The discovery thread!
Nov 24, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #45,241 of 101,264
Not buying the DUNU DM-480 being so good. As of late you have to shell out to get good from them. Heck, outside of the Trident I don't think they have had any other sub $100 winners. They have to win us back over big time from them just getting pricier and pricier. Falcon C was lackluster at $219 and this market is tough. Titan 6 hasn't really taken off either. Don't think I am alone at being very cautious on these.

How big are the DDs? I'm definitely interested in owning a pair of DUNU iems but the Titan 6 sound sort of mediocre from word of mouth, and the new 2001 is past my point of diminishing returns for not offering any truly "unique" tech.

My theory is the T6 didn't take off due to the form factor. There's a lot to like about the sound, so it's too bad. They are my current favorite for rock music.

Like SciOC said before, there is some less than stellar word of mouth overall. Titans before had no issue with form factor. I had or heard all of them and they were pretty popular. Was looking forward to what they were dialing in on at the time but then the Falcon C which was a nice jump from the $139 range and wasn't that hot and then the T6 came finally after a while but I was also not convinced enough to buy them. I waited and at $129 bought the Tape which I wear straight down. Was wanting a straight down MMCX to use with BT amp and Fiio Short cable just never wanted to pull the trigger even with the great case they come with :)

Personally I really like the T6. If you like the sort of warm and bassy W shape of some of the Campfire Audio models like Lyra2 then this is in the same ballpark technically. The only thing that stood out from being a slam dunk there is the short decay/splash on hi hats and cymbals, but otherwise it's a really enjoyable and decent technical performer for the price.

Their higher end models like the DK-4001 recently have been capable of using blows with stuff like the Andromeda , and the cable with interchangeable connectors is excellent, so hope the new models continue the same vein of quality.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #45,242 of 101,264
@SciOC

Off topic, I know but I have severe OCD, depresses the crap out of me but not much I can do about it :disappointed: Not enough research has been put into this, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

There is a supplement that may be useful, called Ashgawandha (an Ayurvedic) Which has been extensively studied, used for thousands of years, and is very good for stress, depression and anxiety. I take it every day. I also practice Stoicism, (I have a high stress wife/life) So you may want to check those out. Links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/ (the NIH is the US National Institute of Health, a Government body)
https://examine.com/supplements/ashwagandha/ (examine.com is where geeks and bodyhackers go to read all about drug interactions for any given substance.molecule. Seriously, they even have a page on testosterone.)
https://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Marcus-Aurelius-Antoninus-Emperor-ebook/dp/B004TIKXCE (A free copy of the George Long translation of "Meditations" from Amazon). One of the foundational works of Stoicism, and a quick read, but a deep one. The last of the five good emperors of Rome, and a decent man, (with a difficult wife/life) by all accounts. He's speaking to himself. But if you you read it, he's speaking directly to you.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #45,243 of 101,264
Personally I really like the T6. If you like the sort of warm and bassy W shape of some of the Campfire Audio models like Lyra2 then this is in the same ballpark technically. The only thing that stood out from being a slam dunk there is the short decay/splash on hi hats and cymbals, but otherwise it's a really enjoyable and decent technical performer for the price.

Yes, like I said less than stellar. More up and down and they certainly seem solid but not standing out. Some of the treble thing and a little about the bass reach and difference in decay in bass notes and treble hurting overall coherency. Mostly I resisted them due to the reported signature. Sounds like they went, for me, too much the other way. Titan1 was one way and had stuff too like. They started going the other way with the 3 and 5 then went with the T6 signature.

I did want more of a a slam dunk though :) 1,3,5 and 6 and they still didn't slam dunk it and had a couple of troubling quirks to the sound. I can be a hard marker but don't think so on what was really the fourth try in the series not counting the cheaper ES. All the Be talk and a decent wait for a "decent technical performer".

As far the the DM-480, I still say they I'm not convinced yet. Of course they will be well built, they look good, I am sure they will be solid but would be nice if they were a BLON-like slam dunk, have to have sort of thing. Don't want to hear "I like my V90" better or "still like the BLON more", for "$10 more the Form 1.1 is a better performer", etc.. Not sure DUNU will makes something that people would choose over the T6 being cheaper and performing as well. Nothing wrong with a good and solid performer. As always happy to be proven wrong and want to own one of them but not convinced yet they will make a standout at $69.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #45,244 of 101,264
Yes, like I said less than stellar. More up and down and they certainly seem solid but not standing out. Some of the treble thing and a little about the bass reach and difference in decay in bass notes and treble hurting overall coherency. Mostly I resisted them due to the reported signature. Sounds like they went, for me, too much the other way. Titan1 was one way and had stuff too like. They started going the other way with the 3 and 5 then went with the T6 signature.

