot of guys on that thread that own high end in ears so you will be able to find what you need more so on that thread.
Thanks , apologies for putting this in the wrong thread

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #46,535 of 100,512
Wow with your budget the sky's the limit, lots of summit FI u can potentially get. U can audition the QDC Anole VX if u get the chance, it's my dream IEM, though I can't afford it as of now.

10 BA, 3 tuning switches, to give 8 sound signatures on the go, so very versatile for most music genres. Great technicalities (imaging, details, clarity, instrument separation), very tight and accurate bass. Some may say it is boring as the tuning is pretty balanced. I think it retails around $2 - 2.5 K USD depending on whether u want a universal or custom version.
Awesome thanks!!

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #46,536 of 100,512
1581816364058.png

So the Tansio Mirai in ears have a unique stage. The 3 pros I did a review on here. Absolutely surperb for vocal acoustic music. Enough bass grunt to have some versatility with their bass switch on. Tuning switches decent accessories. It is a good one. One of the best 3BA in ears I can think of. Wish these guys would make a hybrid with this tuning. Lol.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #46,537 of 100,512
I ordered a cable from China and its been 2 weeks now since then, I have not received the item yet. The seller I bought from at least gives info on why they cant ship my order yet.

While on the topic of discovering new gears, Im coming from the Kanas Pro and would like to get a new pair of IEMs. Been eyeing the H40 but saw the I3 here too which seems to be really good as well. Which is a better all rounder tho?
I ordered 2 cables from different Aliexpress sellers in late January. I received one last week, and just received notice that the other has left China, so I imagine I'll receive it within the next week or two. I'm cautiously optimistic that things may slowly be starting to start shipping again. In any case, I'm gonna hold off on buying anything new for at least a month (the Aliexpress Birthday Sale starts around 3/26), so I will wait at least till then to get any new gear. Hopefully that will give sellers some time to catch up on shipping out previous orders that were placed just before the mass quarantine. As for the I3 and H40, I got them in my cart. As well as Shozy 1.1, 1.4, Thieaudio Voyager 3, NF Audio NA2, and Dunu DM480. I'll end up getting one to add to my growing collection, but I'm definitely gonna hold off for now, to allow those who placed orders just before or during this virus saga to get their stuff first. It makes no sense to me to clog an already backlogged system with any new orders, until preexisting orders have been fulfilled and shipped.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #46,538 of 100,512
@courierdriver : you might want to check out these affordable thingies on AE as well:

Screenshot_2019-09-27-15-27-44-464_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd-01.jpeg

€ 14,87 | DD DJ35A DJ44A, 2.5 4.4 Balanced adapter. Apply to 2.5mm balance earphone cable, from brands such as Astell&Kern, FiiO, etc.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/DfS7q7NO

I'll stick with my cable adapter for another while since there's less leverage effect on the connectors (0° vs. 90°) if someone or something pulls on the cable unexpectedly (of course a lot depends on the angle and how tight the individual connections are ...).
i got those today, they are amazing, i did not expect this big difference using these compared to my other connectors

they have more detail, and are simply putting my other connectors to shame.

never thought connectors can make this difference

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #46,539 of 100,512
Recently I get a lot of enquiries on what's the best IEM for vocals under 300 USD, I will answer here. It is the iBasso AM05. The midrange is upfront & intimate. Extremely enjoyable.

I have reviewed it not too long ago, iBasso AM05 Review. This is an IEM that I can recommend very highly especially if you like vocals. Cheers!

FB_IMG_1581903965196.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #46,540 of 100,512
Speaking of all BA in ears. I got word that business is suffering for all the vendors we deal with right now as you all know. A lot of it has to do with sourcing said goods you all want to buy out of mainland China where work is currently on lockdown for the most part. Also the shipping sector which has seen some movement lately. Again it will be gradual but people have to start working again in China so while it will take some time for things to get back to normal. I got word that Penon will be running a special to help with the crawling business that is happening this month. During the lock down they are selling their TSMR-2 for $150. First time it has been on sale for the price.
https://penonaudio.com/tansio-mirai-tsmr-2.html Penon was able to get a special allocation of TSMR-2s for a special price. A bit like a drop but on Penon site. And you get it delivered tax free. If you never tried a TSMR in ear these are most definitely worth the price. Guys wanting to try an all BA set this is a good starting point. This special will be only for next 5 days or so.
1581912909660.png

