The discovery thread!
Dec 30, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #45,946 of 100,490
It is like a planar version of it. Lol I kid you not I was just thinking wow these have some striking similarities to the H40. Bass I don't think is as punchy. Sub bass rumble is off the hook on these. It is more sub bass than mid bass. Treble is slightly reserved giving them a slightly warmer tilt to tonality. But then I haven't done any burn in or tip rolling or cable rolling. Treble extension and detail is better on the H40 but otherwise these have a similar style of musical presentation as the H40. big spacious sound. Mids are smooooooth. That planar is speaking to me.

Ya when taken as a whole it is a relaxed smooth listen. Big wide mid band planar driver makes this set unique. Because it has such a large and deep head stage for in ears. Live sets sound amazing on it. Listening to some Eric Clapton Unplugged. Sounds amazing.

The sound isn't perfect but for the price we paid for them. I think people will be pleased with these.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #45,947 of 100,490
It is like a planar version of it. Lol I kid you not I was just thinking wow these have some striking similarities to the H40. Bass I don't think is as punchy. Sub bass rumble is off the hook on these. It is more sub bass than mid bass. Treble is slightly reserved giving them a slightly warmer tilt to tonality. But then I haven't done any burn in or tip rolling or cable rolling. Treble extension and detail is better on the H40 but otherwise these have a similar style of musical presentation as the H40. big spacious sound. Mids are smooooooth. That planar is speaking to me.

Ya when taken as a whole it is a relaxed smooth listen. Big wide mid band planar driver makes this set unique. Because it has such a large and deep head stage for in ears. Live sets sound amazing on it. Listening to some Eric Clapton Unplugged. Sounds amazing.

The sound isn't perfect but for the price we paid for them. I think people will be pleased with these.

As long as they EQ alright they sound like they'll be right up my alley. Was a bit worried the dynamic was too small to give me the bass I want, but this is somewhat reassuring. I'm sure it'll be a system shock going from listening to the urbanfun isso14 to those though. As most pairs would be....

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #45,948 of 100,490

I have them for about 5 days, the treble does extend, some rough patches along the way but it all eventually smooths out.

Out of the box, they sound real sweet. Was worried the bass might be a bit polite, but after a few hours, it came out in full bloom

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #45,950 of 100,490

Niceee, seems like a perfect middle ground of P1 and OH10

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #45,952 of 100,490
Just got these. Have them with a new copper cable connected to my IBasso DX160.
Excellent Sub bass rumble. Dynamic on these do bass really good. Smooth rich mid section. Spacious. Large stage. Full bodied. No irritating treble spikes I can detect. These sound damn good. Housing is a bit larger same size as NiceHCKs F3. But end results is a big full musical sound.

I bought this cable to go with this thing. Not sure yet if it is the best for the sonics but. So far I can't say I didn't get my monies worth. These are already way better than the F3. Which was what I was hoping for. Not bad. Not bad at all for the money I paid. I think guys that ended up getting these during sales period will be pleased. Will have more to say once I get some burn in done.

Vs A6 and H40?

Oops sorry it has been discussed on next posts.
How is the spatial cue and imaging, since H40 strong point is the layering and holographic imaging?

And which one have more forwarded mids?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #45,954 of 100,490
Vs A6 and H40?

Oops sorry it has been discussed on next posts.
How is the spatial cue and imaging, since H40 strong point is the layering and holographic imaging?

And which one have more forwarded mids?

H40 has a slightly more forward mid range but what makes the Tri I3 mid bands kinda unique is just how wide the mid bands are. Probably the widest mid range I have heard on just about any earphone. It is like 30% bass 50% mids 20% treble. Is how I hear it. It sounds cohesive but the mids encompass a far left to the far right in just about all tracks I have heard. Makes them sound like your standing in a big town hall.

No worries on bass. These definitely have it. Sub bass is very good on these. Will rumble with the best of em. Mid bass is not bad some might want more mid bass but for me it sounds right. I think if these had more mid bass it might step on the lower mids but as it is. The bass and mids are very nicely separated. I did some tip rolling and settled on some Symbio W peeled tips. Adds a touch of treble more so than the foams I was using.

