The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #45,391 of 106,418
Timbre definitely doesn't graph.
Funny-Tiger-Meme-How-Fascinating-Come-Closer-And-Tell-Me-More-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #45,393 of 106,418
Graphs mean very little to me. Detail doesn't necessarily graph. Timbre definitely doesn't graph. Sure, one can spot a recessed mid range or an overly enthusiastic bass, but there is much more to sound than a graph
+1 Definitely agree! ...For example, Hecate GM360 by EDIFIER has a professional engaging sound signature with plenty of dominating clean and transparent clarity even though the FR graph might not display the middle and upper range when compared to the lower deep sub-range. Basically, the overall sound signature is extremely pleasant and are that good!

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #45,396 of 106,418
Yep that cable looks way too loose. Like handmade gone wrong.

That diamond graph looks way too v-shaped with too much bass and overly recessed mids, disappointing for us who like neutral / u-shape, but I suppose it will please the masses and sell well vOv.

I think I'll get another T2 on sale instead.
Doesn't sound really V-shaped, probably because the bass is rather fast for a DD (and very well extended into the sub-bass, where it stays composed - and doesn't get fuzzy). Midrange is not back as the bass doesn't smudge, there is incredible depth added by the bass, and the resolution is exquisite (better than the TRN BA5). Vocals reproduction is stellar. The T2 has much less technical finesse and also not that organic timbre ("tonal accuracy"). Wait for comments by listeners before you judge...and buy moreofthesame.

Graphs tells you about the quantity of sound, not (directly) about the quality. Another example of a great sounding earphone with a horrible graph is the VE BIE...and that one also has a fantastic timbre. It is the timbre that appeals most to the ear.

Actually, this depends whether you use music to listen to the gear, or the gear to listen to your music.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #45,397 of 106,418
Doesn't sound really V-shaped, probably because the bass is rather fast for a DD (and very well extended into the sub-bass, where it stays composed - and doesn't get fuzzy). Midrange is not back as the bass doesn't smudge, there is incredible depth added by the bass, and the resolution is exquisite (better than the TRN BA5). Vocals reproduction is stellar. The T2 has much less technical finesse and also not that organic timbre ("tonal accuracy"). Wait for comments by listeners before you judge...and buy moreofthesame.

Graphs tells you about the quantity of sound, not (directly) about the quality. Another example of a great sounding earphone with a horrible graph is the VE BIE...and that one also has a fantastic timbre. It is the timbre that appeals most to the ear.

Actually, this depends whether you use music to listen to the gear, or the gear to listen to your music.

I'm not closed-minded at all, but look, I'm sorry even if the timbre is "exquisite" (big words) if there's too much bass it's invariably detrimental to an audiophile experience. People demand it, and it must sell, I get it. If there's one thing graphs do tell, it's bass quantity. Again lots of ppl like it, so don't mind me, my voice is not the market voice.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #45,398 of 106,418
I'm not closed-minded at all, but look, I'm sorry even if the timbre is "exquisite" (big words) if there's too much bass it's invariably detrimental to an audiophile experience. People demand it, and it must sell, I get it. If there's one thing graphs do tell, it's bass quantity. Again lots of ppl like it, so don't mind me, my voice is not the market voice.
Listen before judging. Although...reviews based entirely on FR graphs would be interesting. The Diamond's bass is faster than your TGV. Review units will be sent out on Monday. Wait and see! One of the reviewers has the KPE and possibly access to the Tin Hifi T4.

UPDATE...I just wrote this on my blog (not yet published): At Head-Fi, some complained about the frequency response chosen by us tuners: too bassy! We had to work with the driver given to us -- and the different tuning filters The tuning filters did not allow for a FR between red and blue [FR graphs]. Blue may be a tad bassy for audiophiles, but it adds depth to the soundstage -- and volume to the image. This results in a well balanced tonality. The red FR creates a bass that is a bit too weak for many. This keeps the midrange as is but brings out the high end...as the human ear hears the whole FR spectrum in context...which throws the tonality slightly out of balance and creates a flatter image. We learn: the driver quality plays a huge role in the tuning and the shape of the optimal FR. It is no surprise that most $10 earphones typically have a very V-shaped FR. In our mid-tier case, the FR curve is the best possible compromise.

