The discovery thread!
Feb 14, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #46,516 of 99,861
I would assume it is because the NA2 is more mass produced, meaning they can stamp out more of em easier. The NA1 is more hand made smaller batches. Probably more difficult to make.

Now Drop only $10 off on the Voyager 3. I actually think these last two are more stingy on the "drop" taking advantage of the situation in China. Or covering their butts with the situation with less of a discount just in case costs for these may be more for any reason. A built in buffer for them. Or, :), less discount on the other end since the Chinese brands have been hurt with the situation and not giving that good a deal as they might under normal circumstances.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #46,517 of 99,861
I have been getting messages from Penon and here is the gritty on the situation. I would put a hold on purchasing from China right now. I heard that there is an automatic shipping extension to Feb 29th out of aliexpress. It isn't just the audio industry that is affected right now. It is literally every type of business that is affected. That means right now getting anything out of China will be difficult. Shipping is dangerous for workers so the shipping sector is very sketchy at the moment. They are finding out more and more about the virus and it seems to be a super bug of sort that is manifesting into something people have never seen before. Looks like we will have to wait it out for a while. Consider yourself lucky not to be living anywhere near the outbreak. Reality is looks like all business out of China is on hold right now. Situation seems to be getting worse every time I am updating about it.

Hmm, I ordered an ISN H40 from their store on AliExpress earlier in the month. Wonder if I should just cancel it and reorder it after the situation improves. I also went with the DHL shipping option thinking it will arrive sooner vs with "AliExpress shipping" method. Thanks for the update.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #46,519 of 99,861
I ordered a Dunu modular plug a few days back and it was shipped yesterday so i think different places have different issues going on.

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #46,520 of 99,861
Having a huge impact on the Chinese economy. They will eventually have to get back to work. But man that virus is end of the world type stuff. Lots of media saying this could just be the beginning. That virus reaches an outbreak in a 3rd world country and those folks are hosed. The fatality rate is not as bad as it might seem but the thing spreads so easy.

I read reports of Japan now being worried about the Tokyo Olympics. You have to admit as scary as the bird flu and the like this one is crazy. It seems to be spreading on a daily basis. Don't know when it will plateau. There seems to be more folks that are cured of it than actually die but now there are reports of how folks could catch that again. Damn. What is happening people!!

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #46,521 of 99,861
Having a huge impact on the Chinese economy. They will eventually have to get back to work. But man that virus is end of the world type stuff. Lots of media saying this could just be the beginning. That virus reaches an outbreak in a 3rd world country and those folks are hosed. The fatality rate is not as bad as it might seem but the thing spreads so easy.

I read reports of Japan now being worried about the Tokyo Olympics. You have to admit as scary as the bird flu and the like this one is crazy. It seems to be spreading on a daily basis. Don't know when it will plateau. There seems to be more folks that are cured of it than actually die but now there are reports of how folks could catch that again. Damn. What is happening people!!
Nah.
If anything I think it's a wake up call that hasn't happened since the Spanish flu.

We're lucky that it's got such a low fatality rate. Things could be a lot worse. I imagine this will be one of those generational defining events like 9/11. Our lives and the way we live are going to be impacted for fear of a deadlier version of this, basically.

The virus itself, while scary, isn't really killing off huge amounts of people. The damage it does to the economies is going to be interesting to watch. I sure hope shops like penon and all these small chifi brands can survive this kind of thing and the changes it will bring. hopefully the Chinese government is more helpful in this regard than Western governments who only bail out those who are to big to fail (if there are SOME pros to authoritarian/interventionist governments, hopefully the ability to manage this type of situation is one).... Otherwise, it's going to be a really bumpy ride for not just China but the whole world.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #46,522 of 99,861
The information here regarding the virus is a lot like western media! I was in China a week back... it is mostly Hubei province and especially Wuhan that is the worst affected. However there is a bit of panic all around the country.

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #46,523 of 99,861
Screenshot (430).png

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #46,524 of 99,861
The information here regarding the virus is a lot like western media! I was in China a week back... it is mostly Hubei province and especially Wuhan that is the worst affected. However there is a bit of panic all around the country.
I've seen some photos where Nanjing Road in Shanghai was Empty. That is probably one of the busiest streets in the world. Partly fear of the coronavirus, and partly Govt asking people to stay away from large crowds. But Shanghai always has crowded streets, subway/metro, and restaurants... Except for last few weeks.... In Wuhan and in Hubei Province, military is enforcing quarantines and keeping people off the streets; Even delivering food to doorsteps. Not sure if China waited too long to take seriously; but believe that China is doing more to stop the spread right now than any country could.
Quarantine, and fear of catching coronavirus, has ruined the Chinese Holiday for many... And delayed re-start of many businesses... That will affect supply of Chi-Fi, and lots of things made in China.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #46,525 of 99,861
I ordered a cable from China and its been 2 weeks now since then, I have not received the item yet. The seller I bought from at least gives info on why they cant ship my order yet.

While on the topic of discovering new gears, Im coming from the Kanas Pro and would like to get a new pair of IEMs. Been eyeing the H40 but saw the I3 here too which seems to be really good as well. Which is a better all rounder tho?

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #46,526 of 99,861
I ordered a cable from China and its been 2 weeks now since then, I have not received the item yet. The seller I bought from at least gives info on why they cant ship my order yet.

While on the topic of discovering new gears, Im coming from the Kanas Pro and would like to get a new pair of IEMs. Been eyeing the H40 but saw the I3 here too which seems to be really good as well. Which is a better all rounder tho?
....depends on your listening preferences tbh....I chose the latter.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #46,527 of 99,861
I've seen some photos where Nanjing Road in Shanghai was Empty. That is probably one of the busiest streets in the world. Partly fear of the coronavirus, and partly Govt asking people to stay away from large crowds. But Shanghai always has crowded streets, subway/metro, and restaurants... Except for last few weeks.... In Wuhan and in Hubei Province, military is enforcing quarantines and keeping people off the streets; Even delivering food to doorsteps. Not sure if China waited too long to take seriously; but believe that China is doing more to stop the spread right now than any country could.
Quarantine, and fear of catching coronavirus, has ruined the Chinese Holiday for many... And delayed re-start of many businesses... That will affect supply of Chi-Fi, and lots of things made in China.
It'll be interesting to see how this is addressed in terms of domestic and exported products. The world is, more or less, afraid of anything coming out of China.

I wonder if well start to see advertisements on products from China that speak as to how they've been disinfected or something comparable.

The Chinese government is going to have to take some steps to restore faith that they're not transmitting the virus with their goods....

Also, I can attest that the TRI I3 is an excellent all around pair. The ISN H40 is the more conventional build, but the I3 is a well tuned tribrid with a good crossover. I'd like to try the ISN H40, but given the planar mids, it's hard for me to imagine the ISN H40 having the same timbral accuracy and mid smoothness of the I3. Again, haven't heard them though. Yet...

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #46,528 of 99,861
I have listened to the H40 for a little less than an hour. They are great for the price and IMO, are an upgrade from the KPE thus I wanted them (they come with a 4.4mm balanced cable too that will fit my dx160) but soon after I have read about the I3.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #46,530 of 99,861
Man I just found this thread - awesome! Right up there with “what I’m listening to” where I just disovered some new blues music

took the leap into nice sound equipment recently... loving the JH Lola universals I picked up and I’m thinking I’m ready to get some custom IEM

so many choices though... I listen to mostly classical, opera, instrumental/guitar, blues, jazz and a lot of female vocals

I’d love any thoughts or suggestions. Probably looking to stay in the $2k to $2500 range

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back