I did want more of a a slam dunk though :) 1,3,5 and 6 and they still didn't slam dunk it and had a couple of troubling quirks to the sound. I can be a hard marker but don't think so on what was really the fourth try in the series not counting the cheaper ES. All the Be talk and a decent wait for a "decent technical performer".

Guess it depends what you are expecting from the price bracket. The clarity and resolution is actually pretty good, but isn't "in your face" due to the bass. I find them picking out details that my higher end gear usually captures, but just with less emphasis due to the weightier signature. Bass is fairly defined and tight, so it's not like it's a sloppy basshead kind of sig either

Don't have any experience with the previous Titan models, so don't know how much of a departure this is, but for a pick up and play IEM, I think they deserve their price in the current market. Again, not familiar with a lot of the newer chifi bang for buck kings, so may just be that my expectations are lower. :wink:

As always, preference plays a big part, and these are also pitched squarely in my sweet spot for tuning (warm, north of neutral bass, good vocals, smooth treble). Can definitely understand why they won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #45,245 of 101,264
This goes under the category of ‘new to me’, because it is hardly new to the community, but there may be others in my situation. Short background - I have been in the audio hobby for more than 40 years, primarily a tube analog guy, but focused on high end stereo equipment. Headphones and associated gear were considered mere ancillaries, and I lived happily with a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Precisions and a creek obh-11 with a creek obh-2 ps for most of the past 30 years. About a year ago I finally became interested in streaming audio, and in my learning about that, of course, I started reading more and more about headphones and related gear and became more and more intrigued. But, of course, at first, I was more interested in the amps than the headphones, and I have accumulated a couple of Bursons and a Schiit Lyr, as well as some very nice for the price audioengine gear.

Last week, I finally got my first planar magnetic headphones, a modest, pre-owned pair of HiFiMan HE-560s, and man do they do it for me. Compared to the Sennheisers I’ve been used to (HD590, 600, 700, 280 pro, eH497, eH350), all of which are situationally excellent imho, the hifimans have a way of just disappearing and simply presenting liquid, gorgeous sound, very reminiscent of my old quad Del-63 speakers. I am in love. If this is even just a small taste of what you can get with a pair of top audeze’s, I’m all in. Anyone else who, like me, has never experienced planars really owes it to themselves to give them a listen and see what they’ve been missing.

Now, of course, being the equipment junkie I am, I also have a pair of Focal Elears on the way (headphones.com has a package that includes a case, utopia or clear pads, and free shipping for $599 that was just too good for me to pass up), and I expect they, too, will be revelatory in their way. So, perhaps the real question will be how to decide which to listen to when you have more cans than amps? I’ve spent my audio life trying to perfect the sound of one pair of speakers or another, but always one at a time. In the headphone end of the hobby, it seems most have multiple sets of cans and amps and choose whichever one they feel like hearing at the moment. I’m having more fun with this stuff than I have in a long time - what a wealth of great choices! - but I have yet to figure out how to not want to hear everything all at the same time. I suppose THAT comes under the category of a nice problem yo have.

Can’t really say I had a point to make, although I thought I did when I started writing this post. Just the ramblings of an old codger who bought himself some fancy headphones for his 60th birthday. Hopefully someone will identify with them. And if this is the wrong thread for this, the moderators should feel free to move it to a more appropriate spot.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #45,246 of 101,264
Na your not on the wrong thread. After all the title of the thread is called discovery. Writing about a personal discovery and journey into audio is exactly what this thread is about. That should be encouraged to others. I am glad you can enjoy your new cans which gives another aspect of the journey. It is that time of year when we give thanks for the things we have. I actully feel more blessed than I have ever been. Sometimes we forget to appreciate what we have and how much things have evolved in the audio world. I am glad you posted about your experience which has me grateful of all things that I have and am able to enjoy about audio. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #45,247 of 101,264
Na your not on the wrong thread. After all the title of the thread is called discovery. Writing about a personal discovery and journey into audio is exactly what this thread is about. That should be encouraged to others. I am glad you can enjoy your new cans which gives another aspect of the journey. It is that time of year when we give thanks for the things we have. I actully feel more blessed than I have ever been. Sometimes we forget to appreciate what we have and how much things have evolved in the audio world. I am glad you posted about your experience which has me grateful of all things that I have and am able to enjoy about audio. :beerchug:

Well said Sir
I think we could improve this great site much more by considering ourselves as a community with a common interest and as such listen to and consider each others points
to enrich our own experiences and views
rather than be argumentative, disrespectful and frankly annoying :D

