The discovery thread!
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #45,961 of 100,490
I know you guys arent like that but there are a few here on headfi that does this over and over and over. One glamor shot over another glamor shot with zero descriptions. There is nothing wrong with a new nice pic of your new toy. I get it. But man if that is all you do. What good is that anyway.

I try not to do that myself. I wish there was a posting rule about that. Lol.

I just think if your gonna post a pic. Tell us something about it. Just saying.

In any case. I think the Tri I3 was a good buy during sales. A little tid bit. Kbear I think will give a bit of a discount on them if you missed out on them during sales. Mention you are a headfier.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #45,962 of 100,490
You know one thing that kinda is waring a bit thin on me. Is the guy that post nice pics of a new phone and then just leaves a pic with nothing describing it. Lol You seen those.

Drives me bonkers. It is like Look my iem is so shiny and new. Lol. Who cares. Give me something to go on.!!

"I'm really liking the sound of these! First impressions are tremendous, and they really open up when given more power! Everyone should go out and buy a pair of these before they're all gone!!!"

Sadly, it's not just one, it's common. The weird part is you'd think people would want to plug their post full of keywords that can be found on searches by future headfiers. It's like they just want 17 replies of people asking "what are they?"

A close second is the thread of replies where two or more people are talking about a specific IEM, but there's nothing in the posts, words or context to say which one until you maybe (if you're lucky) click back eight replies to find the original post. To wit:

Post 1 (four pages ago): The XYZ has good bass
Post 2: Do they have good subbass?
Post 3: They have good subbass that doesn't roll off
Post 4. Do they bleed into the mids like ABC?
Post 5: They are comparable but they're better.
Post 6: (not quoted) Yes, they're much better.
Post 7: But the other one I'm not so sure about.
Post 8 (two days later): I know!!
Post 9: Glad we cleared that up!!! :cheers:

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #45,963 of 100,490
Well, to be precise, that would be closer to impressions than a full review. A possible negative could be that there is more sub-bass than the harman curve would have, so people who prefer bass-light IEMs may not like that. For me it's the opposite, as I previously had low interest for planar magnetics for their low bass levels.

The sources I tried so far are SMSL M500 dac/amp, Sennheiser Flex 5000 transmitter/receiver and Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone. The phone has less audio quality and far less volume than the other two of course. However, I'd imagine that many people would think the phone is ok for occasional use if you have no better source. I have preordered both a Zorloo Ztella usb-c dac cable and a Hiby R3 Pro for mobile use.

The Sennheiser Flex 5000 is a wireless transmitter/receiver system with optical input, some sort of 2.4ghz wireless transmission system, support for up to 96khz/24bit PCM audio, >90dBA SNR, and a headphone jack on the receiver so you can wireless-ify any headphone/iem. It has a lot more volume and better audio quality than the phone. I haven't seen any reviews or measurements for it from an audiophile point of view - someone should do one.
Would you mind reviewing the tri i3? I have shuoer tape, NiceHCK n7 pro and Koss portapro, and would like to understand it here would be nice to have them too or not...thanks a lot

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #45,964 of 100,490
Would you mind reviewing the tri i3? I have shuoer tape, NiceHCK n7 pro and Koss portapro, and would like to understand it here would be nice to have them too or not...thanks a lot

Well, my view of the I3 compared to the other iems I own or have owned is that it is easily better than those. This may not be a good starting point for a comparison review. I also haven't heard the first two you listed. Did read a lot about the Tape though. People will be writing comparisons to it soon as it seems to be the most obvious comparison in many aspects. I could make a comparison from the FR graphs and what I've read, but I think I'd better not. Except that I can say with 100% certainty that Black Sabbath sounds better on the I3. :)

For the iems/headphones that I do own, the D7200 would be the most sensible comparison. It is the RRP $1000 2017 flagship over-ear headphone of a 110-year old Japanese brand. This also may not be a good starting point for writing your first IEM review.

I most likely won't be ordering a whole bunch of different iems/headphones soon either as my first electrostat, the rather expensive ST7 model of another brand that I ordered on BF will be arriving next week. And my first full-size planars, the Takstar HF 580 will also arrive in a few weeks. Other than that, I will next be looking to get an IEM that's good to use at gym. I feel the I3 aren't the best for this use as they are on the large and heavy side and they have a warm, pleasant, wide and thick sound that almost evokes a virtual reality -like sense of being present somewhere else. At a gym you want to focus on your immediate surroundings and on what you're doing. I think I want BA or planar bass here. Haven't actually ever heard the latter yet.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #45,965 of 100,490
Well, my view of the I3 compared to the other iems I own or have owned is that it is easily better than those. This may not be a good starting point for a comparison review. I also haven't heard the first two you listed. Did read a lot about the Tape though. People will be writing comparisons to it soon as it seems to be the most obvious comparison in many aspects. I could make a comparison from the FR graphs and what I've read, but I think I'd better not. Except that I can say with 100% certainty that Black Sabbath sounds better on the I3. :)

For the iems/headphones that I do own, the D7200 would be the most sensible comparison. It is the RRP $1000 2017 flagship over-ear headphone of a 110-year old Japanese brand. This also may not be a good starting point for writing your first IEM review.

