The discovery thread!
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #46,547 of 100,516
I had them a few years back. Besides the good sound. Best comfort and ergonomics!
The comfort is in a league of its own. I dare say no universal IEMs in the market is as good as Phonak PFE 112 for comfort & ergonomics.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #46,548 of 100,516
Decided to give my own opinions about my ever-growing eartip collection.

So far, I've managed to collect the following, and I'll also add brief impressions about them (subjective, of course, as these impressions vary person-to-person):
  • RHA Eartips (mediocre grip)
  • Comply foams (trash)
  • RHA foams (trash)
  • Sony gel-type eartips (pretty good but catches lint and dust)
  • Sony hybrids (really good overall)
  • Dunu eartips (meh)
  • Ostry OS-100 tips (messes up the FR too much)
  • JVC Spiral-dots (for some reason brings the highs more forward for me, too energetic, and not ideal for deep fit)
  • Spinfit CP-100 (great isolation and grip, doesn't mess with the FR too much)
  • Spinfit CP-500 (one of the most unique eartips I've ever used. Widens the soundstage and leads to more accurate imaging at the expense of leaner bass. Matches really well with mid-bass heavy IEMs)
  • Audeze Groove tips (only usable on iSines)
  • Final Foam tips (very rare, and the best foam tips I've used till date - still not as good as Silicon tips for me)
  • Final type-E (I've got both grey and color-coded stem versions. The best eartip for me overall. However, they can become too bassy on some IEMs, so not as universal as, say, Spinfit CP-100).
  • Meze eartips (the double-flange one is quite good actually)
  • Symbio W Peel (a bit harder-than-average stem might cause discomfort in the long run. Pretty good otherwise)
Eartips that are not pictured here:
  • Dekoni foam tips (worst tips ever. Save your money and don't buy that.)
  • IMR Tips (they rarely get used as the R1 Zenith has CP-500 on it all the time)
  • Earbud foams/donut-shaped foams
  • BLON eartips (oh dear Lord the horror)
  • Moondrop eartips (turd)

At the end of the day, there is no universal eartip out there, and yes - changing eartips might help immensely with the seal/fit and make an otherwise average IEM quite good actually (BLON BL-03 users unite).

So experiment if possible, and you just might find your match.

1581980052957.png
1581980073047.png

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #46,549 of 100,516
For those in the hobby 8 years ago, you will probably recognize this legendary IEM, Phonak PFE112 with grey filter. Took this out for a listen today and I am still impressed, simply sensational for 1 BA. A pity their IEMs are discontinued. If you manage to find the super rare Phonak IEMs brand new condition in the market, don't hesitate to get them.

photo_2020-02-17_23-51-23.jpg

Oh yep, back in the day. Phonak, AT CK10(might have needed some bass help from an amp), even the Phiaton dual armature and some others make the old saying true...."they don't make em like they used to". The Chi-Fi armature game even with Knowles stuff is rarely being done as good esp. in single and dual and at those $200 and under prices. Think the Sphere is a well regarded one right now and pricier than the Phonak was by ~$50($169 vs. $119 IIRC) but still think the Phonak might edge out the win.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #46,551 of 100,516

So far, I've managed to collect the following, and I'll also add brief impressions about them (subjective, of course, as these impressions vary person-to-person):
  • Comply foams (trash)
  • RHA foams (trash)
  • Dunu eartips (meh)
  • JVC Spiral-dots (for some reason brings the highs more forward for me, too energetic, and not ideal for deep fit)
  • Spinfit CP-500 (one of the most unique eartips I've ever used. Widens the soundstage and leads to more accurate imaging at the expense of leaner bass. Matches really well with mid-bass heavy IEMs)
  • Final Foam tips (very rare, and the best foam tips I've used till date - still not as good as Silicon tips for me)
  • Final type-E (I've got both grey and color-coded stem versions. The best eartip for me overall. However, they can become too bassy on some IEMs, so not as universal as, say, Spinfit CP-100).
  • Symbio W Peel (a bit harder-than-average stem might cause discomfort in the long run. Pretty good otherwise)
  • IMR Tips (they rarely get used as the R1 Zenith has CP-500 on it all the time)

At the end of the day, there is no universal eartip out there, and yes - changing eartips might help immensely with the seal/fit and make an otherwise average IEM quite good actually (BLON BL-03 users unite).

1581980052957.png1581980073047.png

Nice collection!

Definitely agree eartips can make or break an IEM - case in point BLON BL-03 with the crap stock tips. We all have different ear anatomies, different hearing health and different treble/bass preferences so i think tips are a very important but overlooked part of an IEM.