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #45,248 of 101,264
I do like planar headphones. My favourites are the HiFiMan HE-560's and Audeze LCD-X

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #45,249 of 101,264
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #45,251 of 101,264
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #45,252 of 101,264
There is a supplement that may be useful, called Ashgawandha (an Ayurvedic) Which has been extensively studied, used for thousands of years, and is very good for stress, depression and anxiety. I take it every day. I also practice Stoicism, (I have a high stress wife/life) So you may want to check those out. Links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/ (the NIH is the US National Institute of Health, a Government body)
https://examine.com/supplements/ashwagandha/ (examine.com is where geeks and bodyhackers go to read all about drug interactions for any given substance.molecule. Seriously, they even have a page on testosterone.)
https://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Marcus-Aurelius-Antoninus-Emperor-ebook/dp/B004TIKXCE (A free copy of the George Long translation of "Meditations" from Amazon). One of the foundational works of Stoicism, and a quick read, but a deep one. The last of the five good emperors of Rome, and a decent man, (with a difficult wife/life) by all accounts. He's speaking to himself. But if you you read it, he's speaking directly to you.
I will look into it, thanks :slight_smile:

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #45,254 of 101,264
This goes under the category of ‘new to me’, because it is hardly new to the community, but there may be others in my situation. Short background - I have been in the audio hobby for more than 40 years, primarily a tube analog guy, but focused on high end stereo equipment. Headphones and associated gear were considered mere ancillaries, and I lived happily with a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Precisions and a creek obh-11 with a creek obh-2 ps for most of the past 30 years. About a year ago I finally became interested in streaming audio, and in my learning about that, of course, I started reading more and more about headphones and related gear and became more and more intrigued. But, of course, at first, I was more interested in the amps than the headphones, and I have accumulated a couple of Bursons and a Schiit Lyr, as well as some very nice for the price audioengine gear.

Last week, I finally got my first planar magnetic headphones, a modest, pre-owned pair of HiFiMan HE-560s, and man do they do it for me. Compared to the Sennheisers I’ve been used to (HD590, 600, 700, 280 pro, eH497, eH350), all of which are situationally excellent imho, the hifimans have a way of just disappearing and simply presenting liquid, gorgeous sound, very reminiscent of my old quad Del-63 speakers. I am in love. If this is even just a small taste of what you can get with a pair of top audeze’s, I’m all in. Anyone else who, like me, has never experienced planars really owes it to themselves to give them a listen and see what they’ve been missing.

Now, of course, being the equipment junkie I am, I also have a pair of Focal Elears on the way (headphones.com has a package that includes a case, utopia or clear pads, and free shipping for $599 that was just too good for me to pass up), and I expect they, too, will be revelatory in their way. So, perhaps the real question will be how to decide which to listen to when you have more cans than amps? I’ve spent my audio life trying to perfect the sound of one pair of speakers or another, but always one at a time. In the headphone end of the hobby, it seems most have multiple sets of cans and amps and choose whichever one they feel like hearing at the moment. I’m having more fun with this stuff than I have in a long time - what a wealth of great choices! - but I have yet to figure out how to not want to hear everything all at the same time. I suppose THAT comes under the category of a nice problem yo have.

Can’t really say I had a point to make, although I thought I did when I started writing this post. Just the ramblings of an old codger who bought himself some fancy headphones for his 60th birthday. Hopefully someone will identify with them. And if this is the wrong thread for this, the moderators should feel free to move it to a more appropriate spot.

Enjoy!
I am in love with my HD700, but man I wish I could make it to one of the get-togethers to listen to some other headphones... With the exceptions of my Bose non-ANC earphones and the HD558 everything audio I've got I bought blind and that rather limits how adventuresome I feel about buying-to-try when I can't just return to a store (which I could have with the HD558, and had with something like five pairs I'd tried before it). There's so much awesome out there and if I was *that* rich I'd put the funds towards escaping Silicon Valley rent. I set a budget limit of "not the most expensive component in my desktop computer" when I went shopping for an upgrade to the HD558 but if I fell in love with something that was never a *hard* limit... :wink: (I did briefly consider breaking that limit for a used pair of HD800/S, having demoed the HD650/660S/800 at Sennheiser's SF store but decided based on reviews that the HD700 would be sufficiently almost-as-awesome to be worth saving some hundreds of $ and so far I don't regret it.)

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #45,255 of 101,264
Acoustyx R-220, 2 Knowles BAs, neutral "studio reference" tuning...really neutral. As neutral as the legendary Fostex TE-02, but much better resolving.

Fantastic for people who are looking for this kind of sound, horror for bassheads and funsters.

ZGlwCIw.jpg

td2k4k9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back