As for the comparison to the H40. H40 has the precision and imaging that pops. The Tri I3 is good but is not at that level. I think it is due more to the H40 using a custom BA and the Tri I3 using a planar for the mids and it shows the strengths of both drivers. They are both enjoyable but both have a different sound. Good to have a choice.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #45,955 of 100,490
H40 has a slightly more forward mid range but what makes the Tri I3 mid bands kinda unique is just how wide the mid bands are. Probably the widest mid range I have heard on just about any earphone. It is like 30% bass 50% mids 20% treble. Is how I hear it. It sounds cohesive but the mids encompass a far left to the far right in just about all tracks I have heard. Makes them sound like your standing in a big town hall.

No worries on bass. These definitely have it. Sub bass is very good on these. Will rumble with the best of em. Mid bass is not bad some might want more mid bass but for me it sounds right. I think if these had more mid bass it might step on the lower mids but as it is. The bass and mids are very nicely separated. I did some tip rolling and settled on some Symbio W peeled tips. Adds a touch of treble more so than the foams I was using.

As for the comparison to the H40. H40 has the precision and imaging that pops. The Tri I3 is good but is not at that level. I think it is due more to the H40 using a custom BA and the Tri I3 using a planar for the mids and it shows the strengths of both drivers. They are both enjoyable but both have a different sound. Good to have a choice.
Is the Tri I3 hard to drive?

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #45,956 of 100,490
It is a 15 Ohm earphone. Easy to drive. But I do notice the sound gets more dynamic with more power.

So due to the warmer tonality of the I3. I think SPC cables are better for these. Of course manufacturer provides a warm copper cable. Lol.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #45,957 of 100,490
It is a 15 Ohm earphone. Easy to drive. But I do notice the sound gets more dynamic with more power.

So due to the warmer tonality of the I3. I think SPC cables are better for these. Of course manufacturer provides a warm copper cable. Lol.
resistance is not that big of a deal with Planars, for example the Tin P1 is 20 Ohms but It is absolutely crap on a phone, even though based on the resistance phones should be able to drive them.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #45,959 of 100,490

Nice to see other people getting to enjoy the I3 as well. Might as well post some further impressions of my own as I have probably spent the most time here with them.

I actually ordered them blindly just by looking at the frequency response graph provided by the manufacturer. It was the kind of graph that I had been looking for for about 4 years already. I had gotten the idea of this kind of graph from trying both the Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 in 2015. The S1 had boosted sub-bass which sounded better, but the S2 was better at everything else. I concluded that this feeling was primarily due to the S2 mids and low treble following the Harman graph very closely from 1kHz to 3kHz (about +5db rise from 1 kHz to 2 kHz and about +4db rise from 2 kHz to 3 kHz with no spikes). So I figured my ideal IEMs would have the sub-bass boost of the S1 and the kind of mids and low treble that the S2 had. This was actually the first such graph that I had found in four years.

I thought that even if something else was wrong about them, I would at least like the frequency response. But they were unexpectedly amazing in other respects as well.

Perhaps the most unexpected feature of the I3 to me is that with good sources, they can go very, very, very loud without losing much detail or soundstage. For example on bassy thrash metal tracks, the low-roaring bass track, multiple distorted guitars and multiple vocal tracks can be still heard in distinction and good detail at volumes comparable to live shows. The sound on my other IEMs disintegrates into a complete mess long before that. This combined with the wide soundstage makes you want to start your own mosh pit in front of your computer desk.

To describe the bass further I'd compare it with the bass on my Denon D7200. The D7200 has a warm and mellow but still highly detailed mid-bass that bleeds somewhat to both to the lower mids and the sub-bass, slightly obscuring detail on the latter. The sub-bass however is there too, but the boost is in the midbass. On the Tri I3, the boost is in the sub-bass, which is very detailed and controlled.

On many (most, I'd say) contemporary music genres I prefer the sub-bass boost of the Tri I3 over the midbass boost of the D7200. There is more bass in general in 2000's music than in 70's music and this is more so on sub-bass than midbass. On genres such as hip hop, many forms of electronic music, and some forms of metal music sub-bass information is more central than midbass and the I3 brings these details up very nicely in its wide soundstage.

The D7200 I would prefer in for example the aforementioned Eric Clapton or any music that needs to be made to sound prominently warmer than it actually is. It's a kind of "listening to classic rock from vintage speakers" kind of feel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back