Unfortunately those new to the hobby and laymen consumers are not aware of tiprolling and will just use whatever is included OOTB. And if the fit sucks, bass is usually lost etc and the consumer walks away thinking the IEM is thrash. I try not to give up on an IEM and minimum would try tiprolling five pairs of tips before coming to a conclusion on the sound. YMMV.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #46,552 of 100,516

• Comply foams (trash)
  • RHA foams (trash)
  • Dunu eartips (meh)

1581980052957.png1581980073047.png
https://www.earrbond.com.hk/

Try these also the kz starline are awesome too

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #46,553 of 100,516

What is that Mochill?? I scroll down and see this...

"Size / Fitting
Universal fit. The maximum fit in will be 12.5 mm diameter."

What's up with that. They actually saying 12.5mm is as wide as we get from them?

On the JVC scale for example since it is popular...
1581986385365.png

...that is not quite a ML or a L. What am I missing?

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #46,554 of 100,516
Oh yep, back in the day. Phonak, AT CK10(might have needed some bass help from an amp), even the Phiaton dual armature and some others make the old saying true...."they don't make em like they used to". The Chi-Fi armature game even with Knowles stuff is rarely being done as good esp. in single and dual and at those $200 and under prices. Think the Sphere is a well regarded one right now and pricier than the Phonak was by ~$50($169 vs. $119 IIRC) but still think the Phonak might edge out the win.
Yeap you are right. In this new decade, Sphere is easily the best 1 BA at that price point.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #46,555 of 100,516
https://www.earrbond.com.hk/

Try these also the kz starline are awesome too

These look pretty interesting, although I have similar tips with the Symbio W. KZ Starlines used to be good too but I lost mine unfortunately. I guess I'll get some from AliExpress once shipments get back to normal.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #46,556 of 100,516
Yeap you are right. In this new decade, Sphere is easily the best 1 BA at that price point.

Have you had the chance to try the Final F3100? It never really became much popular, but with a deep fit, I find them really good for a single-BA in terms of overall tonality and resolution, especially how well they portray the midrange (though there's sub-bass roll-off). Sphere might beat it though as the BA drivers are newer gen (and F3100 is using 5 year old full-range driver from Knowles).

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #46,557 of 100,516
Have you had the chance to try the Final F3100? It never really became much popular, but with a deep fit, I find them really good for a single-BA in terms of overall tonality and resolution, especially how well they portray the midrange (though there's sub-bass roll-off). Sphere might beat it though as the BA drivers are newer gen (and F3100 is using 5 year old full-range driver from Knowles).
Yea I have tried the F3100. Sphere is superior to the F3100 in all aspects. It is also superior to the B2. If you want the best regardless of price, here are my top 3 best single BA IEMs that are accessible in the market now - Custom Art FIBAE Black, Aroma Star & Final FI-BA-SST.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #46,558 of 100,516
Speaking of tips. 1581980362183.png1581980362183.pngJust ordered a few sets of these. Cant wait to try em. Azla tips. Fist time I have seen the soft ones in large so I went for it. Will report when I get em. Should be a good alternative to Spiral dots.

Been a Sedna user since long time here. They are fit nice, they have 4 types ( i have them all) :
1. Sedna normal (a bit firmer material) with long nozzle neck (for deeper insertion)
2. Sedna light (a bit softer material) with long nozzle neck (for deeper insertion)
3. Sedna Short normal (a bit firmer material) with short nozzle neck like spiral dots (for shallower fit)
4. Sedna Short Light (a bit softer material) with short nozzle neck like spiral dots (for shallower fit)

depends on the IEM, they will fit better. for example for my BLON i use sedna normal with large size to handle with short nozzle neck of the BL-03 but i keep to use for shallow fit, and with this i can go with wearing down style (switch between L and R unit), very comfy and perfect seal.

And about sound signature, they have wide soundstage, less mid bass but perfect seal made great sub bass, but high mids and lower trebles a bit sharper than spiral dots. this can be pros/cons depends on your IEM signature. For already sharp or harsh IEM, you wont need to boost up this area, can made them into sibilance or shouty. While spiral dots for already smooth IEM, they will made highs dull because of the dots.

But overall I love sedna, very great fit.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #46,560 of 100,516
For my personal tips recommendations, get the JVC Spiral Dot++, AET07/08 & Azla Sedna.

Sedna is 1 of my faves, along with exactly those options : spiral dots (normal and ++), AET 07, and lately I also like the new spinfit CP360.
For best comfort feel spiral dot++ is on different class, they are like gone inside your ear canal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back