The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #45,991 of 100,468
I would give it a good burn and see where it goes. It has potential for certain. I think it already sounds better than the DB3 but that isn't really saying much. It isn't a complete fail out of the box but I see what your saying about the bass end. I do expect that large dynamic to loosen up and sound better over time.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #45,992 of 100,468
I would give it a good burn and see where it goes. It has potential for certain. I think it already sounds better than the DB3 but that isn't really saying much. It isn't a complete fail out of the box but I see what your saying about the bass end. I do expect that large dynamic to loosen up and sound better over time.

Yeah the EA3 sounded quite bad OOTB, super harsh treble and woolly bass. I left it to burn in about 10 hours plus and it sounded much better the next day.
Will burn in more and try more tip rolling.
Look forward to your impressions!

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #45,994 of 100,468
Ea3 should be better than blon bl03.
İs it better¿

It's comparing oranges to apples as one is a hybrid (EA3) and one is a single DD that are tuned very differently. It really depends on what your preferred sound signature is and what you look for in your music and your preferred music genres.

EA 3:
- U shaped/V shaped tuning with bright tuning, depending on tips/source/volume played at (Fletcher Munson Curve)
- Better technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, clarity, details)
- Better isolation
- Better fit (no need to mess around with aftermarket tips +/- cables unlike the BLON)
- Soundstage width about on par maybe EA3 is slightly wider
- More V shaped, brighter on treble than BLON. Treble and subbass extends much more than BLON
- Subbass > midbass in quantity
- More fatiguing for lower treble/upper mids area on longer listening sessions especially for female vocals. I feel it is bordering on harshness in those frequencies, but trebleheads will like it.

BLON BL-03:
- Harmanish/L shaped tuning
- Thicker note weight
- Slightly better tonality/timbre (EA3 is no slouch in the timbre department) - better for slower genres with more acoustic instruments. Not as good as EA3 in complex passages/multiple instrumentations. Slower in bass speed than EA3
- Less fatiguing, warmer and less bright on treble, higher treble roll off
- Middbass > subbass quantity
- Poorer isolation
- Poorer fit (assuming stock tips/cables)

Overall, I would recommend the EA3 for you if you are into EDM, electronic music, or genres that are very fast and need speed in the bass or if u need to have good instrument separation for complex passages/multiple instrumentation. If u are into timbre/tonality for slower genres which incorporate acoustic instruments, the BLON is better in these areas. EA3 is probable also more versatile due to this (and its better technicalities).
EA3 on paper appears to be almost double the pricing of the BLON, but since the BLON has poor stock tips +/- cable, if you do invest in aftermarket sets for these, the costs are thereabouts.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #45,995 of 100,468
Forbidden experiment #1... received the BLON BL-03, figured I would check out the hype on those... short stem means average fit for me with universal tips so I went a bit crazy and took out my Custom Art silicon tips added Null Audio Arete plugged on N6ii with E01 and... oh my, this sounds pretty good (much better than with the universal tips) and only 12 hours burn in on those...

D6865842-5B0A-4835-9A9F-5C7B78E8448A.jpeg

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #45,996 of 100,468
So I feel I finally got a good burn in on the TRI I3. Did some cable and tip rolling on them and here is a case where the sound is so big that I figured a wider bored tip is the best way to go. Spiral dots kinda work but they don't really fit good on the nozzle. Then I found my old pouch of whirl wind tips.

DSC06854.JPG And just like that. A BIG wide deep sound from the Tri I3. So much sound coming out of these. These have been steadily growing on me ever since I got them. I have to say these things sounds fantastic. I am way more impressed with these than the FDX1 at half the price I got these for. These beat a lot of earphones that cost a lot more. Sound has tightened up with burn in. Going balanced with these yields some amazing full bodied smooth sound. Vocals sound just superb using these. Reason why these Whirl wind tips works. These tips actually has a design flaw. The stem is way too short and they sit on earphones a bit too shallow which does not allow for the big wide mouth to throw out sonics like a horn that it should. But on the Tri I3. They actually fit right up to the ridge.
DSC06855.JPG
DSC06856.JPG

Whirl wind tips. Highly recommended on the Tri I3 if you have them.
HTB1xhR4c2MTUeJjSZFKq6ygopXaP.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #45,997 of 100,468
So I feel I finally got a good burn in on the TRI I3. Did some cable and tip rolling on them and here is a case where the sound is so big that I figured a wider bored tip is the best way to go. Spiral dots kinda work but they don't really fit good on the nozzle. Then I found my old pouch of whirl wind tips.

And just like that. A BIG wide deep sound from the Tri I3. So much sound coming out of these. These have been steadily growing on me ever since I got them. I have to say these things sounds fantastic. I am way more impressed with these than the FDX1 at half the price I got these for. These beat a lot of earphones that cost a lot more. Sound has tightened up with burn in. Going balanced with these yields some amazing full bodied smooth sound. Vocals sound just superb using these. Reason why these Whirl wind tips works. These tips actually has a design flaw. The stem is way too short and they sit on earphones a bit too shallow which does not allow for the big wide mouth to throw out sonics like a horn that it should. But on the Tri I3. They actually fit right up to the ridge.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #45,999 of 100,468
Could you compare the i3 to the H40 and which do you think would be best suited for classic and progressive rock. I currently have the DM6 though I find them a bit bright at times. Looking for more bass and smoother treble.
TIA

I have both i3 and H40. Can you give me specific example of music/song I can compare for you?