I most likely won't be ordering a whole bunch of different iems/headphones soon either as my first electrostat, the rather expensive ST7 model of another brand that I ordered on BF will be arriving next week. And my first full-size planars, the Takstar HF 580 will also arrive in a few weeks. Other than that, I will next be looking to get an IEM that's good to use at gym. I feel the I3 aren't the best for this use as they are on the large and heavy side and they have a warm, pleasant, wide and thick sound that almost evokes a virtual reality -like sense of being present somewhere else. At a gym you want to focus on your immediate surroundings and on what you're doing. I think I want BA or planar bass here. Haven't actually ever heard the latter yet.
Thanks for the tip.
If they are any good for hard rock, metal and progressive rock/metal, than I am already in (pushed the buy button few minutes ago)!
Happy new year!

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #45,966 of 100,490
Haven't been keeping track very well... curious has there been any thread consensus IEM favorite for 2019? Think the DM6 were the popular pick last time I tried to catch up.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #45,969 of 100,490
Haven't been keeping track very well... curious has there been any thread consensus IEM favorite for 2019? Think the DM6 were the popular pick last time I tried to catch up.

As always it's going to be hard to get a consensus as everyone will suggest their favorites. The LZ A6 and A6mini seem to be loved by pretty much everyone that's got them (myself including) so at least they're very little polarizing.

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #45,970 of 100,490
Hello guys again i bought nicehck db3 and absolutely like it. Yesterday my wife tried my db3 and she want it also i think im gonna giveaway my db3 and i will buy something new. So do you know when is next aliexpress discount like 11.11 and is blon bl03 good upgrade for me or do you have another suggestion. Happy new years:beerchug:

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #45,971 of 100,490
The thing i REALLY like about chifi stuff as a hobbyist and not a reviewer is that you can demo different stuff for extremely cheap and have a lot of different types of sets. If you find something you really like, you can hop into a higher end TOTL model of that type that'll be much more expensive, and only a little better.

I live in Iowa, so I don't get... Any local chance to demo gear unless I order it and return it...

In the past I'd been doing it in reverse, basically just "guessing" on pairs I might like and ordering them (Andromeda and CL2 come to mind). For $130, I can easily consider the Shuoer tape as nothing more than a demo if I end up not liking it... The EE est models though? Hell no, that's too big of a risk having never heard them.

I wish I understood a little more about the designs to tell how similar they really are... But the gap definitely seems to be narrowing, especially with 3d printing and crossover tech being so widespread now. I consider my bqeyz bq3 to basically be a budget version of the EE Legend X. I understand that it does some of the things the EE Legend X does only in cheaper or less complicated ways, but I'm not asking it to be essentially perfect like the legend x needs to be at that price.... The thing cost me $50, and with EQ and MSEB I can get it within spitting distance of the LX to my ears, and that's pretty damn impressive.
Hmm I was considering legend x, maybe I should just get those ones you mention

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #45,972 of 100,490
Happy NEW YEARS everyone. Looking forward to what 2020 has in store for us. Can't wait to see what is gonna happen this year. Hope you all have a healthy and happy new years.
DSC06829.JPG This year starts out with a bang. A very nice sounding TRI I3 with a cable that I just got. ISN AG8. Silver is most definitely agreeable with the TRI I3.
I don't expect you all to spend $200 on a cable for a earphone that cost $160 but what pure silver cable does for the TRI I3? It simply puts them into a different level sonically. It sounds more airy has more detail and imaging now pops. Better cleaner treble extension. Mids now have more distinction and is more precise. Bass is tighter yet better defined. Sounds superb with this cable. Silver coated copper or pure silver highly recommended for the Tri I3 to bring them into a different category in sonics.. Copper adds more warmth which the tuning already has so silver all the way.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #45,974 of 100,490
why you laughing? though the price is a bit excessive, i got a 16 core pure copper cable for my NX7, and boy was that NOT the right cable for it. the difference between that and the stock was night and day. if we could sit down and share the iem, you'd notice the difference as well. way too bassy and dark. it thickened the note presentation, but some of the details that make the NX7 so delicious took a step back. I'd rather have the thinner notes and that crazy mature bass and wildly apparent detail retrieval than a more bassy and musical/darker sound. cables can make a difference.

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #45,975 of 100,490
my kids got me a Amazon gift card, and i literally went through hundreds of earphones, cables, dacs, and reviews, and i ended up settling on the SONICAST DIRAC-S501 MK2.

Someone who's a frequenter of this thread has them, and mentioned they are sonically as good or better as the NX7 and Andromeda, plus some other rare reviews were also very positive. the only knock i found was that they might not have the widest sound stage, but then again, that was a knock on the NX7, and i find the stage to be just fine with the NX7 (only slightly smaller than the Sennheiser's, the kings of stage). this Korean iem is supposedly a detail monster, so i'm excited to see how this single dynamic fits in with my overflowing collection of single D's? I think they didn't get traction because no removable cable. this seems to be a deal breaker with the pampered removable cable crowd nowadays, no matter how amazing or dynamic an earphone sounds.

41vEZHmhcWL._SL1000_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back