77299345_438235193733354_2950824548771037184_n.jpg

Photo by KopiOkaya

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #45,399 of 106,418
I ordered the Urbanfun ISS014 on 11:11 and received them yesterday. I did not have time to listen until tonight ( yesterday was a headphone day).

WOW! It says something when I start a test track and then just sit back and listen to the whole album. Using the preinstalled tips and the stock pink cable. Excellent.

Another album begins..don't want to stop.

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #45,400 of 106,418
Graphs mean very little to me. Detail doesn't necessarily graph. Timbre definitely doesn't graph. Sure, one can spot a recessed mid range or an overly enthusiastic bass, but there is much more to sound than a graph
But I agree with Tonymac136 that you can't really graph things like detail retrieval, instrument separation or stage/air.
I have to disagree, since i see many people here talking about how human ear is unique and how no measurement can repeat what ear can hear. I understand that many of us here come from different backgrounds that often have nothing in common with electronics and acoustics. And in that case maximum what one can see in frequency responce chart is "recessed mid range" or "overly enthusiastic" bass...
First of all most of the siginificant characteristics of the iems (frequency response, phase response, impulse response, waterfall plots, harmonic distortions charts) can be measured with the same equipment the reviewers usually take simple FR charts. Other thing is that these very reviewers should know how to interpret those graphs (which is questionable) and know how to convey those results to the untrained readers (even more questionable).
Using raw FR charts without smoothing is mislieading as one can see a narrow 6dB dip at the 6K and think that this is something very "hearable" by untrained ear... We hear better peaks than dips. In fact 1/3 octave bands are standartisized because "If two tones are heard simultaneously, and are in the same critical band (1/3 octave band), they will be perceived as a single tone with a “beat frequency” modulating the loudness of the tone. The beat frequency is the difference in Hz between the two tones’ frequencies. If the tones are in different critical bands, they will be perceived as two distinct tones." As a result our hearing integrates (smoothes) those peaks and dips based on 1/3 octave. When we talk about TONAL BALANCE we should analyze 1/3 smoothed FR charts (or rougher like 2/3 octave or full octave). I could only speculate that IEM with buttery smooth 1/6-1/12 octave chart should outperform on micro-level over iem that has many peaks and dips on 1/6-1/12 chart that disappear after 1/3 octave smoothing.
TIMBRE is precieved by human ear not only by harmonic content of sound but also by the dynamic characteristics such as vibrato and attack-decay envelope of the sound. "Waterfall or C.S.D. (Cumulative Spectral Decay) plots give you some information about how fast the iem stops making sound after the signal has been abruptly stopped. Each material has it’s own resonance(s) which means that if we move a material it does not ‘stop’ moving immediately after the stimulus (an audio signal transient) is no longer present." BAs have "faster" bass than DDs because they stop moving earlier after "kick" note has played.
More on the subject here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #45,401 of 106,418
I ordered the Urbanfun ISS014 on 11:11 and received them yesterday. I did not have time to listen until tonight ( yesterday was a headphone day).

WOW! It says something when I start a test track and then just sit back and listen to the whole album. Using the preinstalled tips and the stock pink cable. Excellent.

Another album begins..don't want to stop.
Do you have the Blons, too?

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #45,404 of 106,418
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #45,405 of 106,418
Tonight was my first listen and now it is 1am here...I cannot attempt to answer that now. The housing is not THAT similar when you put them side by side.

I think someone was comparing them a few pages back.

@Otto Motor found the post

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3024#post-15332818
Cool, I'm looking for some cheap berrylium drivers to get and thought the shozy 1.1 and even more expensive dunu Titan 6 were my options.

I only see one store selling these, UF audio store, shop reviews are less than stellar. Any issues or did you get them elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back