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #46,000 of 100,468
I have both i3 and H40. Can you give me specific example of music/song I can compare for you?
Thank you, that would be greatly appreciated. On the Marillion album FEAR, the 4th track El Dorado F.E.A.R, has very reverby vocals and heavy bass at around 2:54 a distorted electric guitar is in the background. On some headphones the guitar is very faint or muted on my speakers it really is nicely distorted. Would be curious which IEM you think makes the guitar pop more. Another track to compare, Led Zeppelin's A Whole Lot of Love, which IEM rocks that song better? It will be my luck that each iem works better on one song each.. :dt880smile:

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #46,001 of 100,468
Ok since I am mostly classical music listener take this impression with a grain of salt.
Also I am just running them out of my old iphone 6s via apple music as I don’t have the mentioned songs in my music server.

Led Zeppelin’s a whole lot of love:
i3’s vocal and instruments separation seems better than H40 with slightly better imaging. I3 has deeper and wider staging as well. Mids are nicely positioned on both neither recessed nor too forward. I3 vocal seems more dampened and focused, whereas H40’s vocal is slightly diffused with softer tone. I3 bass feels more textured and has faster attack and decay than H40’s softer albeit very impactful and fun bass. I3 sounds more dynamic with better sustained PRaT. Both has reasonably detailed highs with good timbre. I3 overall more enjoyable for me, but some might prefer more analogue sounding H40. Although I would suspect if I have a high res file and play it through my 9038s, this gap might widen with i3’s tendency to responding well with amping.
Bonus- Shouer Tape: Almost too fatiguing to listen. Dry and thin vocal. No go.
Bonus 2- Brainwavs B400: way rolled off either ends making a such boring listen. Maybe good if you are trying to fall sleep while listening. Another no go.

El Dorado FEAR: H40 again has softer vocal and exhibits little bit of sibilance for me here. 2:54 mark, I notice i3 separate everything nicely where as h40 muddies up a little. Easily more enjoyable with I3 on this particular track.

FYI I enjoy both almost equally when they are playing jazz or classical music genre.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #46,002 of 100,468

And just like that. A BIG wide deep sound from the Tri I3. So much sound coming out of these. These have been steadily growing on me ever since I got them. I have to say these things sounds fantastic. I am way more impressed with these than the FDX1 at half the price I got these for. These beat a lot of earphones that cost a lot more. Sound has tightened up with burn in. Going balanced with these yields some amazing full bodied smooth sound. Vocals sound just superb using these. Reason why these Whirl wind tips works. These tips actually has a design flaw. The stem is way too short and they sit on earphones a bit too shallow which does not allow for the big wide mouth to throw out sonics like a horn that it should. But on the Tri I3. They actually fit right up to the ridge.

Great!
Any chance to compare the i3 with the Shouer tape and NiceHCK NX7 pro?

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #46,003 of 100,468
Ok since I am mostly classical music listener take this impression with a grain of salt.
Also I am just running them out of my old iphone 6s via apple music as I don’t have the mentioned songs in my music server.

Led Zeppelin’s a whole lot of love:
i3’s vocal and instruments separation seems better than H40 with slightly better imaging. I3 has deeper and wider staging as well. Mids are nicely positioned on both neither recessed nor too forward. I3 vocal seems more dampened and focused, whereas H40’s vocal is slightly diffused with softer tone. I3 bass feels more textured and has faster attack and decay than H40’s softer albeit very impactful and fun bass. I3 sounds more dynamic with better sustained PRaT. Both has reasonably detailed highs with good timbre. I3 overall more enjoyable for me, but some might prefer more analogue sounding H40. Although I would suspect if I have a high res file and play it through my 9038s, this gap might widen with i3’s tendency to responding well with amping.
Bonus- Shouer Tape: Almost too fatiguing to listen. Dry and thin vocal. No go.
Bonus 2- Brainwavs B400: way rolled off either ends making a such boring listen. Maybe good if you are trying to fall sleep while listening. Another no go.

El Dorado FEAR: H40 again has softer vocal and exhibits little bit of sibilance for me here. 2:54 mark, I notice i3 separate everything nicely where as h40 muddies up a little. Easily more enjoyable with I3 on this particular track.

FYI I enjoy both almost equally when they are playing jazz or classical music genre.

I also kinda have a similar taste in music like u, do you like the tin hifi P1... Just asking coz if the answer is what I expect I'd take ur opinions with more than just a grain of salt.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #46,004 of 100,468
New Shuoer product! Hot on the heels of the Tape. Shuoer Singer: https://www.linsoul.com/products/shuoer-singer
If it is truly an Estat driver, I don't recall seeing one below $100 USD.

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Specs:
- Electrostatic Driver + 8 mm DD
- Frequency Response: 20 - 30kHz
- Sensitivity: 103 dB/m
- Impedance: 32 ohm

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #46,005 of 100,468

Users who are viewing this thread

Back