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #46,541 of 100,512
Speaking of all BA in ears. I got word that business is suffering for all the vendors we deal with right now as you all know. A lot of it has to do with sourcing said goods you all want to buy out of mainland China where work is currently on lockdown for the most part. Also the shipping sector which has seen some movement lately. Again it will be gradual but people have to start working again in China so while it will take some time for things to get back to normal. I got word that Penon will be running a special to help with the crawling business that is happening this month. During the lock down they are selling their TSMR-2 for $150. First time it has been on sale for the price.
https://penonaudio.com/tansio-mirai-tsmr-2.html Penon was able to get a special allocation of TSMR-2s for a special price. A bit like a drop but on Penon site. And you get it delivered tax free. If you never tried a TSMR in ear these are most definitely worth the price. Guys wanting to try an all BA set this is a good starting point.
1581912909660.png

Nice, I like the tuning switches, like a mini QDC Anole VX.

Generally I'm not really a fan of BA timbre and BA subbass, but how is it on this set?

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #46,542 of 100,512
Tansio Mirai. Talented young tuner was what I was told. Has a specific tuning. This guy likes to tune with balanced tunings. Haven't heard one that is too V or U shaped, forward imaging and detail as the basis for his tunings. Guy knows how to get the best out of BAs. Bass switch allows for about 3dbs of uptick in mid bass with a slightly mid forward signature. Balanced switch gives good even bass to treble emphasis. The stage of a TSMR in ear is what makes them unique. If you have ever heard a tall sounding in ear while that is not a sound description you read about too often. TSMR in ears pick off details and images really well because of it. TSMR-2 is more for vocal and instrument music more so than EDM or hip hop but doesn't lack for bass. One larger 22955 Knowles is used I believe for both bass and mids. A smaller ED29689 Knowles for treble duties

Bass is BA bass with good impact. Sub bass is heard on the set but doesn't have the rumble of a good dynamic. It is more the full bodied mids and clean treble that comes through. No weirdness in his tunings at all. Reason why TSMR in ears are all highly rated. Images amazing for a 2 BA set. Instrument timbre is very good with frontal vocals that gets you immersed. Due to the shell being all Resin. 26dbs of passive isolation means these will block a lot of outside noise. Great for walking around or using in a crowded environment. Very ergonomic for the shell too, one of the more comfortable resin shells for this type of design.

I forgot to mention. TSMR in ears are very strict with QC. Never seen one issue come up from any online read or review of any of their in ears ever. I know some manufacturers don't have the same rep these guys do but if you google them online you won't see a single issue at all. Unlike Shuoer or BGVP to name a few.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #46,543 of 100,512
Adding to Dsnuts post, here are my 2 cents. TSMR-2 at $150 is very good value but if one doesn't mind spending $70 more, TSMR-3 Pro is even better! Both their sound signatures are ballpark Tansio Mirai house sound. 3Pro adds another Knowles 22955 to the driver combo, making it (22955+22955+29689) and with that the sound signature gets some nice upgrades. 3Pro is more mature with a smoother balanced sound. It has more natural, refined and fuller sounding treble, fuller and impactful upper mids and lower mids and meatier, more impactful bass which especially makes the kick drum a lot more fun. Its soundstage is also smoother and cleaner with a better sense of space and imaging. At the end of the day, imagine TSMR-2 and 3Pro to be like brothers, with 3Pro being the slightly older, a little more muscular and mature one while the 2 being the young, leaner and energetic one. :wink:

With that said, TSMR-2 sounds great for its price, and surely serves as a very good intro to Tansio Mirai's stuff and helps me as one of the landmark IEMs at $150 for my reviews. 3Pro does the same in the $200-300 range. :)

If you wanna know more about the TSMR range, feel free to checkout my Tansio Mirai reviews - TSMR-3 | TSMR-3 Pro | TSMR-4 Pro | TSMR-5 & TSMR-6

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #46,544 of 100,512
I have the TSMR-3 (non-pro) and was fairly impressed.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #46,545 of 100,512
For those in the hobby 8 years ago, you will probably recognize this legendary IEM, Phonak PFE112 with grey filter. Took this out for a listen today and I am still impressed, simply sensational for 1 BA. A pity their IEMs are discontinued. If you manage to find the super rare Phonak IEMs brand new condition in the market, don't hesitate to get them.

photo_2020-02-17_23-51-23.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back